NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crumpetsandtea

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:16 pm

TBH, I wouldn't worry if you're RD... It seems like NU is still working on getting through all the held ED applicants. Unless some people who applied after Oct already got in RD?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:23 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:TBH, I wouldn't worry if you're RD... It seems like NU is still working on getting through all the held ED applicants. Unless some people who applied after Oct already got in RD?

I didn't realize this was the case. That makes me feel a ton better about my chances

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:27 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:TBH, I wouldn't worry if you're RD... It seems like NU is still working on getting through all the held ED applicants. Unless some people who applied after Oct already got in RD?

I didn't realize this was the case. That makes me feel a ton better about my chances

I'd check LSN just in case, because I don't recall everyone who's gotten in and whether they're RD/held ED, but it seems like the vast majority of them are held ED-ers. For example, I didn't apply till late Oct but I was in the 2nd or 3rd 'RD' admit batch. It kind of seems like they're looking first at Held ED-ers and super early submissions.

Then again, I could be wrong... /runs to check LSN

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:28 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

I'd check LSN just in case, because I don't recall everyone who's gotten in and whether they're RD/held ED, but it seems like the vast majority of them are held ED-ers. For example, I didn't apply till late Oct but I was in the 2nd or 3rd 'RD' admit batch. It kind of seems like they're looking first at Held ED-ers and super early submissions.

Oh man, I hope they're still looking at held ED-ers. It seems as if the very strong held EDers have been taken. I suppose the next round will see.

Zelda

Postby Zelda » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Let's hope some more magic happens this week!

terriers

Postby terriers » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Applied Oct 30 RD and got in about a week ago...had my interview in mid-December.

I wouldn't worry too much though for the people who are still waiting, applied to GULC at the same time as NU, had interview almost the same time, and I've been stuck on complete since 12/16, process seems a bit random as far as when acceptances go out.

skitlets

Postby skitlets » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Big thanks to Jdizzle and Crumpets for their time. I really appreciate it. Hope NU takes a chance on me so I can hang out with everyone in the fall.

cactuarX3

Postby cactuarX3 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:13 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Oh man, I hope you're right! I was pretty much resigned to a ding/WL at this point since I've been complete for over a month now with no movement

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:05 pm

I applied in November and got in already, but id agree with crimps that there are plenty of acceptances still to come, including from those who submitted in sep/oct.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I applied in November and got in already, but id agree with crimps that there are plenty of acceptances still to come, including from those who submitted in sep/oct.

yeah, it looked like a few RDers have gotten in with complete days after mine :? I wish there was some way to indicate that I really want to be there. I interviewed and in both that and my Why NU, I thought I made it pretty clear, but maybe the lack of significant WE is scaring them off. I could see them offering me a spot in the c/o 2016 like they did with a few people in the past.

catholicgirl

Postby catholicgirl » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:17 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I applied in November and got in already, but id agree with crimps that there are plenty of acceptances still to come, including from those who submitted in sep/oct.

yeah, it looked like a few RDers have gotten in with complete days after mine :? I wish there was some way to indicate that I really want to be there. I interviewed and in both that and my Why NU, I thought I made it pretty clear, but maybe the lack of significant WE is scaring them off. I could see them offering me a spot in the c/o 2016 like they did with a few people in the past.

We need to do something drastic. Like Elle Woods Youtube style drastic.

Yeah my WE was on the slightly interesting conversation-starter type side -PM for details. But not among the WE they typically pull from.

dakure

Postby dakure » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:15 am

For the record, I got in RD with a early november submission.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:57 am

dakure wrote:For the record, I got in RD with a early november submission.

don't remind me, dude

citygirl000

Postby citygirl000 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:45 am

Last edited by citygirl000 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Dearest NU,

I love you, but this "it's complicated" relationship we have? All my friends say it's turning me into a crazy woman. I need you to define what we are, one way or another. Please? For me?

With love,
Scarlet

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Is anyone else just scared in general?

Everyone at NU will be smart. Conventional TLS wisdom is that grades are sort of just luck/typing speed/amount of work. Assuming that everyone will be working hard, some people will still be below median. Half of us will. And it seems as if there's no way to make sure you won't be. So what do we do? Is below median at NU screwed?

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:54 pm

I'm pretty nervous as well. I'm hoping to just turn on the charm at OCI and hope that will make up for likely median grades. :D

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm

emkay625 wrote:Is anyone else just scared in general?

Everyone at NU will be smart. Conventional TLS wisdom is that grades are sort of just luck/typing speed/amount of work. Assuming that everyone will be working hard, some people will still be below median. Half of us will. And it seems as if there's no way to make sure you won't be. So what do we do? Is below median at NU screwed?

I just had this conversation with my SO the other day, and here's what I decided - below median at NU is not screwed. If I am below median by the end of 1L, I will not withdraw. I think if I am bottom 25%, I will end up withdrawing, but between 25-50% is a risk I am willing to take. Why?

Well, if you look at the employment data for NU (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/statistics/), if you count up the %ages of employed FT in a legal job vs PT/non-legal/unemployed, you get this breakdown:

~94% of the class is employed
~87% employed, FT, in legal/JD-preferred jobs
~4% employed, PT, legal/JD-preferred jobs
~2% employed both full and part-time in NON-JD-preferred jobs
~3-7% of jobs held by NU grads are law school funded or short-term employment (this may/may not overlap with the 87%)

Even assuming 7% of the jobs that are funded by NU/short term are ALL FT, legal/JD-preferred jobs, that's still 80% of the class that is employed in the legal field. Of course, there's also the issue of how much you'll get paid vs. how much you're taking out in loans. 40% of the class ends up in 'biglaw', where the 25th %ile of salary is still $160K. Another 40% of the class makes $100K-$160K. That's still 80% of the class making 6 figures.

These are all self-reported data points of course, but for me, being between the 25th-50th percentile is still worth remaining at NU for all 3 years.

ETA: with that said, I'm fucking TERRIFIED.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:07 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Is anyone else just scared in general?

I just had this conversation with my SO the other day, and here's what I decided - below median at NU is not screwed. If I am below median by the end of 1L, I will not withdraw. I think if I am bottom 25%, I will end up withdrawing, but between 25-50% is a risk I am willing to take. Why?

Well, if you look at the employment data for NU (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/statistics/), if you count up the %ages of employed FT in a legal job vs PT/non-legal/unemployed, you get this breakdown:

~94% of the class is employed
~87% employed, FT, in legal/JD-preferred jobs
~4% employed, PT, legal/JD-preferred jobs
~2% employed both full and part-time in NON-JD-preferred jobs
~3-7% of jobs held by NU grads are law school funded or short-term employment (this may/may not overlap with the 87%)

Even assuming 7% of the jobs that are funded by NU/short term are ALL FT, legal/JD-preferred jobs, that's still 80% of the class that is employed in the legal field. Of course, there's also the issue of how much you'll get paid vs. how much you're taking out in loans. 40% of the class ends up in 'biglaw', where the 25th %ile of salary is still $160K. Another 40% of the class makes $100K-$160K. That's still 80% of the class making 6 figures.

These are all self-reported data points of course, but for me, being between the 25th-50th percentile is still worth remaining at NU for all 3 years.

ETA: with that said, I'm fucking TERRIFIED.
What Crumps said. I've had this same discussion with myself about eleventy million times. The detailed (and not totally depressing) employment stats help somewhat, but it's still scary as all hell.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Also, for those of you looking at PI, don't forget LRAP

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:14 pm

^ credited. Also, keep in mind that TLSers probably skew a little bit higher in grades. Hopefully, that is not just hubris talking, but the people who are spending time here are TLS are presumably a lot more prepared than others. There is a certain percentage of people that will be there who won't work hard, or who won't be well prepared or whatever. I think it seems daunting because everyone on here is presumably well primed for success.

That said, we all should work really hard and not take anything for granted. But I doubt any of us will end up screwed when the dust settles.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:16 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Also, for those of you looking at PI, don't forget LRAP

I know people in this thread may be a bit biased but I get the feeling that because I want to do nonprofit/PI, UMich would probably be a safer bet... thoughts?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:19 pm

Samara wrote:^ credited. Also, keep in mind that TLSers probably skew a little bit higher in grades. Hopefully, that is not just hubris talking, but the people who are spending time here are TLS are presumably a lot more prepared than others. There is a certain percentage of people that will be there who won't work hard, or who won't be well prepared or whatever. I think it seems daunting because everyone on here is presumably well primed for success.

That said, we all should work really hard and not take anything for granted. But I doubt any of us will end up screwed when the dust settles.

I mean, if you look at the fact that the LSAT mean for TLSers is probably somewhere in the upper 160s, it makes sense to assume that the group is probably, on average, higher than median. I'm not assuming that the correlation between LSAT score and first year gpa is the reason, just that, as you say, TLSers are probably more prepared/serious than others

I think the vast majority of my fear comes from be worried that I don't stack up to you guys intellectually

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:36 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Also, for those of you looking at PI, don't forget LRAP

I know people in this thread may be a bit biased but I get the feeling that because I want to do nonprofit/PI, UMich would probably be a safer bet... thoughts?

Just briefly looked at the UMich LRAP. Looks like they pay your entire IBR payment up to $50,000 salary and it slides from there until $88k. Northwestern only pays the entire payment up to $45k and at $50k they only pay 75% of the payment. Also Northwestern's maxes out at $75k. Northwestern's does have the added benefit of paying off a percent of your unpaid interest so that if for some reason you switch out of a PI/Gov job 5 years in, your loans haven't accrued an ungodly amount of interest because your IBR payment barely makes a dent.

So for comparison, if you make $50k at UMich you pay nothing and at Northwestern you'd pay 25% of your annual payment which would be about ~$1500

So UMich is probably better the lower your income is, but the higher you go the more equal they become.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks for the analysis, Flips. I'm looking through each school's LRAP pages now. Do you know if these programs take into account current assets? I have an educational trust but I'd rather not tap into it unless I absolutely have to.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”