NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rinkrat19

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:26 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:I think Eugenie means:

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Whee! Congrats guys! Next winter you can play in the snow without pants

I have bright purple paisley snow pants that I fully intend on wearing in public when it gets to 0°F.

Hell, I'll wear them to bars. (I've worn them to work in Oregon.)

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:28 pm

I will be enlisting everyone ITT who has lived through a snowy winter + all the Chicago SFers to help me shop for clothes for this fall. Seriously, I don't even own waterproof shoes. o____o

thisisme

Postby thisisme » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:31 pm

-
Last edited by thisisme on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

chill

Postby chill » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:32 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I will be enlisting everyone ITT who has lived through a snowy winter + all the Chicago SFers to help me shop for clothes for this fall. Seriously, I don't even own waterproof shoes. o____o

You can buy waterproofing spray. It kinda works. Also, my mom gives me these things you clip onto the bottom of your shoes so you can walk better on ice every year for Christmas. I think I have approximately 5 extra pairs cluttering up my closet. One's yours if you're a women's size 7-10 (and if I get into NW :D ).

Oh! I also would recommend buying an extra pair of leggings to wear under your jeans in the winter. The wind cuts right through denim.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:33 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I will be enlisting everyone ITT who has lived through a snowy winter + all the Chicago SFers to help me shop for clothes for this fall. Seriously, I don't even own waterproof shoes. o____o

I'd be delighted. :D

tjddk

Postby tjddk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:41 pm

chill wrote:

You can buy waterproofing spray. It kinda works. Also, my mom gives me these things you clip onto the bottom of your shoes so you can walk better on ice every year for Christmas. I think I have approximately 5 extra pairs cluttering up my closet. One's yours if you're a women's size 7-10 (and if I get into NW :D ).

Oh! I also would recommend buying an extra pair of leggings to wear under your jeans in the winter. The wind cuts right through denim.

I don't understand. How do people LIVE there?!?! I don't think I have been as serious about UCLA as I am right now... =/

Chill, what are those things you clip onto shoes? I once brought boots to wear in Asia during winter, thinking they'd be enough, but they definitely did not have enough traction for ice...

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:50 pm

I'll help too! I have a pair of Hunter rain boots. In the winter I wear the heavy fleece socks with them. Also long underwear. :D

When I moved to Chicago from Louisiana, the change in weather conditions was extremely jarring.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:00 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:DYAC. with us *

Jack Smirks told me it was going to be zero degrees there tonight. It is 75 degrees where I live right now.

I'm scared of Chicago weather O_O;;;

Yep, it's pretty cold today, but I just wore my wool suit jacket to go downtown. Deal with it, winter. I'm not afraid of you.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:01 pm

thisisme wrote:This. I live/grew up in So Cal, the mere idea of zero degrees terrifies me.

OHEY!!!!! I'm from SoCal too!!! :O!!!! /highfives
chill wrote:You can buy waterproofing spray. It kinda works. Also, my mom gives me these things you clip onto the bottom of your shoes so you can walk better on ice every year for Christmas. I think I have approximately 5 extra pairs cluttering up my closet. One's yours if you're a women's size 7-10 (and if I get into NW :D ).

I used to have waterproofing spray but I never really used it because...well...I'd just tough it out and jump over puddles when it rained, and it never was TOO big of an issue. Do you have a link to those clip things? I wear a women's size 8-8.5, btw ;) <3 (Also, I'm fairly sure you are a lock for NU.)
Eugenie Danglars wrote:I'd be delighted. :D

YESSSS :D :D
kennethellenparcell wrote:I'll help too! I have a pair of Hunter rain boots. In the winter I wear the heavy fleece socks with them. Also long underwear. :D When I moved to Chicago from Louisiana, the change in weather conditions was extremely jarring.

Ooooh I heard Hunter rain boots are awesome. The problem is that I have uber-athletic calves from 6 years of swimming when I was in middle/high school, so boots often either don't fit properly or they look funny on me, especially if they aren't fitted at the ankle.

citygirl000

Postby citygirl000 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Last edited by citygirl000 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:14 pm

I haven't lived anywhere colder than Oregon (well, Denver when I was 4 but that doesn't help), but I know about technical gear. So I can help you buy stuff that's actually functionally warm and/or waterproof (there had better be a freaking REI in Chicago), and you peeps can help me not constantly dress like I'm about to go hiking. Deal?? :P

Except I'm fundamentally opposed to rubber rain boots and think they look retarded. So you're on your own there.

chill

Postby chill » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:17 pm

tjddk wrote:
chill wrote:

I don't understand. How do people LIVE there?!?! I don't think I have been as serious about UCLA as I am right now... =/

Chill, what are those things you clip onto shoes? I once brought boots to wear in Asia during winter, thinking they'd be enough, but they definitely did not have enough traction for ice...

They're called Yaktrax. You can get 'em at REI, online, at running stores in the midwest. Here's their website

Named after the sure-footed Tibetan Yak, Yaktrax strech over everything from casual walking shoes to winter boots. Whether you are using our flagship Walker or Pro outdoor devices or our innovative SkiTrax, Yaktrax provides the same solid, predictable traction you are accustomed to feeling on dry surfaces.

PRO TIP: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WALK ON MARBLE ON THEM UNLESS YOU WANT SAID MARBLE TO COME IN DIRECT CONTACT WITH YOUR HEAD.

ETA: If you're a runner, you might want to invest in spikes you can hammer into the bottom of your running shoes to get better traction for the winter. I'm not a runner, but my sister runs outside in Boston all winter thanks to those spikes. You also should invest in some serious therapy.
Last edited by chill on Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:21 pm

Id love to take you! Watertower is right there, mag mile and gold coast!

I bought these 200$ cole haan boots but they were worth it. Waterproof, nike soles and grippy soles. They are also pretty-don't look like galoshes at all. I played in the blizzard w them last year and stayed dry. (Eta: nuts, I have super chickeny legs so idk if cole haans are too slim for you).

Invest in underarmour and leggings! They also sell ugg socks to keep ur toesies warm (the shoe itself will get ruined by salt and isn't waterproof).

And although I'm from here, I agree, its not that bad if you bundle up and I get cold very easily.

You must come to asw with a sticker that says "crumps" so we all know who you are :D and can take you shopping.

Dolorous Edd

Postby Dolorous Edd » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:03 pm

Some scary rejections I'm seeing on LSN.

:shock:

Zelda

Postby Zelda » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:05 pm

Any other late November complete applicants waiting to hear back? There are still a few rounds of good decisions coming our way right? Last year I think acceptances came in three big waves (1/14, 1/20, 1/28).

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:22 pm

11/28 without word

ConfidenceMan2

Postby ConfidenceMan2 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:23 pm

After finally visiting NU I want to go to there even more. TOTALLY BOMBED!!!!! the interview though. Never interviewed so poorly in my life. The individual I interviewed with was generally unwilling to buy anything I said, I think because I opened on the wrong foot (was unprepared for them to come out guns blazing with the first question). So now I'm going to assume I don't get in and be glad if I do.

And I wish I was just paranoid, but I leave the vast majority of interviews thinking "aced it" and then not getting the job, so I doubt it.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:37 pm

citygirl000 wrote:Is there a Facebook page for admitted students? Should someone volunteer to create one?! :)

http://www.facebook.com/groups/187907641301598/

This is the official page. You can request to join, and every few days, they check requests against the admit list and let you into the group (or not). ;-)

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
citygirl000 wrote:Is there a Facebook page for admitted students? Should someone volunteer to create one?! :)

This is the official page. You can request to join, and every few days, they check requests against the admit list and let you into the group (or not). ;-)

I don't know how often they actually check it...I signed up like, at the beginning of this month and I still haven't been accepted into the group.

........../FA

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:55 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

I don't know how often they actually check it...I signed up like, at the beginning of this month and I still haven't been accepted into the group.

........../FA

The students check often, but the admin doesn't provide a list of admitted students regularly until things pick up, aka now-ish. Hang in there :-)

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

........../FA

The students check often, but the admin doesn't provide a list of admitted students regularly until things pick up, aka now-ish. Hang in there :-)

Well there are a few people who have been approved ....hey future classmates. :)

mrmojojak

Postby mrmojojak » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:06 pm

Silence since 11/14. I'm thinking next week.

tdicks

Postby tdicks » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:21 pm

elibrarian wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

........../FA

Well there are a few people who have been approved ....hey future classmates. :)

.....annnnnd now i'm Facebook stalking the shit out of everyone.

lizaregina

Postby lizaregina » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:22 pm

In today via email. No work experience. Senior in undergrad. Applied 10/31.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:23 pm

So, is requesting access to the FB page the backdoor to NU admit notification, similar to UM or GULC ASW sites?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”