NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Samara

Gold

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Post by Samara » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:46 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:Maybe if we get together as a team, they'll let us all in under the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" principle. We can be like these guys:

If I had any photoshop skills, I'd change super to splitter. Also, I call Aquaman.
I can't believe i just took the time to do this, but...
A. Maze. Zing.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:55 am

Samara wrote:.
This will get confusing.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:01 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Image
Oh my god. I don't even know how you did that. I considered shopping it but if I had it would've just been like...flat letters typed on top of the super like some ghetto POS. o_o You totes get Superman for that one :lol:
:P Happy to oblige. But I dunno, I might want Wonder Woman. She's got that Lasso of Truth and the Bracelets of...something, after all. Accessories are important!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:04 am

UnamSanctam wrote:
This will get confusing.
This will only heighten our intended effect. I am Spartacus!

Wait a minute...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:10 am

Samara wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
This will get confusing.

Wait a minute...
If you wanna wait until tonight, I'll make you personalized ones. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:19 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
This will get confusing.

Wait a minute...
Sweet! *looks for temporary replacement 'tar* Damn you, Bildungsroman and your monopoly on Archer 'tars!

tmon

Silver

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Post by tmon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:35 am

ATTN: Crumps :wink:
tweetsbyjohann wrote:psa: if early morn on-campus IV, please finish your coffee b4 the IV. With way rooms designed, there's no place for cup. #awkward

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
This will get confusing.

Wait a minute...
Ones meaning one for moi as well?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:16 pm

So, not to derail this intensely interesting conversation, but after reading about the new ED policy and researching more on NU, I am now considering it (sorry, I'm sure that doesn't may anyone's fears about more NU applicants better).

I've never considered NU because I own a home and have a family in Iowa and didn't want to move them. With the possibility of getting a degree at NU with similar debt to what I would have at the T3 school here in town, I can't resist the app.

I am planning on applying ED to NU now and will pretty much only go there if I get the ED scholly or a good need/merit one (my wife is currently unemployed and I make about $30k a year w/2 kids). I will get a place in Chicago to stay during the week and will ride Megabus back home for weekends when the roads are good enough.

Am I completely out of my mind? I'll be 30 at matriculation, 3.62 LSAC GPA, taking the LSAT for the first time on Oct 1 but PTing at 167, have been working since I was 14. About 14 years total WE, much of the time it was two jobs, about 8 years management WE, will have 2 years as a licensed insurance agent working for a big corp at matriculation. Moderate volunteering late in UG.

I know this is sort of a 50/50 appropriate post for here or the what are my chances thread, so I apologize for that. I really want to know what my chances are and if it's even possible to do NU with that kind of arrangement.

Also, where do Northwestern students tend to live? Housing downtown has to be crazy expensive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:18 pm

Just don't get too crazy with the LSAT Opie. I'm trying to limit competition

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Just don't get too crazy with the LSAT Opie. I'm trying to limit competition
Haha.. I'll try to not get over a 173 or so. But if I get the 173 it's NU all the way.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:20 pm

I should mention that my UG uses a team-based learning model that I would talk about in a Why NU? essay and at interview.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:20 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Ones meaning one for moi as well?
Soitenly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Odd Future Wolf Gang

Gold

Post by Odd Future Wolf Gang » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:24 pm

Opie, I think you will have a good chance if you do well on the LSAT brother. With solid WE, good numbers, and potentially a compelling personal narrative/statement, I think you can get in ED. IMO.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Opie wrote:So, not to derail this intensely interesting conversation, but after reading about the new ED policy and researching more on NU, I am now considering it (sorry, I'm sure that doesn't may anyone's fears about more NU applicants better).

I've never considered NU because I own a home and have a family in Iowa and didn't want to move them. With the possibility of getting a degree at NU with similar debt to what I would have at the T3 school here in town, I can't resist the app.

I am planning on applying ED to NU now and will pretty much only go there if I get the ED scholly or a good need/merit one (my wife is currently unemployed and I make about $30k a year w/2 kids). I will get a place in Chicago to stay during the week and will ride Megabus back home for weekends when the roads are good enough.

Am I completely out of my mind? I'll be 30 at matriculation, 3.62 LSAC GPA, taking the LSAT for the first time on Oct 1 but PTing at 167, have been working since I was 14. About 14 years total WE, much of the time it was two jobs, about 8 years management WE, will have 2 years as a licensed insurance agent working for a big corp at matriculation. Moderate volunteering late in UG.

I know this is sort of a 50/50 appropriate post for here or the what are my chances thread, so I apologize for that. I really want to know what my chances are and if it's even possible to do NU with that kind of arrangement.

Also, where do Northwestern students tend to live? Housing downtown has to be crazy expensive.
Is moving your family completely out of the question? At least to a suburb or somewhere kind of halfway, like Dekalb?

Also, I'm assuming you won't have a car and will rely on public transit? That will limit your options a bit, but somewhere like Skokie is a possibility if you want a more affordable place that is still nice and you don't care about being really close to campus. The CTA runs express from Skokie to downtown, so with your uPass, your transportation costs would be practically nil.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote: :P Happy to oblige. But I dunno, I might want Wonder Woman. She's got that Lasso of Truth and the Bracelets of...something, after all. Accessories are important!
She's all yours, I'll swing w/Batman ^_^ YAYYYYY Splitter Friends. :lol:
tmon wrote:ATTN: Crumps :wink:
tweetsbyjohann wrote:psa: if early morn on-campus IV, please finish your coffee b4 the IV. With way rooms designed, there's no place for cup. #awkward
Hahahhaha! Luckily for me, my interview isn't until looonnng after coffee-drinking time (also, I don't drink coffee very much anyway). But good to know...XD

Opie, good luck with the LSAT! Hopefully we both do well and end up in the same class next year! :D

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:35 pm

I think the requirement of work experience in fact undermines "richness of life experience and maturity that brings to the collective class." For one, it inhibits certain majors from being strong candidates for admission who otherwise would be (see any humanities, social science, econ, foreign language, etc.). Additionally, it creates a class comprised of twenty-something ex-professionals who worked in a mediorcre finance position for a few years and consequently realized the so-called "real world" is whack.
Actually, there is a LOT that can be gained from working retail. Besides normal work habits (be on time, etc.), customers lie, customers steal, customers are jerks, customers treat you worse than their hired, domestic help at home. Ditto bosses.

Retail is not all that different than the legal profession. :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:36 pm

Odd Future Wolf Gang wrote:Opie, I think you will have a good chance if you do well on the LSAT brother. With solid WE, good numbers, and potentially a compelling personal narrative/statement, I think you can get in ED. IMO.
Thanks! LSP said 42% with just raw numbers, so I didn't think it was too crazy given my WE and Non-Trad status that NU likes.
Samara wrote:Is moving your family completely out of the question? At least to a suburb or somewhere kind of halfway, like Dekalb?

Also, I'm assuming you won't have a car and will rely on public transit? That will limit your options a bit, but somewhere like Skokie is a possibility if you want a more affordable place that is still nice and you don't care about being really close to campus. The CTA runs express from Skokie to downtown, so with your uPass, your transportation costs would be practically nil.
Moving the family is pretty much out of the question. My ex-wife lives in Iowa too and since I have custody of the kids, moving would mean moving them. Also, I'm upside down on a house that I bought on contract (not the best credit), so selling that would be very difficult.

I could take a car if that made things easier. I have a small car I could take. My plans though were to rely on public transit for the first time in my life. Thanks for the Skokie tip. I'll look at that. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of student housing or what since I haven't really been looking at it.
crumpetsandtea wrote:Opie, good luck with the LSAT! Hopefully we both do well and end up in the same class next year!
Thanks! That would be pretty amazing. I've never even been able to not work at least 40 hours a week at a real job during UG, so the idea of quitting my job and going to a school like Northwestern is surreal to me.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Opie wrote:Moving the family is pretty much out of the question. My ex-wife lives in Iowa too and since I have custody of the kids, moving would mean moving them. Also, I'm upside down on a house that I bought on contract (not the best credit), so selling that would be very difficult.

I could take a car if that made things easier. I have a small car I could take. My plans though were to rely on public transit for the first time in my life. Thanks for the Skokie tip. I'll look at that. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of student housing or what since I haven't really been looking at it.
I would try to find out from some actual NU students what they think about something like the Skokie idea to get a better perspective since I'm not actually there yet. If I go to NU next year, my wife and I are looking at Skokie as a possible place to live. She has a job out here in the near-northwest suburbs, so we're looking at the Skokie area as somewhere that would split the commutes. CTA runs the Yellow Line from Skokie straight to the Red and Purple Lines. The Purple Line runs express to downtown during rush hour, so that seems like a decently short commute.

If you take a car, you might also consider the Rosemont area. You can get a monthly parking pass for the Cumberland stop on the Blue Line for just $40. The Blue Line is a little more awkward to get to NU from, but it's another place to consider if you wanted a car. Having a car opens up your choices too; there are lots of places within a short ride of the Cumberland stop. I've done this commute before (though just to the loop) and it's really not bad. You can always read or whatever on the train. Plus, it's closer to I-88 and I-90, whichever one you would use to drive back to Iowa.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Samara wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
This will get confusing.

Wait a minute...
Is this... is this happening? Can others solicit? Can I be in on the wonderment? Can I be robin? This is unspeakably exciting.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:09 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:If you wanna wait until tonight, I'll make you personalized ones. :P
Is this... is this happening? Can others solicit? Can I be in on the wonderment? Can I be robin? This is unspeakably exciting.
lol yes. I'm just gonna put your screenname in a fancy zooming text across the bottom where the purple stuff is. :)

(gotta make you all like me for if/when we're classmates at NU!)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:12 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:If you wanna wait until tonight, I'll make you personalized ones. :P
lol yes. I'm just gonna put your screenname in a fancy zooming text across the bottom where the purple stuff is. :)

WANT!!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the one thing that would make me change my Roy 'tar.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

You are the best of all.

definitely calling le batman >_>

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:56 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is the one thing that would make me change my Roy 'tar.
Finally figured out your 'tar. I recognized the shirt as being from Dinosaur Comics but I was pretty sure it wasn't Ryan North.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”