NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
emkay625

Gold

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Post by emkay625 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:38 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
They went from giving $0 to $150,000. The heightened number of apps had to be expected, but I doubt their medians will be impacted much, if at all. Emkay you are in good shape with your numbers.
Thanks Tiago. You make me feel better.

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:41 am

Just checking in. Had my off campus interview with a Northwestern alumna the other day. She was wonderful. Very nice, friendly, down to earth. It was a good, laid back (but 45 min) conversation. It made me really want to get into Northwestern! Hope I get in.

Good luck to all!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:01 am

amc987 wrote:Just checking in. Had my off campus interview with a Northwestern alumna the other day. She was wonderful. Very nice, friendly, down to earth. It was a good, laid back (but 45 min) conversation. It made me really want to get into Northwestern! Hope I get in.

Good luck to all!

I have my off campus alum interview in two weeks. What kinds of questions did she ask you? Stuff specifically about NU?

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:38 am

thelawschoolproject wrote: I have my off campus alum interview in two weeks. What kinds of questions did she ask you? Stuff specifically about NU?
She asked some general questions (Why law school? What was your most challenging course? Talk about leadership you've shown., etc.), a few that were specific to Northwestern (Why Northwestern? What excites you most about the law program?), and a few that were about my resume (Tell me about doing X internship, working in Y place, or doing Z extra-curricular activity?) There is a list of questions on the first page of this thread that you can use to prep. Making sure that I could answer those helped me. I felt like it went really well. I would also recommend bringing a copy of your resume and your essays if you're comfortable sharing these with your interviewer. I thought doing so functioned as an ice breaker and allowed the interview to feel less like I was answering a bunch of random questions that had no bearing on me. Plus, you might get lucky. My interviewer had serendipitously always wanted to go to a country I had spent some time working in, and I think that random tidbit immediately got me into her good graces. If I hadn't brought my resume, things might have gotten off to a more awkward start.

Good luck!!
Last edited by amc987 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:45 am

great suggestions thanks, amc

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:56 am

N00b question: What types of shoes do you recommend for guys to wear during cold (Chicago) winters?

I've never really noticed what shoes people in Chitown wear during my previous visits and growing up with only flipflops and other slipper-type shoes... I'm at a loss.

ETA: Are there specific types of dress shoes that do a better job for survival in the cold? I feel so oblivious right now.

foxylaxy

Bronze

Post by foxylaxy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:14 pm

amc987 wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote: I have my off campus alum interview in two weeks. What kinds of questions did she ask you? Stuff specifically about NU?
She asked some general questions (Why law school? What was your most challenging course? Talk about leadership you've shown., etc.), a few that were specific to Northwestern (Why Northwestern? What excites you most about the law program?), and a few that were about my resume (Tell me about doing X internship, working in Y place, or doing Z extra-curricular activity?) There is a list of questions on the first page of this thread that you can use to prep. Making sure that I could answer those helped me. I felt like it went really well. I would also recommend bringing a copy of your resume and your essays if you're comfortable sharing these with your interviewer. I thought doing so functioned as an ice breaker and allowed the interview to feel less like I was answering a bunch of random questions that had no bearing on me. Plus, you might get lucky. My interviewer had serendipitously always wanted to go to a country I had spent some time working in, and I think that random tidbit immediately got me into her good graces. If I hadn't brought my resume, things might have gotten off to a more awkward start.

Good luck!!
Definitely bring your resume. The e-mail from Northwestern for doing an on-campus interview explicitly states that you are to bring one in and that it will affect how they look at you if you do not. That said, it isn't necessary to bring copies of your personal statement and any additional essays or addenda. I don't think it'll hurt though. I brought copies of all of the above, but was told I didn't need them.

fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:25 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:
amc987 wrote:Just checking in. Had my off campus interview with a Northwestern alumna the other day. She was wonderful. Very nice, friendly, down to earth. It was a good, laid back (but 45 min) conversation. It made me really want to get into Northwestern! Hope I get in.

Good luck to all!

I have my off campus alum interview in two weeks. What kinds of questions did she ask you? Stuff specifically about NU?
+1 I have my off campus interview on Friday. What kind of questions were there? Did you bring/send her a copy of your resume at all?

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:N00b question: What types of shoes do you recommend for guys to wear during cold (Chicago) winters?

I've never really noticed what shoes people in Chitown wear during my previous visits and growing up with only flipflops and other slipper-type shoes... I'm at a loss.

ETA: Are there specific types of dress shoes that do a better job for survival in the cold? I feel so oblivious right now.
Last edited by No13baby on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mijenks

Bronze

Post by mijenks » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:30 pm

No13baby wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote:N00b question: What types of shoes do you recommend for guys to wear during cold (Chicago) winters?

TCR is wearing boots and bringing a cute pair of heels or flats to change into. Honestly, there is no dress shoe that will keep your feet warm enough to be able to wear outside when it's snowing.
RC fail.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:32 pm

No13baby wrote:

TCR is wearing boots and bringing a cute pair of heels or flats to change into. Honestly, there is no dress shoe that will keep your feet warm enough to be able to wear outside when it's snowing.
Depends on the weather. For generally cold weather, wear boots. Depending on how much snow there is, you may want to invest in snow boots and change when you get to wherever you're going. Also, water-proof your shoes AND invest in heavy wool socks.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:33 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:

Good luck to all!

basically ran through the questions listed in the OP.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:34 pm

I got these last year and they are amazing. Super comfortable and do an amazing job of keeping out the snow and slush to keep your feet nice and dry. Keeping your feet dry is important if you're going to be walking around a lot in the winter. I also really like them because even though they're a boot, they're aesthetically more like a shoe, so I'll wear them around as an everyday casual shoe without feeling like a tool.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... 8.12019864

I don't know about any dress shoes that do better in the cold. The big thing is to try to avoid the salt as much as possible. If you clean them often, you should be able to avoid salt damage. If possible, wear different shoes while traveling and change into the dress shoes at your destination. If you're really concerned, you could get a shoe with a thicker sole and tougher construction, like this one. I think other styles look better for me, so I deal with the snow and such, but if this works for you, it's better for the cold weather.

http://www.zappos.com/rockport-editoria ... ck-leather

--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Samara wrote:

For dress shoes: rubber sole is TCR. Wear thick socks underneath

foxylaxy

Bronze

Post by foxylaxy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Samara wrote:

I got these last year and they are amazing. Super comfortable and do an amazing job of keeping out the snow and slush to keep your feet nice and dry. Keeping your feet dry is important if you're going to be walking around a lot in the winter. I also really like them because even though they're a boot, they're aesthetically more like a shoe, so I'll wear them around as an everyday casual shoe without feeling like a tool.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... 8.12019864

I don't know about any dress shoes that do better in the cold. The big thing is to try to avoid the salt as much as possible. If you clean them often, you should be able to avoid salt damage. If possible, wear different shoes while traveling and change into the dress shoes at your destination. If you're really concerned, you could get a shoe with a thicker sole and tougher construction, like this one. I think other styles look better for me, so I deal with the snow and such, but if this works for you, it's better for the cold weather.

http://www.zappos.com/rockport-editoria ... ck-leather

--ImageRemoved--
For any wondering females: As a female, I wear boots the entire winter here. I wear my waterproof non-slip boots (they're slim and look dressy for flat boots). For my friends who went to school here from warmer weather climates, it's already too cold to wear open toed shoes, so wear something else. For an interview, females can maybe wear ankle boots (small enough to fit in your purse), carry a pair of pumps in your purse and change before your interview.

For Hopefully: Most guys I know still wear sneakers, but some invest in winter boots for walking in the snow. For an interview, normal dress shoes will be fine if it isn't snowing. They should have grip though if it recently snowed, like what was stated above, there will be salt all over if it did snow. Maybe you'd want to carry a bag with dress shoes if it does snow/rain to prevent your pants from getting wet on the bottom/salt damage

Note: Chicago is supposedly going to have the worst winter in the nation this year. The city of Chicago is usually good (as in no school closures in over 10 years) about clearing streets, but in the case of another snowocalypse, transportation may be delayed a day.

And finally, if you decide to go to school in Chicago, invest in a pair of waterproof boots. Your pants will thank you.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:43 pm

mijenks wrote:
No13baby wrote:

RC fail.
OH JESUS OOPS.
Actual answer: I think Merrell makes dressy-ish men's shoes with Gore-tex insulation. Otherwise get a pair of thin wool socks and you should be okay.

sdwhodat

Bronze

Post by sdwhodat » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

This may have been addressed already, but has.anyone been accepted regular decision yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:45 pm

sdwhodat wrote:This may have been addressed already, but has.anyone been accepted regular decision yet?
no. not ed either

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:46 pm

sdwhodat wrote:This may have been addressed already, but has.anyone been accepted regular decision yet?
No decisions yet at all, ED or RD.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Called this AM. ED timeline is still end of year. The 6-8 weeks is strictly for RD applicants.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:00 pm

You are all amazing. I lol'd at heels and a dress.

I would have totally missed the rubber soles thing for dress shoes and thanks for the tip on the Merrells. I'm going to keep in mind all your suggestions when I shop for the holidays. :)!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:04 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:Also, water-proof your shoes AND invest in heavy wool socks.
Buy water-proof shoes? or is there maybe some method of water-proofing shoes that I'm not familiar with?

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:04 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:You are all amazing. I lol'd at heels and a dress.

I would have totally missed the rubber soles thing for dress shoes and thanks for the tip on the Merrells. I'm going to keep in mind all your suggestions when I shop for the holidays. :)!
I second the Merrells suggestion for women as well. They make great winter boots and shoes that will hold up in snow, and they're very durable. I paid perhaps $80 for my current pair of snow boots, which have lasted me three years so far and still look nice. Plus they have cute little penguins and polar bears on the sole...

Also, this is pretty old-school, but I know a some men in the midwest who wear simple black galoshes / rubbers over their regular dress shoes. It looks totally silly, but it's a cheap and practical solution.

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:07 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:Also, water-proof your shoes AND invest in heavy wool socks.
Buy water-proof shoes? or is there maybe some method of water-proofing shoes that I'm not familiar with?

Yeah, I live in South Dakota and they sell this funny rubber spray stuff that seals your shoes up so that the snow doesn't damage them.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Hopefully2012 wrote:
Merrell and Keen both make waterproof shoes, usually with some sort of water/cold-proof lining. The waterproofing spray you can buy in shoe stores is also an option but it doesn't work nearly as well, and you'll have to re-spray pretty frequently if you wear the shoes often.
ETA: I think this is different than what lawschoolproject is talking about. The waterproof spray is an aerosol that you spray over the entire shoe.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”