NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
foxylaxy

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Post by foxylaxy » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:49 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:This conversation is making me want to play...

Also, Team Horde.

In other news, how long after the off-campus interview have people been going complete?
Took my interview Tuesday 10/25 (also had to call NU to ask them to request for my LOR which apparently weren't sent with my app in Sept). Received e-mail about LOR receipt from NU Wednesday 10/26 .
Marked complete again 11/2. (8 days after interview)

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:17 pm

Samara wrote:
IAFG wrote:God what is it about NU attracting all the internet creepers
I know. You would think the WE emphasis would weed out all the creepers living in their parents' basement, but I guess a few of them managed to hold down jobs at Game Stop for a while.
WE is WE, bro.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Samara wrote:
I know. You would think the WE emphasis would weed out all the creepers living in their parents' basement, but I guess a few of them managed to hold down jobs at Game Stop for a while.
WE is WE, bro.
Is it really? I've been wondering about this, and everyone keeps reiterating that it's important to have work experience, but I've done one year of a pretty simple office job, how does that make me better off later on? I feel like I've learnt nothing new since undergrad and haven't even made that much more money :p Sorry, to detract from the creeper convo...

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:25 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Samara wrote:
WE is WE, bro.
Is it really? I've been wondering about this, and everyone keeps reiterating that it's important to have work experience, but I've done one year of a pretty simple office job, how does that make me better off later on? I feel like I've learnt nothing new since undergrad and haven't even made that much more money :p Sorry, to detract from the creeper convo...

I was oversimplifying in an attempt to be humorous, but I would imagine there's some truth to it. Things like sticking to a schedule, managing deadlines, writing with bosses and coworkers, etc. are some of the maturity factors that make NU pretty great compared to what I hear from other schools.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:Is it really? I've been wondering about this, and everyone keeps reiterating that it's important to have work experience, but I've done one year of a pretty simple office job, how does that make me better off later on? I feel like I've learnt nothing new since undergrad and haven't even made that much more money :p Sorry, to detract from the creeper convo...
You haven't learned ANYTHING? How about - how to work in an office and maintain professional contacts, waking up every day at 7-8 and sitting at a desk for 9 hours, how to take tasks handed down to you and complete them efficiently? Moreover, if you're not living at home, you're learning: how to budget, the hard work it takes to support yourself, how to live independently.

These are all things you learn at a job, and FT jobs are different from internships and PT jobs from college. Not to mention, don't you think you've matured since graduating? I graduated just 1 year ago, and I can already tell that I'm way more mature--about social things (ie drinking) as well as my take on my career plans (ie finding TLS and educating myself and taking the time to save up money for LS, planning for the future).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote: Is it really? I've been wondering about this, and everyone keeps reiterating that it's important to have work experience, but I've done one year of a pretty simple office job, how does that make me better off later on? I feel like I've learnt nothing new since undergrad and haven't even made that much more money :p Sorry, to detract from the creeper convo...

I was oversimplifying in an attempt to be humorous, but I would imagine there's some truth to it. Things like sticking to a schedule, managing deadlines, writing with bosses and coworkers, etc. are some of the maturity factors that make NU pretty great compared to what I hear from other schools.
Absolutely. As someone who has hired interns, most without any previous office experience, I can tell you that it makes a pretty big difference just to have some level of professional work experience. What you do may seem simple, easy and second nature to you now, but IMO you will have a leg up in your nascent career as a lawyer, if not in law school. You know when you read those stories on Above the Law about biglaw associates making a complete ass of themselves? I'd bet the farm that most of them had no previous professional experience.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:32 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:Is it really? I've been wondering about this, and everyone keeps reiterating that it's important to have work experience, but I've done one year of a pretty simple office job, how does that make me better off later on? I feel like I've learnt nothing new since undergrad and haven't even made that much more money :p Sorry, to detract from the creeper convo...
You haven't learned ANYTHING? How about - how to work in an office and maintain professional contacts, waking up every day at 7-8 and sitting at a desk for 9 hours, how to take tasks handed down to you and complete them efficiently? Moreover, if you're not living at home, you're learning: how to budget, the hard work it takes to support yourself, how to live independently.

These are all things you learn at a job, and FT jobs are different from internships and PT jobs from college. Not to mention, don't you think you've matured since graduating? I graduated just 1 year ago, and I can already tell that I'm way more mature--about social things (ie drinking) as well as my take on my career plans (ie finding TLS and educating myself and taking the time to save up money for LS, planning for the future).
+1. If you're any good at your job and at maturing, it can be difficult to notice how much you've really learned and how much you've really matured.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:34 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Haha, maybe I should clarify, I have learnt things, for sure and I've definitely matured in some ways, however I havent lived at home since before undergrad so I matured a lot just being away from home during UG. And that being said I worked for 20 to 30 hours during UG so most of the things around working with others, professional contacts and such I had a pretty good grasp on and actually haven't felt like I've gotten to do a lot of since graduating.

So I definitely get that there's an advantage, but I was just wondering how big this advantage was especially for getting jobs in the summer of 1L or 2L and if my one year office experience will do anything to help me :p

I hope that makes more sense?

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:36 pm

Samara wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote: Is it really? I've been wondering about this, and everyone keeps reiterating that it's important to have work experience, but I've done one year of a pretty simple office job, how does that make me better off later on? I feel like I've learnt nothing new since undergrad and haven't even made that much more money :p Sorry, to detract from the creeper convo...

Absolutely. As someone who has hired interns, most without any previous office experience, I can tell you that it makes a pretty big difference just to have some level of professional work experience. What you do may seem simple, easy and second nature to you now, but IMO you will have a leg up in your nascent career as a lawyer, if not in law school. You know when you read those stories on Above the Law about biglaw associates making a complete ass of themselves? I'd bet the farm that most of them had no previous professional experience.
Haha I'm quite sure that is the case. This is certainly what I wanted to know though, whether it will help in the long run, so if yes then yay! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:45 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Hooray adulthood!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:47 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
Samara wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Haha I'm quite sure that is the case. This is certainly what I wanted to know though, whether it will help in the long run, so if yes then yay! :D
I'm no OCI expert, but word on the TLS street is that previous full-time work experience will give you a boost in OCI. I think NU tends to outperform its ranking in NLJ250 placement and the preponderance of WE among its graduates probably has a lot to do with that.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:49 pm

Samara wrote: I'm no OCI expert, but word on the TLS street is that previous full-time work experience will give you a boost in OCI. I think NU tends to outperform its ranking in NLJ250 placement and the preponderance of WE among its graduates probably has a lot to do with that.
Well it's good to know. And I guess even just the idea that I was able to pull of waking up at 8am every day for a year will say something?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:15 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
Samara wrote: I'm no OCI expert, but word on the TLS street is that previous full-time work experience will give you a boost in OCI. I think NU tends to outperform its ranking in NLJ250 placement and the preponderance of WE among its graduates probably has a lot to do with that.
Well it's good to know. And I guess even just the idea that I was able to pull of waking up at 8am every day for a year will say something?
You'd be surprised.

I can usually tell which of my classmates worked before and which came straight from UG. (And no, it's not the waves of arrogance emanated by some of the straight-from-UG folks ;-) )

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Just received my status checker today. So scared. But so excited too.

citygirl000

Bronze

Post by citygirl000 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Last edited by citygirl000 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:02 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
Judging by the number of threads I see about undergrads asking if they should take LSAT PTs at 8am because they never get up that early, or insisting they can only take the June test because it's later in the day, the ability to wake up in the morning is apparently pretty rare among college students.

As someone who had an 8am class 3x/week almost every single term of UG (and that's when I didn't have morning weight room or stairs workouts), I can't help wishing they would all just DIAF. :P

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:05 pm

I only had 1 class that started before noon for 3.5 years of college, and it didn't start till 10. Still only went about 1 week total :oops:

Then I went to Italy and had an 8 AM 4-hour long Italian class every day that I literally had to walk half an hour to. That was...fun. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:07 pm

My favorite semester was the one where I only went Tuesday and Thursday, but I started at 8a wasn't done until 5:40 or something every day. Five classes back to back. But, was totally worth it for a 5 day weekend. LOL

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:11 pm

citykitty wrote:My favorite semester was the one where I only went Tuesday and Thursday, but I started at 8a wasn't done until 5:40 or something every day. Five classes back to back. But, was totally worth it for a 5 day weekend. LOL
I once had a quarter like that, but I literally couldn't wake myself up in time on T/Th, so I dropped the 9-12 class and picked up a class at 4 PM on M/W :P

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:16 pm

Just fyi, NU 1L's have three or four mornings a week at 8:45. :-)

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:18 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just fyi, NU 1L's have three or four mornings a week at 8:45. :-)
Brb, withdrawing ED app.

Edit: actually, not as bad as now. So, I guess I'll deal. Except I need to get in first...
Last edited by franklyscarlet on Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:25 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just fyi, NU 1L's have three or four mornings a week at 8:45. :-)
All sections?

My big chem and physics lectures and most of my engineering classes took up solid blocks from 8-12 or 1 MWF, and then I had to use Tues/Thurs for all the required humanities BS. I never had any free days, except for the ONE TERM I had a self-paced chemistry lab class that I blew through in 5 weeks, which gave me 5 weeks of Tues/Thurs off. Best term of my life! I hated the 8am classes, but there just wasn't any other way to do it.

Even after almost a decade of getting up at 6:30 for work, my body wants to sleep from 4am-noon and it will shift back to that in two days if I let it. I should've chosen a career where I could work swing shift! :wink:

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
All sections?

My big chem and physics lectures and most of my engineering classes took up solid blocks from 8-12 or 1 MWF, and then I had to use Tues/Thurs for all the required humanities BS. I never had any free days, except for the ONE TERM I had a self-paced chemistry lab class that I blew through in 5 weeks, which gave me 5 weeks of Tues/Thurs off. Best term of my life! I hated the 8am classes, but there just wasn't any other way to do it.

Even after almost a decade of getting up at 6:30 for work, my body wants to sleep from 4am-noon and it will shift back to that in two days if I let it. I should've chosen a career where I could work swing shift! :wink:
Yes, all sections- we all have classes the same times (except CLR), but which classes we have which slots varies. I know that 1L's have had the 8:45 MTW the last couple years at least.

Boston_NYG2245

Bronze

Post by Boston_NYG2245 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:01 pm

foxylaxy wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:This conversation is making me want to play...

Also, Team Horde.

In other news, how long after the off-campus interview have people been going complete?
Took my interview Tuesday 10/25 (also had to call NU to ask them to request for my LOR which apparently weren't sent with my app in Sept). Received e-mail about LOR receipt from NU Wednesday 10/26 .
Marked complete again 11/2. (8 days after interview)
I went complete the day after mine

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:51 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
All sections?

Yes, all sections- we all have classes the same times (except CLR), but which classes we have which slots varies. I know that 1L's have had the 8:45 MTW the last couple years at least.
Going to be an interesting change! Haven't had a class that started before 11am in my entire UG experience. Gotta love the flexibility of my degree :p In my last year I had no classes before 12 or after 5pm and had Mondays and Fridays off. Now real life is kicking my ass.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”