NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Flips88

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Flips88 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:14 am

Tim0thy222 wrote:I have my off-campus interview day after tomorrow!

Can anyone tell me about the interview or link me to info about what kinds of questions will be asked? I seem to remember seeing it but can't find it right now by searching, and I don't really want to dig through this whole thread if I can avoid it.

No post-grad WE, but 2 years of 35/hr per week in UG. Hopefully I'm the exception to that daunting WE graph in the OP...

Go to page 1 of this thread

moshid

Postby moshid » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:19 am

Tim0thy222 wrote:I have my off-campus interview day after tomorrow!

Can anyone tell me about the interview or link me to info about what kinds of questions will be asked? I seem to remember seeing it but can't find it right now by searching, and I don't really want to dig through this whole thread if I can avoid it.

No post-grad WE, but 2 years of 35/hr per week in UG. Hopefully I'm the exception to that daunting WE graph in the OP...

Don't know about your link, but I can tell you that mine wasn't very structured. Beyond asking me why law school/Northwestern and a question about a leadership experience I've had, there were no generic questions. It was all very natural.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:Can anyone tell me about the interview or link me to info about what kinds of questions will be asked? I seem to remember seeing it but can't find it right now by searching, and I don't really want to dig through this whole thread if I can avoid it.

Check OP. #4.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:42 pm

Yeah I went back and saw the questions in the OP. Guess I just missed them the first time. Thanks!

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:45 pm

So I have my interview on Friday with an associate at a huge law firm in-state. I'm a high splitter (177, 3.6x) but my full-time WE is limited to last summer working as a mechanic. Is this interview going to make or break my application?

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:50 pm

the_phoenix612 wrote:So I have my interview on Friday with an associate at a huge law firm in-state. I'm a high splitter (177, 3.6x) but my full-time WE is limited to last summer working as a mechanic. Is this interview going to make or break my application?

From what I can tell the off-campus interviews are of especially limited value. I think your numbers are very good but the lack of WE might hamper you. I'm not sure what the stats are for K-JD applicants

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:56 pm

the_phoenix612 wrote:So I have my interview on Friday with an associate at a huge law firm in-state. I'm a high splitter (177, 3.6x) but my full-time WE is limited to last summer working as a mechanic. Is this interview going to make or break my application?

I highly doubt it; it seems like the interview is mainly just to gauge whether you're completely socially inept or not. Johann has compared it to a mock-job interview. Because of that, I tend to see it as a "is this person so socially awkward that they will get shut out of a job, or are they okay?" So just enjoy it :D

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:02 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

I highly doubt it; it seems like the interview is mainly just to gauge whether you're completely socially inept or not. Johann has compared it to a mock-job interview. Because of that, I tend to see it as a "is this person so socially awkward that they will get shut out of a job, or are they okay?" So just enjoy it :D

+1 Not make or break.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Anyone else have a non-responsive interviewer? In terms of not replying to an interview request?

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:49 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

You have no idea how much better you just made my next two days. I can pull off socially competent for two hours, lol...

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:21 pm

EMZE wrote:Anyone else have a non-responsive interviewer? In terms of not replying to an interview request?

I got an interviewer in mid october, my interviewer took their time replying to my emails, scheduled an interview for two weeks later, now they've postponed it to two weeks from NOW. This is going to take forever to get into my file :/

Edit: Also, mine did NOT reply to emails, I had to call. I suggest you call em

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:22 pm

the_phoenix612 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

You have no idea how much better you just made my next two days. I can pull off socially competent for two hours, lol...

try 30 minutes

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:33 pm

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
EMZE wrote:Anyone else have a non-responsive interviewer? In terms of not replying to an interview request?

I got an interviewer in mid october, my interviewer took their time replying to my emails, scheduled an interview for two weeks later, now they've postponed it to two weeks from NOW. This is going to take forever to get into my file :/

Right. I plan on calling today. I was hoping an e-mail would do since I imagine my interviewer is busy, as am I, and it's hard to find a good time to call during business hours.

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:19 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
the_phoenix612 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

try 30 minutes

Well, I have to get there first, and make it out of the building. I'm just giving myself margin for error :D

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:43 pm

YOU ARE FUCKED

the_phoenix612

Postby the_phoenix612 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:44 pm

cubswin wrote:

YOU ARE FUCKED

YOU ARE NOT HELPFUL

outsidethescope

Postby outsidethescope » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:45 pm

How much does it hurt to not interview? I was going to, but I couldn't afford the cost of the drive...

:oops:

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:46 pm

outsidethescope wrote:How much does it hurt to not interview? I was going to, but I couldn't afford the cost of the drive...

outsidethescope

Postby outsidethescope » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:47 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
outsidethescope wrote:How much does it hurt to not interview? I was going to, but I couldn't afford the cost of the drive...

Still can't afford the drive. Unless you want to give me the $100 it'll take to get to a city from here...

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:49 pm

outsidethescope wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:

Still can't afford the drive. Unless you want to give me the $100 it'll take to get to a city from here...

I don't think not doing the interview will hurt you, but a $100 fuel cost shouldn't be making you uneasy at this stage when you're about to jump down the rabbit hole

splbagel

Postby splbagel » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Strange wrote: a $100 fuel cost shouldn't be making you uneasy at this stage when you're about to jump down the rabbit hole

Regardless of what rabbit hole we're going down in the future, some of us have limited monthly budgets right now... rent and groceries don't pay for themselves!

Strange

Postby Strange » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:53 pm

splbagel wrote:
Strange wrote: a $100 fuel cost shouldn't be making you uneasy at this stage when you're about to jump down the rabbit hole

Regardless of what rabbit hole we're going down in the future, some of us have limited monthly budgets right now... rent and groceries don't pay for themselves!

Understood and I can certainly relate so I didn't mean to sound flippant but I would not cut corners, an interview can only help at this point and you shouldn't be skipping out on an opportunity to maximize your application's strength for $100. Just my opinion.

BigBlueLaw

Postby BigBlueLaw » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:07 pm

EMZE wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:

Right. I plan on calling today. I was hoping an e-mail would do since I imagine my interviewer is busy, as am I, and it's hard to find a good time to call during business hours.

I had an interviewer who didn't respond. After 2 weeks I sent the admissions office an email saying he hasn't responded and a couple of days later I got a new interviewer. I'd suggest going that route.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:33 pm

Northwestern I wake up every morning and pray you've let me in. I know we won't hear until December and for me it'll either be a deny, waitlist or hold for RD, but I still dream.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:44 pm

Hi Splitterfriends! How goes the waiting game? :-)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”