NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bumi

Silver

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Post by Bumi » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Samara wrote: --ImageRemoved--
I have one of those things. That's definitely not a "long down coat" though (which like every girl I meet up here swears by). I guarantee that dude is colder than the girl I posted when it's sleeting sideways. Where's the furry hood?!

It's okay. I'll muddle through somehow. Sorry to distract the admits from how great NU is.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Amateurs. Check out this picture taken INSIDE the snow fort. The passage in the back is a chimney/escape hatch in case the room collapses.

Welcome to the Midwest.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:21 pm

I definitely built something very similar as a child XD

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:40 pm

These pictures are making me feel like a pansy midwesterner. :oops:

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:46 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Amateurs. Check out this picture taken INSIDE the snow fort. The passage in the back is a chimney/escape hatch in case the room collapses.

[img]jpg[/img]

Welcome to the Midwest.
Unless that was your home for two days, I win.
tmon wrote:I....don't even know if that's me or not. It's 50/50 because the third guy on the trip was like a foot taller than this. We fit five people in there and it was warmer than the cabin with a wood stove we slept in the night before. Way more fun than I imagined winter camping would be.
haha yea mine was a backpacking trip so it was a bit...uncomfortable at times. Girl+having to pee+ blizzard = frozen ass

Setting pack down for two seconds = frozen over. But overall it was a fun trip.
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:14 pm

I'd like to begin by saying that you are all freaks of nature for camping out when it's snowing outside (not really...but kinda really. o_o)
UnamSanctam wrote:when the thermometer hits 50 degrees for the first time of the year
^This is our 'it is now bitterly cold and you can complain as much as you'd like and possibly skip class and curl up in your blankets and drink warm tea' weather temp.
Samara wrote:Men's clothing stuffs
I definitely thought you were a female till just now. XD oops, sorry.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:18 pm

Bumi wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote:Long down coats FTW.
Sure, if you're a woman. I have been searching the internet all morning and can't find men's down jackets that cover my, uh, more sensitive region by more than an inch. Meanwhile, women get this:

I am super jealous that I am not pretty enough to pull that off.

(Thanks, airbending fans. I'm an old, but at least I know what the kids are into.)
Plenty of men's snowboarding jackets are long enough to cover your butt. I know I have two (I buy both men's and women's coats) and my dad has two. Snowboarding jackets are usually longer because we spend a lot of time tumbling ass-over-teakettle in powder and getting snow up the back of your shirt really blows.
http://www.burton.com/mens-snowboard-ja ... lt,sc.html

Revolver066

Bronze

Post by Revolver066 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:19 pm

Quick question: So I know about NU WE requirements. I've been working for the past year, but only part-time (think 25-35 hours a week), along with volunteering. Do I basically have no shot?

(URM splitter FWIW)

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:28 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:Men's clothing stuffs
I definitely thought you were a female till just now. XD oops, sorry.
Haha, s'all right. My username is an architectural reference. When I was first lurking here unregistered, I read a thread about adcomms lurking and recognizing applicants from their poasts, so I figured having a girl-sounding name with a secret reference would be an added layer of protection to skimming lurkers. Of course, if NU adcomms are lurking this thread, I've likely outed myself to them. :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:43 pm

Eichörnchen wrote: Setting pack down for two seconds = frozen over. But overall it was a fun trip.
Yeah, I basically just decided to go winter camping with some people a few years ago before really knowing what that would entail. When we ended up north of MI on the shore of Lake Superior on the coldest night of the year in 30mph wind it got kinda real. This sorta almost sounds like the start of a cheesy PS :roll: . But yeah, at one point I took ONE GLOVE off for like 30 seconds to take a little video of the setting and couldn't feel my fingers for like 10 minutes. Crazy stuff.

People not used to warm climates: be glad you're not applying somewhere in Canada. Holy wah.

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:51 pm

tmon wrote:
Eichörnchen wrote: Setting pack down for two seconds = frozen over. But overall it was a fun trip.
Yeah, I basically just decided to go winter camping with some people a few years ago before really knowing what that would entail. When we ended up north of MI on the shore of Lake Superior on the coldest night of the year in 30mph wind it got kinda real. This sorta almost sounds like the start of a cheesy PS :roll: . But yeah, at one point I took ONE GLOVE off for like 30 seconds to take a little video of the setting and couldn't feel my fingers for like 10 minutes. Crazy stuff.

People not used to warm climates: be glad you're not applying somewhere in Canada. Holy wah.
Yep. We were on the shore of MI which makes for some wicked winds. My tent was shivering and shaking as well. And I know what you mean about when it's so cold everything just goes numb. When I went to "the bathroom" (trees) I had the hardest time getting my base layers and shell pants all straightened back up properly cause I couldn't feel a thing. :lol: Luckily NU lets you sleep indoors, so to the other applicants - it'll be OK. ;)

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Eichörnchen wrote:
tmon wrote:

Yep. We were on the shore of MI which makes for some wicked winds. My tent was shivering and shaking as well. And I know what you mean about when it's so cold everything just goes numb. When I went to "the bathroom" (trees) I had the hardest time getting my base layers and shell pants all straightened back up properly cause I couldn't feel a thing. :lol: Luckily NU lets you sleep indoors, so to the other applicants - it'll be OK. ;)
Exposing your tender parts to the wind is a bad idea. Imagine how the homeless in Chicago feel during winter.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:22 pm

Revolver066 wrote:Quick question: So I know about NU WE requirements. I've been working for the past year, but only part-time (think 25-35 hours a week), along with volunteering. Do I basically have no shot?

(URM splitter FWIW)
Hm. I'm not sure to be honest. Are you thinking about EDing? What are your stats?
Samara wrote:Haha, s'all right. My username is an architectural reference. When I was first lurking here unregistered, I read a thread about adcomms lurking and recognizing applicants from their poasts, so I figured having a girl-sounding name with a secret reference would be an added layer of protection to skimming lurkers. Of course, if NU adcomms are lurking this thread, I've likely outed myself to them. :shock:
AND they know what one of your jackets kind of might look like now!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're fucked.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:38 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:Haha, s'all right. My username is an architectural reference. When I was first lurking here unregistered, I read a thread about adcomms lurking and recognizing applicants from their poasts, so I figured having a girl-sounding name with a secret reference would be an added layer of protection to skimming lurkers. Of course, if NU adcomms are lurking this thread, I've likely outed myself to them. :shock:
AND they know what one of your jackets kind of might look like now!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're fucked.
:lol: Crumps you're the best <3 If I were a lurking adcomm, I'd auto-admit.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:24 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Revolver066 wrote:Quick question: So I know about NU WE requirements. I've been working for the past year, but only part-time (think 25-35 hours a week), along with volunteering. Do I basically have no shot?

(URM splitter FWIW)
Hm. I'm not sure to be honest. Are you thinking about EDing? What are your stats?
Hahaha, good thing I'm interviewing next month before it gets cold, phew!!

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:04 pm

I'll miss you guys the most =(

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:06 pm

We're gonna miss you too Dorothy

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:07 pm

I've never experienced a Chicago winter before, and it's starting to make me a little nervous the way people talk about it. My hardy Colorado genes have me wearing shorts in below-freezing temperatures sometimes, but it's the wind that gets me.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:11 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I've never experienced a Chicago winter before, and it's starting to make me a little nervous the way people talk about it. My hardy Colorado genes have me wearing shorts in below-freezing temperatures sometimes, but it's the wind that gets me.
I haven't experienced one yet either, but I'm confident I'll be fine, and I'm not even from Colorado (although I did live there for a year). The people who are going to suffer are the ones from places where "cold" is 60°, a "jacket" is a cotton windbreaker, and "layering" is wearing a tank top over a bikini top. They will quickly learn about polarfleece, wool and gore-tex.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:I've never experienced a Chicago winter before, and it's starting to make me a little nervous the way people talk about it. My hardy Colorado genes have me wearing shorts in below-freezing temperatures sometimes, but it's the wind that gets me.
We have a wet type of cold in the midwest that is very different than the Colorado type of cold. You should be OK since your not from SoCal, but it is a bit different nonetheless.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:23 pm

I can layer like a mofo. It's a skill I learned this past winter when my coat zipper broke and wouldn't zip up, and I was too lazy to replace it for the whole winter :oops:

But now I've got a legit coat.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:27 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:I'll miss you guys the most =(
Wait what? Where are you going? ):
Samara wrote:Hahaha, good thing I'm interviewing next month before it gets cold, phew!!
XD!!!

Wait, how cold is it in October? I'm guessing it's not in the 70s-80s like here...? Do I need to bring cold weather clothes when I do my interview?

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:28 pm

Chicago winter IS pretty bad, but on the up side you get used to it after 2 years :D
And after that you can live anywhere.

But I remember looking at the temperature during the winter and EVERY time it was warmer in Alaska :shock:
The worst part is just that you end up having no social life when it's that cold out. But, on the plus side, you have nothing better to do than study => no distractions :P

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:29 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:Hahaha, good thing I'm interviewing next month before it gets cold, phew!!
XD!!!

Wait, how cold is it in October? I'm guessing it's not in the 70s-80s like here...? Do I need to bring cold weather clothes when I do my interview?
October: Chicago average temps
High / Low
60°F / 44°F

-- So in the 50s probably :D

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:30 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
XD!!!

Chicago Oct is 50s and windy

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”