NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
basilseal

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Postby basilseal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Justin Vernon aka Bon Iver.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:59 pm

basilseal wrote:Justin Vernon aka Bon Iver.

This is a great page topper with no context XD

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Is he considering a career change?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:02 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Even when I figured out the context (Flips' tar), I was still lost. :P Never heard either of those names in my life. I'd wiki him/them, but...

I assume some sort of musical artist?

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Even when I figured out the context (Flips' tar), I was still lost. :P Never heard either of those names in my life. I'd wiki him/them, but...

Ohhhhhh, it's the tar. Yeah, Bon Iver is a band and Justin Vernon is the front man. They're quite good, if you're into indie rock.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:08 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Ohhhhhh, it's the tar. Yeah, Bon Iver is a band and Justin Vernon is the front man. They're quite good, if you're into indie rock.
Depends how 'indie'. :wink: I like some of everything, but when someone starts singing tunelessly about the contents of a glove compartment, I tend to put on some U2.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:11 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Depends how 'indie'. :wink: I like some of everything, but when someone starts singing tunelessly about the contents of a glove compartment, I tend to put on some U2.

Oh man, I lol'd hard. I don't like that song either. Really, Death Cab only have or two good songs. I'm not super into Bon Iver, but I like them. They are (or at least were) on Jagjaguar, a label out of Bloomington, IN.

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:12 pm

Bon Iver is good, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that the avatar was not Goose...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:21 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:Bon Iver is good, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that the avatar was not Goose...
Am I the only one ITT old enough to remember that movie when it first came out?

A good portion of my childhood was set to the Top Gun soundtrack.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
DaftAndDirect wrote:Bon Iver is good, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that the avatar was not Goose...

Considering it came out the year I was born...I'd say no, I don't remember it. :P

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

I remember it! FLY INTO THE DANGER ZONE! DANGER ZONE!!

unfortunately, i also remember the ambiguously homoerotic volleyball scene...

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:38 pm

jrthor10

Postby jrthor10 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:40 pm

This is slightly off topic, to the off-topic nature of the current conversation, but does anyone care to compare GULC and NU for me? I realize no one is a student yet, but I am interested in the perceived differences among applicants and any actual differences that anyone thinks makes one school significantly better/different than the other.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:41 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

After chasing sunsets, one of life's simple joys is playin' with the boys, right?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:42 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Nothin' ambiguous about it. Also one or two of the locker room scenes...

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:44 pm

jrthor10 wrote:This is slightly off topic, to the off-topic nature of the current conversation, but does anyone care to compare GULC and NU for me? I realize no one is a student yet, but I am interested in the perceived differences among applicants and any actual differences that anyone thinks makes one school significantly better/different than the other.

I did the GULC alum interview and I got the impression that the schools have a lot of similarity, actually. One of the important differences in my eyes though, is the student body. GULC's enrollment is huge and seems more policy/politics focused while NU's classes are much smaller, more focused on business, and are comprised of much cooler people.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 pm

Samara wrote:
jrthor10 wrote:This is slightly off topic, to the off-topic nature of the current conversation, but does anyone care to compare GULC and NU for me? I realize no one is a student yet, but I am interested in the perceived differences among applicants and any actual differences that anyone thinks makes one school significantly better/different than the other.

I did the GULC alum interview and I got the impression that the schools have a lot of similarity, actually. One of the important differences in my eyes though, is the student body. GULC's enrollment is huge and seems more policy/politics focused while NU's classes are much smaller, more focused on business, and are comprised of much cooler people.

Cooler? Its so on, bro. Dance-gang fight between NU and GULC :)

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:48 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
Samara wrote:

Cooler? Its so on, bro. Dance-gang fight between NU and GULC :)

Oh come on, you know you're coming here to be one of the cool kids as soon as Johann sends you the word.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Quote fail on my part. Page topper to make it worse. Oh well. Do yourselves a favor and listen to his "Holocene."

Or if you're in a real 80's mood with all this Top Gun talk, "Beth/Rest."

DaftAndDirect

Postby DaftAndDirect » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:49 pm

Too lazy to find the links to support the claim I'm about to make but can dig later if you PM me:

My understanding is that NU places better in Biglaw than its USNews ranking would suggest. This is partially because of the focus on clinical training and practical experience that NU places on its curriculum (but it's also because NU grads almost always have some kind of practical experience prior to law school that contributes to successful interviewing/ better job placement).

So basically, if your goal is Big Law, NU places better than g-town. Moreso than the mere 1 or 2 slot difference in rankings may suggest.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:12 pm

basilseal wrote:Quote fail on my part. Page topper to make it worse. Oh well. Do yourselves a favor and listen to his "Holocene."

Or if you're in a real 80's mood with all this Top Gun talk, "Beth/Rest."

My favorite song of his is "Blood Bank" from his Blood Bank EP. Also I think everyone should watch this Blogotheque video of them singing "For Emma, Forever Ago" acapella in Paris.

I really hope they walk away with a couple Grammys, mostly beating Nicky Minaj for Best New Artist.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:18 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:

Too lazy to find the links to support the claim I'm about to make but can dig later if you PM me:

My understanding is that NU places better in Biglaw than its USNews ranking would suggest. This is partially because of the focus on clinical training and practical experience that NU places on its curriculum (but it's also because NU grads almost always have some kind of practical experience prior to law school that contributes to successful interviewing/ better job placement).

So basically, if your goal is Big Law, NU places better than g-town. Moreso than the mere 1 or 2 slot difference in rankings may suggest.
Most recent NLJ250 placement stats:
2009: NU #1!, GULC #13 http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1
2010: NU #8, GULC #13 http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

All schools' percentages are way down from pre-crash (in 2008, the top school sent 70.5% to NLJ250).

We should be seeing the list for the class of 2011 in February.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Re: Northwestern v. GULC

I'd say the obvious advantage for Northwestern is class size. We have about 250 people per class compared to 500 full time plus 70 Part time at GULC. We also have students with more work experience who are on average a little older. I think this definitely leads to a noticeable maturity to the class since almost everyone has a year or more between undergrad and the start of law school. GULC might have a comparative advantage for government work since it's the top school in DC.

boalthopeful

Postby boalthopeful » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Wooo Johann tweets

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:55 pm

boalthopeful wrote:Wooo Johann tweets

What did he tweet?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”