NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:loathe apple. I refuse to even have Quicktime on my computer (fortunately, no one uses Quicktime anymore).
:shock: Is it the sharp design or the user friendliness that you hate? Apple 4 LIFE!
I don't find iOS at all friendly, and I don't like the total lack of customization.

On computers, I hate how everything is so streamlined to make it "pretty" that you can't find simple settings and commands that should be obvious, and I can't believe it took them 20 years to put a 2nd button on the goddamn mouse. On Macbooks, I hate how they don't have a Delete key (on some models) and call the Backspace key "Delete", and how you literally pay 2-3x as much for the same capabilities.

I cannot fucking stand iTunes, anything about it at all. I hate how even though it constantly runs in the background, sucking RAM, it takes 5 minutes to start up. I require my mp3 players to act as USB drives, have never voluntarily synced anything in my life, do not sort my music in any sort of 'library' software, and none of my music will ever have DRM. I pick my music files, I put them on the drive, I unplug it. Done.

I hate how Apple users are so smug in their choice of toys, as if it took great brains and originality to buy the most heavily advertised phone/tablet in the history of the universe and they weren't basically following the herd mentality of a 14-year-old girl.

And while not all Apple users are idiots by any means, nearly all idiots use Apple.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:43 pm

Just had my off-campus interview!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:44 pm

Samara wrote:
egirarde wrote: Awesome. Do I need to send out more apps you think?

Also found a pic of the Chicago campus gate... Just became the iPhone lock screen.
That looks like a good list, but I'm no URM expert, so I don't know how realistic it is. Looks like you want to practice in the SE? Maybe add GW?
Understood. Duke, Stanford, NYU, and Chicago are all reaches... Emory, UGA, Howard, and maybe even Cornell are sure things. The rest are toss ups... I think... :lol: :wink: :D

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:loathe apple. I refuse to even have Quicktime on my computer (fortunately, no one uses Quicktime anymore).
:shock: Is it the sharp design or the user friendliness that you hate? Apple 4 LIFE!
I don't find iOS at all friendly, and I don't like the total lack of customization.

On computers, I hate how everything is so streamlined to make it "pretty" that you can't find simple settings and commands that should be obvious, and I can't believe it took them 20 years to put a 2nd button on the goddamn mouse. On Macbooks, I hate how they don't have a Delete key (on some models) and call the Backspace key "Delete", and how you literally pay 2-3x as much for the same capabilities.

I cannot fucking stand iTunes, anything about it at all. I hate how even though it constantly runs in the background, sucking RAM, it takes 5 minutes to start up. I require my mp3 players to act as USB drives, have never voluntarily synced anything in my life, do not sort my music in any sort of 'library' software, and none of my music will ever have DRM. I pick my music files, I put them on the drive, I unplug it. Done.

I hate how Apple users are so smug in their choice of toys, as if it took great brains and originality to buy the most heavily advertised phone/tablet in the history of the universe and they weren't basically following the herd mentality of a 14-year-old girl.

And while not all Apple users are idiots by any means, nearly all idiots use Apple.
Some of these things, like the single-button mouse, are only aggravating because you're used to the two-button mouse. I love the simplicity of OSX and how intuitive it is. Maybe it just happens to be a good fit for the way my brain works with computers, but I find Apple products incredibly intuitive and easy. I can use a new program or new feature to do something really cool, sometimes not having any idea how I did it. It takes some getting used to though if you've been a PC user for a long time. You have to unlearn all the stupid ways that Windows forces you to do things.

I rarely use iTunes. Yes, it has many flaws, but can't you use a different program for music management, podcast downloading, etc.? And you can use the iPod as a hard drive.

On iOS, what kind of customization do you need that you can't get on the iPhone? I love that I don't have to mess with my phone. It just works, and works well, and I don't have to tweak this and that and download that patch and the other. Apps are screened through Apple so I don't have to worry about downloading malware or a wrong version or sift through a thousand crappy apps to find the one good one. It's annoying that they are blocking apps like grooveshark, but I'm willing to give that up to get everything else.

There are a lot of smug and annoying Apple users, but those people are generally Johnny-come-latelys. And the argument that it's all marketing is stupid. It's not like Apple stumbled upon the magic talisman of irresistible marketing. They make superior products. I'll freely admit that they are quite expensive and in most cases not a good value, but if you want that level of quality, you have to pay for it.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Samara wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:

Some of these things, like the single-button mouse, are only aggravating because you're used to the two-button mouse. I love the simplicity of OSX and how intuitive it is. Maybe it just happens to be a good fit for the way my brain works with computers, but I find Apple products incredibly intuitive and easy. I can use a new program or new feature to do something really cool, sometimes not having any idea how I did it. It takes some getting used to though if you've been a PC user for a long time. You have to unlearn all the stupid ways that Windows forces you to do things.

I rarely use iTunes. Yes, it has many flaws, but can't you use a different program for music management, podcast downloading, etc.? And you can use the iPod as a hard drive.

On iOS, what kind of customization do you need that you can't get on the iPhone? I love that I don't have to mess with my phone. It just works, and works well, and I don't have to tweak this and that and download that patch and the other. Apps are screened through Apple so I don't have to worry about downloading malware or a wrong version or sift through a thousand crappy apps to find the one good one. It's annoying that they are blocking apps like grooveshark, but I'm willing to give that up to get everything else.

There are a lot of smug and annoying Apple users, but those people are generally Johnny-come-latelys. And the argument that it's all marketing is stupid. It's not like Apple stumbled upon the magic talisman of irresistible marketing. They make superior products. I'll freely admit that they are quite expensive and in most cases not a good value, but if you want that level of quality, you have to pay for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Ugh you know what I'd really not like to have on my beautiful NU thread? An Apple-PC debate please I hate technology and reading this sort of stuff just depresses me.

Some people might call me high-maintenance :lol:

egirarde- thanks, didn't realize you were URM. I was hoping you had the super-secret third-party scholarship list.

Samara- it is a session error, whatever the hell that means. :(

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:46 pm

basilseal wrote:Ugh you know what I'd really not like to have on my beautiful NU thread? An Apple-PC debate please I hate technology and reading this sort of stuff just depresses me.
+1

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:46 pm

basilseal wrote:Ugh you know what I'd really not like to have on my beautiful NU thread? An Apple-PC debate please I hate technology and reading this sort of stuff just depresses me.

egirarde- thanks, didn't realize you were URM. I was hoping you had the super-secret third-party scholarship list.

For LSN? This happened to me. Try a different browser.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:48 pm

elibrarian wrote:
+1
:lol: You guys are no fun. I'll go back to looking at the maps on the app.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hotspur

Bronze

Post by hotspur » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:51 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:

For LSN? This happened to me. Try a different browser.
Pretty sure it means you're signed in on another device/computer. Check your iphone/android or safari/firefox/internet explorer and see if you're signed in there

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:54 pm

elibrarian wrote:
+1
TYFT.
hotspur wrote:Pretty sure it means you're signed in on another device/computer. Check your iphone/android or safari/firefox/internet explorer and see if you're signed in there
Yeah, a sessions issue means you are signed in on the same browser but on a different computer. You should be able to sign on from another browser (so if you normally use chrome, try firefox or IE). Next time, log out of your session in order to sign on from any computer with the same browser. It's annoying, but at least there's an easy solution!

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:37 pm

Weird. I can't think what others it would be but I'll try again tonight.

Thank you for indulging my Luddite ways, everyone.

amc987

Silver

Post by amc987 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:58 pm

Hey y'all. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to go complete after you complete your alumni interview? Mine was in the last few weeks and it was off campus. I'm not extremely worried about it, but I applied at the end of October and have yet to hear anything from NU. I don't want to have squandered whatever advantage early-cycle applicants have just because of the interview process.

What is a reasonable time frame to expect that I'll go complete and UR?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zoohoo

New

Post by zoohoo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:05 pm

amc987 wrote:Hey y'all. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to go complete after you complete your alumni interview? Mine was in the last few weeks and it was off campus. I'm not extremely worried about it, but I applied at the end of October and have yet to hear anything from NU. I don't want to have squandered whatever advantage early-cycle applicants have just because of the interview process.

I'm in the same boat, so I guess they take a while :(

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:20 am

Woah, really? o_o that's surprising...I applied 10/26 and was complete by 11/1. BUT, I also applied ED. Perhaps they're processing ALL the ED apps before even starting on the RD ones?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:46 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Woah, really? o_o that's surprising...I applied 10/26 and was complete by 11/1. BUT, I also applied ED. Perhaps they're processing ALL the ED apps before even starting on the RD ones?
They made decisions on ED before RD the last three years.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:25 am

Perhaps this has been addressed, but are the Splitter Friends battling medians that are both evil and rising, or are they battling rising medians and evil?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:43 am

cubswin wrote:Perhaps this has been addressed, but are the Splitter Friends battling medians that are both evil and rising, or are they battling rising medians and evil?
haha, I like you. It's my impression that we Splitter Friends are battling both rising medians and evil, as rising medians are not inherently evil. Our crusade is as self-serving as it is just.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:47 am

Samara wrote:
cubswin wrote:Perhaps this has been addressed, but are the Splitter Friends battling medians that are both evil and rising, or are they battling rising medians and evil?
haha, I like you. It's my impression that we Splitter Friends are battling both rising medians and evil, as rising medians are not inherently evil. Our crusade is as self-serving as it is just.
^ this. I just couldn't fit a better title into the character limit without taking out the 'NU '11-'12 Apps' part...which would be lame because it is, after all, the only way for others to find the thread.

Speaking of which, I should take that out now. :P

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:06 am

zoohoo wrote:
amc987 wrote:Hey y'all. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to go complete after you complete your alumni interview? Mine was in the last few weeks and it was off campus. I'm not extremely worried about it, but I applied at the end of October and have yet to hear anything from NU. I don't want to have squandered whatever advantage early-cycle applicants have just because of the interview process.

I'm in the same boat, so I guess they take a while :(
Several weeks after I finished my alumni interview last year, when my application still hadn't gone complete, admissions emailed me to ask if I was ever going to do my interview. I had forgotten to go back to the interview site and tell them when my interviewer and I had agreed to do it or something. Just make sure that's not you.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:01 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:
^ this. I just couldn't fit a better title into the character limit without taking out the 'NU '11-'12 Apps' part...which would be lame because it is, after all, the only way for others to find the thread.

You know, I didn't recognize the page without the Splitter Friends language... Thought you'd gone missing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:06 am

egirarde wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:

You know, I didn't recognize the page without the Splitter Friends language... Thought you'd gone missing.
HAhaha truuuue. Maybe I'll give a splitters shout out. Taking ideas for other, better titles as well :mrgreen:

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (Splitters GTFIH)

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:07 am

Better? :D :D

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:15 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:Better? :D :D
Much! Why are you up so early, btw?

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:36 am

This thread makes me feel like I'm not part of the cool club... non-splitters can be fun, right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”