NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
seanPtheB

Bronze

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Post by seanPtheB » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:09 pm

seanPtheB wrote:
tmon wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:Hey guys, sorry haven't read through the whole thread, but is it definitely a better idea to try and do an on campus interview rather than an off campus one? It seems like everyone is doin on campus, and I'm just kind of curious as to why.
Seems like they might slightly prefer them to be on campus, but not in a make-or-break kind of way. The main evidence here is that if you ED, you can't do an off campus interview unless it's with staff I think. Seems like they want you do an on campus unless circumstances really don't allow you to do otherwise. I could be very off, so if anyone disagrees or has more solid information feel free to correct me :)
Cool thanks tmon. That sounds like it makes sense. Guess it looks like I'll be makin a trip up to Chicago, and might as well look at UChicago while I'm there.
Well that thought was shortlived lol. Just had a long convo with the bro who's a 2L at a t20 and I think my app strategy is gonna leave out Northwestern. I have 0 really relevant work experience and so it's just kind of pointless, when I don't have any specific love for Chicago or the Midwest.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Opie wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:
tmon wrote:
seanPtheB wrote:Hey guys, sorry haven't read through the whole thread, but is it definitely a better idea to try and do an on campus interview rather than an off campus one? It seems like everyone is doin on campus, and I'm just kind of curious as to why.
Seems like they might slightly prefer them to be on campus, but not in a make-or-break kind of way. The main evidence here is that if you ED, you can't do an off campus interview unless it's with staff I think. Seems like they want you do an on campus unless circumstances really don't allow you to do otherwise. I could be very off, so if anyone disagrees or has more solid information feel free to correct me :)
Cool thanks tmon. That sounds like it makes sense. Guess it looks like I'll be makin a trip up to Chicago, and might as well look at UChicago while I'm there.
For me it's that I'm applying ED and there aren't any staff interviews near me, and I haven't been to the campus and I want to see it. Plus I want to check out bus lines from home to campus too.
Maybe some of you young'uns will be lucky and get me as your tour guide ;-)

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:15 pm

I was told in email and over the phone that off campus with staff would be considered the same as on-campus. I'll take their word for it.

Although, in my Stone Cold Steve Austin persona, I have to remind you to "TRUST NO ONE."

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote: Maybe some of you young'uns will be lucky and get me as your tour guide ;-)
Can everyone just wear little buttons with their TLS names on them for the next few months?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Parents bought me a suit from Express as a bday present. Getting some brown wingtips and I'll be set.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:38 pm

I'm staying optimistic as much as possible, but say my LSAT doesn't come in at 17X. If I retake in December am I screwed for NU or is it really not a huge difference? The more I consider settling for other schools the less I'm satisfied with those options, and considering how NU accepts splitters it's probably my best chance. I don't want to be NU or bust but law school debt ITE scares me without t14 placement rates. Any thoughts on later applicants?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:54 pm

tmon wrote:I'm staying optimistic as much as possible, but say my LSAT doesn't come in at 17X. If I retake in December am I screwed for NU or is it really not a huge difference? The more I consider settling for other schools the less I'm satisfied with those options, and considering how NU accepts splitters it's probably my best chance. I don't want to be NU or bust but law school debt ITE scares me without t14 placement rates. Any thoughts on later applicants?
It won't kill you. It's not ideal, but with a 172 or so, you should be fine. I wish I hadn't taken February and still had the retake option

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:16 pm

Submitted ED! Any consensus on how to send in the ED contract? I figured I'd fax it over and send the original as well, just to be safe.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:17 pm

elibrarian wrote:Submitted ED! Any consensus on how to send in the ED contract? I figured I'd fax it over and send the original as well, just to be safe.
I thought the contract could be submitted online by clicking a box and refilling certain biographical data?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:19 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
elibrarian wrote:Submitted ED! Any consensus on how to send in the ED contract? I figured I'd fax it over and send the original as well, just to be safe.
I thought the contract could be submitted online by clicking a box and refilling certain biographical data?
Hmm, I don't think so. The contact specifically states, "If applying electronically, print out this form. It will not be electronically transmitted."

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:20 pm

elibrarian wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Hmm, I don't think so. The contact specifically states, "If applying electronically, print out this form. It will not be electronically transmitted."
I guess there's is different than some of the others I've seen

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:28 pm

tmon wrote:I'm staying optimistic as much as possible, but say my LSAT doesn't come in at 17X. If I retake in December am I screwed for NU or is it really not a huge difference? The more I consider settling for other schools the less I'm satisfied with those options, and considering how NU accepts splitters it's probably my best chance. I don't want to be NU or bust but law school debt ITE scares me without t14 placement rates. Any thoughts on later applicants?
I was a December retake and almost didn't apply because I figured it would be too late. Granted, I was held, then WL'd, but I got in. My guess is a 172+ is on the money for what you'd need.

Also, NU is great, I am really happy here and most people I've talked to are, too. Good atmosphere, not a cut throat attitude, and Chicago is awesome. Probably the best decision I've made, though I'm still a bright eyed and bushy tailed 1L, we'll see how things are after exams.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Icculus wrote:
I was a December retake and almost didn't apply because I figured it would be too late. Granted, I was held, then WL'd, but I got in. My guess is a 172+ is on the money for what you'd need.

Also, NU is great, I am really happy here and most people I've talked to are, too. Good atmosphere, not a cut throat attitude, and Chicago is awesome. Probably the best decision I've made, though I'm still a bright eyed and bushy tailed 1L, we'll see how things are after exams.
want. so. badly

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:32 pm

Icculus wrote:

Completely credited. IIRC, your GPA is just a smidge lower than what mine was. I applied in January w/ a 171, was held (NOT WL'd) and then accepted in early April, I believe. I also didn't do the interview but I did do all of the "hold essays" to prove that NU really was a top choice for me. A December app will not necessarily break you at NU. Good luck tmon!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:35 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Completely credited. IIRC, your GPA is just a smidge lower than what mine was. I applied in January w/ a 171, was held (NOT WL'd) and then accepted in early April, I believe. I also didn't do the interview but I did do all of the "hold essays" to prove that NU really was a top choice for me. A December app will not necessarily break you at NU. Good luck tmon!
My GPA was a 2.79 (couldn't even get a fucking 2.8 ), and I didn't do any of the optional essays when I first applied. I think if I had, and interviewed maybe I could have avoided the WL, but as soon as I was held I did every damn essay they had. I even withdrew my deposit from WUSTL - that was a bit crazy but I decided at the point it was NU or bust; figured I'd just wait another year.

Edit: descartes - that's is one of the best screen names I've seen.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Thanks guys :)
Mulling over whether to study while I wait for the score or not. Also, there's the LSAT registration issue. I only had to guess on two questions on games and for all I know the other questions could've been fine, so I can't definitely count myself out of a 17X...just seems probable. The more I've thought about things the more I realize I don't want to settle for schools I'm not really targeting. So maybe I'll try to work some motivation up this week :?

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:25 pm

I called, and they told me to fax it in. You can snail mail it or even sign it, scan it, and email it if you want.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:43 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote: Maybe some of you young'uns will be lucky and get me as your tour guide ;-)
Is there a way to ensure this? I'm not much of a young'un (29), but would love to have you as a guide!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 am

Opie wrote:
Is there a way to ensure this? I'm not much of a young'un (29), but would love to have you as a guide!
If it's a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, probably. PM me your details, and I'll see what I can do.

At the very least, I'm happy to meet y'all for a quick coffee on campus or something if I'm not in class. I'm at the school pretty much 8-5 during the week.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:36 am

basilseal wrote:
I called, and they told me to fax it in. You can snail mail it or even sign it, scan it, and email it if you want.
Great, thank you.

Ginj

Silver

Post by Ginj » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:40 am

I had a dream that I got into NU with stats way below par.

That was mean, brain.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:57 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Opie wrote:
If it's a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday, probably. PM me your details, and I'll see what I can do.

At the very least, I'm happy to meet y'all for a quick coffee on campus or something if I'm not in class. I'm at the school pretty much 8-5 during the week.
I'm not a tour guide, but I'd be happy to meet anyone as well, though I don't know how helpful I'd be.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:36 am

Icculus wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Opie wrote:

I'm not a tour guide, but I'd be happy to meet anyone as well, though I don't know how helpful I'd be.
Wait, we have to be helpful? ;-)

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:40 am

For those of you who have submitted applications already, how long did it take to receive a status checker email? Took a quick look in last years thread and didn't see any info on this.

EDIT: Last year seems it took about 2-3 days.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:54 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Icculus wrote: I'm not a tour guide, but I'd be happy to meet anyone as well, though I don't know how helpful I'd be.
Wait, we have to be helpful? ;-)
You at least know the tour, I still get lost around here once a week, usually when I leave Rubloff. Navigation was never my strong suit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”