NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Samara

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Samara » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:15 pm

elibrarian wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
initech wrote:Mine is not showing an ED certification either.

Oh good, that's not just me.

Same. Also, for the Interview box it says "Interview Scheduled" though I had mine quite some time ago. Thats normal, yes?

Yep, mine says that and I interviewed in September.

Jewel628

Postby Jewel628 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:15 pm

No the check box was there before--I am compulsive obsessive about that because I had faxed mine in instead of mailing.

JustE

Postby JustE » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:18 pm

elibrarian wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Same. Also, for the Interview box it says "Interview Scheduled" though I had mine quite some time ago. Thats normal, yes?

Wait, what? I don't have any of that on my screen...

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Samara wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

Yep, mine says that and I interviewed in October.

this

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:25 pm

And all of this happened today, right? Curiouser and curiouser.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:26 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:And all of this happened today, right? Curiouser and curiouser.

Most likely it's a glitch, but who knows!

poi

Postby poi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Last edited by poi on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:36 pm

poi wrote:This may have been asked before, but I am horrible at interviews. I am 80% sure that if I interviewed, my chances of admission would decrease, but I read that if I skipped the interview, my chances of admission would significantly decrease. Catch-22. What to do?

Interview. You don't actually have to impress them, just not look like a complete retard

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:45 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
poi wrote:This may have been asked before, but I am horrible at interviews. I am 80% sure that if I interviewed, my chances of admission would decrease, but I read that if I skipped the interview, my chances of admission would significantly decrease. Catch-22. What to do?

Interview. You don't actually have to impress them, just not look like a complete retard

+1. Just smile, dress professionally, and have answers to all of the questions in the first post of this thread. Do that and you'll be fine.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:48 pm

To add to what Jam and emkay have said, you might want to work on your interview skills now while you can. Interviewing is an incredibly important aspect of getting a job in the legal world--you need to do 2 interviews just to get an offer--so it's best for you to get familiar with it now instead of right in the middle of 1L job hunting or 2L OCI.

In fact, the reason why NU does interviews is in an attempt to replicate the 2L OCI job hunt for 0Ls so we get a taste of what interviews are like. Of course, our interviews are much easier and there's a lot less pressure involved, but still. Point is: get used to it, because it will be crucial to have as a skill in the future.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:51 pm

My status checker still has a check for "Optional - Early Decision Notification."

Did this change for some people or something?! A summary would be appreciated.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Y'all, I really don't think these one-liners about interview scheduled or ED certifications have any bearing on admissions. If anything, they're just in the process of reviewing or double checking that you're complete. But most likely, it's just an automatic system update. Chillax. :mrgreen:

JustE

Postby JustE » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:41 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Y'all, I really don't think these one-liners about interview scheduled or ED certifications have any bearing on admissions. If anything, they're just in the process of reviewing or double checking that you're complete. But most likely, it's just an automatic system update. Chillax. :mrgreen:

K... Checking one last time...

Boston_NYG2245

Postby Boston_NYG2245 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:14 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

To add to what Jam and emkay have said, you might want to work on your interview skills now while you can. Interviewing is an incredibly important aspect of getting a job in the legal world--you need to do 2 interviews just to get an offer--so it's best for you to get familiar with it now instead of right in the middle of 1L job hunting or 2L OCI.

In fact, the reason why NU does interviews is in an attempt to replicate the 2L OCI job hunt for 0Ls so we get a taste of what interviews are like. Of course, our interviews are much easier and there's a lot less pressure involved, but still. Point is: get used to it, because it will be crucial to have as a skill in the future.

This. Also, the best thing to do for any interview is just relax. I'm a pretty reserved guy so I had some trouble with interviews myself coming out of undergrad. Here's some general advice that has really helped me:

Quiet confidence is great to have, bragging too much can indicate that you're insecure and you don't want to come across as brash. If you're considering NU then you've probably already done some pretty cool things in life so don't be afraid to talk about yourself (of course avoid being too braggy or putting down others). Be yourself and don't try to be something you're not. For example, if you're not funny don't try to tell a joke. A little casual conversation at the beginning won't hurt, but make sure you come across as someone who can be professional. Other things interviewers like to see: demonstrated leadership, ability to work with others, communication skills (writing as well as speaking are important for lawyers), a wide range of interests...

In the end, unless you totally bomb by not knowing anything about the school or saying something inappropriate this isn't going to make or break your chances at admissions so take the interview. Definitely look at the list of interview questions in the original post, those are pretty standard for a lot of behavioral interviews so having good answers for them will serve you well now and in the future. Also, make sure you have some questions of your own for the interviewer. Good luck!

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:33 pm

Maybe if I have time tonight I'll do the whole LSN thing. That figure mentioned above by barneytrouble is heartening.

This whole application process is just grueling. I heard from Duke weeks and weeks ago and since...... crickets.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:37 pm

basilseal wrote:Maybe if I have time tonight I'll do the whole LSN thing. That figure mentioned above by barneytrouble is heartening.

This whole application process is just grueling. I heard from Duke weeks and weeks ago and since...... crickets.

DO IT

And then I will stalk your LSN.

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Just had my interview today. After hearing everyone say how 'chill' it was, I have to say, mine was not that chill. My interviewer was nice, but she definitely asked me a lot of questions. More questions than the ones listed in the OP, and asked me for more detailed answers than the ones I had prepared. Lots of "elaborate on this." Moral of the story is that there is no such thing as being over prepared.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:08 pm

Heads up: it's NU, not NW or NWU. :)

And try not to worry about status checker changes- the intranet is always doing loopy things here, so get used to it! :)

Did everyone have a nice turkey time?

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:14 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Heads up: it's NU, not NW or NWU. :)

And try not to worry about status checker changes- the intranet is always doing loopy things here, so get used to it! :)

It aggravates me that it's NU and not NW. NW stands out more and makes it seem more special. NU could be any N-letter university!

Other than taking my dog to the pet hospital, it was an above-average turkey time.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Samara wrote:

It aggravates me that it's NU and not NW. NW stands out more and makes it seem more special. NU could be any N-letter university!

Other than taking my dog to the pet hospital, it was an above-average turkey time.
My family has spent turkey day with some really good family friends every year (except one year in the mid-80s) for 32 years. It's usually the only time I get to see one of my best friends (the daughter of the other family), and it's by far my favorite holiday. I hope the logistics allow me to go home for turkey during LS.

I really had to get used to using NU instead of NW, but I think I've got myself trained.

It still blows my mind that I'm moving south and east to go to a school called Northwestern. :P (like the guy who talked to Johann at the law fair, except I'd never say it's stupid!)
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strange

Postby Strange » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:23 pm

DonnaDraper wrote:Just had my interview today. After hearing everyone say how 'chill' it was, I have to say, mine was not that chill. My interviewer was nice, but she definitely asked me a lot of questions. More questions than the ones listed in the OP, and asked me for more detailed answers than the ones I had prepared. Lots of "elaborate on this." Moral of the story is that there is no such thing as being over prepared.

Lol, one guy in here apparently got grilled about what the school mascot and school motto was or some other stuff like that. I guess it varies. Mine was very informal.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:55 pm

Samara wrote:

Yes, but Northwestern is just one word. ;-)

Is puppeh ok?

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:35 pm

My interview was with one of the deans and it was formal but chill, if that makes any sense. He definitely wanted to know about my history, but we ended up talking about one of my hobbies in detail in the end.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:39 pm

Strange wrote:Lol, one guy in here apparently got grilled about what the school mascot and school motto was or some other stuff like that. I guess it varies. Mine was very informal.

That was me. I was asked about the mascot, school colors, location, football teams current season record as of the day of interview, how they faired against my UG.

And aside from those "gotcha" questions, I was also asked what other schools I was applying to, and was asked to rank them in the order I wish to attend them. When I gave the obvious answer for what one would give during a NU interview, I was then asked why them over school X.

But it offered me the chance to show resilience and intrepidation in the face of admissions danger. Whether I actually showed resilience or intrepidation remains to be determined.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:43 pm

EMZE wrote:
Strange wrote:Lol, one guy in here apparently got grilled about what the school mascot and school motto was or some other stuff like that. I guess it varies. Mine was very informal.

That was me. I was asked about the mascot, school colors, location, football teams current season record as of the day of interview, how they faired against my UG.

And aside from those "gotcha" questions, I was also asked what other schools I was applying to, and was asked to rank them in the order I wish to attend them. When I gave the obvious answer for what one would give during a NU interview, I was then asked why them over school X.

But it offered me the chance to show resilience and intrepidation in the face of admissions danger. Whether I actually showed resilience or intrepidation remains to be determined.

LOL you don't root for law schools sports teams. That is doubly true when the teams are as TTT as NW's are. Why would they possible ask that.

Was this a person at the law school? Admissions person or student.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”