NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
addy11

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Postby addy11 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:22 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
addy11 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:LOL who would actually do that?

Child of a famous person (politician, academic, CEO, etc.)?

I know a person who had a a sitting presidential cabinet member (and a high profile one... one whose name even the apolitical recognize) write her a LoR to the school the secretary had graduated from. They knew each other in an entirely personal capacity (I don't see this being too different from one's parent), and it seemed to work.
You're giving the person way too much credit. Johann says the LOR doesn't help: it's probably not from a cabinet member or law school dean or F500 CEO.

Yeah, but many deans of all sorts of schools encourage you not to get some "celebrity" LoR, even if the person has tremendous cachet. If I were a dean I could see why Sen. Susan Collins' daughter would ask her mother for a letter, but it would probably diminish my opinion of that person, not enhance it, so I think it's consistent with the tweet.

And I totally agree that the person Johann referenced was probably not getting an LoR from such a high profile source, but my response was to Unam's question, not trying to point out the likely nature of the subject of Johann's tweet.

Samara wrote:Plus, knowing someone in a personal capacity is, even if it's like godmother or something, is still quite different from your actual mother.

I don't know. I disagree. I think the issue is not bias (strong bias in the candidate's favor is almost expected of a recommender, and this seems to be confirmed from friends' LoRs they've forwarded to me), but rather an inability to comment with authority upon the person's qualities that will make them good candidates for law school. Certainly bosses and professors don't have a monopoly on these things, but there's a reason that they are preferred. If you are going to go with someone you have no history of working with or studying under, you might as well go with the one who knows you better -- the mother (Disclaimer: obviously this is not prescriptive, and I don't think any relative/acquaintence/personal relation should be writing a letter, but what I mean to say is that I don't think the above distinction is meaningful or clearly in favor of the non-mother, especially if the relationship doesn't need to be fully revealed).

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:50 pm

addy11 wrote:
Samara wrote:Plus, knowing someone in a personal capacity is, even if it's like godmother or something, is still quite different from your actual mother.

I don't know. I disagree. I think the issue is not bias (strong bias in the candidate's favor is almost expected of a recommender, and this seems to be confirmed from friends' LoRs they've forwarded to me), but rather an inability to comment with authority upon the person's qualities that will make them good candidates for law school. Certainly bosses and professors don't have a monopoly on these things, but there's a reason that they are preferred. If you are going to go with someone you have no history of working with or studying under, you might as well go with the one who knows you better -- the mother (Disclaimer: obviously this is not prescriptive, and I don't think any relative/acquaintence/personal relation should be writing a letter, but what I mean to say is that I don't think the above distinction is meaningful or clearly in favor of the non-mother, especially if the relationship doesn't need to be fully revealed).

I think it's mostly bias. Bosses and professors don't have to like you and don't have to write you a LOR. LORs tend to be strongly in favor because applicants choose bosses and professors that like them, not because of those people's biases. The purpose of the LOR is to prove that you're a good worker/student and not an insufferable douche. You didn't earn the respect and admiration of your mother, but you did if it comes from your boss or professor. We all have pretty much the same skills, so they don't really serve that purpose.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Samara wrote:
addy11 wrote:

I think it's mostly bias. Bosses and professors don't have to like you and don't have to write you a LOR. LORs tend to be strongly in favor because applicants choose bosses and professors that like them, not because of those people's biases. The purpose of the LOR is to prove that you're a good worker/student and not an insufferable douche. You didn't earn the respect and admiration of your mother, but you did if it comes from your boss or professor. We all have pretty much the same skills, so they don't really serve that purpose.

Right. Then it seems that we agree: bosses/professors = eminently more qualified than anyone who knows you in a purely personal capacity, and for good reason.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:25 pm

When they say that scholarships are merit-based AND need-based.........what does this mean? An even split between the two? Completely subjective?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:29 pm

emkay625 wrote:When they say that scholarships are merit-based AND need-based.........what does this mean? An even split between the two? Completely subjective?
Mostly merit-based, from what I understand, but they call it both.

I think an NU student (Holly Golightly?) was saying that most of the awards she has seen have been nominally "divided" between merit and need aid, but the total award usually just matched up with what you'd expect that person to get from their numbers anyway, disregarding their need.

ConfidenceMan2

Postby ConfidenceMan2 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi all - latecomer here. Just got my first LSAT back. I'll be applying to NU and hoping like hell I get it! It's my #1!

Interview next week. Hopefully being so late doesn't hurt my chances too much :|

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:29 pm

ConfidenceMan2 wrote:Hi all - latecomer here. Just got my first LSAT back. I'll be applying to NU and hoping like hell I get it! It's my #1!

Interview next week. Hopefully being so late doesn't hurt my chances too much :|

Hey there! I was hoping you'd join us :mrgreen: Best of luck, hope we'll see you at ASW this April :D

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Maybe his/her mommy wheely wheely loved them.

chill wrote:Also, I don't know about you guys, but my mom would probably enclose embarrassing childhood photos and/or video.

I actually asked all my letters of rec include a headshot of me, glitter, candy, and a note that says "haha, I know where you work"

JustE

Postby JustE » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:39 pm

STLMizzou wrote:

Maybe his/her mommy wheely wheely loved them.

chill wrote:Also, I don't know about you guys, but my mom would probably enclose embarrassing childhood photos and/or video.

I actually asked all my letters of rec include a headshot of me, glitter, candy, and a note that says "haha, I know where you work"

No perfume?... noob.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:42 pm

JustE wrote:No perfume?... noob.

Shit, I was wondering why they haven't accepted me! Do you think it is too late to send a potently doused addendum?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:44 pm

STLMizzou wrote:

Shit, I was wondering why they haven't accepted me! Do you think it is too late to send a potently doused addendum?

Only if you do it in pink ink a la Elle Woods.

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:54 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
STLMizzou wrote:

Only if you do it in pink ink a la Elle Woods.

--ImageRemoved--

Those are the only kind of pens I own

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:52 am

:lol:

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Whyyyy no movement lately?!!!

bbalcrzy23

Postby bbalcrzy23 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:27 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Whyyyy no movement lately?!!!

+1

Any ED --> RD applicants still waiting? I am

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:28 pm

I think next week seems more likely

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:29 pm

bbalcrzy23 wrote:

+1

Me too. It makes me a sad panda.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:35 pm

Samara wrote:
bbalcrzy23 wrote:

+1

It's weird that they took me and the 2.77/177, but not you! I have no idea how they're doing these admit waves e_e

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:46 pm

I'm still waiting too.

bbalcrzy23 wrote:

+1

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Good luck at your interview! And welcome!

ConfidenceMan2 wrote:Hi all - latecomer here. Just got my first LSAT back. I'll be applying to NU and hoping like hell I get it! It's my #1!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:01 pm

I want Johann to be required to tweet at least once an hour. I <3 his tweets.

Also I was catching up on Dean Rodriguez's blog and found this picture:

His name is RICO SUAVE!!!!! How flipping cute is that???

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:09 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:
bbalcrzy23 wrote:

+1

It's weird that they took me and the 2.77/177, but not you! I have no idea how they're doing these admit waves e_e

I try not to think about it. :|

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 pm

Samara wrote:I try not to think about it. :|

:( *HUGS* Your e-mail is coming, I just know it. Same with everyone else ITT. <3

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:15 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

:( *HUGS* Your e-mail is coming, I just know it. Same with everyone else ITT. <3

+9

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:17 pm

JustE wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

+9

:lol: Any particular reason it's +9?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”