NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
STLMizzou

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Postby STLMizzou » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:26 pm

For me, it cold cuts out Michigan, Minnesota. Not big on upper east coast cuts out Cornell, Penn, and both the Bostons. West coast cuts out all the Cals.

What's left for a splitter is not too much besides from schools that strictly train for their state.

But then again, Friday on my walk I found myself thinking the weather was really nice even though it was 35 out (just happened to not be super windy/cloudy for once), so maybe Chicago is changing me.

AmandaPB

Postby AmandaPB » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:32 pm

STLMizzou wrote:For me, it cold cuts out Michigan, Minnesota. Not big on upper east coast cuts out Cornell, Penn, and both the Bostons. West coast cuts out all the Cals.

What's left for a splitter is not too much besides from schools that strictly train for their state.

But then again, Friday on my walk I found myself thinking the weather was really nice even though it was 35 out (just happened to not be super windy/cloudy for once), so maybe Chicago is changing me.

Hi Mizzou friend. I go there now! Good luck with Northwestern.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:37 pm

Question for pondering: If an unmarried lesbian couple in a civil union has children, are they illegitimate?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:43 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Question for pondering: If an unmarried lesbian couple in a civil union has children, are they illegitimate?

wouldn't the legitimacy be based on the relationship between the child-bearer and the donor/father?

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Question for pondering: If an unmarried lesbian couple in a civil union has children, are they illegitimate?

wouldn't the legitimacy be based on the relationship between the child-bearer and the donor/father?

Yeah, exactly. So a even a married lesbian couple could have bastard children together. Bizarre thought of the day ;-)

addy11

Postby addy11 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:09 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Yeah, exactly. So a even a married lesbian couple could have bastard children together. Bizarre thought of the day ;-)

The whole idea of legitimacy is about as antiquated and useless as the arguments against same sex marriage, IMHO.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:20 pm

addy11 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

The whole idea of legitimacy is about as antiquated and useless as the arguments against same sex marriage, IMHO.

If only people who wrote law where as forward thinking as you. I mean, there are still some trusts and things that bar illegitimate descendants, etc.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:56 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:If only people who wrote law where as forward thinking as you. I mean, there are still some trusts and things that bar illegitimate descendants, etc.

Wouldn't the instrument define legitimacy? Sounds like an issue of interpretation rather than law.

It's an interesting issue though. Are you covering it in one of your courses?
Last edited by bdubs on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

addy11

Postby addy11 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:05 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
If only people who wrote law where as forward thinking as you. I mean, there are still some trusts and things that bar illegitimate descendants, etc.

Yeah, I guess it's the giver's prerogative to cling to such things when their money is in play. It seems like those people have the "concept" of legitimacy in mind more so than whatever the law says... I mean I can't imagine some crusty old scrooge assenting to his estate going to his lesbian daughter's child (via anonymous sperm donor) just because the law was amended.

Anyway, all of my relatives are poor, so none of my illegitimate kids will have anything to fret over :wink:

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:23 am

addy11 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Yeah, I guess it's the giver's prerogative to cling to such things when their money is in play. It seems like those people have the "concept" of legitimacy in mind more so than whatever the law says... I mean I can't imagine some crusty old scrooge assenting to his estate going to his lesbian daughter's child (via anonymous sperm donor) just because the law was amended.

Anyway, all of my relatives are poor, so none of my illegitimate kids will have anything to fret over :wink:

It's not for a class, but it sort of came up when I was talking with an older student taking family law. Kinda blew my mind a little. :-)

STLMizzou

Postby STLMizzou » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:26 am

AmandaPB wrote:
STLMizzou wrote:For me, it cold cuts out Michigan, Minnesota. Not big on upper east coast cuts out Cornell, Penn, and both the Bostons. West coast cuts out all the Cals.

Hi Mizzou friend. I go there now! Good luck with Northwestern.

Thanks! Enjoy your last semester in Columbia! Good luck to you as well (although with those splits I don't think you need any luck)

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:06 pm

I get nervous when I don't see this thread at the top of the page so...ahem.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:40 pm

elibrarian wrote:I get nervous when I don't see this thread at the top of the page so...ahem.

have you not been constantly refreshing the NYU thread?

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:43 pm

elibrarian wrote:I get nervous when I don't see this thread at the top of the page so...ahem.

Agreed. New twitter post from J this morning... Unfortunately no new info for us, though.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Technically, with the new civil union law, a child born to one of the married lesbians would be (legally) assumed to be the child of both the women because that is the way the law is structured.

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Michigan's getting too close... we need some activity in here, people!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:19 pm

E, I like the name!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

addy11

Postby addy11 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:19 pm

D-hops wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

Technically, with the new civil union law, a child born to one of the married lesbians would be (legally) assumed to be the child of both the women because that is the way the law is structured.

Are you sure? I thought you had to do a second parent adoption. It's great if that is the case, but it still doesn't make the child "legitimate"... I guess that unless a sex change is later involved, no same sex couple can have a legitimate child.

This would probably annoy me if such things like legitimacy were very relevant at all in the modern world :wink:

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:32 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:E, I like the name!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

:D I was hoping you'd like it! :lol:

Thanks again!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:37 pm

JustE wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:E, I like the name!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

:D I was hoping you'd like it! :lol:

Thanks again!

No problem.

I'm so impatient. I'm like, sitting at work WILLING my email to deliver me some good news. I've been complete at WUSTL since 10/31 and then again on 12/2 and it's freaking me out that I'm not hearing back yet. Compound that witht he knowledge that NU won't be getting back to me till February and you have a very frustrated crumps :P

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:15 pm

addy11 wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Are you sure? I thought you had to do a second parent adoption. It's great if that is the case, but it still doesn't make the child "legitimate"... I guess that unless a sex change is later involved, no same sex couple can have a legitimate child.

This would probably annoy me if such things like legitimacy were very relevant at all in the modern world :wink:

The civil union law makes anyone in a civil union treated identical to those in marriages under Illinois law. One presumption in IL law is that a child born to a married couple is the child of both the parents - so it holds that child would be the child of both parents in a civil union. Obviously second parent adoption is the recommended "belt and suspenders" approach but under the law it shouldn't be necessary.

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:33 pm

How many TLS'ers are gonna make the cut for ED?

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:37 pm

JustE wrote:How many TLS'ers are gonna make the cut for ED?

Let's start an over/under:

Over/under 3?

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Let's not go there :cry:

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:02 am

2. Unless they take splitters

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”