NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hopefully2012

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Hopefully2012 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Samara wrote:
dakure wrote:Can anyone call to confirm? Not that I don't trust Samara, I do, but I just want to make sure the herp derp at the front desk didn't mess up.

Haha, I understand. I'm inclined to believe him though since on the website there is a link for CPEs under "Accelerated JD" but not under "Regular JD." http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/applying/

I called to confirm. It's only for AJD this cycle.

dakure

Postby dakure » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:
Samara wrote:
dakure wrote:Can anyone call to confirm? Not that I don't trust Samara, I do, but I just want to make sure the herp derp at the front desk didn't mess up.

Haha, I understand. I'm inclined to believe him though since on the website there is a link for CPEs under "Accelerated JD" but not under "Regular JD." http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/applying/

I called to confirm. It's only for AJD this cycle.

You guys rock.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Samara wrote:

So, not only is CPE not required, but it's not even an option for RD 3-year?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:32 pm

Sweet, thanks for letting us know and confirming!!! I'll change the OP to reflect that. :mrgreen:

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Wow, that is awesome! I'm glad I didn't ask my boss to fill it out yet :D

Does this mean we go back to sending a generic LOR, or nothing...?

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Had to do this after the pizza-heavy discussion earlier...
Parent just emailed me a $20 Groupon to Geno's East because it expires at the end of the month and they wont be able to make it into town before then. Don't mind if I do. :mrgreen:

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 pm

tmon wrote:Had to do this after the pizza-heavy discussion earlier...
Parent just emailed me a $20 Groupon to Geno's East because it expires at the end of the month and they wont be able to make it into town before then. Don't mind if I do. :mrgreen:

Will they adopt me tmon?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:20 pm

tmon wrote:Had to do this after the pizza-heavy discussion earlier...

I'm legitimately considering driving up there to eat Gino's with you.

ETA: I am beyond excited the CPEs don't exist for non-accel applicants :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:22 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
ETA: I am beyond excited the CPEs don't exist for non-accel applicants :D :D :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah, it sounds like they're changing things up; they existed this past cycle for non-AJD applicants, right? Maybe the new dean is changing directions with Northwestern.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:27 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Yeah, it sounds like they're changing things up; they existed this past cycle for non-AJD applicants, right? Maybe the new dean is changing directions with Northwestern.

Me too :D I am so glad because I didn't want to have recommenders go through an extra effort just for one school. Maybe they found that it's not that helpful in the application process? I feel like there may have been a lot of confusion about it last year.

tmon

Postby tmon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:30 pm

So has anyone heard what we DO need then? Seems doubtful but they might want the LSAC evals/LORs/nothing/something altogether different...

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:36 pm

tmon wrote:So has anyone heard what we DO need then? Seems doubtful but they might want the LSAC evals/LORs/nothing/something altogether different...

prolly 1-2 lors

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:55 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
tmon wrote:So has anyone heard what we DO need then? Seems doubtful but they might want the LSAC evals/LORs/nothing/something altogether different...

prolly 1-2 lors

Yeah, this would be my guess. Although, last year they called both letters and evals "optional," saying that recommendations would not be looked at when considering your application "complete." We'll have to wait and see I guess.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:24 am

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

prolly 1-2 lors

Yeah, this would be my guess. Although, last year they called both letters and evals "optional," saying that recommendations would not be looked at when considering your application "complete." We'll have to wait and see I guess.

not necessary but I'd assume if you have good ones that you ought to include them

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:26 am

The actual application page that lists the requirements says 1 LOR.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:41 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:The actual application page that lists the requirements says 1 LOR.

I stand corrected. I figured everyone would submit at least one, but didn't realize NU required any

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:45 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:The actual application page that lists the requirements says 1 LOR.

I stand corrected. I figured everyone would submit at least one, but didn't realize NU required any

They don't. From the actual application on page one of this thread:

"Please note that we do NOT require a letter of recommendation as part of the admissions application. However, if you choose to include
recommendation information you must have your recommender complete our Career Progress Evaluation Form"

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:46 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

They don't. From the actual application on page one of this thread:

"Please note that we do NOT require a letter of recommendation as part of the admissions application. However, if you choose to include
recommendation information you must have your recommender complete our Career Progress Evaluation Form"

oh. haha Crumps in yo face

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:07 am

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/applying/required/

the page is called 'required items'. under 'jd' it says 'one letter of reccomendation'. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Moreover when you click the link (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/applying/required/recom.html) it says this:

One letter of recommendation is required for all applicants.

ETA: And finally, note that the application on the front page is listed as a SAMPLE APPLICATION for a reason, becasue it is the application from LAST YEAR--aka when they were using CPEs. At that time, it's true that they did not need an LOR because they accepted CPE's in lieu of a traditional LOR. Now that they no longer take CPEs, I presume that the only option for an applicant is the traditional LOR, and the requirement is once again 1 LOR. The bolded in the below quote is the important thing to take note of:

Tiago Splitter wrote:They don't. From the actual application on page one of this thread:

recommendation information you must have your recommender complete our Career Progress Evaluation Form
"

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:13 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/applying/required/

the page is called 'required items'. under 'jd' it says 'one letter of reccomendation'. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Moreover when you click the link (http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/applying/required/recom.html) it says this:

ETA: And finally, note that the application on the front page is listed as a SAMPLE APPLICATION for a reason, becasue it is the application from LAST YEAR--aka when they were using CPEs. At that time, it's true that they did not need an LOR because they accepted CPE's in lieu of a traditional LOR. Now that they no longer take CPEs, I presume that the only option for an applicant is the traditional LOR, and the requirement is once again 1 LOR. The bolded in the below quote is the important thing to take note of:

Tiago Splitter wrote:They don't. From the actual application on page one of this thread:

recommendation information you must have your recommender complete our Career Progress Evaluation Form
"

Iz confused. Thx guys

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:19 am

I'm sending LORs. But the CPE was optional on the sample app as well.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:19 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/applying/required/

"

Iz confused. Thx guys

LOL. Unless you are only applying to NW you should have LORs anyway, so just send at least one.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:20 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

"

Iz confused. Thx guys

LOL. Unless you are only applying to NW you should have LORs anyway, so just send at least one.

yeah, I have all three from last cycle. Prolly sending 1-2

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:20 am

JamMasterJ wrote:Iz confused. Thx guys

Well unless you're only applying to NU it shouldn't be too big of a deal becasue most other schools require 2-3, but for the sake of clarification here's the tl;dr :mrgreen:

- the application tiago is referring to was from last year
- the lor USED TO BE optional last year, but ONLY BECAUSE they had the CPE as an alternate option.
- now that the CPE is gone, the LOR is the only option
- they require 1 lor

This is a non-issue though. I highly doubt anyone is going to send in 0 LORs. But the website does specifically say 1 LOR is a required item, and explicitly states that it is required for all applicants. Go with the website, as I assume that is the most recently updated. Things may have been optional last year, but we're not worried about that since we're applying this year.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:27 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Iz confused. Thx guys

Well unless you're only applying to NU it shouldn't be too big of a deal becasue most other schools require 2-3, but for the sake of clarification here's the tl;dr :mrgreen:

- the application tiago is referring to was from last year
- the lor USED TO BE optional last year, but ONLY BECAUSE they had the CPE as an alternate option.
- now that the CPE is gone, the LOR is the only option
- they require 1 lor

This is a non-issue though. I highly doubt anyone is going to send in 0 LORs. But the website does specifically say 1 LOR is a required item, and explicitly states that it is required for all applicants. Go with the website, as I assume that is the most recently updated. Things may have been optional last year, but we're not worried about that since we're applying this year.

I was always planning on 2+. I just was curious for curiosity's sake. No real reason

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”