NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Samara

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Postby Samara » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:44 am

Yeah, yeah, Giordano's, Gino's, Lou Malnati's, those are all quite delicious, but the best is Tortorice's. If you're like me and prefer less chunky sauce and a greater cheese ratio, Tortorice's is the way to go!

--ImageRemoved--

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:48 am

Oh, and next time you're at Lou Malnati's, get the fried cheddar cubes. Sooooo gooooood....

--ImageRemoved--

JamMasterJ

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:21 pm

tmon wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:ftfy.

Crumps and Eich: make sure you tell me when you're going to Chicago (though I don't have 2k poasts)

:lol:

you should be a personal investigator tmon

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:09 am

Just for anyone who's interested in coordinating le schedules, I'm going to shoot to be there the weekend of the 13-15 of October. Want to finish LSATs and spend a weekend in Vegas before I do my interview :mrgreen:

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:31 am

Another random question... are you guys submitting evaluations or LORs? I didn't even think about evaluations (the NU specific ones) but I recently heard somewhere they prefer that. But I really don't want to ask recommenders to fill out additional forms... Any thoughts?

sanetruth

Postby sanetruth » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:39 am

tagging.

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:14 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Just for anyone who's interested in coordinating le schedules, I'm going to shoot to be there the weekend of the 13-15 of October. Want to finish LSATs and spend a weekend in Vegas before I do my interview :mrgreen:

They haven't posted interview slots for those dates, right Crumps? I just made an account and checked the system out after reading that and it's all just grayed out. I think I remember them saying only the early stuff was posted so far somewhere though.

ETA: I'll either be in town for that weekend or in Minnesota visiting an old roommate it seems. Been trying to get up there for like a year to see him...but it's anything but assured. We shall see...

freestallion wrote:Another random question... are you guys submitting evaluations or LORs? I didn't even think about evaluations (the NU specific ones) but I recently heard somewhere they prefer that. But I really don't want to ask recommenders to fill out additional forms... Any thoughts?

It sounded to me like the eval is preferable, but I think I can only get one. The one I can get should be really solid though, so I'm going to use that and probably an academic LOR since I'll only be two years out upon enrollment next year.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Just for anyone who's interested in coordinating le schedules, I'm going to shoot to be there the weekend of the 13-15 of October. Want to finish LSATs and spend a weekend in Vegas before I do my interview :mrgreen:

I AM SO EXCITED. <3

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:26 pm

freestallion wrote:Another random question... are you guys submitting evaluations or LORs? I didn't even think about evaluations (the NU specific ones) but I recently heard somewhere they prefer that. But I really don't want to ask recommenders to fill out additional forms... Any thoughts?

I won't be doing any LSAC evals, but I will be doing CPEs (NU's version of a LOR, the Career Progress Evaluation). I should have posted a link in the OP about it. They wrote a blog entry concerning it: --LinkRemoved-- [[NOTE: I don't know if this applies to the non-ED/RD JD candidates...if soemone knows let me know and I'll edit the OP]]

I'll be getting 2 (possibly 3) CPEs and 2 LORs.
tmon wrote:They haven't posted interview slots for those dates, right Crumps? I just made an account and checked the system out after reading that and it's all just grayed out. I think I remember them saying only the early stuff was posted so far somewhere though.

ETA: I'll either be in town for that weekend or in Minnesota visiting an old roommate it seems. Been trying to get up there for like a year to see him...but it's anything but assured. We shall see...

No, they haven't...I'm basically going to be checking every day to make sure I get a slot in the right weekend. I hope they open them up soon though because my dad won't let me book plane tickets until I schedule my interview (which makes sense but I don't want to miss out on any deals XD XD)

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:23 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

I won't be doing any LSAC evals, but I will be doing CPEs (NU's version of a LOR, the Career Progress Evaluation). I should have posted a link in the OP about it. They wrote a blog entry concerning it: --LinkRemoved-- [[NOTE: I don't know if this applies to the non-ED/RD JD candidates...if soemone knows let me know and I'll edit the OP]]

Thanks for this info! Sigh, I don't want to obtain CPE's but I feel that would really hurt me. Rethinking my application to Northwestern...

dakure

Postby dakure » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:24 pm

soj

Postby soj » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:28 pm

I wish I could go to Chicago and try one of those. :)

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:30 pm

The grocery store now sells Gino's frozen pizza's. They are surprisingly good

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:36 pm

freestallion wrote:Thanks for this info! Sigh, I don't want to obtain CPE's but I feel that would really hurt me. Rethinking my application to Northwestern...

NP!! And as far as I know they are optional. Also, they're pretty easy to fill out...there's a link online that your boss can fill out in one sitting.
And JMJ that sounds delish.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:43 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:The grocery store now sells Gino's frozen pizza's. They are surprisingly good

+1

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:58 pm

freestallion wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Thanks for this info! Sigh, I don't want to obtain CPE's but I feel that would really hurt me. Rethinking my application to Northwestern...

Same here. I just decided to apply recently because I have zero pertinent WE (nanny - so I can prove that I have mad mommy skillz but sadly I don't think that helps with the top law thing :) ) So I'm kinda lost about the entire app process for all the schools...I don't even know what the hell an evaluation is. Maybe I shouldn't even bother trying here :(

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:13 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
freestallion wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Same here. I just decided to apply recently because I have zero pertinent WE (nanny - so I can prove that I have mad mommy skillz but sadly I don't think that helps with the top law thing :) ) So I'm kinda lost about the entire app process for all the schools...I don't even know what the hell an evaluation is. Maybe I shouldn't even bother trying here :(

+1.

I want to apply to NU, but their CPE and interview make me rage. I don't have WE. The interview isn't a big deal, but the CPE is. Who's going to fill out one of those for me? Nobody.

Eichörnchen

Postby Eichörnchen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Yea....my CPE would work great if it was:

Able to carry two babies at once with ease? Y/N

Able to change diaper in two minutes or less? Y/N

Able to recognize and properly react to various cries? Y/N

I'd ace that. But considering I have no good WE and these special forms and whatnot I just don't know if I have a shot.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:23 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:I want to apply to NU, but their CPE and interview make me rage. I don't have WE. The interview isn't a big deal, but the CPE is. Who's going to fill out one of those for me? Nobody.

If you don't have WE, the interview is definitely more important than the CPEs. Since they're still new, I get the impression that they don't expect everyone to have CPEs.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Samara wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:I want to apply to NU, but their CPE and interview make me rage. I don't have WE. The interview isn't a big deal, but the CPE is. Who's going to fill out one of those for me? Nobody.

If you don't have WE, the interview is definitely more important than the CPEs. Since they're still new, I get the impression that they don't expect everyone to have CPEs.

This is reassuring, but academic as I don't yet have that 170+ LSAT either. Meh. Here's to fantasizing about NU.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:29 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
Samara wrote:

This is reassuring, but academic as I don't yet have that 170+ LSAT either. Meh. Here's to getting NU easily with my kickass October score.

ftfy

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Samara wrote:

Hmm... I mean, I do have WE but I just don't feel like bothering my boss for an additional form... I guess she wouldn't mind though. For some reason, I just hate asking for recommendations :evil: WHYYY NU.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:33 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
Samara wrote:

This is reassuring, but academic as I don't yet have that 170+ LSAT either. Meh. Here's to getting NU easily with my kickass October score, except with a 3.26 even a 180 might not get me in.

ftfy

FTFY

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:33 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:Same here. I just decided to apply recently because I have zero pertinent WE (nanny - so I can prove that I have mad mommy skillz but sadly I don't think that helps with the top law thing :) ) So I'm kinda lost about the entire app process for all the schools...I don't even know what the hell an evaluation is. Maybe I shouldn't even bother trying here :(

Hey now!!! If you had that attitude about the LSAT where'd you be? Not on TLS chatting with us awesome people or on the track for a 170-something, that's for sure ^_^

Do you have any supervisors from UG? I had my current employer fill one out, then I'm going to ask a firm I interned for 2 summers at during college, and then a supervisor of mine from a non-profit I was involved in for 3/4 years of UG. So only 2 of them are actual 'employers' and only 1 is FT work, but I think it still counts because they were able to see me in a work setting and got a sense of what my work ethic/career goals were.

Also, just to remind everyone, it is optional.

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:35 pm

freestallion wrote:
Samara wrote:

Hmm... I mean, I do have WE but I just don't feel like bothering my boss for an additional form... I guess she wouldn't mind though. For some reason, I just hate asking for recommendations :evil: WHYYY NU.

If you have someone who can/will provide a solid CPE I really think you should go for it if you like NU. Any time you can provide something they prefer and choose not to I feel like you're doing your app a disservice. It might be annoying to ask, but it can definitely pay off.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”