NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby bdubs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:12 am

Hopefully2012 wrote:Using admisionquestion's (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/m ... le&u=67390) method, I've been able to data mine the following information from LSN related to applicants who applied from day one to 11/2 in this cycle and compare it to last year's cycle:

2010-2011 Data:

Median LSAT: 170
Mean LSAT: 169.06
Median GPA: 3.66 (very different from NU's published 3.8 Median)
Mean GPA: 3.601

2011-2012 Data:

Median LSAT: 170
Mean LSAT: 169.59
Median GPA: 3.75
Mean GPA: 3.649

2010-2011 Sample Size: 81
2011-2012 Sample Size: 89

I thought this might be interesting to future hopeful NUers. Looks like the new ED policy might have attracted more LSN data points (very different from data pulled from NYU's and Cornell's LSN which showed pretty drastic decreases in sample size, 25% and 46% respectively).


I'm pretty sure that the "real" GPA median is 3.75-3.8 and not exactly 3.8. NU has reported medians to the tenth decimal for the last few years, and they are allowed to do that.

Why are you surprised that the median/average applicant has a lower than median GPA? NU is known as one of the more splitter friendly schools, so people with low GPAs are more likely to apply. It doesn't mean that they are all equally likely to get in.

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Hopefully2012 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:48 am

bdubs wrote:I'm pretty sure that the "real" GPA median is 3.75-3.8 and not exactly 3.8. NU has reported medians to the tenth decimal for the last few years, and they are allowed to do that.

Why are you surprised that the median/average applicant has a lower than median GPA? NU is known as one of the more splitter friendly schools, so people with low GPAs are more likely to apply. It doesn't mean that they are all equally likely to get in.

Ahh, rounding makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the insight.

Wasn't that surprised, just wanted to point out a discrepancy. It would make sense that the median for the pool of applicants is lower than the ones that NU accepts & matriculates. Just thought it was interesting that there was such a big discrepancy for NU specifically (I guess this is due to NU being known as a "splitter friendly" school) when NYU's and Cornell's applicant pool number is fairly comparable to their medians for matriculates.

I did this only to gauge the trend of this year's applicant pool vs last year's pool. The median numbers for applicants doesn't really tell us much about who, out of LSN participants, were ultimately accepted.

User avatar
foxylaxy
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby foxylaxy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:19 pm

citykitty wrote:My interview is tomorrow. If I get asked what I would do, if I didn't get accepted to any law schools, what do I say. Do I say what I would have done had I not gained any admissions, or do I confess that I already have an acceptance somewhere?


My admissions officer asked me that. I had my interview about 2 weeks ago. I was already accepted to Georgetown, but spoke as if I wasn't. I talked about other interests I had outside of law which we already discussed and pursuing a degree with that instead.

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Hopefully2012 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:10 pm

I randomly googled my name today and stuff on my resume that used to not be on the first page of google is definitely on there now (i.e. college sports stats & linkedin for my job--both were started years ago and I've never seen them on the first page of google). I think AdComms are on the prowl.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:14 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:I randomly googled my name today and stuff on my resume that used to not be on the first page of google is definitely on there now (i.e. college sports stats & linkedin for my job--both were started years ago and I've never seen them on the first page of google). I think AdComms are on the prowl.

:|

User avatar
No13baby
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:42 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby No13baby » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:I randomly googled my name today and stuff on my resume that used to not be on the first page of google is definitely on there now (i.e. college sports stats & linkedin for my job--both were started years ago and I've never seen them on the first page of google). I think AdComms are on the prowl.

Stuff like this makes me so happy I have a super non-descript name. You get a couple pages of IMDB results for a C-list British actress before you see anything related to me.

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Hopefully2012 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:18 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote:I randomly googled my name today and stuff on my resume that used to not be on the first page of google is definitely on there now (i.e. college sports stats & linkedin for my job--both were started years ago and I've never seen them on the first page of google). I think AdComms are on the prowl.

:|

Bored at work, please don't judge me :oops: .

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:I randomly googled my name today and stuff on my resume that used to not be on the first page of google is definitely on there now (i.e. college sports stats & linkedin for my job--both were started years ago and I've never seen them on the first page of google). I think AdComms are on the prowl.
I do this every once in a while to make sure nothing weird/damaging shows up, because I have a pretty distinctive name.

The only semi-odd thing that google brings up is a photo of me in a schoolgirl halloween costume standing next to a hockey goalie, but fortunately the caption explains what's going on.

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby soj » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote:I randomly googled my name today and stuff on my resume that used to not be on the first page of google is definitely on there now (i.e. college sports stats & linkedin for my job--both were started years ago and I've never seen them on the first page of google). I think AdComms are on the prowl.

:|

Bored at work, please don't judge me :oops: .

Nah, JamMasterJ's just confused what it means to google one's name. He's not the best with technology. :P

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7175
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Glad I have a common name. Takes some digging to find me, and there's nothing of note.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:46 pm

soj wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote:I randomly googled my name today and stuff on my resume that used to not be on the first page of google is definitely on there now (i.e. college sports stats & linkedin for my job--both were started years ago and I've never seen them on the first page of google). I think AdComms are on the prowl.

:|

Bored at work, please don't judge me :oops: .

Nah, JamMasterJ's just confused what it means to google one's name. He's not the best with technology. :P

hatersgon'hate

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby emkay625 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Sitting in the airport in San Antonio. So excited and so nervous.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:19 pm

emkay625 wrote:Sitting in the airport in San Antonio. So excited and so nervous.

GOOD LUCK! Don't be nervous, you will do splendidly and it will be a lot of fun. Enjoy yourself! <3 :mrgreen:

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:19 pm

emkay625 wrote:Sitting in the airport in San Antonio. So excited and so nervous.

where have you been lately?

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby emkay625 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:23 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Sitting in the airport in San Antonio. So excited and so nervous.

where have you been lately?


Writing Why X essay after Why X essay.

: )

I still have like 18 more to do.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby emkay625 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:23 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Sitting in the airport in San Antonio. So excited and so nervous.

GOOD LUCK! Don't be nervous, you will do splendidly and it will be a lot of fun. Enjoy yourself! <3 :mrgreen:


Thanks!

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:26 pm

hey guys. I'm checking in here. I got that email from NU about their early decision program and the 50K merit scholarship that comes with it. I think this is the first year that they're doing things like this so does anyone know how exactly this works? Pardon my ignorance.

Basically, if you apply ED and you get accepted, you automatically get a 50K/year scholarship? I assume this probably means that they won't be accepting that many people ED this year then. Otherwise, you will be deferred to RD and it's no longer binding? I mean, I absolutely love NU, but I am also very debt averse and don't want to be locked into $200K of debt without weighing other options.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby emkay625 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:28 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:hey guys. I'm checking in here. I got that email from NU about their early decision program and the 50K merit scholarship that comes with it. I think this is the first year that they're doing things like this so does anyone know how exactly this works? Pardon my ignorance.

Basically, if you apply ED and you get accepted, you automatically get a 50K/year scholarship? I assume this probably means that they won't be accepting that many people ED this year then. Otherwise, you will be deferred to RD and it's no longer binding? I mean, I absolutely love NU, but I am also very debt averse and don't want to be locked into $200K of debt without weighing other options.


yup. this all seems correct, although we really have no clue about the numbers of ed'rs they'll be accepting.

User avatar
Hopefully2012
Posts: 465
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Hopefully2012 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:30 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Basically, if you apply ED and you get accepted, you automatically get a 50K/year scholarship? I assume this probably means that they won't be accepting that many people ED this year then. Otherwise, you will be deferred to RD and it's no longer binding? I mean, I absolutely love NU, but I am also very debt averse and don't want to be locked into $200K of debt without weighing other options.

NU implemented this with you in mind! :) Yes, if you get accepted through ED you are automatically awarded $50k/yr. If you are put in hold and then accepted, they are not longer bound to give you the scholly but you are also no longer bound to accept their offer. NU AdComm said something about how they didn't like the idea of forcing people to sign the dotted line without letting them weigh financial factors.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:33 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:hey guys. I'm checking in here. I got that email from NU about their early decision program and the 50K merit scholarship that comes with it. I think this is the first year that they're doing things like this so does anyone know how exactly this works? Pardon my ignorance.

Basically, if you apply ED and you get accepted, you automatically get a 50K/year scholarship? I assume this probably means that they won't be accepting that many people ED this year then. Otherwise, you will be deferred to RD and it's no longer binding? I mean, I absolutely love NU, but I am also very debt averse and don't want to be locked into $200K of debt without weighing other options.
The deadline for an on-campus interview for ED applicants was Nov. 1, so if you're still considering ED but haven't interviewed yet, I think you're out of luck.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby emkay625 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:34 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:hey guys. I'm checking in here. I got that email from NU about their early decision program and the 50K merit scholarship that comes with it. I think this is the first year that they're doing things like this so does anyone know how exactly this works? Pardon my ignorance.

Basically, if you apply ED and you get accepted, you automatically get a 50K/year scholarship? I assume this probably means that they won't be accepting that many people ED this year then. Otherwise, you will be deferred to RD and it's no longer binding? I mean, I absolutely love NU, but I am also very debt averse and don't want to be locked into $200K of debt without weighing other options.
The deadline for an on-campus interview for ED applicants was Nov. 1, so if you're still considering ED but haven't interviewed yet, I think you're out of luck.


The deadline is the 15th.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:36 pm

emkay625 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:hey guys. I'm checking in here. I got that email from NU about their early decision program and the 50K merit scholarship that comes with it. I think this is the first year that they're doing things like this so does anyone know how exactly this works? Pardon my ignorance.

Basically, if you apply ED and you get accepted, you automatically get a 50K/year scholarship? I assume this probably means that they won't be accepting that many people ED this year then. Otherwise, you will be deferred to RD and it's no longer binding? I mean, I absolutely love NU, but I am also very debt averse and don't want to be locked into $200K of debt without weighing other options.
The deadline for an on-campus interview for ED applicants was Nov. 1, so if you're still considering ED but haven't interviewed yet, I think you're out of luck.


The deadline is the 15th.
Wow, RC fail. Ignore me, everybody! :P

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:37 pm

Aha. Thanks for clarifying! I wish there was a little more data out there on this. I guess the only thing to really go on is the data on LSN - it seems likely that NU won't give out many more $150K scholarships than previous years. After all, there is a limited amount of money to give. Honestly, if I was to get a scholarship like this at NU though, the decision to go would be a no-brainer for me. I'm a Chi-town girl through and through.

Hopefully2012 wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:Basically, if you apply ED and you get accepted, you automatically get a 50K/year scholarship? I assume this probably means that they won't be accepting that many people ED this year then. Otherwise, you will be deferred to RD and it's no longer binding? I mean, I absolutely love NU, but I am also very debt averse and don't want to be locked into $200K of debt without weighing other options.

NU implemented this with you in mind! :) Yes, if you get accepted through ED you are automatically awarded $50k/yr. If you are put in hold and then accepted, they are not longer bound to give you the scholly but you are also no longer bound to accept their offer. NU AdComm said something about how they didn't like the idea of forcing people to sign the dotted line without letting them weigh financial factors.

User avatar
kennethellenparcell
Posts: 509
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:02 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:37 pm

You nearly gave me a heart attack haha.

rinkrat19 wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:hey guys. I'm checking in here. I got that email from NU about their early decision program and the 50K merit scholarship that comes with it. I think this is the first year that they're doing things like this so does anyone know how exactly this works? Pardon my ignorance.

Basically, if you apply ED and you get accepted, you automatically get a 50K/year scholarship? I assume this probably means that they won't be accepting that many people ED this year then. Otherwise, you will be deferred to RD and it's no longer binding? I mean, I absolutely love NU, but I am also very debt averse and don't want to be locked into $200K of debt without weighing other options.
The deadline for an on-campus interview for ED applicants was Nov. 1, so if you're still considering ED but haven't interviewed yet, I think you're out of luck.

User avatar
emkay625
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby emkay625 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
kennethellenparcell wrote:hey guys. I'm checking in here. I got that email from NU about their early decision program and the 50K merit scholarship that comes with it. I think this is the first year that they're doing things like this so does anyone know how exactly this works? Pardon my ignorance.

Basically, if you apply ED and you get accepted, you automatically get a 50K/year scholarship? I assume this probably means that they won't be accepting that many people ED this year then. Otherwise, you will be deferred to RD and it's no longer binding? I mean, I absolutely love NU, but I am also very debt averse and don't want to be locked into $200K of debt without weighing other options.
The deadline for an on-campus interview for ED applicants was Nov. 1, so if you're still considering ED but haven't interviewed yet, I think you're out of luck.


The deadline is the 15th.
Wow, RC fail. Ignore me, everybody! :P


You nearly gave me a heart attack. : ) My interview is tomorrow. I was thinking.....surely I did not fuck this up.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, Bing [Bot], bleakchimera2, ellielaw, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], hip to be Square, playersball, studyingeveryday and 25 guests