NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:49 am

citykitty wrote:I'm interested to hear what all the splitter friends thought about the interviews this weekend. I've got my off-campus interview with an adcom in a few weeks. I really can't afford NU even if they let me in though. Ugh, I sometimes I wish I were less responsible and could stand to be in debt 20ft over my eyeballs, but I think I can't sadly.
I think both of ours went really well. It was a lot more of a casual conversation than I expected. Although my interviewer did read through my resume and asked questions based on that and seemed to have a list of predetermined questions, it was definitely less tense than I was expecting

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:53 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
citykitty wrote:I'm interested to hear what all the splitter friends thought about the interviews this weekend. I've got my off-campus interview with an adcom in a few weeks. I really can't afford NU even if they let me in though. Ugh, I sometimes I wish I were less responsible and could stand to be in debt 20ft over my eyeballs, but I think I can't sadly.
I think both of ours went really well. It was a lot more of a casual conversation than I expected. Although my interviewer did read through my resume and asked questions based on that and seemed to have a list of predetermined questions, it was definitely less tense than I was expecting
+1 to all of this! I thought it was FAR less intense than I made it out to be. the admin officer I spoke with actually had some things in common with me, so the beginning of our convo wasn't even about my resume, which reaaally helped to break the ice. It felt like a conversation with a new friend about what I'd done in the past few years.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Great to hear the interviews went well for you all!

In the spirit of the thread's earlier title, I present to you the footlong grilled cheese I had this weekend at The Scout:

For a footlong grilled cheese, it was actually kind of underwhelming. Good, but not great. The burger with the fried egg that my friend got was fantastic though. Excellent beer selection, too. They had Sam Adams Octoberfest on special for $3. I didn't know you could get decent beer that cheaply in the Loop.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:27 pm

Samara wrote:Great to hear the interviews went well for you all!

In the spirit of the thread's earlier title, I present to you the footlong grilled cheese I had this weekend at The Scout:

For a footlong grilled cheese, it was actually kind of underwhelming. Good, but not great. The burger with the fried egg that my friend got was fantastic though. Excellent beer selection, too. They had Sam Adams Octoberfest on special for $3. I didn't know you could get decent beer that cheaply in the Loop.
A footlong grilled cheese sounds epic! But from the pic it looks like the bread was too thick. Insufficient cheese-to-bread ratio will kill a grilled cheese every time.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:31 pm

[img]jpg[/img]

Had a couple of those on tap at mother's when we went out Friday. Awesome, but I still don't know how much they were. I think they were closer to 5 bucks or so

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:32 pm

omg.

want a grilled cheese now. or a fried egg. D:!!!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:33 pm

$3 for a decent draft beer is shockingly good. Well done, Samara.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

[img]grilledcheese.jpg[/img]

A footlong grilled cheese sounds epic! But from the pic it looks like the bread was too thick. Insufficient cheese-to-bread ratio will kill a grilled cheese every time.
Yeah, the bread was good and very well grilled, but you are correct, the ratio was what brought it down. I actually liked the amount of bread because it was good bread, it just needed more cheese.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:40 pm

tmon wrote:$3 for a decent draft beer is shockingly good. Well done, Samara.
Why, thank you, I was shocked too! That's a good deal even in my hometown (mid-size college town). I thought I was getting a good deal when I went to Elephant & Castle the night before and they had Widmer Drifter Pale Ale on special for $5. Pale ales can be real hit or miss for me, but I really liked this one. The discovery of these two bars just make me want to go to Northwestern even more. (Do NU people go to the South Loop?)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Samara wrote:
Why, thank you, I was shocked too! That's a good deal even in my hometown (mid-size college town). I thought I was getting a good deal when I went to Elephant & Castle the night before and they had Widmer Drifter Pale Ale on special for $5. Pale ales can be real hit or miss for me, but I really liked this one. The discovery of these two bars just make me want to go to Northwestern even more. (Do NU people go to the South Loop?)
Obviously can't speak on NU students, but Chicago people more generally tend to avoid the downtown area for food/drink if possible. It's got a touristy and overpriced reputation. But hell, I feel like I need to reconsider if there are good $3 drafts lol. I guess there are probably some exceptions and good places I don't know about. Cheap beer is definitely an exception downtown. But yeah, there's some good places just north of downtown that I know I'm personally more likely to go to.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:50 pm

tmon wrote:
Samara wrote:
Obviously can't speak on NU students, but Chicago people more generally tend to avoid the downtown area for food/drink if possible. It's got a touristy and overpriced reputation. But hell, I feel like I need to reconsider if there are good $3 drafts lol. I guess there are probably some exceptions and good places I don't know about. Cheap beer is definitely an exception downtown. But yeah, there's some good places just north of downtown that I know I'm personally more likely to go to.
Where were we Friday?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:59 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
tmon wrote:
Samara wrote:
Where were we Friday?
Just on the north side of downtown. Clark&Division area.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:22 pm

I just switched my app from RD to ED. Fingers crossed for a miracle come score release time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Samara wrote:
I can't remember the last time I was south of Streeterville. When I moved here in August for Lollapalooza maybe

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:17 pm

emkay625 wrote:I just switched my app from RD to ED. Fingers crossed for a miracle come score release time.
good luck (unless you take my spot)

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Does anyone know anything about NU "requiring" diversity statements? I heard that it was basically a requirement now, but as someone with no diversity it's kinda tough

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:53 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Does anyone know anything about NU "requiring" diversity statements? I heard that it was basically a requirement now, but as someone with no diversity it's kinda tough
Johann said that you should do at least the Why NU? essay. I'm not writing a DS because I also have no diversity. (beyond an academic field of interest and that is the topic of my PS) The closest thing I have is that technically I'll be the first in my family to hold a graduate degree.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:59 pm

I wrote Why NU, but no DS.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:40 pm

I think he basically wants you to write every optional essay that fits your situation. Why NU fits everyone though, so everyone should write that one.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:22 am

Not including lodging or transport to Chicago, how much should one bring per day for public transit, food, etc.?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:24 am

Opie wrote:Not including lodging or transport to Chicago, how much should one bring per day for public transit, food, etc.?
the CTA is 5 something per day. Food can range like crazy. I had a meal for 6 bucks at the Water Tower Place food court, and obv it was a lot more for other things. Gino's was 40-50 for my finacee and I. You can eat on 20 a day if you really want to.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:27 am

Opie wrote:Not including lodging or transport to Chicago, how much should one bring per day for public transit, food, etc.?
Public trans is 2.25 per ride, unless you get off/on within like an hour or so. If you're going to be there for a few days you can get a weekend pass that gives you unlimited rides in a period of days. If you look on the CTA website it says where they're sold. Food definitely depends on what/where you'll be eating. You can eat as cheaply/expensively as you do elsewhere for pretty much the same quality as elsewhere I've found, especially if you can do a little research before you go and pick where you'll eat ahead of time.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:47 am

I'd definitely get a multi-day CTA pass...I just used cash when I was there, and since they don't do transfers on the buses (wtf?), it's $2.25 every time you get on. Ran through a lot of $1 bills.

If you're curious, cab fare from O'Hare to Streeterville/Mag Mile is about $40 plus tip. Next time I'm going to try taking the El, but I didn't want to make trying to figure out train changes my very first Chicago experience.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:52 am

Also, Google Maps does public trans directions. Most people probably know this already, but I didn't realize before I visited on my own one of the first times. The trick is knowing which train line you need (color), where you're getting off (obviously), and which direction you're going (name of the last stop in the direction you're going). Google Maps will tell you all that pretty simply and the time estimates are usually generally accurate. Just make sure if you're planning on using public trans late at night that you plug that time in or know how late the lines run because not all of them are 24 hours and some run less frequently late at night.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:58 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
I'd definitely get a multi-day CTA pass...I just used cash when I was there, and since they don't do transfers on the buses (wtf?), it's $2.25 every time you get on. Ran through a lot of $1 bills.

If you're curious, cab fare from O'Hare to Streeterville/Mag Mile is about $40 plus tip. Next time I'm going to try taking the El, but I didn't want to make trying to figure out train changes my very first Chicago experience.
They do transfers on the bus, don't they? I think you have to ask for a transfer card or something when you get off. Definitely do the pass though. A one-day pass is $5.75 and a three-day is $14 so it's a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, you can only buy 3- or 7-day passes at the station vending machines. If you want a 1-day, you have order online (lol) or go to like a Walgreens or Jewel or something.

Riding CTA from O-Hare is pretty easy. Hop on the Blue Line towards Forest Park (Downtown). Transfer to the Red Line at Jackson. Get off at Chicago and walk like four blocks. Google Maps also says you can take the Blue Line to the Washington stop and then the 157 bus, which is apparently four minutes faster and involves less walking.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”