NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
basilseal

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby basilseal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:36 am

Just checking... has anyone received a status checker?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:38 am

Opie wrote:I'll be there next Thursday morning through Saturday evening. My interview is after lunch on Friday.

Glazer's property class is legit imo although there's a lot of technical terms bouncing around

jc010

Postby jc010 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:46 am

basilseal wrote:Just checking... has anyone received a status checker?

Yes... I got the checker October 3rd

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:01 pm

I got it the day after I applied.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Speaking of Chicago pizza and law school...

http://chicagoist.com/2011/10/19/justic ... deep-d.php

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:21 pm

Why does NU hate us?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:46 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Bumi wrote:A NU 1L's guide to sitting in on a class when you're visiting:

1) Read this page. Don't know what to pick? Pm me or another student a time slot and we'll tell you what 1L class to pick.

2) It's week 8 of the semester. You don't need to warn the prof that you aren't a student. They know who we are by now. Sit in the back, and if you're in a student's seat, we'll move you, trust us.

3) On the day of, report to admissions and tell them what you are doing. The dude in there will say sure, go right ahead. I assume he knows when classes are cancelled somehow.

4) Don't be late, don't make noise, dear god don't ask a question, dress nice so we have something to look at. We're already tired of looking at each other.

Compared to all the other schools I visited, Northwestern seems to be a lot more laid back about visiting classes. Some schools want to usher you to the best profs, but our admissions office has better things to do.

Putting this in the OP (:

Can't emphasize #4 a-c enough. Seriously. You laugh because you think, "Surely no prospective admit would interrupt a professor!" Just keep laughing...

Oh also, I love talking to the visitors, so PM me if you want to chat before/after class :-)

super credited. do this

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:07 am

3.6 and interview next Friday. What's the lowest LSAT I should still interview with?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:11 am

Opie wrote:3.6 and interview next Friday. What's the lowest LSAT I should still interview with?

Hmm...I think you should interview either way? It can only help, and it looks bad to cancel an interview.

Opie

Postby Opie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:22 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Opie wrote:3.6 and interview next Friday. What's the lowest LSAT I should still interview with?

Hmm...I think you should interview either way? It can only help, and it looks bad to cancel an interview.

You're probably right. If I have slim chances of getting in though I don't want to waste the money. Maybe I'll do it anyway. I'm considering AJD if I don't get in to the JD program. I'm a non-trad and have plenty of WE. That program has a lower LSAT median.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:18 pm

I say interview no matter what - you could always retake in december.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:29 pm

emkay625 wrote:

I say interview no matter what - you could always retake in december.

Exactly. :mrgreen:

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:01 pm

had my interview last friday! I dunno if there's any problem with talking about who conducted my interview but I'll say who did it if anyone is curious and it's not a problem. I thought it went very well - my interviewer only asked questions that were on the first page of this thread and I was completely prepared for all of them. From my understanding the content of the interview doesn't help very much though does it?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:14 pm

theduffman wrote:had my interview last friday! I dunno if there's any problem with talking about who conducted my interview but I'll say who did it if anyone is curious and it's not a problem. I thought it went very well - my interviewer only asked questions that were on the first page of this thread and I was completely prepared for all of them. From my understanding the content of the interview doesn't help very much though does it?

AFAIK, it's just to make sure that the applicant isn't crazy/incredibly awkward/an idiot in person. Also, according to Johann:

I want the interview to be a measure of interpersonal skills in a setting similar to a legal job interview. In most of those cases, the interviewer will not have your resume until moments before the interview itself. I also want to give as many people as possible access to the interviewing program.

It seems like it's also a test of (assuming you get in and do well) whether you'd be well-equipped for 2L OCI. XD I thought that was pretty cool.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:17 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
theduffman wrote:had my interview last friday! I dunno if there's any problem with talking about who conducted my interview but I'll say who did it if anyone is curious and it's not a problem. I thought it went very well - my interviewer only asked questions that were on the first page of this thread and I was completely prepared for all of them. From my understanding the content of the interview doesn't help very much though does it?

AFAIK, it's just to make sure that the applicant isn't crazy/incredibly awkward/an idiot in person. Also, according to Johann:

I want the interview to be a measure of interpersonal skills in a setting similar to a legal job interview. In most of those cases, the interviewer will not have your resume until moments before the interview itself. I also want to give as many people as possible access to the interviewing program.

It seems like it's also a test of (assuming you get in and do well) whether you'd be well-equipped for 2L OCI. XD I thought that was pretty cool.

so more of a a pass/high pass/ low pass thing than pass/fail?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:30 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

so more of a a pass/high pass/ low pass thing than pass/fail?

I guess? This is allllllllllll speculation on my part though so who knows. x_X

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:35 pm

Y'all are so cute. But I was like this last year, so I understand. From this side of things, it appears to be more a low bar to rule out complete social misfits. From what they tell the student interviewers, there's too much subjectivity for them to use interviews to make hair breadth distinctions between applicants.

/1L

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Hope to see all the takers and retakers ITT celebrating their scores soon!

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:37 pm

Can we have a splitter friends update? (and other NU people update?!) how did it go guys?!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:39 pm

emkay625 wrote:Can we have a splitter friends update? (and other NU people update?!) how did it go guys?!

Niiiiice.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:02 pm

emkay625 wrote:Can we have a splitter friends update? (and other NU people update?!) how did it go guys?!

Congrats!

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:22 pm

I see some congrats are in order for Crumps

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:09 pm

If my current numbers aren't really even in the ballpark for an NU admit after getting my LSAT should I still go through with my interview this week? The (faintest ever) silver lining is it's so bad I can't even get my hopes up about other options, so I'll have to retake to apply just about anywhere I'd be comfortable attending. Should I still interview now? Do they bring up LSAT scores in the interview at all?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:17 pm

tmon wrote:If my current numbers aren't really even in the ballpark for an NU admit after getting my LSAT should I still go through with my interview this week? The (faintest ever) silver lining is it's so bad I can't even get my hopes up about other options, so I'll have to retake to apply just about anywhere I'd be comfortable attending. Should I still interview now? Do they bring up LSAT scores in the interview at all?

You fill out your score on a little pre-interview sheet

tmon

Postby tmon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:20 pm

Flips88 wrote:
tmon wrote:If my current numbers aren't really even in the ballpark for an NU admit after getting my LSAT should I still go through with my interview this week? The (faintest ever) silver lining is it's so bad I can't even get my hopes up about other options, so I'll have to retake to apply just about anywhere I'd be comfortable attending. Should I still interview now? Do they bring up LSAT scores in the interview at all?

You fill out your score on a little pre-interview sheet

:(
Any chance I could write "taking in December" or something and save the embarrassment?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”