NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tmon

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby tmon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:19 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Samara wrote:On another topic, did anyone else text "aardvark?" NU has yet again charmed me with their humorous ways.

wait, wut?

tweetsbyjohann
Want to be on our e-mail mailing list? facebook.com/nulawadmission…

tweetsbyjohann
OR- you can txt the word "aardvark" to 22828. Really... you can!

theduffman

Postby theduffman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm flying into Chicago tomorrow night.. I have an interview friday. Any tips? I am nervous that I'm going to get my LSAT right before the interview... Also will anyone else be in Chicago Friday night?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:43 pm

theduffman wrote:I'm flying into Chicago tomorrow night.. I have an interview friday. Any tips? I am nervous that I'm going to get my LSAT right before the interview... Also will anyone else be in Chicago Friday night?

read the OP of this thread and be prepared to answer those questions as well as questions about your resume. Most of the stuff they ask you is going to come from one of those sources

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:04 pm

Will anybody else be in Chicago Nov. 3 - Nov 5?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:05 pm

emkay625 wrote:Will anybody else be in Chicago Nov. 3 - Nov 5?

I wish ): ):

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:08 pm

I'll be in Chi from now until at least 2015, pending LSAT score :lol:

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:56 pm

tmon wrote:I'll be in Chi from now until at least 2015, pending LSAT score :lol:

:lol: Same here.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:43 pm

Catch up time (I hate posting on my phone and I've been at work all day).

Yes $3 a beer is expensive in my book, no I'm not talking about Miller. I spend $5 for LITERS of Köstritzer Schwarzbier when I'm feeling spendy. The place I go will fill a 32oz mug with a mixed drink for $8. That's a quarter an ounce! Lots of places here have dollar beer nights. Another place I go has 75 cent gin and tonics. I love Iowa. :mrgreen:

I love the Cubs. My late father was a Cubs fan though, so they're near sacred to me. If the Southsiders here have thick skins and want to hear it, I'll tell my favorite Chicago baseball joke. It's offensive to Southsiders though.

I did indeed sent an aardvark, and am now on the list.

Also, celery salt is MANDATORY! And don't let anyone try to put jalapenos on your dog. That's nasty.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:20 pm

New Mailbag!

aes6b

Postby aes6b » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Did any of y'all sit in on classes before/after your interviews?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:30 pm

I thought this was interesting --

Johann Lee wrote:Q) Alright, I get the interview program. But... I don't understand why you interview before my application is submitted? What's the interviewer going to ask?

A) Part of it is logistical- part of it is philosophical. Logistical: In order to interview to the extent that we do (3,500+ interviews), we need to open up the IV process early. Which also means, that we will probably interview individuals that have yet to apply. Philosophical: I want the interview to be a measure of interpersonal skills in a setting similar to a legal job interview. In most of those cases, the interviewer will not have your resume until moments before the interview itself. I also want to give as many people as possible access to the interviewing program.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:15 pm

aes6b wrote:Did any of y'all sit in on classes before/after your interviews?

I plan to do so the day before my interview. That way I have more to talk about!

aes6b

Postby aes6b » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Opie wrote:

I plan to do so the day before my interview. That way I have more to talk about!

Oh that's a good idea! Do we have to sign up in advance or can we just pop into any class as it's about to start??

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:52 pm

Opie wrote:

If you guys want advice on what classes to sit in on, PM one of the NU students. Some classes are a lot better than others.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:06 pm

aes6b wrote:
Opie wrote:

Oh that's a good idea! Do we have to sign up in advance or can we just pop into any class as it's about to start??
I haven't sat in on any at NU, but at another school I was told that it's a good idea to check in with the prof before the class starts, to let him know who the rando in the back row is. (And some classes have seating charts that you don't want to interfere with.)

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:08 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
aes6b wrote:
Opie wrote:

I haven't sat in on any at NU, but at another school I was told that it's a good idea to check in with the prof before the class starts, to let him know who the rando in the back row is. (And some classes have seating charts that you don't want to interfere with.)

Go to the admissions office--they have a list of classes that are open to being interrupted and viewed by prospective students. I assume some professors would let you sit in on other classes too, but IMO it's always better to err on the side of NOT potentially irritating a faculty member.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:29 pm

A NU 1L's guide to sitting in on a class when you're visiting:

1) Read this page. Don't know what to pick? Pm me or another student a time slot and we'll tell you what 1L class to pick.

2) It's week 8 of the semester. You don't need to warn the prof that you aren't a student. They know who we are by now. Sit in the back, and if you're in a student's seat, we'll move you, trust us.

3) On the day of, report to admissions and tell them what you are doing. The dude in there will say sure, go right ahead. I assume he knows when classes are cancelled somehow.

4) Don't be late, don't make noise, dear god don't ask a question, dress nice so we have something to look at. We're already tired of looking at each other.

Compared to all the other schools I visited, Northwestern seems to be a lot more laid back about visiting classes. Some schools want to usher you to the best profs, but our admissions office has better things to do.

Okay my casebook misses me.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:30 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Go to the admissions office--they have a list of classes that are open to being interrupted and viewed by prospective students. I assume some professors would let you sit in on other classes too, but IMO it's always better to err on the side of NOT potentially irritating a faculty member.

+1 You never know who is an adcomm.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:33 pm

Bumi wrote:A NU 1L's guide to sitting in on a class when you're visiting:

1) Read this page. Don't know what to pick? Pm me or another student a time slot and we'll tell you what 1L class to pick.

2) It's week 8 of the semester. You don't need to warn the prof that you aren't a student. They know who we are by now. Sit in the back, and if you're in a student's seat, we'll move you, trust us.

3) On the day of, report to admissions and tell them what you are doing. The dude in there will say sure, go right ahead. I assume he knows when classes are cancelled somehow.

4) Don't be late, don't make noise, dear god don't ask a question, dress nice so we have something to look at. We're already tired of looking at each other.

Compared to all the other schools I visited, Northwestern seems to be a lot more laid back about visiting classes. Some schools want to usher you to the best profs, but our admissions office has better things to do.

Putting this in the OP (:

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:38 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Can't emphasize #4 a-c enough. Seriously. You laugh because you think, "Surely no prospective admit would interrupt a professor!" Just keep laughing...

Oh also, I love talking to the visitors, so PM me if you want to chat before/after class :-)

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Can't emphasize #4 a-c enough. Seriously. You laugh because you think, "Surely no prospective admit would interrupt a professor!" Just keep laughing...

At our orientation they made fun of a guy (who ended up being in the audience) for raising his hand and attempting to answer questions while sitting in on a class. Don't be that guy.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Rest assured that I will be contacting you guys when I get to Chicago next Thursday. :)

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Opie wrote:Rest assured that I will be contacting you guys when I get to Chicago next Thursday. :)

If you're here on Thursday or Friday, DiCola has a good Torts class to sit in on. You won't be lost because he's always using PowerPoint slides and does a lot of lecturing on the background of the topic being covered.

Whatever you do, do not sit in on a CLR class. It's excruciating and will have zero value for you.

aes6b

Postby aes6b » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:02 pm

Opie wrote:Rest assured that I will be contacting you guys when I get to Chicago next Thursday. :)

Ditto! I'll be there on Tuesday!

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:07 pm

I'll be there next Thursday morning through Saturday evening. My interview is after lunch on Friday.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”