NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
elibrarian

Bronze

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Post by elibrarian » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:57 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Here's a list of their scholarship people from last year:

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.co ... 11&type=jd

Seems like for the most part they use money to lure median protectors (especially on the GPA side), although it's hard to figure out the exact process. I know RobotClubMember said he got 60K with a 171/3.6, and 60K seems to be what you'll get if you get anything at all.
That is kind of frightening. Now that I've jumped on the ED bandwagon I'm really hoping my numbers are enough.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:00 pm

NU gave out schollies to 32.9% of the class in 2009 (?). Of the T14, only GULC's percentage is lower. IIRC, however, their total scholly amount was more comparable, so yeah, they prefer fewer, larger schollies.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:33 pm

Samara wrote:NU gave out schollies to 32.9% of the class in 2009 (?). Of the T14, only GULC's percentage is lower. IIRC, however, their total scholly amount was more comparable, so yeah, they prefer fewer, larger schollies.
This isn't that surprising, given the fact that a lot of very low gpa people seem to ED there.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Had an off campus interview with an alumnus last week. He was really friendly and gave me some hope that I might have a chance at NU! It was conducted at a Starbucks and was really casual; he didn’t even take notes. I feel good about my numbers but my lack of post graduate work experience worries me. Still, the interview gave me a chance to talk about why I want to attend Northwestern since I didn’t write a “Why NU” essay.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:14 pm

AmandaPB wrote:Had an off campus interview with an alumnus last week. He was really friendly and gave me some hope that I might have a chance at NU! It was conducted at a Starbucks and was really casual; he didn’t even take notes. I feel good about my numbers but my lack of post graduate work experience worries me. Still, the interview gave me a chance to talk about why I want to attend Northwestern since I didn’t write a “Why NU” essay.
You may want to write a Why NU essay and update with it. NU likes all of the "optional" essays to be done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:15 pm

Opie wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:Had an off campus interview with an alumnus last week. He was really friendly and gave me some hope that I might have a chance at NU! It was conducted at a Starbucks and was really casual; he didn’t even take notes. I feel good about my numbers but my lack of post graduate work experience worries me. Still, the interview gave me a chance to talk about why I want to attend Northwestern since I didn’t write a “Why NU” essay.
You may want to write a Why NU essay and update with it. NU likes all of the "optional" essays to be done.
especially that one

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:48 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Opie wrote:
especially that one
Yeah, I believe it was basically said that it was a waste of time to apply and not write one and that optional essays aren't really optional.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:53 pm

Opie wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Opie wrote:You may want to write a Why NU essay and update with it. NU likes all of the "optional" essays to be done.
especially that one
Yeah, I believe it was basically said that it was a waste of time to apply and not write one and that optional essays aren't really optional.
More and more, I wonder why the hell they admitted me. (No interview, no optional essays, and definitely not HYS numbers.) :? DO NOT DO WHAT I DID! Write the essays!!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Opie wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Opie wrote:You may want to write a Why NU essay and update with it. NU likes all of the "optional" essays to be done.
especially that one
More and more, I wonder why the hell they admitted me. (No interview, no optional essays, and definitely not HYS numbers.) :? DO NOT DO WHAT I DID! Write the essays!!
Haha!! Way to give us all hope!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:10 am

Opie wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Opie wrote:
especially that one
Yeah, I might later. Thanks for the advice. I only wrote one “Why X” essay for my top school just because of my personal principles. I have an admit already but I will consider writing more “Why” essays later in the cycle.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:10 am

Just got status checker.

80eight

Bronze

Post by 80eight » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:16 am

Me too!

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:16 am

freestallion wrote:Just got status checker.
Jealous.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:28 pm

How long did it take?

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:33 pm

Opie wrote:
How long did it take?
I applied on 9/29, so about a week?
Although the status still says incomplete... even though everything is there. Weird.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:38 pm

Opie wrote:
How long did it take?
I checked my LSN and last year it took 5 days for NU to "receive" my app (I assume that's when I got the status checker.) I don't have a "complete" date listed, so I think the checker just went complete at some unknown date and I didn't get notification.

I'm excited for all you guys!! :D

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:39 pm

If i start filling out my app, can I switch between BED and non? Is there one app or two separate ones?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:43 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:If i start filling out my app, can I switch between BED and non? Is there one app or two separate ones?
Same application, there's just a page to indicate whether applying ED or not.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:48 pm

tmon wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:If i start filling out my app, can I switch between BED and non? Is there one app or two separate ones?
Did we confirm whether or not we could do ED online or if we had to mail/fax some ridic paper form too?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:51 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
tmon wrote:
Did we confirm whether or not we could do ED online or if we had to mail/fax some ridic paper form too?
From the online app:
Please note that applying early decision requires an on-campus interview by November 15 and the Early Decision Certification form located in the "Forms" section. Early Decision applications must be completed and received in the Admissions Office by December 1. Decisions will be rendered by the end of the calendar year. Please see Application Instructions for further information.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:23 pm

New G+ from Johann!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:09 pm

Still deciding whether or not to to ED. How did you guys make a decision?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:22 pm

emkay625 wrote:Still deciding whether or not to to ED. How did you guys make a decision?
Are there any other schools you would rather go to? If so, how much more would you want to go there? Weigh that increased desire against the boost for an ED app and the money NU would give you minus the chance for money at the other school.

For me, NU is a reach and it's the best school I'm applying to. It's a no-brainer to ED. If you think you have a chance to get into HYSCCN, and you would want to go there, I probably wouldn't ED. If you have a good chance at MVP with $, I might not ED if I liked those schools better.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:19 am

emkay625 wrote:Still deciding whether or not to to ED. How did you guys make a decision?
The only thing I would even consider against NU ED is Chicago with 50K+. I probably wouldn't get Chicago without ED (sticker), so I'm almost 99.99% sure that I'm doing it

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:49 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
The only thing I would even consider against NU ED is Chicago with 50K+. I probably wouldn't get Chicago without ED (sticker), so I'm almost 99.99% sure that I'm doing it
I think I'm going to do it too. There's little to no chance (who are we kidding, just no) chance I'm getting in anywhere higher, and Northwestern is still a long shot. I feel like I need the ED boost, but also feel like there's no way in heck I'm getting ED given the new ED scholarship.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”