NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aekea

Bronze

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Post by aekea » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:21 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
aekea wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Sorry to ruin page 180 with a financial aid question...I just got the email about FA, and they make it clear that they do not differentiate b/w merit and need-based, and that you need to file a Need-Access to get anything. A few questions:
1. If you aren't getting need-based, do you need to file a FAFSA too?
2. Anyone know which of the other T14s do this merit/need-combination thing?
There's no way I'm getting need-based, so filling out a FAFSA etc. seems like a huge waste.../sigh...
You never know. If I remember correctly, NU doesn't look at your parent financial information so unless you're independently wealthy, you might qualify.
THEY DON'T?????? YESSSSSSSSSSSS

although I AM still listed as a dependent. ): But if you look at MY finances, I'm pretty po'
Found it on their website:

"How will my parents' finances impact my eligibility for scholarships/grants?
We do not collect parental data so their financial information will not impact your eligibility. We automatically treat all of our students as financially independent. The Need Access application may ask you to provide your parents' financial information, but we won't be looking at it. If the Need Access application requires you to provide it, there's a good chance one of the other schools you're applying to is going to want it."

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:21 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
aekea wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Sorry to ruin page 180 with a financial aid question...I just got the email about FA, and they make it clear that they do not differentiate b/w merit and need-based, and that you need to file a Need-Access to get anything. A few questions:
There's no way I'm getting need-based, so filling out a FAFSA etc. seems like a huge waste.../sigh...
You never know. If I remember correctly, NU doesn't look at your parent financial information so unless you're independently wealthy, you might qualify.
THEY DON'T?????? YESSSSSSSSSSSS

although I AM still listed as a dependent. ): But if you look at MY finances, I'm pretty po'
Just looked it up and all grad students are considered independent for FAFSA. Score for you!

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Samara wrote:
aekea wrote:
They don't ask for your parent's info, but FAFSA might if you aren't "independent." I don't remember.

Are you so disqualified for need-based that you wouldn't even qualify for loans? Because you have to fill out FAFSA to get loans. And if you're paying for it in cash, leave the schollies for the rest of us. :wink:
I will not be needing loans, and both myself and my parents are independently wealthy enough to make me ineligible for need-based scholarships. Getting back to my original questions...

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Getting back to my original questions...
1. Yes, you still need to file FAFSA and Need Access.
2. Don't know for sure, but I think most of the T14 does the need/merit combo thing.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:24 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:In w/o WE. It can be done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:26 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:I will not be needing loans, and both myself and my parents are independently wealthy enough to make me ineligible for need-based scholarships. Getting back to my original questions...
Dude, that's just mean to look for scholly money then. ): Some of us will be taking out $200K in debt if we can't get scholarships.

aekea

Bronze

Post by aekea » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:27 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:
Samara wrote:
aekea wrote:
They don't ask for your parent's info, but FAFSA might if you aren't "independent." I don't remember.

Are you so disqualified for need-based that you wouldn't even qualify for loans? Because you have to fill out FAFSA to get loans. And if you're paying for it in cash, leave the schollies for the rest of us. :wink:
I will not be needing loans, and both myself and my parents are independently wealthy enough to make me ineligible for need-based scholarships. Getting back to my original questions...
It sounds like for NU you might only need to fill out the Need Access. It looks like that's what they use to determine the merit/need scholarships and the FAFSA is just so they can give you a complete financial picture. But if you're just looking for merit scholarships, you don't need to know about loans.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:29 pm

aekea wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:I will not be needing loans, and both myself and my parents are independently wealthy enough to make me ineligible for need-based scholarships. Getting back to my original questions...
It sounds like for NU you might only need to fill out the Need Access. It looks like that's what they use to determine the merit/need scholarships and the FAFSA is just so they can give you a complete financial picture. But if you're just looking for merit scholarships, you don't need to know about loans.
To be considered for aid (grants/loans, need/merit) at all, NU requires both FAFSA and NeedAccess. Since NeedAccess is the bigger pain in the ass by a factor of about a thousand and you're apparently willing to do it, just spend the 10 minutes on FAFSA and get it overwith. Yeesh.

(or better yet, don't, and leave the money for those of us who actually could use it.)

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Is there criteria published somewhere that tells you whether or not you might be eligible for Need-Based Aid?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:36 pm

cactuarX3 wrote:Is there criteria published somewhere that tells you whether or not you might be eligible for Need-Based Aid?
I don't think they publish anything detailed enough to be of use, but I could definitely be wrong.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:37 pm

Johann's tweets today are hilarious by the way. Today's comes with a picture.

--LinkRemoved--

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:39 pm

red envelopes?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:40 pm

Samara wrote:Johann's tweets today are hilarious by the way. Today's comes with a picture.

--LinkRemoved--
LOLOL!!!

Oh gosh you can still see the person's last name, too. LOL.
DaftAndDirect wrote:red envelopes?
'hong bao' for Chinese New Year. They make CNY the best fucking holiday EVERRR. I got 300 bucks this weekend because of hong bao :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:41 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:red envelopes?
I think it's a Chinese New Year reference.

scoooooped

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Samara wrote:Johann's tweets today are hilarious by the way. Today's comes with a picture.

--LinkRemoved--
Looks like an international app. I'm guessing that's Rio de Janeiro for the city.

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Hehehe, the guy's last name is Bueno....

And in reference to the Hong Bao, yes I agree, BEST HOLIDAY EVER!! Recovered some of my app fees yesterday

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Flips88 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Looks like an international app. I'm guessing that's Rio de Janeiro for the city.
Yeah, I saw that. I guess that makes it a little forgivable. Though it sounds like that applicant is still woefully underprepared.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. And trust me, paying out of pocket isn't much less unpleasant than taking out loans. It's worse, in a sense, since you can actually see your money leaving, as opposed to the "out of sight" nature of loans.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:01 pm

After having to wait over a month for an interview, 2 weeks after it my application is finally complete! Now to wait with the rest of you :)

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:01 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. And trust me, paying out of pocket isn't much less unpleasant than taking out loans. It's worse, in a sense, since you can actually see your money leaving, as opposed to the "out of sight" nature of loans.
this kind of thinking = what caused the credit crunch

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:09 pm

lsatcrazy wrote:Thanks for all the help guys. And trust me, paying out of pocket isn't much less unpleasant than taking out loans. It's worse, in a sense, since you can actually see your money leaving, as opposed to the "out of sight" nature of loans.
It's so cute when the 1% think they can sympathize. :P
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Is that guy's avatar Michael Douglas from Wall Street? If so, is it a self tar?

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Tom Hagen (Robert Duvall) from the Godfather. The most gangster lawyer EVAR.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Naw, you have me confused with this fine fellow. I can see why you would mistake us though.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:25 pm

DaftAndDirect wrote:Tom Hagen (Robert Duvall) from the Godfather. The most gangster lawyer EVAR.
Well, now I know what I want to be when I grow up.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”