NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Killingly

Silver

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Post by Killingly » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:11 pm

180asBreath wrote:Has NU admitted someone without a year of full time work experience, before?
A very small amount, I believe. NU was the very first law school I was really interested in (apart from my 10-year-old obsession with NYU). I asked this question to a rep and she told me not to waste my time applying.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:14 pm

180asBreath wrote:Has NU admitted someone without a year of full time work experience, before?
About 5% of every class has no work experience. About 80% has at least two years.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:25 pm

Look @ OP and you will find:

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:26 pm

This fact is one of the reasons why I love Northwestern Law so much. I do wish that other law schools would institute the same sort of requirement but they would never be able to maintain their current class sizes.
Samara wrote:
About 5% of every class has no work experience. About 80% has at least two years.

addy11

Bronze

Post by addy11 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:29 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Look @ OP and you will find:

This has to be the single best asset NW has. Even people one year out of UG have such a different perspective. As someone slightly non-trad (4 years out), it's something I hope my eventual law school will prize as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:31 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:This fact is one of the reasons why I love Northwestern Law so much. I do wish that other law schools would institute the same sort of requirement but they would never be able to maintain their current class sizes.
Samara wrote:
It's a huge plus for me too. I think the vast majority, if not all, prospective law school students should get some work experience between UG and LS. It would be great to be part of a student body with that level of experience.

thisisme

New

Post by thisisme » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:47 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:
This fact is one of the reasons why I love Northwestern Law so much. I do wish that other law schools would institute the same sort of requirement but they would never be able to maintain their current class sizes.

Samara wrote:
180asBreath wrote:
Has NU admitted someone without a year of full time work experience, before?

It's a huge plus for me too. I think the vast majority, if not all, prospective law school students should get some work experience between UG and LS. It would be great to be part of a student body with that level of experience.
Ditto to all of this. It seems like having been out for a few years those students at/interested in NU have an understanding of why they want to be in law schools that is deeper than at many other schools I looked at.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:58 pm

I got accepted and I’m still in undergrad, no full-time work experience aside from summers.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:00 pm

AmandaPB wrote:
I got accepted and I’m still in undergrad, no full-time work experience aside from summers.
CONGRATS!!!! RE: the question of WE though, you're above both medians and have a really high GPA, which is what they need to offset their love for splitters. It all depends on the #s, IMO. If you're borderline, you should have WE. If you're above both medians, you should be alright, especially if one or both of your stats are well above median.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:01 pm

AmandaPB wrote:
But you won't be part of the 5%, right?

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:03 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:
CONGRATS!!!! RE: the question of WE though, you're above both medians and have a really high GPA, which is what they need to offset their love for splitters. It all depends on the #s, IMO. If you're borderline, you should have WE. If you're above both medians, you should be alright, especially if one or both of your stats are well above median.
Definitely makes sense.
Samara wrote:But you won't be part of the 5%, right?
No, but 180asBreath asked about acceptances. I wonder how many people without work experience get accepted versus how many actually attend.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:06 pm

AmandaPB wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:
Definitely makes sense.
No, but 180asBreath asked about acceptances. I wonder how many people without work experience get accepted versus how many actually attend.
I imagine many get accepted and don't attend because you probably need MVP numbers to get in without WE.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Samara wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:No, but 180asBreath asked about acceptances. I wonder how many people without work experience get accepted versus how many actually attend.
I imagine many get accepted and don't attend because you probably need MVP numbers to get in without WE.
Ahh, truth. Also I assume there's some level of self-selection? More people with WE apply to NU because they've heard of their preference for it? IDK...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:09 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:No, but 180asBreath asked about acceptances. I wonder how many people without work experience get accepted versus how many actually attend.
Ahh, truth. Also I assume there's some level of self-selection? More people with WE apply to NU because they've heard of their preference for it? IDK...
Definitely, though I imagine there's more self-selection to not apply.

AmandaPB

Bronze

Post by AmandaPB » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:11 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:
Yeah, I agree. I feel like I would maybe feel like an outsider if I attended, with only 5% of students not having WE.

ConfidenceMan2

New

Post by ConfidenceMan2 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Well, related question then: I've been out of UG for 3 years, but only have 1 year full-time (real) work experience. Will be closer to 2 by the fall, but not quite a full 2. (Preemptive reply: because I spent a year in grad school).

How heavily do they weigh 2+ years vs 1+ years? Any idea if its a notable factor?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:21 pm

ConfidenceMan2 wrote:Well, related question then: I've been out of UG for 3 years, but only have 1 year full-time (real) work experience. Will be closer to 2 by the fall, but not quite a full 2. (Preemptive reply: because I spent a year in grad school).

How heavily do they weigh 2+ years vs 1+ years? Any idea if its a notable factor?
I hiiiighly doubt it. I'll have less than 2 years WE upon matriculation, and they admitted me with a 2.8/176. Obviously it seems like they'd prefer 2 years, but I feel as though your grad school exp will count for you, despite not being technical WE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:44 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
ConfidenceMan2 wrote:Well, related question then: I've been out of UG for 3 years, but only have 1 year full-time (real) work experience. Will be closer to 2 by the fall, but not quite a full 2. (Preemptive reply: because I spent a year in grad school).

I hiiiighly doubt it. I'll have less than 2 years WE upon matriculation, and they admitted me with a 2.8/176. Obviously it seems like they'd prefer 2 years, but I feel as though your grad school exp will count for you, despite not being technical WE.
Shouldn't be a problem. Maybe not many people only get one year of WE before applying/matriculating?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Samara wrote:
AmandaPB wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
AmandaPB wrote: I got accepted and I’m still in undergrad, no full-time work experience aside from summers.
Definitely makes sense.
more like NYU numbers

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:01 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:more like NYU numbers
Hey Jam, where's that thread that YCR started about who's going where?

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:08 pm

@tweetsbyjohann: A short but long week. just consumed a bag full of regret for lunch. get ready for some decisions...

Yikes... WTF does that mean?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:09 pm

I don't like the sound of that... "long week" doesn't sound like he's in the best of moods.

ETA: I just realized how insane I must be in order to try to analyze tweets.

**goes back to work.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:10 pm

JustE wrote:@tweetsbyjohann: A short but long week. just consumed a bag full of regret for lunch. get ready for some decisions...

:shock: it sounds like rejection time to me. But I'm a pessimist.
Last edited by franklyscarlet on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:11 pm

JustE wrote:@tweetsbyjohann: A short but long week. just consumed a bag full of regret for lunch. get ready for some decisions...

Sounds like he had fast food for lunch. Some people describe McDonald's (or whatever) that way. Not me; I never regret fast food.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:11 pm

lol'd so hard at "consumed a bag full of regret." I can haz acceptance now?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”