NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:39 pm

freestallion wrote:Chicago winter IS pretty bad, but on the up side you get used to it after 2 years :D
And after that you can live anywhere.

But I remember looking at the temperature during the winter and EVERY time it was warmer in Alaska :shock:
The worst part is just that you end up having no social life when it's that cold out. But, on the plus side, you have nothing better to do than study => no distractions :P
Tough to get out and socialize here in Phoenix when its 115, so I guess I'll be getting the other side of it in Chicago. I think I have a sweatshirt somewhere and a peacoat for when it gets down to sixty. Major wardrobe refresher for me if I go to the Midwest. Why are all the best schools in such cold weather?!?!?!

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:42 pm

Yep I live in the same weather bubble as Chic and I'd say generally the 50s. I wear a light jacket but guy friends still survive with just a hoodie. The pros of fall where I live are the fresh cider and donut mills nom nom nom. I'm assuming this is more of a small town thing though (I hope not. If it is, I will just learn to make them because I refuse to go without.)

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Yeah, if you've experienced real cold temperatures you'll be fine. However, if you're like my parents and have lived in Florida for 10-20 years and have gotten soft to these kinds of temps then you don't go outside without long underwear and those hand warmer packs between all five layers you have on. They visited me last winter around the coldest time of the year. It was a spectacle.

ETA, Eich: I had to take like an hour drive for the real cider mill experience last fall :(

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:48 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
descartesb4thehorse wrote:I'll miss you guys the most =(
Wait what? Where are you going? ):
Samara wrote:Hahaha, good thing I'm interviewing next month before it gets cold, phew!!
XD!!!

Wait, how cold is it in October? I'm guessing it's not in the 70s-80s like here...? Do I need to bring cold weather clothes when I do my interview?
Got into Michigan, crumpets. Just accepted my deferral. Good luck to the rest of you.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:49 pm

freestallion wrote:October: Chicago average temps
High / Low
60°F / 44°F

-- So in the 50s probably :D
x_x well at least it's not winter there yet...I don't think I even own any clothes that would be suitable for that. (I'm guessing skiing gear =/= acceptable for an interview :lol: )

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:49 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Got into Michigan, crumpets. Just accepted my deferral. Good luck to the rest of you.
!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sad you won't be coming but SHIT, congratulations <3 Maybe we can still eventually meet up, AA is only a few hours away (and I have a bunch of friends entering w/you this year :mrgreen: )

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:53 pm

tmon wrote:Yeah, if you've experienced real cold temperatures you'll be fine. However, if you're like my parents and have lived in Florida for 10-20 years and have gotten soft to these kinds of temps then you don't go outside without long underwear and those hand warmer packs between all five layers you have on. They visited me last winter around the coldest time of the year. It was a spectacle.

ETA, Eich: I had to take like an hour drive for the real cider mill experience last fall :(
:cry: I have been holding off on learning to make the perfect donut because I don't want to increase my risk of obesity, but I suppose in law school I will have people to help me eat them :D

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:55 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
High / Low
60°F / 44°F

x_x well at least it's not winter there yet...I don't think I even own any clothes that would be suitable for that. (I'm guessing skiing gear =/= acceptable for an interview :lol: )
I saw that and thought "hey thats not bad for the winter." Then I realized, in the rest of the country, it gets colder in the later months. God that must suck.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:55 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
tmon wrote:Yeah, if you've experienced real cold temperatures you'll be fine. However, if you're like my parents and have lived in Florida for 10-20 years and have gotten soft to these kinds of temps then you don't go outside without long underwear and those hand warmer packs between all five layers you have on. They visited me last winter around the coldest time of the year. It was a spectacle.

:cry: I have been holding off on learning to make the perfect donut because I don't want to increase my risk of obesity, but I suppose in law school I will have people to help me eat them :D
XD I totes want to do dinner parties in LS (I know, I'm strange)...eich if we go to the same school we should host one. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:03 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

XD I totes want to do dinner parties in LS (I know, I'm strange)...eich if we go to the same school we should host one. :mrgreen:
I'm invited, yes?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:05 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
High / Low
60°F / 44°F

Yeah, I don't know how it works for girls, but as a guy, wearing a suit/business attire keeps me sufficiently warm in October. If it gets windy, that can suck, but a windbreaker/light jacket will do the trick. It also depends on if you'll be doing a lot of walking, i.e. public transportation v. driving.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:08 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

I'm invited, yes?
psh. I'm inviting myself.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:10 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

I'll bring the ice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:10 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:

Aw hell yea. I like feeding people :mrgreen:

and thanks Bils. I can never have enough ice.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Aw hell yea. I like feeding people :mrgreen:

and thanks Bils. I can never have enough ice.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwyyyyyyyyyyyyeaaaaah.jpg

It would be the best dinner party EVER.
tmon wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I'm invited, yes?
psh. I'm inviting myself.
Yes, yes, and yes ( to bils)
Samara wrote:Yeah, I don't know how it works for girls, but as a guy, wearing a suit/business attire keeps me sufficiently warm in October. If it gets windy, that can suck, but a windbreaker/light jacket will do the trick. It also depends on if you'll be doing a lot of walking, i.e. public transportation v. driving.
This is why being a girl sucks. lolz skirt suits ;_; The October weather should be fine though. Speaking of which, I need to go to WHBM/Ann Taylor/J Crew and get a nice suit soon.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Normally I hate shopping (gender traitor) but I am pretty psyched to go law school clothes shopping. And I get to go school supply shopping which I always love <3 So, attempting to bring this thread back to Crumps' original intent, do we know when Oct dates open/when I should sign up because I leave the country end of Oct? I feel weird interviewing before I know my LSAT won't be an auto-reject. :oops:

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:13 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Normally I hate shopping (gender traitor) but I am pretty psyched to go law school clothes shopping. And I get to go school supply shopping which I always love <3 So, attempting to bring this thread back to Crumps' original intent, do we know when Oct dates open/when I should sign up because I leave the country end of Oct? I feel weird interviewing before I know my LSAT won't be an auto-reject. :oops:
As far as I can tell, the only info they've given about new interview slots was a tweet on the 15th:
nulawadmissions wrote:Please note that our limited On-Campus interviews for September are full. Don't worry, we'll post more spots in the next few weeks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:19 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Normally I hate shopping (gender traitor) but I am pretty psyched to go law school clothes shopping. And I get to go school supply shopping which I always love <3 So, attempting to bring this thread back to Crumps' original intent, do we know when Oct dates open/when I should sign up because I leave the country end of Oct? I feel weird interviewing before I know my LSAT won't be an auto-reject. :oops:
same. And I really need a new suit. I used to be bigger, so mine looks funny

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:32 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
same. And I really need a new suit. I used to be bigger, so mine looks funny
A good suit makes all the difference. I don't have a suit. Most of my wardrobe consists of:
Tshirts with pics like this:

Shoes like this:

I'll grow up when I'm good and ready

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:34 pm

So I have a kind of shitty suit and will need a better one at some point in the near-ish future. Should I go ahead and buy one before my NU interview, or is the one I have ok for this purpose?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:43 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:So I have a kind of shitty suit and will need a better one at some point in the near-ish future. Should I go ahead and buy one before my NU interview, or is the one I have ok for this purpose?
Define "kind of shitty."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:So I have a kind of shitty suit and will need a better one at some point in the near-ish future. Should I go ahead and buy one before my NU interview, or is the one I have ok for this purpose?
Define "kind of shitty."
100 bucks from H&M. black, a little too big, and a few years old.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:30 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Samara wrote:
Define "kind of shitty."
100 bucks from H&M. black, a little too big, and a few years old.
Hmmm...You say it's a little too big, so I assume you've lost weight? Do you plan to keep losing weight? IMO, suits that are too big make you look younger in a bad way, especially if you're on the shorter/smaller side. If you keep an eye out for sales, you can get some decent stuff piecemeal from Macy's, Carson's or other department stores. If your jacket isn't too big, you might be able to hang onto that. If you expect to stay the same size over the next year or two, you may want to consider in an OCI-worthy suit now. Otherwise, a more "casual" suit I think would be fine (and cheaper).

FWIW, I think I'm going with something kind of like this, only with a jacket that's closer to tweed and lighter pants. I like khaki/brown because it feels more approachable and personable, which I think is more appropriate for law school admissions. For something more srs, like OCI, I'll use the black suit. I'm also someone whose business wardrobe is colorful and less "conservative," though, and the forums here make me think that I should quash personality and go with the safe choice. Black is more all-purpose though, so if you're going to just have one, go with black.

--ImageRemoved--

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:56 pm

So is the guy consensus for NU interviews a suit? Thought I saw a thread recently where people were railing on the idea and everyone seemed more of the "khakis and nice shirt/sweater/whatever" idea. I could be confusing it for a different thread topic though. Seems like for a full on interview you could step it up from that but I'm really not sure. People say it's better to overdress but I did that for a job interview once and felt like a tool.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:02 pm

tmon wrote:So is the guy consensus for NU interviews a suit? Thought I saw a thread recently where people were railing on the idea and everyone seemed more of the "khakis and nice shirt/sweater/whatever" idea. I could be confusing it for a different thread topic though. Seems like for a full on interview you could step it up from that but I'm really not sure. People say it's better to overdress but I did that for a job interview once and felt like a tool.
Yeah, their FAQ keeps it vague, saying you should treat it like a "job interview." For me, suits are a must for job interviews, but I guess it depends on the job. That's why I like my khaki pants, tweed jacket combo because if I get there and it looks like it's going to be more casual, I can hang up the jacket and I'm instantly more casual. I'll be sure to add this to my interview guinea pig checklist.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”