NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
homestyle28

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:19 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Opie wrote:Not including lodging or transport to Chicago, how much should one bring per day for public transit, food, etc.?
I'd definitely get a multi-day CTA pass...I just used cash when I was there, and since they don't do transfers on the buses (wtf?), it's $2.25 every time you get on. Ran through a lot of $1 bills.

If you're curious, cab fare from O'Hare to Streeterville/Mag Mile is about $40 plus tip. Next time I'm going to try taking the El, but I didn't want to make trying to figure out train changes my very first Chicago experience.

They do transfers on the bus, don't they? I think you have to ask for a transfer card or something when you get off. Definitely do the pass though. A one-day pass is $5.75 and a three-day is $14 so it's a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, you can only buy 3- or 7-day passes at the station vending machines. If you want a 1-day, you have order online (lol) or go to like a Walgreens or Jewel or something.

Riding CTA from O-Hare is pretty easy. Hop on the Blue Line towards Forest Park (Downtown). Transfer to the Red Line at Jackson. Get off at Chicago and walk like four blocks. Google Maps also says you can take the Blue Line to the Washington stop and then the 157 bus, which is apparently four minutes faster and involves less walking.

The walk from the Chicago Redline stop isn't bad, and is a little scenic if you're new to Chicago, you cross Mich Ave, see the watertower, get a good view of Hancock Building...but it can be windy (it's Chicago after all).

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:02 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Opie wrote:Not including lodging or transport to Chicago, how much should one bring per day for public transit, food, etc.?
I'd definitely get a multi-day CTA pass...I just used cash when I was there, and since they don't do transfers on the buses (wtf?), it's $2.25 every time you get on. Ran through a lot of $1 bills.

If you're curious, cab fare from O'Hare to Streeterville/Mag Mile is about $40 plus tip. Next time I'm going to try taking the El, but I didn't want to make trying to figure out train changes my very first Chicago experience.

They do transfers on the bus, don't they? I think you have to ask for a transfer card or something when you get off. Definitely do the pass though. A one-day pass is $5.75 and a three-day is $14 so it's a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, you can only buy 3- or 7-day passes at the station vending machines. If you want a 1-day, you have order online (lol) or go to like a Walgreens or Jewel or something.

Riding CTA from O-Hare is pretty easy. Hop on the Blue Line towards Forest Park (Downtown). Transfer to the Red Line at Jackson. Get off at Chicago and walk like four blocks. Google Maps also says you can take the Blue Line to the Washington stop and then the 157 bus, which is apparently four minutes faster and involves less walking.

The walk from the Chicago Redline stop isn't bad, and is a little scenic if you're new to Chicago, you cross Mich Ave, see the watertower, get a good view of Hancock Building...but it can be windy (it's Chicago after all).

The Chicago stop to NU is really not worth getting back on a bus unless it's literally sitting right there

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:13 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I asked for a bus transfer and the driver looked at me like I had two heads and kind of sniffily said "We don't DO transfers on the bus." I thought it was weird, but I'd never ridden the bus anywhere except Portland, so what did I know?

That bus driver was kind of a jerk, too. The bus was almost empty and he wouldn't answer any questions about what we were passing. I had a really nice lady bus driver later in the day who practically gave me a tour of Lake Shore Drive, even pointing out where on the route her favorite view of downtown was. :)

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:13 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I asked for a bus transfer and the driver looked at me like I had two heads and kind of sniffily said "We don't DO transfers on the bus." I thought it was weird, but I'd never ridden the bus anywhere except Portland, so what did I know?

That bus driver was kind of a jerk, too. The bus was almost empty and he wouldn't answer any questions about what we were passing. I had a really nice lady bus driver later in the day who practically gave me a tour of Lake Shore Drive, even pointing out where on the route her favorite view of downtown was. :)

that's odd. Most of the CTA personnel I've dealt with have been really nice.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:19 pm

The CTA stopped doing cash transfers a while ago (1, 2 years? I don't know for sure), but they still do transfers for people with paper passes (only available at L stops) or Chicago Cards (CTA's plastic swipe cards that you get from supermarkets or online).

I definitely second getting the multi-day passes if you are visiting (3 day one is $14) since then you won't have to worry about transfers or how many times you use the bus and it costs less than 2 bus/L rides per day.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:23 pm

bk1 wrote:The CTA stopped doing cash transfers a while ago (1, 2 years? I don't know for sure), but they still do transfers for people with paper passes (only available at L stops) or Chicago Cards (CTA's plastic swipe cards that you get from supermarkets or online).

I definitely second getting the multi-day passes if you are visiting (3 day one is $14) since then you won't have to worry about transfers or how many times you use the bus and it costs less than 2 bus/L rides per day.

You are very unlikely to save money by paying each time if you don't have a car and want to avoid cabs. Go with 2 1-days or a 3-day

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:40 pm

bk1 wrote:The CTA stopped doing cash transfers a while ago (1, 2 years? I don't know for sure), but they still do transfers for people with paper passes (only available at L stops) or Chicago Cards (CTA's plastic swipe cards that you get from supermarkets or online).

You can also get paper passes from CVS, Walgreens, grocery stores, etc.

kaveman

Postby kaveman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Is it bad form to ask for on-campus interview advice on this forum?

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:16 pm

kaveman wrote:Is it bad form to ask for on-campus interview advice on this forum?

Nah. Check out the first post if you haven't first though.

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Thanks for all of the help, guys. I am busing in to Union Station in the morning. I'm assuming all manner of passes can be purchased there? I'll be there roughly three days so I'll get a three day pass. I'm staying with a friend of my wife who lives downtown. I'm not sure exactly where he lives yet, but I think she said it is near Streeterville, so at that time of day I can probably take the Red Line most of the way there. I'll try to bring extra cash for food though. I'm going to miss Des Moines prices. $3 for beer is way too expensive! I don't even spend that on mixed drinks here. :D

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:28 am

Opie wrote:Thanks for all of the help, guys. I am busing in to Union Station in the morning. I'm assuming all manner of passes can be purchased there? I'll be there roughly three days so I'll get a three day pass. I'm staying with a friend of my wife who lives downtown. I'm not sure exactly where he lives yet, but I think she said it is near Streeterville, so at that time of day I can probably take the Red Line most of the way there. I'll try to bring extra cash for food though. I'm going to miss Des Moines prices. $3 for beer is way too expensive! I don't even spend that on mixed drinks here. :D

$3 for a beer is expensive? I assume you're talking about bottles of Miller Lite? If you're talking about pints of specialty beer (Sam Adams Octoberfest) then your Miller Lite beer water must be less than a dollar a bottle.

According to the CTA website, you can buy 3-day passes at Union Station, but the machine is over by the Metra line. You can't buy 1-day passes there, which is dumb. Looks like you'll want to hop on the 157 or 125 bus to get to NU. HTH

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:34 am

Opie wrote:Thanks for all of the help, guys. I am busing in to Union Station in the morning. I'm assuming all manner of passes can be purchased there? I'll be there roughly three days so I'll get a three day pass. I'm staying with a friend of my wife who lives downtown. I'm not sure exactly where he lives yet, but I think she said it is near Streeterville, so at that time of day I can probably take the Red Line most of the way there. I'll try to bring extra cash for food though. I'm going to miss Des Moines prices. $3 for beer is way too expensive! I don't even spend that on mixed drinks here. :D

want. I wouldn't have to sit at home drinking

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:09 am

Just a PSA for everyone: I went to Sonic and tried their "Chicago Dog," and it is not an acceptable substitute for the genuine article. The toppings were fine (it'd be hard to screw up relish and celery salt, I guess), but the hot dog, while ok on its own, was way too bland to support all the strong flavors of the different toppings. It really does require a good kosher beef dog. :P

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:11 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Just a PSA for everyone: I went to Sonic and tried their "Chicago Dog," and it is not an acceptable substitute for the genuine article. The toppings were fine (it'd be hard to screw up relish and celery salt, I guess), but the hot dog, while ok on its own, was way too bland to support all the strong flavors of the different toppings. It really does require a good kosher beef dog. :P

I believe I've spotted your mistake

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:18 am

homestyle28 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Just a PSA for everyone: I went to Sonic and tried their "Chicago Dog," and it is not an acceptable substitute for the genuine article. The toppings were fine (it'd be hard to screw up relish and celery salt, I guess), but the hot dog, while ok on its own, was way too bland to support all the strong flavors of the different toppings. It really does require a good kosher beef dog. :P

I believe I've spotted your mistake
Hey, I'm in Oregon. Not a lot of places serve Chicago dogs out here! :P
I thought Sonic was supposed to be decent food, for fast food. They're pretty new out here so I've only been one other time.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm

Was it the neon green relish at least? Also, I'm told that only southside-type people (read: poors? :P ) do celery salt.

On a related topic, never go to an Uno outside of the Chicago region. I went to one in Florida once and it's nothing like the real thing. Once you've had the real stuff...

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:00 pm

Samara wrote:

Was it the neon green relish at least? Also, I'm told that only southside-type people (read: poors? :P ) do celery salt.

On a related topic, never go to an Uno outside of the Chicago region. I went to one in Florida once and it's nothing like the real thing. Once you've had the real stuff...

that's like skyline outside of Cincy

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:03 pm

Samara wrote:

Also, I'm told that only southside-type people (read: poors? :P ) do celery salt.

No way! Celery salt is city-wide in my experience.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:03 pm

First five beers in Cedar Falls cost me $4. On a Friday night. High quality place.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:05 pm

tmon wrote:
Samara wrote:

Also, I'm told that only southside-type people (read: poors? :P ) do celery salt.

yeah, they had it at Water Tower Place as part of the everything dog

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:17 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
tmon wrote:
Samara wrote:

yeah, they had it at Water Tower Place as part of the everything dog

My smug, mega-Cub-fan, northside-pride-4life-even-though-he's-never-actually-lived-in-the-city father-in-law told me that. So, consider the source I guess.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:18 pm

y u so mad tho?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:yeah, they had it at Water Tower Place as part of the everything dog

My smug, mega-Cub-fan, northside-pride-4life-even-though-he's-never-actually-lived-in-the-city father-in-law told me that. So, consider the source I guess.

I plan on rooting for the Cubs over the Sox. I'm basing this entirely on the fact that I'd rather say "I'm going to Wrigley" than "I'm going to US Cellular Field." Although, I've never really watched much NL baseball and the lack of a DH concerns me. :?

They had celery salt at Portillo's, and the Vienna hot dog kiosk at O'Hare.

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:40 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:yeah, they had it at Water Tower Place as part of the everything dog

I plan on rooting for the Cubs over the Sox. I'm basing this entirely on the fact that I'd rather say "I'm going to Wrigley" than "I'm going to US Cellular Field." Although, I've never really watched much NL baseball and the lack of a DH concerns me. :?

They had celery salt at Portillo's, and the Vienna hot dog kiosk at O'Hare.

Agreed, though I grew up on the Southside and am shaming my family by preferring the Cubs.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:49 pm

Samara wrote:My smug, mega-Cub-fan, northside-pride-4life-even-though-he's-never-actually-lived-in-the-city father-in-law told me that. So, consider the source I guess.

What is all this prejudice against Cubs fans? I've heard it from others too--that they're 'fratty'/'douchey' and etc etc...I don't get it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”