NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tmon

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby tmon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:53 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:My smug, mega-Cub-fan, northside-pride-4life-even-though-he's-never-actually-lived-in-the-city father-in-law told me that. So, consider the source I guess.

What is all this prejudice against Cubs fans? I've heard it from others too--that they're 'fratty'/'douchey' and etc etc...I don't get it.

Walking by Wrigley and it's surrounding bar area as a game's getting out is a lot like walking past frat row. Just a lot of drunk bros. There are a lot of cool fans though too, they're just not as obnoxious. Sitting out in the bleachers on a summer day is a great time, especially if the crowd is good that day.

I have nothing against Cubs fans who have never lived in Chicago though, as I used to be one. It's like being a Yankees fan but you've actually had to pay your dues :lol:

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:53 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:My smug, mega-Cub-fan, northside-pride-4life-even-though-he's-never-actually-lived-in-the-city father-in-law told me that. So, consider the source I guess.

What is all this prejudice against Cubs fans? I've heard it from others too--that they're 'fratty'/'douchey' and etc etc...I don't get it.

They sing this after every win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS3llgyGZ68 :?

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:55 pm

I root for an Cali team but I'll probably also root for the Sox if I end up in Chicago. I like a lot of their players

I got my first letter in, my GPA ready, so all I'm waiting for is....... $%#! 8)

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:56 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

It's difficult to put into words. Suffice to say it's a real, serious feeling among fellow White Sox fans. I honestly don't know that I could handle a Cubs World Series victory. I know that this is not a noble position but Cubs winning the WS could actually make me move away from Chicago for a few years.

Southside for life,
Basil

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:57 pm

Strange wrote:I root for an Cali team but I'll probably also root for the Sox if I end up in Chicago. I like a lot of their players

I got my first letter in, my GPA ready, so all I'm waiting for is....... $%#! 8)

Welcome to the family.

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:57 pm

I like Go Cubs Go :?

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:58 pm

basilseal wrote:It's difficult to put into words. Suffice to say it's a real, serious feeling among fellow White Sox fans. I honestly don't know that I could handle a Cubs World Series victory. I know that this is not a noble position but Cubs winning the WS could actually make me move away from Chicago for a few years.

Soutside for life,
Basil

Hahahah wow! It's funny because the first 2 people from Chicago I ever met/befriended were diehard Cubs fans. Then as I continued to meet Chicago people, everyone else was like "Ugh, Cubs, fucking fratty/bro-y as hell!" TBF, one of them was in a sorority, but it just amused me because the other one was so non-fratty.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:06 pm

tmon wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Walking by Wrigley and it's surrounding bar area as a game's getting out is a lot like walking past frat row. Just a lot of drunk bros. There are a lot of cool fans though too, they're just not as obnoxious. Sitting out in the bleachers on a summer day is a great time, especially if the crowd is good that day.

I have nothing against Cubs fans who have never lived in Chicago though, as I used to be one. It's like being a Yankees fan but you've actually had to pay your dues :lol:

yay, me. Though I admit that i started to lose faith during the Milton Bradley era

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:11 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
tmon wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

yay, me. Though I admit that i started to lose faith during the Milton Bradley era

I hate Milton Bradley so much. My only hope right now is the new GM will start pushing things in the right direction.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:15 pm

tmon wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
tmon wrote:Walking by Wrigley and it's surrounding bar area as a game's getting out is a lot like walking past frat row. Just a lot of drunk bros. There are a lot of cool fans though too, they're just not as obnoxious. Sitting out in the bleachers on a summer day is a great time, especially if the crowd is good that day.

I hate Milton Bradley so much. My only hope right now is the new GM will start pushing things in the right direction.

#TheoSwag

kaveman

Postby kaveman » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:25 pm

I wish I had time to browse through 50 pages on this thread, but here goes: What's the best way to get from Ohare to the Law School? Speed isn't really an issue since I get in on Sunday and interview's on Monday, but price is. Also, can anyone recommend cheap accommodations near the school? Thanks in advance.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:28 pm

kaveman wrote:I wish I had time to browse through 50 pages on this thread, but here goes: What's the best way to get from Ohare to the Law School? Speed isn't really an issue since I get in on Sunday and interview's on Monday, but price is. Also, can anyone recommend cheap accommodations near the school? Thanks in advance.

http://maps.google.com

YW bro. They have a public transit, and even a walking option! More directly though, I've heard the best/cheapest way to do it is to go Blue Line from O'Hare --> Downtown, then take a bus to NU (or take a cab if you want to pay an extra couple bucks and not have to deal with your suitcases falling everywhere on a public bus).

But srsly. Google maps is awesome. You can even input the day/time so they can give you accurate info about departure times.

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:33 pm

scooped. What Crumps said :lol:
kaveman wrote:I wish I had time to browse through 50 pages on this thread, but here goes: What's the best way to get from Ohare to the Law School? Speed isn't really an issue since I get in on Sunday and interview's on Monday, but price is. Also, can anyone recommend cheap accommodations near the school? Thanks in advance.

If you want cheap, public trans. $2.25. Check out Google Maps for bus routes or trains. I'm not too knowledgable for busses, maybe someone else is. For ease, I'd probably take the blue line into the city, transfer to red line at Jackson, exit Chicago Ave and walk to the school.

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:04 pm

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/visit/hotels.html

Call these hotels and ask for NU rate you should be able to find something for less than $150. That's as cheap as it gets though, in that area.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:44 pm

basilseal wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

It's difficult to put into words. Suffice to say it's a real, serious feeling among fellow White Sox fans. I honestly don't know that I could handle a Cubs World Series victory. I know that this is not a noble position but Cubs winning the WS could actually make me move away from Chicago for a few years.

Southside for life,
Basil

Go Sox! This is a pretty good summation. Also, marrying into a family of diehard Cub fans has showed me how damn smug they all can be about their losing streak. They think that being a Cub fan is a noble pursuit that only the purest of hearts can pursue. They're just butthurt because they can't win for over a century.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:46 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:yeah, they had it at Water Tower Place as part of the everything dog

My smug, mega-Cub-fan, northside-pride-4life-even-though-he's-never-actually-lived-in-the-city father-in-law told me that. So, consider the source I guess.

I plan on rooting for the Cubs over the Sox. I'm basing this entirely on the fact that I'd rather say "I'm going to Wrigley" than "I'm going to US Cellular Field." Although, I've never really watched much NL baseball and the lack of a DH concerns me. :?

They had celery salt at Portillo's, and the Vienna hot dog kiosk at O'Hare.

You can solve that problem the way I do and still call it Comiskey Park. Plus, Robin Ventura is now the manager! Suck it Theo Epstein!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:yeah, they had it at Water Tower Place as part of the everything dog

My smug, mega-Cub-fan, northside-pride-4life-even-though-he's-never-actually-lived-in-the-city father-in-law told me that. So, consider the source I guess.

I plan on rooting for the Cubs over the Sox. I'm basing this entirely on the fact that I'd rather say "I'm going to Wrigley" than "I'm going to US Cellular Field." Although, I've never really watched much NL baseball and the lack of a DH concerns me. :?

You can solve that problem the way I do and still call it Comiskey Park. Plus, Robin Ventura is now the manager! Suck it Theo Epstein!

but really, why you mad?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:

Epstein's hotter. Plus his grandfather and great-uncle wrote Casablanca, which is awesome. :P (When I don't actually care, I base all my sports fandom on utter trivialities.)

It's not the original Comiskey, so it doesn't count.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:It's not the original Comiskey, so it doesn't count.

It was called Comiskey when it opened, so close enough for me.

but really, why you mad?

:oops: Okay, maybe I'm letting my in-laws annoy me too much... I will admit, I do enjoy going to Wrigley.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:58 pm

Here's the real germ of the Cubs/White Sox thing, in my opinion. First, the geography of the city lends itself to to enmity- the North Side really is more affluent, cosmopolitan, etc. The mutual recognition of this fact breeds contempt. Secondly, the Cubs have a far wider fan base- thanks to a tradition (of losing), an old-school well kept ballpark, and just a certain pop culture cache- Harry Caray (who did Sox announcing before Cubs), etc.

When they were owned by the Tribune Co. it was the worst. I remember in '05 when the Sox won the Series the Trib put out a nice little booklet commemorating the season. What's grating is that the Cubs get one of those everytime they make the postseason. I distinctly remember one with "In Dusty We Trusty" on the cover. Ugh. Particularly noxious is the annual ordeal of the Cubs picking up a Big Name for blasphemous amounts of money and watching this player collapse throughout the season. It actually makes me feel bad for the fans. "There's always next year" is the perpetual refrain.

So the Cubs are more popular, have the better ballpark, a fun neighborhood, and a national fanbase. The White Sox fanbase is basically limited to families from the Southside and their descendents. We have a ballpark (getting better) in a not-so-great area, surrounded by trains, a freeway, and parking lots. We have less money, etc.

Which, of course, it what makes it so great to be a Sox fan. It's local, it's familial, it's tribal and primitive in a way that I don't expect others to really understand. The North Side can have the pretty neighborhoods and quaint bars and frat scene [full disclosure: I actually love going out up north]; we'll keep our Sox. It's in the blood and, at least where my family is from, tied up with complex sociological signifiers such as the Daley family, the Democratic party, and the local Catholic parish. The White Sox are more Chicago than Chicago.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:02 pm

basilseal wrote:Here's the real germ of the Cubs/White Sox thing, in my opinion. First, the geography of the city lends itself to to enmity- the North Side really is more affluent, cosmopolitan, etc. The mutual recognition of this fact breeds contempt. Secondly, the Cubs have a far wider fan base- thanks to a tradition (of losing), an old-school well kept ballpark, and just a certain pop culture cache- Harry Caray (who did Sox announcing before Cubs), etc.

When they were owned by the Tribune Co. it was the worst. I remember in '05 when the Sox won the Series the Trib put out a nice little booklet commemorating the season. What's grating is that the Cubs get one of those everytime they make the postseason. I distinctly remember one with "In Dusty We Trusty" on the cover. Ugh. Particularly noxious is the annual ordeal of the Cubs picking up a Big Name for blasphemous amounts of money and watching this player collapse throughout the season. It actually makes me feel bad for the fans. "There's always next year" is the perpetual refrain.

So the Cubs are more popular, have the better ballpark, a fun neighborhood, and a national fanbase. The White Sox fanbase is basically limited to families from the Southside and their descendents. We have a ballpark (getting better) in a not-so-great area, surrounded by trains, a freeway, and parking lots. We have less money, etc.

Which, of course, it what makes it so great to be a Sox fan. It's local, it's familial, it's tribal and primitive in a way that I don't expect others to really understand. The North Side can have the pretty neighborhoods and quaint bars and frat scene [full disclosure: I actually love going out up north]; we'll keep our Sox. It's in the blood and, at least where my family is from, tied up with complex sociological signifiers such as the Daley family, the Democratic party, and the local Catholic parish. The White Sox are more Chicago than Chicago.

So it's like Rangers vs. Devils, in NHL terms.

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
basilseal wrote:Here's the real germ of the Cubs/White Sox thing, in my opinion. First, the geography of the city lends itself to to enmity- the North Side really is more affluent, cosmopolitan, etc. The mutual recognition of this fact breeds contempt. Secondly, the Cubs have a far wider fan base- thanks to a tradition (of losing), an old-school well kept ballpark, and just a certain pop culture cache- Harry Caray (who did Sox announcing before Cubs), etc.

So it's like Rangers vs. Devils, in NHL terms you're baseball hipsters.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:10 pm

This is awesome. Expresses my sentiments far better than I can.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:16 pm

On another topic, did anyone else text "aardvark?" NU has yet again charmed me with their humorous ways.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:18 pm

Samara wrote:On another topic, did anyone else text "aardvark?" NU has yet again charmed me with their humorous ways.

wait, wut?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”