NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
emkay625

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby emkay625 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:51 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Hi Splitterfriends! How goes the waiting game? :-)

Long! I am continually paranoid so I just keep applying to more and more random safeties. I want NU so bad it's ridiculous.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:10 am

emkay625 wrote:

Long! I am continually paranoid so I just keep applying to more and more random safeties. I want NU so bad it's ridiculous.

Best of luck! I hope that wherever you end up is a super good fit! :-D

foxylaxy

Postby foxylaxy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:56 am

Strange wrote:
splbagel wrote:
Strange wrote: a $100 fuel cost shouldn't be making you uneasy at this stage when you're about to jump down the rabbit hole

Regardless of what rabbit hole we're going down in the future, some of us have limited monthly budgets right now... rent and groceries don't pay for themselves!

Understood and I can certainly relate so I didn't mean to sound flippant but I would not cut corners, an interview can only help at this point and you shouldn't be skipping out on an opportunity to maximize your application's strength for $100. Just my opinion.

Did you look up bus transit? Dunno where youre from, but I took greyhound from NYC to Philly for $7 (2 hour express one way). Bus transit in Chicago is $2 one way and $2.25 rail one way. Maybe you can do this instead? Or rail?

For transit info in Chicago, go to http://www.transitchicago.com

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:31 am

Just left the checkout line. The ED app is finally in. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:32 am

when did the ed app get extended to?

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:59 am

Ugh.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:02 am

Samara wrote:

Ugh.

I submitted my app for NU in mid-December and didn't get a decision till late April. Errything's gonna be all right

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:18 am

Flips88 wrote:
Samara wrote:

Ugh.

I submitted my app for NU in mid-December and didn't get a decision till late April. Errything's gonna be all right

Thanks for the encouragement! Splitters gonna split.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:16 am

If they made me wait until April I might seriously cry. :(

JustE

Postby JustE » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:30 pm

emkay625 wrote:when did the ed app get extended to?

Didn't realize there was an ED app extension, but I believe the on-campus interviews have been extended for ED applicants.

We were strongly encouraged to submit our ED apps by Nov. 15th, but I had a few last minute revisions. As long as it's complete by Dec. 1, you're fine.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:00 pm

UMich took the edge off for me but I still REALLY want NU. Waiting is still unbearable. :(
Last edited by Hopefully2012 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:00 pm

got my status checker today! Cue the obsession.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:46 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:got my status checker today! Cue the obsession.

Nice! It helps that they aren't doing decisions on a rolling basis. It sucks to see so many other people get decisions in the other thread when you still are LSFA.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:06 pm

Samara wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:got my status checker today! Cue the obsession.

Nice! It helps that they aren't doing decisions on a rolling basis. It sucks to see so many other people get decisions in the other thread when you still are LSFA.

I think they will be doing decisions on a rolling basis come mid-December; they are just later to start sending out Decisions compared to other schools. The admiss. off. I spoke to during my interview said they don't look at applications until late November, but they start looking at them by prioritizing ED based on when you sent it in (ie; the earlier your sent date, the earlier you will be reviewed and the faster you'll hear back). I predict all of us will hear back by mid December and it will be good news for all! :P

outsidethescope

Postby outsidethescope » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:13 pm

foxylaxy wrote:Did you look up bus transit? Dunno where youre from, but I took greyhound from NYC to Philly for $7 (2 hour express one way). Bus transit in Chicago is $2 one way and $2.25 rail one way. Maybe you can do this instead? Or rail?

Canceled my interview. A bus ticket to the nearest city is $190.00 round trip. I could fly for $200. Or, I could split gas with a creeper on Craigslist for $50. The only rail hauls freight, and though I've always wanted to ride a train, this doesn't seem like a great time.

Why is there no such thing as skype interviews, Norrrthwesssterrrn?

Oh well. I am still happy. :mrgreen:

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:13 pm

outsidethescope wrote:
foxylaxy wrote:Did you look up bus transit? Dunno where youre from, but I took greyhound from NYC to Philly for $7 (2 hour express one way). Bus transit in Chicago is $2 one way and $2.25 rail one way. Maybe you can do this instead? Or rail?

Canceled my interview. A bus ticket to the nearest city is $190.00 round trip. I could fly for $200. Or, I could split gas with a creeper on Craigslist for $50. The only rail hauls freight, and though I've always wanted to ride a train, this doesn't seem like a great time.

I couldn't reasonably get an interview either. It's not a deal-breaker :D

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
outsidethescope wrote:

I couldn't reasonably get an interview either. It's not a deal-breaker :D

I just had my interview and it felt like a deal breaker.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:50 pm

EMZE wrote:I just had my interview and it felt like a deal breaker.

:?: Unless you completely bombed it (which doesn't really seem possible unless you said something racist/sexist/homophobic), I can't imagine what would give you that impression. What happened?

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

:?: Unless you completely bombed it (which doesn't really seem possible unless you said something racist/sexist/homophobic), I can't imagine what would give you that impression. What happened?

My interview was possibly a deal breaker too. A lot of people on here seem to make it sound like they're really easy, but I don't think they are necessarily so. I think it depends on who you get. I have had many interviews in my life and my interviewers are always impressed. Nearly every interview I've ever had has worked in my favor, including landing jobs where the odds were severely against me, so I know that it's not just like I don't know how to interview or am somehow offensive. The interviewer was pretty honest with me about it though. He liked me and had a lot of good things to say about me, but he was looking for something specific which I wasn't.
Last edited by Tim0thy222 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:39 pm

Nah, I'm sure you did fine. Unless Johann quotes you on Twitter, it's not a dealbreaker.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

My interview was possibly a deal breaker too. A lot of people on here seem to make it sound like they're really easy, but I don't think they are necessarily so. I think it depends on who you get.

What about your interview made it seem hard?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:40 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:My interview was possibly a deal breaker too. A lot of people on here seem to make it sound like they're really easy, but I don't think they are necessarily so. I think it depends on who you get.

Do you mind me asking what gave you that impression? I'm just curious because it seems like so many people had a good experience, this is the first time I'm hearing that people thought it could be important enough to be a deal breaker. It's fine if you don't feel comfortable though (:

ETA: seeing your edit: what did your interviewer say he was looking specifically for that you didn't have? Again, if you don't want to share that's okay.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:43 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

My interview was possibly a deal breaker too. A lot of people on here seem to make it sound like they're really easy, but I don't think they are necessarily so. I think it depends on who you get. I have had many interviews in my life and my interviewers are always impressed. Nearly every interview I've ever had has worked in my favor, including landing jobs where the odds were severely against me, so I know that it's not just like I don't know how to interview or am somehow offensive. The interviewer was pretty honest with me about it though. He liked me and had a lot of good things to say about me, but he was looking for something specific which I wasn't.

The friendly LSN graph says: "You are fine!"

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1011/

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:53 pm

FINALLY submitted.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Samara wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

My interview was possibly a deal breaker too. A lot of people on here seem to make it sound like they're really easy, but I don't think they are necessarily so. I think it depends on who you get.

What about your interview made it seem hard?

Basically, the reasons I want to go to law school that I enjoyed the study of philosophy and have been told by law professors that the study of law is essentially applied philosophy, plus I have looked over law school curriculum and know I would enjoy it. Also, I have worked in professional environments and know I want a career in a professional environment, and legal work is a type of work that would play to my strengths, so my current plan is to go into some kind of transactional corporate work, though I intend to keep an open mind my 1L year and explore other career paths for lawyers, which are also appealing to me.

My interviewer basically didn't believe me that I could know I want to be a lawyer even though I haven't had hands-on experience in law firms. He was advising me to take a year or two off and go work in an office where lawyers work, and try to get near them to see if I want to do it.

He wanted to know "why Chicago." I was honest about the fact that I am not really focused on any region, and that I am just going where my career takes me. He didn't like that, he wanted a specific reason for Chicago. He wanted to know "why Northwestern," and I told him I wanted a top legal education, so I applied to top schools that were in my range. He wanted something like "I want Northwestern specifically because I want to study with blah blah blah professor in the blah blah blah department."

So, he even admitted that there's nothing wrong with where I'm at, but I think secretly he thought I was just a lost child or something. He wanted me to be someone who knows exactly which job I want to land after law school because of some direct experience I had with that job, and someone who wants to live in Chicago specifically and attend Northwestern specifically. I am basically the opposite, since my priority is to go to a top school regardless of what city it is and who teaches there, and I want to choose between my career options as a lawyer as I have build experience as a law student.

I think part of the reason he wanted me to be more specific is because he flat out told me that if I was inclined to do something like government work or a clerkship or academia or something, I'd probably be better off going to a different school, and that Northwestern is extremely corporate-focused.

As far as it being a deal breaker, I don't know if it will be, but it will probably be a negative. Whether or not they like my work experience will probably have more to do with whether or not they admit me.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”