NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Opie

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Opie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:23 pm

elibrarian wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
elibrarian wrote:I would really like any sort of notification that NU has received my application. Email, snail mail, phone call, flare....

LOL can you imagine if they did flares.

That would be so cool... :lol:

Personally, I think a flare acceptance would be best.

Smoke signal is my preferred method. Or mountaintop fires like in LOTR.

Think Johann is creeping us? He mentioned on G+ that black is okay today.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:34 pm

I bet he's just psychic.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:38 pm

A gem from the new G+ entry:

DON'T: Ask your interviewer what was their favorite book was? Then state, "men who read are hot"

This is hysterical.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:32 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Buying a new suit for my interview next week and I'm seeking advice. I look TERRIBLE in black/gray suits because I am very pale and have mousy-colored brown hair. All of my suits are tan, brown, navy and red for this reason. This hasn't been an issue in the past because I've worked in marketing and education, two fields which do not give a flip if I wear a camel colored suit to interview in. Need I buy a black or gray suit? Or would there be another acceptable color? I am fairly certain I need to suck it up and just buy a black or gray suit, but has anyone else done their Northwestern interview in another color?

Sorry if this hijacks this thread a little.

Also, where did you guys stay when you interviewed? I still need to book a hotel and am seeking suggestions.

I think you need a gray suit, if not so much for this as for OCI. Knowing how you look, I'd go with a light gray suit and a darker (blue) blouse

FWIW, I did not wear a suit to my interview and I currently attend NU. Though I think most people probably wore suits to their admissions interview, I didn't feel underdressed in a white shirt, tie, and sweater.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:51 pm

Karl Pilkington FTW!

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:38 am

Woops. Definitley talked a lot about location in my interview though it was mostly conversational (as in being asked have you been to Chicago before and my responding with Yes, I grew up here and desperately want to return and never, ever leave, no really, never EVER want to leave etc) and my question for "Why NU?" was actually "Why NU, other than location?" Hope that was okay....

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:56 am

elibrarian wrote:Woops. Definitley talked a lot about location in my interview though it was mostly conversational (as in being asked have you been to Chicago before and my responding with Yes, I grew up here and desperately want to return and never, ever leave, no really, never EVER want to leave etc) and my question for "Why NU?" was actually "Why NU, other than location?" Hope that was okay....

This will be me, as well.

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:16 am

basilseal wrote:
elibrarian wrote:Woops. Definitley talked a lot about location in my interview though it was mostly conversational (as in being asked have you been to Chicago before and my responding with Yes, I grew up here and desperately want to return and never, ever leave, no really, never EVER want to leave etc) and my question for "Why NU?" was actually "Why NU, other than location?" Hope that was okay....

We may be the same person.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:04 am

cubswin wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Buying a new suit for my interview next week and I'm seeking advice. I look TERRIBLE in black/gray suits because I am very pale and have mousy-colored brown hair. All of my suits are tan, brown, navy and red for this reason. This hasn't been an issue in the past because I've worked in marketing and education, two fields which do not give a flip if I wear a camel colored suit to interview in. Need I buy a black or gray suit? Or would there be another acceptable color? I am fairly certain I need to suck it up and just buy a black or gray suit, but has anyone else done their Northwestern interview in another color?

Sorry if this hijacks this thread a little.

Also, where did you guys stay when you interviewed? I still need to book a hotel and am seeking suggestions.

I think you need a gray suit, if not so much for this as for OCI. Knowing how you look, I'd go with a light gray suit and a darker (blue) blouse

FWIW, I did not wear a suit to my interview and I currently attend NU. Though I think most people probably wore suits to their admissions interview, I didn't feel underdressed in a white shirt, tie, and sweater.

Yeah, Johann's latest Q&A on G+ confirms that shirt, tie and sweater is fine. I second Karl Pilkington FTW, with his "head like a fucking orange."

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:50 am

basilseal wrote:

same, though I'm from a couple hours away

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Well I'm an idiot. I procrastinated so much getting accommodations that the hostels are all booked for the dates I need to go. Most hotels too, it seems. Looks like I'm going to be paying through the nose. :? I don't even want to go anymore after what they did to the ED process.

EDIT: Does anyone know if there's a way to get to the city from the hotels near the airport? I guess it depends on the hotel, but just wondering in general if it makes sense to stay there.
Last edited by Strange on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:59 pm

Strange wrote:Well I'm an idiot. I procrastinated so much getting accommodations that the hostels are all booked for the dates I need to go. Most hotels too, it seems. Looks like I'm going to be paying through the nose. :? I don't even want to go anymore after what they did to the ED process.

Why does the ED process change make you not want to go?

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:02 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Strange wrote:Well I'm an idiot. I procrastinated so much getting accommodations that the hostels are all booked for the dates I need to go. Most hotels too, it seems. Looks like I'm going to be paying through the nose. :? I don't even want to go anymore after what they did to the ED process.

Why does the ED process change make you not want to go?

Not wanting to spend money to fly so close to holiday season for the interview when it looks like the ED isn't going to help me - I didn't mean not want to go to NU. I would probably visit at some point anyway but more on my own terms 8)

But I bought my ticket before I made the announcement.... so it's moot.....

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:30 pm

Wow, I just booked the Allerton for $136 tax included, which is the NU rate. Not bad at all. I'm going to keep shopping around the other NU-rate hotels if anything's cheaper but that's pretty good for that date I'm going.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:34 pm

Strange wrote:Wow, I just booked the Allerton for $136 tax included, which is the NU rate. Not bad at all. I'm going to keep shopping around the other NU-rate hotels if anything's cheaper but that's pretty good for that date I'm going.

If youre looking @ near airport hotels, last time I went I stayed at aloft which is near O'Hare, I think. It was reeealllyy nice and they had a shuttle to downtown that ran pretty frequently. My dad and I rented a car though, since he was there on business, so I can't speak to the speed of the shuttle.

Strange

Postby Strange » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:13 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Strange wrote:Wow, I just booked the Allerton for $136 tax included, which is the NU rate. Not bad at all. I'm going to keep shopping around the other NU-rate hotels if anything's cheaper but that's pretty good for that date I'm going.

If youre looking @ near airport hotels, last time I went I stayed at aloft which is near O'Hare, I think. It was reeealllyy nice and they had a shuttle to downtown that ran pretty frequently. My dad and I rented a car though, since he was there on business, so I can't speak to the speed of the shuttle.

Same price as Allerton. Maaaaaaaan the Allerton is right next to NU. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=allerton& ... n&t=m&z=16 I could roll outta bed and go to the interview. Too dope. I'm hyped now :lol:

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Strange wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Same price as Allerton. Maaaaaaaan the Allerton is right next to NU. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=allerton& ... n&t=m&z=16 I could roll outta bed and go to the interview. Too dope. I'm hyped now :lol:

From 'f this' to 'hyped up' in 3 posts, I'm impressed. Ah, the power of a good deal :lol:

tmon

Postby tmon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:07 pm

Wow nice. I've stayed in the Allerton and really enjoyed it. Great rate too.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:43 am

Even though your problem is solved, I wanted to mention that you can get to the downtown of pretty much any major city from the airport by public transit. Even cities where the transit sucks. Chicago has some of the best transit in America.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:05 pm

Submitted just now.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:31 pm

No13baby wrote:Submitted just now.

Best of luck!

imjustjoking22

Postby imjustjoking22 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:35 pm

EDIT: Does anyone know if there's a way to get to the city from the hotels near the airport? I guess it depends on the hotel, but just wondering in general if it makes sense to stay there.

couchsurfing.org - you're welcome.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:05 am

Had my off-campus interview today. Much less formal than I thought. We mat at the alum's firm and had a very nice conversation for about 45 min. Wasn't asked many specific questions other than why NU and why I'm applying to law school.

I wonder how much effect the interview has on the app, esp when you are slightly below medians

aperfectmap

Postby aperfectmap » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Had my interview yesterday with an Assistant Attorney General of my state. Wore a suit and felt overdressed, as he was wearing just a shirt and tie.

The interview itself was pretty relaxed, and some of the things that he told me about his time at NU - even the hell and death aspects of it - made me want to go there that much more.

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:37 pm

Random question: I sent my interviewer a thank you note and it was returned to me with the address blocked off and RTS written on it. Double checked the address/name/zip code and it was correct. Are they not allowed to accept thank you notes (this was an on campus interview) or is the post office just not so awesome?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”