driver2012 wrote: thisisme wrote:
To quote the oft repeated Johann tweet:
If you refuse to write a "why X school" essay, should you really be applying to that school? #wasteoftime
Don't really get this. If it's so indispensable, why make it optional? They always have the interview
It could be optional for many reasons:
1. Because it is one less thing for them to read for the auto admits/auto rejects.
2. Because it makes people on the fence about NU research it and potentially find something about the school they really love
3. It could be a test to see who wants to go there vs. people just throwing out apps to every school they get a waiver too fishing for acceptances
4. They are intrigued about what students find attractive about their school to better highlight those factors for next year’s recruitment.
5. They are sadistic people who enjoy making students beg for their supper.
No matter the reason, if an adcom says he wants something in an app, you should probably put that thing in the app.