NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JustE

Re: Northwestern Apps '11-'12 DECISIONS OUT! CONGRATS GUYS!!!!!

Postby JustE » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:00 pm

It's a little too quiet... Things are really slow here in the office this quarter... A little help? :lol:

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:03 pm

JustE wrote:It's a little too quiet... Things are really slow here in the office this quarter... A little help? :lol:

every time this updates I jump. bad for my mental health, this thread is.

thisisme

Postby thisisme » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:15 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
JustE wrote:It's a little too quiet... Things are really slow here in the office this quarter... A little help? :lol:

every time this updates I jump. bad for my mental health, this thread is.

Ditto.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:18 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:One day, I hope to be cool enough to join that thread :mrgreen:

That day is coming!

Also, crumps, you're kinda just awesome. That is all.

:oops: Thanks!!!! You're pretty awesome yourself. <3 Ahhhh I hope we all get in so we can all hang out at ASW :D

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:22 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:One day, I hope to be cool enough to join that thread :mrgreen:

That day is coming!

:oops: Thanks!!!! You're pretty awesome yourself. <3 Ahhhh I hope we all get in so we can all hang out at ASW :D

Yes, please NU! Let us all in so we can take this awesome collegiality to the NU campus!

dontTazemeBrah

Postby dontTazemeBrah » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:29 pm

congrats to the new admits, i heard that you guys get full tuition scholarships. is this true?

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:31 pm

dontTazemeBrah wrote:congrats to the new admits, i heard that you guys get full tuition scholarships. is this true?

Yes, applicants accepted through the ED program receive a $150k scholarship, which is basically full tuition.

Jewel628

Postby Jewel628 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:41 pm

Is it the usual course for NU to email thank you notes to all applicants' recommeders?

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:48 pm

Jewel628 wrote:Is it the usual course for NU to email thank you notes to all applicants' recommeders?

Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying should you send one to yours? Because seeing the emphasis the school gives to being a professional then I would send a follow-up. I sent one to mine (if you do on-campus they said to just email the admissions office with the name of the interviewer in the subject and they will forward it to that person)

If you are saying do they thank all the alumni who interview, then I would think so. It is an alumni volunteering time to help the university. I don't think they would send "thank you"s only to the people who interviewed people they are accepting. That would be a pretty dick move basically saying “because you interviewed a less qualified prospective student, we don't really appreciate your help."

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:51 pm

STLMizzou wrote:
Jewel628 wrote:Is it the usual course for NU to email thank you notes to all applicants' recommeders?

Not sure what you mean here. Are you saying should you send one to yours? Because seeing the emphasis the school gives to being a professional then I would send a follow-up. I sent one to mine (if you do on-campus they said to just email the admissions office with the name of the interviewer in the subject and they will forward it to that person)

If you are saying do they thank all the alumni who interview, then I would think so. It is an alumni volunteering time to help the university. I don't think they would send "thank you"s only to the people who interviewed people they are accepting. That would be a pretty dick move basically saying “because you interviewed a less qualified prospective student, we don't really appreciate your help."

I think OP means do they thank the people who wrote LORs for the OP. If so, I haven't heard of it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:53 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:

That day is coming!

Yes, please NU! Let us all in so we can take this awesome collegiality to the NU campus!

I finally scanned your QR code just out of curiousity. Looks like your heart is elsewhere!

Jewel628

Postby Jewel628 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:01 pm

I was referring to the LORs :mrgreen: Sorry if I wasn't clear! I am trying to be discreet at the office so I am trying to condense my words. LOL.

One of my recommenders did say they received a note from NU.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Congrats guys! I'm happy for you all, yet so jealous.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:03 pm

Jewel628 wrote:I was referring to the LORs :mrgreen: Sorry if I wasn't clear! I am trying to be discreet at the office so I am trying to condense my words. LOL.

Interesting. I guess that's a good sign? They probably wouldn't thank rejected students' recommenders?

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Jewel628 wrote:I was referring to the LORs :mrgreen: Sorry if I wasn't clear! I am trying to be discreet at the office so I am trying to condense my words. LOL.

Georgetown definitely does this but this is the first I've heard from NU. You, sir (or ma'am), are a special snowflake.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:19 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:

Georgetown definitely does this but this is the first I've heard from NU. You, sir (or ma'am), are a special snowflake.

I def heard of this. A guy from my undergrad got screwed by this. It's a thank you, but it's really a soft confirmation that they actually submitted the letter for you.

This idiot was in his senior year, changed the school names on a rec he received and sent it out everywhere. A school sent his rec a thank you card. She reported it. He didn't graduate. Shitty situation.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:25 pm

JustE wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:

I def heard of this. A guy from my undergrad got screwed by this. It's a thank you, but it's really a soft confirmation that they actually submitted the letter for you.

This idiot was in his senior year, changed the school names on a rec he received and sent it out everywhere. A school sent his rec a thank you card. She reported it. He didn't graduate. Shitty situation.

Wait I don't get it, so she didn't write him a LOR, or she only wrote one for 1 school?

Jewel628

Postby Jewel628 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:25 pm

This recommender's letter went through LSAC--I am guessing maybe it was GULC--my recommender could have confused them.

Thanks everyone for their input.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:26 pm

JustE wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:

Wow, that sucks. Goes to show that even shenanigans that seem small can get you screwed over.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:30 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JustE wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:

Wait I don't get it, so she didn't write him a LOR, or she only wrote one for 1 school?

She wrote him one for a few schools, saying he would be a good fit and thrive academically... No clue which schools, but I'm guessing in the range of 15-50. He had a copy, forged the school names, and applied to the T14.

She got a nice thank you note for her letter (Imagine a confirmation you get for changing an internet password). I guess it had instructions for what to do if she received it in error... :lol: Not sure on the specifics. All I know is he was a year ahead of me and we ended up graduating together. Cool guy. Used the time to retake for a 171. Ended up okay in the end.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:35 pm

This whole journey to law school and beyond is full of panic attack inducing moments! The last time I felt this way - I was waiting for my October LSAT score. I imagine waiting for 1L grades will feel something like this too. And then for job offers. And then for jury verdicts. And on and on.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:37 pm

It's also worth noting this was in Fall '06. Not sure what the LSAC procedures were back then, but apparently she had given him signed and sealed envelopes. Not sure this is possible with the way they process recs now.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:38 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:This whole journey to law school and beyond is full of panic attack inducing moments! The last time I felt this way - I was waiting for my October LSAT score. I imagine waiting for 1L grades will feel something like this too. And then for job offers. And then for jury verdicts. And on and on.

Yeah... starting to see why there's so much drinking in the profession. Glad I already got that out of my system.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:50 pm

JustE wrote:It's also worth noting this was in Fall '06. Not sure what the LSAC procedures were back then, but apparently she had given him signed and sealed envelopes. Not sure this is possible with the way they process recs now.

The solution would be to have a non-school specific letter drafted.

JustE

Postby JustE » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Samara wrote:
JustE wrote:It's also worth noting this was in Fall '06. Not sure what the LSAC procedures were back then, but apparently she had given him signed and sealed envelopes. Not sure this is possible with the way they process recs now.

The solution would be to have a non-school specific letter drafted.

True. He screwed himself.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”