NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nids333

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Postby nids333 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:26 pm

Does Northwestern want a LOR from someone who can evaluate your work experience? It seems like the instructions want this. I wish I read this before!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:18 pm

Welp, I no longer have access to the admitted student site. Presumably it's down/inaccessible until they start rolling out admits for this cycle. (Also presumably, I'll get access as soon as it's back up!)

If anyone wants to see the admitted student "binder" (which was only distributed in electronic format), I do still have that saved.

nids333

Postby nids333 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:21 pm

Opie wrote:
NU app wrote:One letter of recommendation is required as part of the admissions process. The letter should be completed by someone who can evaluate your professional work-related performance (current or former supervisor, clients or co-worker).

So, am I reading this right that a NON-academic LOR is required?

Does anyone know the final answer to this? I think most people have requested LOR from academic sources, so this might be a pain. I want to figure it out soon and ask an employer if this is the case.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:31 am

nids333 wrote:
Opie wrote:
NU app wrote:One letter of recommendation is required as part of the admissions process. The letter should be completed by someone who can evaluate your professional work-related performance (current or former supervisor, clients or co-worker).

So, am I reading this right that a NON-academic LOR is required?

Does anyone know the final answer to this? I think most people have requested LOR from academic sources, so this might be a pain. I want to figure it out soon and ask an employer if this is the case.

You guys need to be reading Johann's google plus page.

Johann Lee wrote:When considering LOR, I want to know about the person I an admitting now, rather than, two or more years ago. If you are currently employed, that would mean a work related letter. If you can't get your supervisor to write, then a colleague that knows your work product is perfectly fine. If you are currently in school, an academic letter or summer internship rec are perfectly fine.

Go there and read the rest of it. Now. All of you. That's what it's there for.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:30 am

should I schedule an interview?

I am about to take the Dec LSAT, with hopes to score in the high 160s low 170s. I am an older undergrad (30yo) ESL and finishing a double BA with dept honors (major GPA 3.6 LSDAS GPA 3.3. I have many 'softs' going for me (older student with about 6-7 prior WE, immigrant, army [non-US] experience and so on.

I am now wondering if it's worth it to take a flight from Seattle to Chicago, and if so - when. Should I wait until I get my Dec LSAT score and only than schedule? or is that too late, and it's better to have my interview before the score gets to the them?

any advice will help.

thanks!

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:56 am

Lear22 wrote:should I schedule an interview?

I am about to take the Dec LSAT, with hopes to score in the high 160s low 170s. I am an older undergrad (30yo) ESL and finishing a double BA with dept honors (major GPA 3.6 LSDAS GPA 3.3. I have many 'softs' going for me (older student with about 6-7 prior WE, immigrant, army [non-US] experience and so on.

I am now wondering if it's worth it to take a flight from Seattle to Chicago, and if so - when. Should I wait until I get my Dec LSAT score and only than schedule? or is that too late, and it's better to have my interview before the score gets to the them?

any advice will help.

thanks!

I would recommend interviewing, and I would schedule it now and not wait until the December LSAT that way when you get the score all you need to do is submit. I scheduled an interview last year and cancelled when I got my October score, then wished I had interviewed when I got my December score.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:08 am

Lear22 wrote:should I schedule an interview?

any advice will help.

thanks!
I would recommend interviewing. Have you looked to see if any off-campus interviews are happening in Seattle (or even Portland)? You don't necessarily need to go to Chicago.

aes6b

Postby aes6b » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:12 am

Hello! It looks as though I'll be jumping on the BED bandwagon with most of you folks, but I have a quick question...

I already completed an off-campus interview (before I found out about the scholarship), but I'm definitely switching my app to ED. Should I just stick with the off-campus interview or should I do one on-campus as well?
Are they really weighted that differently??

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:24 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Have you looked to see if any off-campus interviews are happening in Seattle (or even Portland)? You don't necessarily need to go to Chicago.

There are - I actually have my off-campus interview with an alum in Seattle today. It sounds like most people here are interviewing on-campus, but if anyone is interested I'm happy to recap my interview later this afternoon.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:35 am

Although if you do binding ED you are REQUIRED to do an on-campus interview OR off-campus interview w/ adcomms.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:36 am

rinkrat19: thank you for your advice! I did not know it is possible.

my question is this now though: is there any advantage or disadvantage for an off-campus interview with versus going to interview in Chicago with an admissions committee member? or do alumni conduct those interviews as well?

I dont know why, but for some reason the more I research the T14 the more I see NU as a good choice for me. Duke was and still is my #1 choice, but reading here and in NU website makes me realize it is a great place for older students.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:51 am

Lear22 wrote:rinkrat19: thank you for your advice! I did not know it is possible.

my question is this now though: is there any advantage or disadvantage for an off-campus interview with versus going to interview in Chicago with an admissions committee member? or do alumni conduct those interviews as well?

I dont know why, but for some reason the more I research the T14 the more I see NU as a good choice for me. Duke was and still is my #1 choice, but reading here and in NU website makes me realize it is a great place for older students.
They do rank on- and off-campus interviews with admissions staff more heavily than an off-campus interview with an alumnus. And I believe a staff interview is required if you want to apply ED. But for regular decision, they say that any interview is considered equally.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:01 pm

aes6b wrote:Hello! It looks as though I'll be jumping on the BED bandwagon with most of you folks, but I have a quick question...

I already completed an off-campus interview (before I found out about the scholarship), but I'm definitely switching my app to ED. Should I just stick with the off-campus interview or should I do one on-campus as well?
Are they really weighted that differently??

You'll have to contact the admissions staff. They said that people who already did off-campus interviews with interviewers who are not part of the admissions staff would be considered on a case by case basis if their app is switched to ED.

I'd also love to know your numbers if you'd be willing to post them. PMs also accepted!

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:07 pm

so is there an advantage to spend the money and flying to Chicago?

thanks!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:15 pm

Lear22 wrote:so is there an advantage to spend the money and flying to Chicago?

thanks!
Are you applying ED? If so, you need to interview with an admissions staffer, either on- or off-campus. They say it doesn't matter which.

If you're applying RD, they say it doesn't matter what kind of interview you do. OTOH, if you go to campus, you'd probably also be able to tour campus, talk to students, see Chicago, etc.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:33 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I'd also love to know your numbers if you'd be willing to post them. PMs also accepted!

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:33 pm

oops double post o_o
Last edited by crumpetsandtea on Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:55 pm

not replying ED. taking the dec LSAT

I am also wondering to myself if the schools visit these forums

aes6b

Postby aes6b » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:36 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:I'd also love to know your numbers if you'd be willing to post them. PMs also accepted!

I don't want to call myself out too much just in case adcomms are lurking around here (yes, I'm always this paranoid :) ) but...

LSAT > 25% (right below median)
GPA < 25% (3.x)
Also, URM AA female with 2 yrs. WE

I feel like the go-to advice for URM splitters is to apply everywhere, but NU has always been one of my top choices and the BED full tuition scholarship makes it a no brainer for me to apply...now if only they'd let me in!

elibrarian

Postby elibrarian » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:42 pm

Has anyone who applied recently received their status checker and/or email confirming receipt of application? Acknowledge me NU!

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:59 pm

aes6b wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

I don't want to call myself out too much just in case adcomms are lurking around here (yes, I'm always this paranoid :) ) but...

LSAT > 25% (right below median)
GPA < 25% (3.x)
Also, URM AA female with 2 yrs. WE

I feel like the go-to advice for URM splitters is to apply everywhere, but NU has always been one of my top choices and the BED full tuition scholarship makes it a no brainer for me to apply...now if only they'd let me in!

Well the AA female part throws a wrench in things. Those are pretty strong numbers though, so I'd expect you to be in good shape. Good luck!

rowingmyboat

Postby rowingmyboat » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Had an off-campus interview with an alumni. It was relaxed and conversational so there weren't a lot of direct questions. However, I was asked where I saw myself in ten years. He was a very proud alumni so we spent a lot of time just agreeing that NU is great. I got the sense from him that interviews are to weed out the crazies more than to boost one's application.

Particulars for the neurotic: I wore a suit, he was in business casual and I felt properly dressed even though it was at a casual restaurant. He picked up the check, I offered to split, he insisted. I sent a follow up thank you email.

aes6b

Postby aes6b » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:29 pm

GOOD LUCK to all you guys as well!

80eight

Postby 80eight » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:50 am

elibrarian wrote:Has anyone who applied recently received their status checker and/or email confirming receipt of application? Acknowledge me NU!

I applied a few days ago and haven't gotten any emails yet.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:25 am

rowingmyboat wrote:Had an off-campus interview with an alumni. It was relaxed and conversational so there weren't a lot of direct questions. However, I was asked where I saw myself in ten years. He was a very proud alumni so we spent a lot of time just agreeing that NU is great. I got the sense from him that interviews are to weed out the crazies more than to boost one's application.

Particulars for the neurotic: I wore a suit, he was in business casual and I felt properly dressed even though it was at a casual restaurant. He picked up the check, I offered to split, he insisted. I sent a follow up thank you email.

Part of me really wishes I was doing an off-campus interview.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”