NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Tiago Splitter

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:35 pm

No cpe for me. Not terribly excited about the interview but I'll do a lot for some scholly cash. May also be a good excuse to head back to Chicago in the fall.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:36 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Same here. I just decided to apply recently because I have zero pertinent WE (nanny - so I can prove that I have mad mommy skillz but sadly I don't think that helps with the top law thing :) ) So I'm kinda lost about the entire app process for all the schools...I don't even know what the hell an evaluation is. Maybe I shouldn't even bother trying here :(

Hey now!!! If you had that attitude about the LSAT where'd you be? Not on TLS chatting with us awesome people or on the track for a 170-something, that's for sure ^_^
UnamSanctam wrote:I want to apply to NU, but their CPE and interview make me rage. I don't have WE. The interview isn't a big deal, but the CPE is. Who's going to fill out one of those for me? Nobody.

Do you have any supervisors from UG? I had my current employer fill one out, then I'm going to ask a firm I interned for 2 summers at during college, and then a supervisor of mine from a non-profit I was involved in for 3/4 years of UG. So only 2 of them are actual 'employers' and only 1 is FT work, but I think it still counts because they were able to see me in a work setting and got a sense of what my work ethic/career goals were.

Also, just to remind everyone, it is optional.

If I get one, it will be from a professor that I hope to TA for this coming year b/c as you know, I can't tell my job I'm going to law school

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:37 pm

freestallion wrote:
Samara wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:I want to apply to NU, but their CPE and interview make me rage. I don't have WE. The interview isn't a big deal, but the CPE is. Who's going to fill out one of those for me? Nobody.

If you don't have WE, the interview is definitely more important than the CPEs. Since they're still new, I get the impression that they don't expect everyone to have CPEs.

Hmm... I mean, I do have WE but I just don't feel like bothering my boss for an additional form... I guess she wouldn't mind though. For some reason, I just hate asking for recommendations :evil: WHYYY NU.

I'm with ya. One of my recommenders is at a former employer in a different state and is really busy, so asking her to do a LOR and CPE is going to feel like I'm imposing, but I guess I just have to suck it up. (Speaking of that, why have I waited this long to ask?! Arrrrgh!)

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:38 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Yea....my CPE would work great if it was:

Able to carry two babies at once with ease? Y/N

Able to change diaper in two minutes or less? Y/N

Able to recognize and properly react to various cries? Y/N

I'd ace that. But considering I have no good WE and these special forms and whatnot I just don't know if I have a shot.
C'mon kids, cheer up! I have WE but I didn't do CPEs (um, because I didn't read NU's directions very carefully and didn't know they had anything different from LSAC's LOR/eval forms :oops:), and didn't even interview. NU is a strange duck; they may see something they like in your interview or essay and take you despite a lack of "real" WE or whatever.

Eich, I'd spin the nanny thing as formally as possible. Being a nanny is as legit as being a barista, especially if you make it sound like more than being a babysitter. Not everyone who gets into NU has five years of corporate ladder-climbing. I'm a glorified computer drafter--the same basic job I've had since I was 15 years old. (No, check that; I'm a drafter, period, no glory, with an unused engineering degree getting dusty on my shelf.)

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Yea....my CPE would work great if it was:

Able to carry two babies at once with ease? Y/N

Able to change diaper in two minutes or less? Y/N

Able to recognize and properly react to various cries? Y/N

I'd ace that. But considering I have no good WE and these special forms and whatnot I just don't know if I have a shot.
C'mon kids, cheer up! I have WE but I didn't do CPEs (um, because I didn't read NU's directions very carefully and didn't know they had anything different from LSAC's LOR/eval forms :oops:), and didn't even interview. NU is a strange duck; they may see something they like in your interview or essay and take you despite a lack of "real" WE or whatever.

Eich, I'd spin the nanny thing as formally as possible. Being a nanny is as legit as being a barista, especially if you make it sound like more than being a babysitter. Not everyone who gets into NU has five years of corporate ladder-climbing. I'm a glorified computer drafter--the same basic job I've had since I was 15 years old. (No, check that; I'm a drafter, period, no glory, with an unused engineering degree getting dusty on my shelf.)

Yea I will try my best emphasize the responsibility/commitment side of things and de-emphasize the fact that my resume says that I'm fully qualified to be a good mom vs. good law student haha.

I'm nervous about the interview though. Gulp.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:44 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Eich, I'd spin the nanny thing as formally as possible. Being a nanny is as legit as being a barista, especially if you make it sound like more than being a babysitter. Not everyone who gets into NU has five years of corporate ladder-climbing. I'm a glorified computer drafter--the same basic job I've had since I was 15 years old. (No, check that; I'm a drafter, period, no glory, with an unused engineering degree getting dusty on my shelf.)

+1. I stuff envelopes and update timesheets. Lol.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:46 pm

You're not alone samara. I just got around to asking my recommenders today. Procrastination ftw!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:48 pm

Yeah if you haven't asked yet do it NOW. I know a girl who had pretty good stats (180!!) who didn't even apply last year because her LORs didn't send in their letters before the app deadline and basically boned her. And I asked one of my LORs back in April and she still hasn't gotten around to it. Hustle!!!

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:51 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Yeah if you haven't asked yet do it NOW. I know a girl who had pretty good stats (180!!) who didn't even apply last year because her LORs didn't send in their letters before the app deadline and basically boned her. And I asked one of my LORs back in April and she still hasn't gotten around to it. Hustle!!!

Yeah, seriously. I asked one of my LORs LAST YEAR :shock: :shock: And she never got around to it... I have given up on that one :evil:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:54 pm

freestallion wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Yeah if you haven't asked yet do it NOW. I know a girl who had pretty good stats (180!!) who didn't even apply last year because her LORs didn't send in their letters before the app deadline and basically boned her. And I asked one of my LORs back in April and she still hasn't gotten around to it. Hustle!!!

Yeah, seriously. I asked one of my LORs LAST YEAR :shock: :shock: And she never got around to it... I have given up on that one :evil:

Yeah some people just...don't have their shit together/realize that someone is counting on them. :|

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:06 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Do you have any supervisors from UG? I had my current employer fill one out, then I'm going to ask a firm I interned for 2 summers at during college, and then a supervisor of mine from a non-profit I was involved in for 3/4 years of UG. So only 2 of them are actual 'employers' and only 1 is FT work, but I think it still counts because they were able to see me in a work setting and got a sense of what my work ethic/career goals were.

The only FT job I ever had was working for the Department of Natural Resources. It was a summer job, but it was 40 hours/week. Still, it was only from May-Aug, and the supervisor will never, ever write anything for me to help me out. Harry Potter and Voldemort saw eye-to-eye better.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:09 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Do you have any supervisors from UG? I had my current employer fill one out, then I'm going to ask a firm I interned for 2 summers at during college, and then a supervisor of mine from a non-profit I was involved in for 3/4 years of UG. So only 2 of them are actual 'employers' and only 1 is FT work, but I think it still counts because they were able to see me in a work setting and got a sense of what my work ethic/career goals were.

The only FT job I ever had was working for the Department of Natural Resources. It was a summer job, but it was 40 hours/week. Still, it was only from May-Aug, and the supervisor will never, ever write anything for me to help me out. Harry Potter and Voldemort saw eye-to-eye better.

You didn't do any internships in undergrad? Any extra-curriculars where you worked under a supervisor, like student government or a non profit or volunteer shelter or something? It doesn't have to be FT or for a whole year, it just has to be someone who saw you in a work-like instead of academic setting.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:16 pm

I know, I'm being lazy and stupid! Luckily, I'm friends with the person who works for her now so I can pester her from the inside.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Samara wrote:

I know, I'm being lazy and stupid! Luckily, I'm friends with the person who works for her now so I can pester her from the inside.

Nahh that's not what I meant. LORs can just be really lame sometimes. But YAY having an in XD

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Samara wrote:

:shock:

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:22 pm

tmon wrote:
Samara wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:24 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:

Nahh that's not what I meant. LORs can just be really lame sometimes. But YAY having an in XD

I've been justifying my procrastination by the CPEs not being currently released for 2012, but that's no excuse. Oddly, the CPE form is up for the accelerated JD application. It's the same form, right? I didn't see anything specific to the accelerated program.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:24 pm

I came for the pictures of Chicago food. Didn't find those, but this is amazing info, crumps. Good luck to all you guys applying!

My only advice is that if you want scholarship money, you have to do the financial aid essay. I didn't do it because I was like "pffffffff, surely that's not required." Yeah, no scholarship for me. Ah well.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Xifeng wrote:
tmon wrote:
Samara wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

haha, not like that! :evil:

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:27 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:I came for the pictures of Chicago food. Didn't find those, but this is amazing info, crumps. Good luck to all you guys applying!

My only advice is that if you want scholarship money, you have to do the financial aid essay. I didn't do it because I was like "pffffffff, surely that's not required." Yeah, no scholarship for me. Ah well.

Here you go!

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Mmmmmmmmmm. Now I want a dog smothered in ketchup for lunch.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:30 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:Mmmmmmmmmm. Now I want a dog smothered in ketchup for lunch.

Ketchup does not belong on hot dogs

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Samara wrote:I've been justifying my procrastination by the CPEs not being currently released for 2012, but that's no excuse. Oddly, the CPE form is up for the accelerated JD application. It's the same form, right? I didn't see anything specific to the accelerated program.
?? Isn't the CPE form like the LOR form for LSAC in that it's not dated to one single cycle (for example, you don't have to wait for applications to open in order to give your LOR the correct form because it's always the same)? If so, there is an online version and a pdf version (LinkRemoved) available already on the NU blog.
d34dluk3 wrote:I came for the pictures of Chicago food. Didn't find those, but this is amazing info, crumps. Good luck to all you guys applying! My only advice is that if you want scholarship money, you have to do the financial aid essay. I didn't do it because I was like "pffffffff, surely that's not required." Yeah, no scholarship for me. Ah well.
Thanks Luke! And there are pics if you go back a few pages. ^_^ Thanks for the advice!!

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:31 pm

So I was looking at the application PDF in the OP and under "option recommendation" it explicitly says "Please note that we do NOT require a letter of recommendation as part of the admissions application. However, if you choose to include recommendation information you must have your recommender complete our Career Progress Evaluation Form." That seems to say that a normal LOR isn't really an option, but maybe it's just vague and I'm misinterpreting...

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:32 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:Mmmmmmmmmm. Now I want a dog smothered in ketchup for lunch.

Ketchup does not belong on hot dogs

Okay, this is Indianapolis, not Chicago, but it's the best hot dog you can have! (Pictured: pretzel dog)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”