NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iamrobk

Bronze

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Post by iamrobk » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:10 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:I'm kinda feeling the same way. Crumps, any last words before I don't write a DS?
TBH you should be fine without one, so just pass, lol :P
iamrobk wrote:I don't really have any work experience (well, 2 summer internships and a job the other summer I was in school), or any good softs. I figure just based on numbers I have a decent shot (looking at LSN), but my understanding has always been that other factors are very important for NU, and I don't really have that.
You might have a hard time getting into NU without FT post-grad WE, because I think (not 100%) that they only take K-JDs who are above both medians.
Yeah, I kinda figured it'd be a situation like this. But eh for $16 I'll see what happens.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:53 pm

$16? The lsac fee went up? Craziness!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:53 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:$16? The lsac fee went up? Craziness!
:lol: I'd say you're a tad late to this game. :P

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:54 pm

Samara wrote:
Sorry. We 1L's don't concern ourselves with these trivialities. 8)

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:01 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Samara wrote:
Yeah, we're busy with $52,000 tuition. :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:02 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Samara wrote:
Yeah, we're busy with $52,000 tuition. :|
I was :mrgreen: . now, :(

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:04 pm

NU JUST sent out an email about the new ED program. LOL.
New Early Decision Program

Applicants who have thoroughly researched their law school options and who have identified Northwestern as their first choice law school may wish to apply for Early Decision. Northwestern's Early Decision program is binding. You also must withdraw all of your applications to other schools and refrain from initiating any new applications if and when you are notified of your acceptance through the Early Decision program. You may not be an Early Decision candidate at more than one law school.

To be considered for Early Decision, your application must be complete, including your Credential Assembly Service Law School Report, by December 1.

An on-campus interview is mandatory for Early Decision candidates. Your interview must be completed by November 15 to be considered for Early Decision. You are encouraged to sign-up for your interview as soon as possible to ensure that there are appointments available, as all on-campus interview appointment slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Applicants who are admitted in December 2011 to the three-year JD program through binding early decision and who matriculate in Fall 2012 will receive a $50,000 merit scholarship per year for three years. For further details, please see http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ision.html.
(bolding my own)

This is 2 weeks before the deadline for interviews...why did they wait till so late?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:10 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:NU JUST sent out an email about the new ED program. LOL.

This is 2 weeks before the deadline for interviews...why did they wait till so late?
I received an email like that about a month ago. Definitely surprised that they haven't pushed it harder though.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:20 pm

This is the first email I've gotten from them about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Want_My_Life_Back

New

Post by Want_My_Life_Back » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:22 pm

Applicants who have thoroughly researched their law school options and who have identified Northwestern as their first choice law school may wish to apply for Early Decision. Northwestern's Early Decision program is binding. You also must withdraw all of your applications to other schools and refrain from initiating any new applications if and when you are notified of your acceptance through the Early Decision program. You may not be an Early Decision candidate at more than one law school.

To be considered for Early Decision, your application must be complete, including your Credential Assembly Service Law School Report, by December 1.

An on-campus interview is mandatory for Early Decision candidates. Your interview must be completed by November 15 to be considered for Early Decision. You are encouraged to sign-up for your interview as soon as possible to ensure that there are appointments available, as all on-campus interview appointment slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Applicants who are admitted in December 2011 to the three-year JD program through binding early decision and who matriculate in Fall 2012 will receive a $50,000 merit scholarship per year for three years. For further details, please see http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... ision.html.
(bolding my own)

I just received the email as well, but I thought it was because I had faxed in my CL and ED Certificate 20 minutes before hand.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:38 pm

Want_My_Life_Back wrote:

(bolding my own)

I just received the email as well, but I thought it was because I had faxed in my CL and ED Certificate 20 minutes before hand.
I never got the email, which is weird because I texted aardvark.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:05 pm

Yeah, I got that email about a month ago as well. I wish they'd stop telling everyone and just give me all the monies.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:23 pm

I guess if you never got the email, you never had a shot at it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:39 pm

thelawyler wrote:I guess if you never got the email, you never had a shot at it?
Doubt that there's any correlation--I still don't have a shot at it and I got it today :lol:

Schang1

Bronze

Post by Schang1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:02 pm

Has there ever been applicants accepted with less than a year of WE? And really how important is the interview? I'm currently in Austin TX but I'm contemplating whether I should sign up for one or not... NU is not my first choice but I would hate for my chances of getting admitted to get even lower for not having gone through an interview :?

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:04 pm

My interview is tomorrow. If I get asked what I would do, if I didn't get accepted to any law schools, what do I say. Do I say what I would have done had I not gained any admissions, or do I confess that I already have an acceptance somewhere?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Schang1 wrote:Has there ever been applicants accepted with less than a year of WE? And really how important is the interview? I'm currently in Austin TX but I'm contemplating whether I should sign up for one or not... NU is not my first choice but I would hate for my chances of getting admitted to get even lower for not having gone through an interview :?
If you check out the OP, you'll see that ~2% of the class is comprised of people with no WE or less than a year of WE.

As for the interview, I think it's preferable but I'm not sure that they'll mark you down for not doing one. If you can, you might as well though. After all, if NU is really your first choice, one would think you'd be willing to do at least an off-campus interview.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:07 pm

citykitty wrote:My interview is tomorrow. If I get asked what I would do, if I didn't get accepted to any law schools, what do I say. Do I say what I would have done had I not gained any admissions, or do I confess that I already have an acceptance somewhere?
They're not gonna ask you that: most of the interview is about your WE. If they do, say you have but answer it as if you hadn't.

IE:

"Well fortunately I've already been accepted to some schools I'm very interested in, but if I were to be rejected from every school I applied to, I would..."

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:26 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
citykitty wrote:My interview is tomorrow. If I get asked what I would do, if I didn't get accepted to any law schools, what do I say. Do I say what I would have done had I not gained any admissions, or do I confess that I already have an acceptance somewhere?
They're not gonna ask you that: most of the interview is about your WE. If they do, say you have but answer it as if you hadn't.

IE:

"Well fortunately I've already been accepted to some schools I'm very interested in, but if I were to be rejected from every school I applied to, I would..."

Perfect answer! Thanks, girl! I saw this Q on the front page ITT and was worried.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:29 pm

citykitty wrote:Perfect answer! Thanks, girl! I saw this Q on the front page ITT and was worried.
Yeah, don't worry too much, from my experience (and some other NHers'), it was actually quite casual and more conversational. They asked the questions from the front page when they came up in the conversation. For me, that convo revolved mainly around my WE/non-profit work in UG and my grades (so expect to get qs about weaknesses in your application)

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
citykitty wrote:Perfect answer! Thanks, girl! I saw this Q on the front page ITT and was worried.
Yeah, don't worry too much, from my experience (and some other NHers'), it was actually quite casual and more conversational. They asked the questions from the front page when they came up in the conversation. For me, that convo revolved mainly around my WE/non-profit work in UG and my grades (so expect to get qs about weaknesses in your application)
Yeah, mine basically said something like "This is pretty much going to be based on your resume" and it was. The only question from the list I remember specifically being asked was "what is the most significant/difficult project you've had?"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:42 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
they asked me. but yeah, kitty, just tell them you have been accepted and if you want, say what you would do if none of the schools seem like a good fit or something along those lines

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:59 pm

They asked me that.... it was like an apocalypse scenario where no law schools accept you not even Cooley. They just want to know what your backup plan is, and also why that plan is your backup rather than your first choice

bitterpessimist

New

Post by bitterpessimist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:43 pm

RD applicant checking in

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Is the "number of months" in the employment section what they look at to see how much you have? As far as the 1-2 years requirement? I had a lot of gap time in my undergrad where I was working FT so should I include that?

I called them and they weren't really clear

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”