NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby elibrarian » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:52 am

emkay625 wrote:Still deciding whether or not to to ED. How did you guys make a decision?


I was firmly against EDing but when I thought more about it, there was no reason not to. Yes, I think I could get into higher ranked schools but I want to stay in Chicago (hometown) and NU is beautiful. That coupled with the new scholarship was enough to convince me. Now I'm just scared everyone and their mother is going to apply ED and I will be shut out of any monies. Wait and see, I suppose.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby basilseal » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:44 am

elibrarian wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Still deciding whether or not to to ED. How did you guys make a decision?


I was firmly against EDing but when I thought more about it, there was no reason not to. Yes, I think I could get into higher ranked schools but I want to stay in Chicago (hometown) and NU is beautiful. That coupled with the new scholarship was enough to convince me. Now I'm just scared everyone and their mother is going to apply ED and I will be shut out of any monies. Wait and see, I suppose.

Ditto all this.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:58 am

basilseal wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Still deciding whether or not to to ED. How did you guys make a decision?


I was firmly against EDing but when I thought more about it, there was no reason not to. Yes, I think I could get into higher ranked schools but I want to stay in Chicago (hometown) and NU is beautiful. That coupled with the new scholarship was enough to convince me. Now I'm just scared everyone and their mother is going to apply ED and I will be shut out of any monies. Wait and see, I suppose.

Ditto all this.

It doesn't seem like many non-TLS people know about it. I don't even see it mentioned on their website. So, I don't know that there will be a huge increase.

User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby elibrarian » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:10 am

Samara wrote:It doesn't seem like many non-TLS people know about it. I don't even see it mentioned on their website. So, I don't know that there will be a huge increase.


I do agree that not many non-TLS people know. In my interview, the admissions woman I spoke with said I was only the second person to know about the new scholarship which was encouraging, if only a little.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:05 am

elibrarian wrote:
Samara wrote:It doesn't seem like many non-TLS people know about it. I don't even see it mentioned on their website. So, I don't know that there will be a huge increase.


I do agree that not many non-TLS people know. In my interview, the admissions woman I spoke with said I was only the second person to know about the new scholarship which was encouraging, if only a little.

That's cool. I think it's weird though that they're keeping it on the down low. Especially because the people they want to target are unlikely to ED otherwise. *shrug* Better for us!

User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby elibrarian » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:38 am

I'm curious as to how many people NU can realistically accept ED. That scholarship is fairly large and looking at the ones they doled out last year, my guess would be no more than 10-20. Wonder if they got some large donation or such this year.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:41 am

It's tempting to withdraw my deferral and reapply ED! But it'd probably annoy Johann and I'd probably get dinged entirely and have nowhere to go to school next year.

I'm terrified that all the RD scholarship money is going to get sucked up by the new ED scholarships. I was hoping for anything at all, even like $10/yr or something. :(

User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby elibrarian » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:27 pm

On that note, anyone just get an e-mail advertising the new ED scholarship? Ughhhh

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:30 pm

elibrarian wrote:On that note, anyone just get an e-mail advertising the new ED scholarship? Ughhhh


Lol just got it too. Back on the fence...

User avatar
elibrarian
Posts: 336
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:49 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby elibrarian » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:32 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
elibrarian wrote:On that note, anyone just get an e-mail advertising the new ED scholarship? Ughhhh


Lol just got it too. Back on the fence...


From an entirely selfish point of view, no, no don't ED.

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Lear22 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:04 pm

off-campus interview set.
My interviewer is conducting the interviews at his office. What should I know about dress code? Tie and such? I think a suit is an overkill. What else is important to know about the off-campus interview? I googled my interviewer and I am pretty happy. Mid 80s alum, which means good things no? Or maybe he saw so many NU wanabes in his day to lose patience quickly?

any advise would be appreciated :-)

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:27 pm

Lear22 wrote:off-campus interview set.
My interviewer is conducting the interviews at his office. What should I know about dress code? Tie and such? I think a suit is an overkill. What else is important to know about the off-campus interview? I googled my interviewer and I am pretty happy. Mid 80s alum, which means good things no? Or maybe he saw so many NU wanabes in his day to lose patience quickly?

any advise would be appreciated :-)
Pretty sure Johann said on G+ that dress code for the interview is business professional (i.e. suit and tie). And in an office, DEFINITELY wear a suit.

sven
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:11 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby sven » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:35 pm

I saw on LSN that people with my numbers (3.9, 171) regularly received over $100k in scholarships from NW anyway. So I'm leaning towards not doing ED. But I'm wondering...does the creation of this new program mean that NW will be less generous with its merit grants?

User avatar
sanetruth
Posts: 358
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:26 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby sanetruth » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Lear22 wrote:off-campus interview set.
My interviewer is conducting the interviews at his office. What should I know about dress code? Tie and such? I think a suit is an overkill. What else is important to know about the off-campus interview? I googled my interviewer and I am pretty happy. Mid 80s alum, which means good things no? Or maybe he saw so many NU wanabes in his day to lose patience quickly?

any advise would be appreciated :-)
Pretty sure Johann said on G+ that dress code for the interview is business professional (i.e. suit and tie). And in an office, DEFINITELY wear a suit.


When i showed up to the office of my off-campus interviewer, he was in jeans and a t-shirt and said 'oh, i should have told you not to dress up'.

I think if the person you're interviewing with seems pretty down to earth, asking what his expectation of dress code is wouldn't be a totally bad idea.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby bdubs » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:54 pm

sven wrote:I saw on LSN that people with my numbers (3.9, 171) regularly received over $100k in scholarships from NW anyway. So I'm leaning towards not doing ED. But I'm wondering...does the creation of this new program mean that NW will be less generous with its merit grants?


Schools generally have a fixed pool of funds available, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are fewer $100k+ scholarships available for RD applicants next year.

The school can usually hit its medians by combining splitters anyway, which tends to be a lot cheaper.

User avatar
basilseal
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby basilseal » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:58 pm

Would someone mind messaging me the text of that email? I didn't get it, probably as I already applied.

lsatcrazy
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby lsatcrazy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Any point in applying with zero work experience? If 98% of the student body has work experience, it seems pointless...

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby bk1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:10 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Any point in applying with zero work experience? If 98% of the student body has work experience, it seems pointless...


If you have good numbers (generally above both medians).

lsatcrazy
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby lsatcrazy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:15 pm

bk1 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Any point in applying with zero work experience? If 98% of the student body has work experience, it seems pointless...


If you have good numbers (generally above both medians).


167/3.95 splitter :(, though I just retook...

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13624
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Flips88 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:16 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
bk1 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Any point in applying with zero work experience? If 98% of the student body has work experience, it seems pointless...


If you have good numbers (generally above both medians).


167/3.95 splitter :(, though I just retook...

Are you a college senior or a year out?

lsatcrazy
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby lsatcrazy » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Flips88 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:
bk1 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Any point in applying with zero work experience? If 98% of the student body has work experience, it seems pointless...


If you have good numbers (generally above both medians).


167/3.95 splitter :(, though I just retook...

Are you a college senior or a year out?


Senior.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15508
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:55 pm

elibrarian wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
elibrarian wrote:On that note, anyone just get an e-mail advertising the new ED scholarship? Ughhhh


Lol just got it too. Back on the fence...


From an entirely selfish point of view, no, no don't ED.


I'd take your numbers over mine any day.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:44 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
bk1 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Any point in applying with zero work experience? If 98% of the student body has work experience, it seems pointless...


If you have good numbers (generally above both medians).


167/3.95 splitter :(, though I just retook...

I've heard they will give offers to people with no WE on the condition that they defer for a year and get that WE, so it's probably worth a shot.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:20 pm

tweetsbyjohann wrote:TCR for not being able to do an IV is not "my IV skills suck".

Always hilarious.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13917
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Samara wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:
bk1 wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Any point in applying with zero work experience? If 98% of the student body has work experience, it seems pointless...


If you have good numbers (generally above both medians).


167/3.95 splitter :(, though I just retook...

I've heard they will give offers to people with no WE on the condition that they defer for a year and get that WE, so it's probably worth a shot.
Those people have typically had HYS-type numbers and got a full-ride along with that 1-year deferral.

I wonder if they're really making the push to get rid of that 2% without WE, and are trying to lure in some people with high numbers and WE with the new ED schoarship.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], The_Pluviophile and 7 guests