NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beta

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby beta » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:26 pm

im sorry if this has already been asked--did everyone write the why NU? im already submitting a DS as well..how important is why NU?

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:36 pm

beta wrote:im sorry if this has already been asked--did everyone write the why NU? im already submitting a DS as well..how important is why NU?

It's pretty important. Johann basically said on G+ that there's no reason you can't write a Why NU.

beta

Postby beta » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:18 pm

noted, thanks :)

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:11 pm

basilseal wrote:Would someone mind messaging me the text of that email? I didn't get it, probably as I already applied.

Me too. I'd appreciate a copy.

aes6b

Postby aes6b » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:02 am

Opie wrote:
basilseal wrote:Would someone mind messaging me the text of that email? I didn't get it, probably as I already applied.

Me too. I'd appreciate a copy.

+1 if you don't mind!

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:09 pm

This might be a dumb question, but if one were to apply ED and get rejected (since all accepted ED candidates get scholarship money, could one reapply to NU through regular decision? Is there a point for candidates who have a legitimate shot of getting in RD, but may lack strong enough numbers to receive the scholarship to apply ED?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:13 pm

mottainai wrote:This might be a dumb question, but if one were to apply ED and get rejected (since all accepted ED candidates get scholarship money, could one reapply to NU through regular decision? Is there a point for candidates who have a legitimate shot of getting in RD, but may lack strong enough numbers to receive the scholarship to apply ED?

You would get rolled into the RD pool and released from your commitment to attend if admitted. Your probability of getting in RD probably increases (relative to the non-ED applicants with your numbers) rather than decreases though because you've shown real interest in the school.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:20 pm

bdubs wrote:
mottainai wrote:This might be a dumb question, but if one were to apply ED and get rejected (since all accepted ED candidates get scholarship money, could one reapply to NU through regular decision? Is there a point for candidates who have a legitimate shot of getting in RD, but may lack strong enough numbers to receive the scholarship to apply ED?

You would get rolled into the RD pool and released from your commitment to attend if admitted. Your probability of getting in RD probably increases (relative to the non-ED applicants with your numbers) rather than decreases though because you've shown real interest in the school.

Thanks, bdubs. It seems like there's no downside to applying ED, except for that plane ticket then...

Strange

Postby Strange » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:45 pm

Is anyone writing a NU specific PS, or are y'all just gonna write the Why NU?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:02 pm

Strange wrote:Is anyone writing a NU specific PS, or are y'all just gonna write the Why NU?

just "why NU?"

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:53 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Strange wrote:Is anyone writing a NU specific PS, or are y'all just gonna write the Why NU?

just "why NU?"

Me too.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Buying a new suit for my interview next week and I'm seeking advice. I look TERRIBLE in black/gray suits because I am very pale and have mousy-colored brown hair. All of my suits are tan, brown, navy and red for this reason. This hasn't been an issue in the past because I've worked in marketing and education, two fields which do not give a flip if I wear a camel colored suit to interview in. Need I buy a black or gray suit? Or would there be another acceptable color? I am fairly certain I need to suck it up and just buy a black or gray suit, but has anyone else done their Northwestern interview in another color?

Sorry if this hijacks this thread a little.

Also, where did you guys stay when you interviewed? I still need to book a hotel and am seeking suggestions.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:46 pm

emkay625 wrote:Buying a new suit for my interview next week and I'm seeking advice. I look TERRIBLE in black/gray suits because I am very pale and have mousy-colored brown hair. All of my suits are tan, brown, navy and red for this reason. This hasn't been an issue in the past because I've worked in marketing and education, two fields which do not give a flip if I wear a camel colored suit to interview in. Need I buy a black or gray suit? Or would there be another acceptable color? I am fairly certain I need to suck it up and just buy a black or gray suit, but has anyone else done their Northwestern interview in another color?

Also, where did you guys stay when you interviewed? I still need to book a hotel and am seeking suggestions.

Hotels in Chicago are pretty expensive. I didn't interview, but when I visited Chicago before, I stayed in this hostel (LinkRemoved), and it was great.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:02 pm

emkay625 wrote:Buying a new suit for my interview next week and I'm seeking advice. I look TERRIBLE in black/gray suits because I am very pale and have mousy-colored brown hair. All of my suits are tan, brown, navy and red for this reason. This hasn't been an issue in the past because I've worked in marketing and education, two fields which do not give a flip if I wear a camel colored suit to interview in. Need I buy a black or gray suit? Or would there be another acceptable color? I am fairly certain I need to suck it up and just buy a black or gray suit, but has anyone else done their Northwestern interview in another color?

I think you need a gray suit, if not so much for this as for OCI. Knowing how you look, I'd go with a light gray suit and a darker (blue) blouse

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:05 pm

Probably navy would be ok for the NU interview, but you're gonna want a black suit for OCI, from what I've gathered.

I'm going to avoid navy altogether, personally, because it's so easy to look like a flight attendant. I have medium brown hair and am not very tan as well, but wearing black has never bothered me. (Not that I've ever worn a suit.) Seems like maybe you could help mitigate the effect of the black suit with different color shirts. (Ivory instead of stark white, pale pink, etc.)

ETA: I stayed at the Millennium Nickerbocker for ASW last year, a few blocks north of campus. It's an old (Golden Age) hotel with small rooms, but it was really nice. It's not very cheap, but I got a decent deal with my plane ticket on one of those travel sites (sorry, can't remember which one.)
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:09 pm

The W Lakeshore is about 2 blocks away and I walked to my interview in the morning.... took a good amount of stress off for me. The location also made it easy for me to ask a 1L to lunch at the hotel restaurant after class. I found it beneficial to get the perspective of a 1L at NU around midterm (semi-stressing) time. I booked with points but I think it's about $250-300/night.

I don't really have any clue about women's professional attire so no suggestions there except the girl who went after me was wearing a grey suit with a dark/shinny blue inner-shirt... she looked good imo.

tmon

Postby tmon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:30 pm

If you'd rather not do the hostel option and can stomach $50-$100 a night I've had GREAT success with the name your price sites where you don't know exactly what hotel you'll be in, but do know the general area. Pick streeterville or whatever their downtown area is and plug in a <$100 and you're good to go. Just make sure the stars are decent. There are also some websites that can help you figure out which hotels you're likely to get with those sites. I've gotten the Palmer House and other very very nice places for a decent amount under $100 that way.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:39 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

I think you need a gray suit, if not so much for this as for OCI. Knowing how you look, I'd go with a light gray suit and a darker (blue) blouse

Oooo....light gray is an option I had not considered but seems excellent. Thanks!

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:48 pm

tmon wrote:If you'd rather not do the hostel option and can stomach $50-$100 a night I've had GREAT success with the name your price sites where you don't know exactly what hotel you'll be in, but do know the general area. Pick streeterville or whatever their downtown area is and plug in a <$100 and you're good to go. Just make sure the stars are decent. There are also some websites that can help you figure out which hotels you're likely to get with those sites. I've gotten the Palmer House and other very very nice places for a decent amount under $100 that way.

+1

I stayed at the Marriott on Michigan Ave. for $90 per night through priceline back in August. It was my first bid too so I may have been able to get it cheaper.

Strange

Postby Strange » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:50 am

Also check with NU's website. Some hotels have special rates for people visiting NU

aes6b

Postby aes6b » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:42 am

I would also suggest you check out airbnb.com
I found a place for like $60/night a few blocks from campus and I've used it a few other times to find cheap accommodations since I'm also on a tight teacher's budget :) - some people rent out their entire apartment or some just do a guest room (you can limit your search depending on what you're most comfortable with)

All of my experiences with their listings have been wonderful...feel free to pm me if you have any questions about the site!

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:39 am

You guys have me all worried about my suit choice now. I have a black suit, but I very rarely wear it. I had planned to wear a charcoal DKNY suit with a tiny burgundy windowpane that is barely visible. Thoughts?

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:15 am

Opie wrote:You guys have me all worried about my suit choice now. I have a black suit, but I very rarely wear it. I had planned to wear a charcoal DKNY suit with a tiny burgundy windowpane that is barely visible. Thoughts?

You're fine. I've always thought that black suits on people under 50 or so was a little dour. Makes you look like a mortician. Of course, admissions staff and hiring pros may disagree.

Opie

Postby Opie » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:30 am

basilseal wrote:
Opie wrote:You guys have me all worried about my suit choice now. I have a black suit, but I very rarely wear it. I had planned to wear a charcoal DKNY suit with a tiny burgundy windowpane that is barely visible. Thoughts?

You're fine. I've always thought that black suits on people under 50 or so was a little dour. Makes you look like a mortician. Of course, admissions staff and hiring pros may disagree.

I agree. Black is for funerals, late weddings, and sometimes court. It's that last one that will get ya though. ;)

Many law firms are business casual most of the time anyway though, so I'm not that worried.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”