NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
StevefromNY

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby StevefromNY » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:02 am

174/2.71, applying ED and praying for a miracle. Unfortunately, no work experience.

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:08 am

Congrats to all the October test takers! Though I'm now nervous about my ED application....

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:27 am

elibrarian wrote:Congrats to all the October test takers! Though I'm now nervous about my ED application....

Yes... damn you all for doing so well! :P

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:39 am

basilseal wrote:
elibrarian wrote:Congrats to all the October test takers! Though I'm now nervous about my ED application....

Hey, I'm not too thrilled about your ED application either! Basically I don't want anyone with higher numbers to apply. Totally fair, right?

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 am

elibrarian wrote:
basilseal wrote:

Hey, I'm not too thrilled about your ED application either! Basically I don't want anyone with higher numbers to apply. Totally fair, right?

Let's just assume that they have millions and millions of dollars in scholarship money and they'll be giving out ED money like IU-B. :wink:

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:01 am

I think it's time to leave you all :( I'm still going to apply ED, if only because there's nowhere else I want to ED, but chances are minuscule to none. Still, it was fun while it lasted! I want to visit all you sexy splitters in Chicago, ok?

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 am

Samara wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
basilseal wrote:

Let's just assume that they have millions and millions of dollars in scholarship money and they'll be giving out ED money like IU-B. :wink:

I like your thinking, Samara.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:31 am

tmon wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
tmon wrote:If my current numbers aren't really even in the ballpark for an NU admit after getting my LSAT should I still go through with my interview this week? The (faintest ever) silver lining is it's so bad I can't even get my hopes up about other options, so I'll have to retake to apply just about anywhere I'd be comfortable attending. Should I still interview now? Do they bring up LSAT scores in the interview at all?

You fill out your score on a little pre-interview sheet

:(
Any chance I could write "taking in December" or something and save the embarrassment?

yeah, this is what crumps and I did for October

cjb0502

Postby cjb0502 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 am

hi all, I've been creeping this thread for a couple of days (not wanting to jinx my splitter-status) while waiting for my october score...

congrats to everyone on all the sweet scores! I feel like I'm in good company (167/169/174, 3.06, 2.5yrsWE)

actual question though - I'm going to be at NU this week for my interview - any current students have recommendations on courses to visit on Thursday or Friday?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:55 am

cjb0502 wrote:hi all, I've been creeping this thread for a couple of days (not wanting to jinx my splitter-status) while waiting for my october score...

congrats to everyone on all the sweet scores! I feel like I'm in good company (167/169/174, 3.06, 2.5yrsWE)

actual question though - I'm going to be at NU this week for my interview - any current students have recommendations on courses to visit on Thursday or Friday?

I'm pretty sure that your choice of 1L core classes are Torts, Crim, or Property. As topics I would probably suggest crim or torts since they are easier to follow if you're coming in late in the semester without having done any of the reading.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:16 am

cjb0502 wrote:hi all, I've been creeping this thread for a couple of days (not wanting to jinx my splitter-status) while waiting for my october score...

My section has property with Glazer (visiting from Hofstra, but a great professor) from 10:25-11:50. We're on estates and land interests now so it's all technical jargon and concepts. I'm not sure it'd be very illustrative of what a class going over case law is like. So maybe hit up the other sections.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:26 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:I think it's time to leave you all :( I'm still going to apply ED, if only because there's nowhere else I want to ED, but chances are minuscule to none. Still, it was fun while it lasted! I want to visit all you sexy splitters in Chicago, ok?

:( :cry: :( :cry: :( :cry:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:28 pm

I am so close to submitting I can TASTE it. Curse my life for forgetting to email myself my resume so I could tinker with it and then upload it to LSAC today. Oh well, tonight...it's happening. Sent out my ED and cert form in the mail today, hopefully they'll be there by Nov 1st or so!!

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:29 pm

Checking in. I'm removing my super cool splitter friends tar now. Nerves got to me this go around. I'll be applying with 153/162/166 and a 3.21. A re-take is obviously out of the question :roll: :lol: :oops:

With the scholly, I'm pretty sure not even an ED can help my chances at NU. I'm sure the URM boost will help a bit, but I'm really not sure flying to Chi for an interview is worth the time or the money at this point with my fugly score.

Congrats to the other splitter friends! It's been a fun ride!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:57 pm

egirarde wrote:Checking in. I'm removing my super cool splitter friends tar now. Nerves got to me this go around. I'll be applying with 153/162/166 and a 3.21. A re-take is obviously out of the question :roll: :lol: :oops:

With the scholly, I'm pretty sure not even an ED can help my chances at NU. I'm sure the URM boost will help a bit, but I'm really not sure flying to Chi for an interview is worth the time or the money at this point with my fugly score.

Are you interviewing anyway? They did say for this cycle an off-campus interview w/an admiss. personnel would qualify in lieu of an on-campus interview. You never know, URM cycles can be kinda crazy! I hope you get in <3

JustE

Postby JustE » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:21 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
egirarde wrote:Checking in. I'm removing my super cool splitter friends tar now. Nerves got to me this go around. I'll be applying with 153/162/166 and a 3.21. A re-take is obviously out of the question :roll: :lol: :oops:

Are you interviewing anyway? They did say for this cycle an off-campus interview w/an admiss. personnel would qualify in lieu of an on-campus interview. You never know, URM cycles can be kinda crazy! I hope you get in <3

Not sure. I interviewed when I applied last cycle (WL). If ED is no longer an option, I don't think I'll interview again. I'll see if I can interview when they come to town next week. If not, I'll just wait and see what happens. :(

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:43 am

Just submitted my app, checking in.

177/3.2

So, I have "23 months" of work experience on my app, and it's all with one company, but half of it's in a small call center and the other half is as a delivery driver.

Anyone think that will count as WE?

Anyway, good luck all.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:54 am

If it's FT, post-graduate work, then yes it will count!

And I just submitted tonight as well. SO FUCKING CRAZY that I finally turned in my application. Wow. :shock: 8) :D >_< :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:14 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:If it's FT, post-graduate work, then yes it will count!

And I just submitted tonight as well. SO FUCKING CRAZY that I finally turned in my application. Wow. :shock: 8) :D >_< :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh, no, it's FT, but it's not post-grad. I just graduated. That's why they asked about if I was in school. Thanks for clarifying on that.

And Good for you getting the app in! Good luck!

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:45 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:And I just submitted tonight as well. SO FUCKING CRAZY that I finally turned in my application. Wow. :shock: 8) :D >_< :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good luck!!! I will be submitting mine as soon as I hear about a fee waiver. So excite!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:21 am

Samara wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:And I just submitted tonight as well. SO FUCKING CRAZY that I finally turned in my application. Wow. :shock: 8) :D >_< :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good luck!!! I will be submitting mine as soon as I hear about a fee waiver. So excite!

Are you EDing Samara? I may be changing my mind to ED Chicago

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:27 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Samara wrote:

Yep, I'm EDing. I was vacillating between NU and UChi with a hypothetical 176+, but with a 175 and Chicago's new GPA numbers, NU is the clearly best option. It's easily my top choice too; even Harvard over NU would be a tough choice for me because of personal considerations.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:27 am

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Samara wrote:

Yep, I'm EDing. I was vacillating between NU and UChi with a hypothetical 176+, but with a 175 and Chicago's new GPA numbers, NU is the clearly best option. It's easily my top choice too; even Harvard over NU would be a tough choice for me because of personal considerations.

I love that we're having this conversation in like three threads ATM

soj

Postby soj » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:33 am

Anyone's guess is good as mine, but NU is one of the most numbers-oriented schools in the T14, up there with UVA. I don't think they're concerned with losing moderate splitters to CCNMVP. More likely, they want to be as secure in their target medians as possible by locking in enough people at or above both their target medians through ED. When you consider that every school needs to have some people below both medians (e.g. URMs), the buffer of people at or above both medians needs to be pretty sizable. I'm actually pretty pessimistic about a moderate splitter's chances at NU ED. A 3.8/170 might have a better shot than 3.7/180.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:35 am

soj wrote:Anyone's guess is good as mine, but NU is one of the most numbers-oriented schools in the T14, up there with UVA. I don't think they're concerned with losing moderate splitters to CCNMVP. More likely, they want to be as secure in their target medians as possible by locking in enough people at or above both their target medians through ED. When you consider that every school needs to have some people below both medians (e.g. URMs), the buffer of people at or above both medians needs to be pretty sizable. I'm actually pretty pessimistic about a moderate splitter's chances at NU ED. A 3.8/170 might have a better shot than 3.7/180.

anyone wanna trade four LSAT points for .4 gpa?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”