NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Northwestern c/o 2015 Applicants (2011-2012 cycle)

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:09 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I'm waiting to write too much in terms of essays until after Oct 1, but:
Is expressing interest in the Chicago market sufficient for a why NU statement? or do I need something more specific?
To qualify this response: I'm not an expert by any means (you know this already though XD). With that said, I think it's a good reason but you should probably add more. Mention if you've visited the campus, specific programs you might be interested in, etc. If you're interested in Chi, why not UofChi? What makes =NU= your school of choice?
rinkrat19 wrote:8) Mostly I'm just excited for this next cycle to get underway so I can meet (on the internet, that is) MY potential future classmates and stop being jealous of the c/o2014, with whom I applied and went to ASW.
Yeah it must be crazy hard to know you're in and have to wait a whole year. At least you know for sure though! /jelly
when are you visiting/interviewing?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:12 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:when are you visiting/interviewing?
I visited this March during their Spring Break, and will be returning for an interview probably in mid-to-late October. I kinda wanted to get it over with really early so I could get my app in, but I don't think I would want to interview before I've even taken the October test (plus I need all the weekends I can get for PTing)

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:14 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
I visited this March during their Spring Break, and will be returning for an interview probably in mid-to-late October. I kinda wanted to get it over with really early so I could get my app in, but I don't think I would want to interview before I've even taken the October test (plus I need all the weekends I can get for PTing)
I need to set mine up. My family's visiting Chicago for the marathon the weekend after the LSAT, so I might try to set it up for then (if there's space). I really feel awkward doing the interview before knowing that I have a score they won't laugh at

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:18 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
I need to set mine up. My family's visiting Chicago for the marathon the weekend after the LSAT, so I might try to set it up for then (if there's space). I really feel awkward doing the interview before knowing that I have a score they won't laugh at
The interview is "independent" of your application though. I'm taking the LSAT this October but doing my interview in September. They told me it's just based on your resume. Which makes it sound more like a job interview.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
The interview is "independent" of your application though. I'm taking the LSAT this October but doing my interview in September. They told me it's just based on your resume. Which makes it sound more like a job interview.
How much info/paperwork are we supposed to bring to the interview... I can probably find it online somewhere :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:20 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I need to set mine up. My family's visiting Chicago for the marathon the weekend after the LSAT, so I might try to set it up for then (if there's space). I really feel awkward doing the interview before knowing that I have a score they won't laugh at
Oooh I'm considering visiting the weekend after the LSAT too!! And IDK, I'm terrified I'll get a 169 again and then show up to the interview heartbroken and depressed. I need to set mine up, I still haven't talked to my dad (he's paying for the tickets) about booking anything yet. I'm also considering the 22nd-25th ish too, because that's when UChi has their fall break (and I want to meet up with the SF-ers :oops: )

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Going to try for an off-campus interview; I've already spent enough time on campus! (It's BEAUTIFUL. Right next to Lake Michigan. I love the view).

Edit: Does anyone know... if we request an interview this early, will our interviews be scheduled really soon...?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:33 pm

JamMasterJ wrote: How much info/paperwork are we supposed to bring to the interview... I can probably find it online somewhere :oops:
Just your resume and LSAC#. I assume you fill out some paperwork when you get there. Since I'm taking one of the first spots, I can be the TLS guinea pig.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote: How much info/paperwork are we supposed to bring to the interview... I can probably find it online somewhere :oops:
Just your resume and LSAC#. I assume you fill out some paperwork when you get there. Since I'm taking one of the first spots, I can be the TLS guinea pig.
Let us know how it goes. I'm scared!!! :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:36 pm

freestallion wrote:
Samara wrote:
Let us know how it goes. I'm scared!!! :oops:
Most definitely. From what I hear, it's pretty straightforward. I'm curious to find out who "Interviewer1" is. Probably not one of the 2Ls this early on.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Samara wrote:
Ooooh, excited to hear what you have to say. Just as reference (will add to OP) here is a list of Qs that Dany sent me last year after her interview:
Dany wrote:-What is your least favorite thing about your undergraduate coursework?
-What is the biggest/most important document you have written?
-What is the most difficult decision you have made?
-What is the most significant project you have managed?
-Tell me about the worst boss you have worked for and how you resolved issues.
-How would your professors describe you?
-Why NU?
-Why law school?
-Have you been to Chicago during the winter?

Some other questions I have heard from the interviews thread (apparently also from the list):
-Why did you choose your undergrad school?
-What would you change about your undergrad experience if you could?
-How will you define success in your career?
-How do you deal with conflict?
-Tell me about your most significant experience speaking in front of other people.
-What would you do if you didn't get into any law schools?
-If you were accepted to all of the schools how would you decide where to go?
-What was your favorite class? What was you most difficult class?
-What do you do for fun?
-What kinds of extracurricular activities were you involved in?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Can we just have TLSers interview all the TLSers?
Last edited by JamMasterJ on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:43 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:
Ooooh, excited to hear what you have to say. Just as reference (will add to OP) here is a list of Qs that Dany sent me last year after her interview:
Dany wrote:-What is your least favorite thing about your undergraduate coursework?
-What is the biggest/most important document you have written?
-What is the most difficult decision you have made?
-What is the most significant project you have managed?
-Tell me about the worst boss you have worked for and how you resolved issues.
-How would your professors describe you?
-Why NU?
-Why law school?
-Have you been to Chicago during the winter?

Some other questions I have heard from the interviews thread (apparently also from the list):
-Why did you choose your undergrad school?
-What would you change about your undergrad experience if you could?
-How will you define success in your career?
-How do you deal with conflict?
-Tell me about your most significant experience speaking in front of other people.
-What would you do if you didn't get into any law schools?
-If you were accepted to all of the schools how would you decide where to go?
-What was your favorite class? What was you most difficult class?
-What do you do for fun?
-What kinds of extracurricular activities were you involved in?
Nice add, thanks! I think my favorite is: "Have you been to Chicago during the winter?" Yes I have NU, I've suffered through midwestern winters my entire life so I'm well aware of how much they blow. Why do the California schools all have to be so GPA-centric!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:45 pm

I am pumped. Debating whether or not to ED.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Any JD/MBA applicants can PM me with questions about the specifics of that application.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:49 pm

emkay625 wrote:I am pumped. Debating whether or not to ED.
Yeah, with your numbers and WE, it definitely looks to be your best shot at T14. Is the debt holding you back?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:53 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Can we just have TLSers interview all the TLSers?
OMG srsly!!! Want.
Samara wrote:Nice add, thanks! I think my favorite is: "Have you been to Chicago during the winter?" Yes I have NU, I've suffered through midwestern winters my entire life so I'm well aware of how much they blow. Why do the California schools all have to be so GPA-centric!!
Hahaha yeah, as a California resident, this makes me terribly sad as well. Though I did laugh when I saw the question listed. XD

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:02 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Can we just have TLSers interview all the TLSers?
OMG srsly!!! Want.
Samara wrote:Nice add, thanks! I think my favorite is: "Have you been to Chicago during the winter?" Yes I have NU, I've suffered through midwestern winters my entire life so I'm well aware of how much they blow. Why do the California schools all have to be so GPA-centric!!
Hahaha yeah, as a California resident, this makes me terribly sad as well. Though I did laugh when I saw the question listed. XD
Quite funny. Since I spent UG in Chicago, I can answer this question very well :D Maybe, too well...

Definitely wishing there were more t14 california schools considering Boalt is a crapshoot and Stanford is impossible to get into! *sigh*

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:09 pm

freestallion wrote:Definitely wishing there were more t14 california schools considering Boalt is a crapshoot and Stanford is impossible to get into! *sigh*
Well, if you want CA after grad, the lower ranked CA schools (UCLA and USC) are good too. Less mobility than Boalt and Stanford though, if you're planning on leaving California after LS.

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:10 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
freestallion wrote:Definitely wishing there were more t14 california schools considering Boalt is a crapshoot and Stanford is impossible to get into! *sigh*
Well, if you want CA after grad, the lower ranked CA schools (UCLA and USC) are good too. Less mobility than Boalt and Stanford though, if you're planning on leaving California after LS.
I don't think I want to stay in CA after grad, so maybe an east coast/midwest school would be better after all...living in CA is just so appealing, though!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:19 pm

freestallion wrote:I don't think I want to stay in CA after grad, so maybe an east coast/midwest school would be better after all...living in CA is just so appealing, though!
:lol: Trust me, once you move here you won't want to leave.

/hugecaliforniatroll

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:20 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
freestallion wrote:I don't think I want to stay in CA after grad, so maybe an east coast/midwest school would be better after all...living in CA is just so appealing, though!

/hugecaliforniatroll
:D I believe that. My SO is there right now so I may very well end up there.... forever!!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:21 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

/hugecaliforniatroll
Then why are there about eighty million Calfornians up here in Oregon, refusing to learn how to drive in rain? CALIFORNIAN GO HOME!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:24 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Then why are there about eighty million Calfornians up here in Oregon, refusing to learn how to drive in rain? CALIFORNIAN GO HOME!
Ewwwwww rain :cry: I hate the rain.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:26 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Then why are there about eighty million Calfornians up here in Oregon, refusing to learn how to drive in rain? CALIFORNIAN GO HOME!
Ewwwwww rain :cry: I hate the rain.
I only notice it's raining about half the time. Rain is why god invented gore-tex.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”