NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Samara

Gold

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Post by Samara » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:03 pm

I'll add that I am a big fan of the v-neck sweater over a collared shirt and tie in the winter.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Yeah, after some research and coming up with this thread it sounds like suit is good, especially if you're doing it on campus. Sounds like alumni/off campus ones could differ, but even then suit sounds fine too.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:24 pm

tmon wrote:Yeah, after some research and coming up with this thread it sounds like suit is good, especially if you're doing it on campus. Sounds like alumni/off campus ones could differ, but even then suit sounds fine too.
I would definitely wear a suit for an on campus interview. There were 4 other people interviewing when I did (1 other guy, 3 other girls) and we were all dressed that formally.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:27 pm

Revolver066 wrote:Quick question: So I know about NU WE requirements. I've been working for the past year, but only part-time (think 25-35 hours a week), along with volunteering. Do I basically have no shot?

(URM splitter FWIW)
I think you probably have a shot assuming a good enough LSAT.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:58 pm

I'm planning on EDing and flying in from California so I'd like to get a ticket asap to save on airfare. I also work as an assistant for an attorney full time so I need to give my boss fair warning before I leave. Anyone know when we can start making appointments for the on campus interview? I've called a couple times and they gave different dates every time (ranging from the end of August to the middle of September). Is Sept 1st the day they begin making appointments for out of towners?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:03 am

Hopefully2012 wrote:I'm planning on EDing and flying in from California so I'd like to get a ticket asap to save on airfare. I also work as an assistant for an attorney full time so I need to give my boss fair warning before I leave. Anyone know when we can start making appointments for the on campus interview? I've called a couple times and they gave different dates every time (ranging from the end of August to the middle of September). Is Sept 1st the day they begin making appointments for out of towners?
Uh...I think September slots might be gone. The only updates I've gotten on interviews are from the NU twitter, and they said "Please note that our limited On-Campus interviews for September are full. Don't worry, we'll post more spots in the next few weeks!" I think October dates should be announced in a couple weeks then since this was from the 15th.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:07 am

tmon wrote:
Hopefully2012 wrote:I'm planning on EDing and flying in from California so I'd like to get a ticket asap to save on airfare. I also work as an assistant for an attorney full time so I need to give my boss fair warning before I leave. Anyone know when we can start making appointments for the on campus interview? I've called a couple times and they gave different dates every time (ranging from the end of August to the middle of September). Is Sept 1st the day they begin making appointments for out of towners?
Uh...I think September slots might be gone. The only updates I've gotten on interviews are from the NU twitter, and they said "Please note that our limited On-Campus interviews for September are full. Don't worry, we'll post more spots in the next few weeks!" I think October dates should be announced in a couple weeks then since this was from the 15th.
Do you think those were there only September slots? I only saw Friday appointments available the couple times I looked. Hmm, either way, they're full at the moment, so unfortunately you'll just have to wait and see. Their twitter is a good way to keep up with announcements and they're very responsive.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:25 am

Based on the tweet, I thought they didn't do many September interviews, and those few slots are gone. From what I understand the interviewers are either students or admissions staff, so it'd make sense to have pretty limited September availability. It's possible that there'll be more, but I kinda doubt it.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:33 am

Samara wrote:
tmon wrote:So is the guy consensus for NU interviews a suit? Thought I saw a thread recently where people were railing on the idea and everyone seemed more of the "khakis and nice shirt/sweater/whatever" idea. I could be confusing it for a different thread topic though. Seems like for a full on interview you could step it up from that but I'm really not sure. People say it's better to overdress but I did that for a job interview once and felt like a tool.
Yeah, their FAQ keeps it vague, saying you should treat it like a "job interview." For me, suits are a must for job interviews, but I guess it depends on the job. That's why I like my khaki pants, tweed jacket combo because if I get there and it looks like it's going to be more casual, I can hang up the jacket and I'm instantly more casual. I'll be sure to add this to my interview guinea pig checklist.
I'm hoping to interview for a second job as a bartender. I won't wear a suit to that. For anything else, suit up

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:53 am

For people who are looking for off campus interviews, they just tweeted about spots being open in a few areas:

"We have limited space for staff interviews in Boston, DC, LA, San Fran, and Ithaca. Sign up via the Off-Campus request --LinkRemoved--.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:59 am

Samara wrote:
tmon wrote:
Do you think those were there only September slots? I only saw Friday appointments available the couple times I looked. Hmm, either way, they're full at the moment, so unfortunately you'll just have to wait and see. Their twitter is a good way to keep up with announcements and they're very responsive.
Appreciate the feedback. Didn't even know they had a twitter. Love TLS.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:19 pm

tmon wrote:For people who are looking for off campus interviews, they just tweeted about spots being open in a few areas:

"We have limited space for staff interviews in Boston, DC, LA, San Fran, and Ithaca. Sign up via the Off-Campus request --LinkRemoved--.
I don't use Twitter. Let me know when October spots open t.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:58 pm

Is it better to do the interview on campus or is off campus just as good? I might as well just sign up for SF in October. Also, why Ithaca? :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:07 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
tmon wrote:For people who are looking for off campus interviews, they just tweeted about spots being open in a few areas:

I don't use Twitter. Let me know when October spots open t.
Yeah, I only recently got on twitter and much of the motivation was to follow law school admissions. Between myself and tmon, we can keep people updated here on the twitter happenings.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Strange wrote:Is it better to do the interview on campus or is off campus just as good? I might as well just sign up for SF in October. Also, why Ithaca? :?
They're supposedly equal, but with on-campus, you get the benefit of having the visit as well. If you've already visited or plan to visit before applying, I would say it doesn't matter

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:09 pm

Strange wrote:Is it better to do the interview on campus or is off campus just as good? I might as well just sign up for SF in October. Also, why Ithaca? :?
I'm assuming Ithaca because a faculty or staff member is doing something at Cornell. *shrug*

I can't imagine off-campus with a staff member is any different from an on-campus with a staff member. I'm sure they both follow the same script. From what I've heard, off-campus interviews with alumni are often more casual, but I don't know that they have any difference in impact. It's all pretty standardized.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:36 pm

Samara wrote:
I'm assuming Ithaca because a faculty or staff member is doing something at Cornell. *shrug*

I can't imagine off-campus with a staff member is any different from an on-campus with a staff member. I'm sure they both follow the same script. From what I've heard, off-campus interviews with alumni are often more casual, but I don't know that they have any difference in impact. It's all pretty standardized.
Never mind, I forgot that ED requires on campus. I guess I'll just wait to register until after the LSAT

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Strange wrote:
Samara wrote:

Never mind, I forgot that ED requires on campus. I guess I'll just wait to register until after the LSAT
Just don't forget the last day to interview for ED is November 15th! (:

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Strange wrote:
Samara wrote:

Since these off-campus interviews are with staff maybe they will accept them for ED if you call and ask?

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Samara wrote:
Strange wrote:
Samara wrote:

Since these off-campus interviews are with staff maybe they will accept them for ED if you call and ask?
Good point, I may try calling them this week. Just trying to avoid threads like these and not think about NU until after the LSAT :?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Just called the admissions office and they told me that CPEs are no more! :shock:

From now on, the CPE form will only be used for the accelerated JD program. Hey, one less thing to do! I wonder if LORs will still be "optional?"

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:33 pm

Samara wrote:Just called the admissions office and they told me that CPEs are no more! :shock:

From now on, the CPE form will only be used for the accelerated JD program. Hey, one less thing to do! I wonder if LORs will still be "optional?"
Glad I've been procrastinating on asking my person. Maybe they'll want the LSAC eval instead? That seems redundant. Weird...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:35 pm

Interesting, I'll tell my leftover LOR person not to worry about it. Thanks for the info Samara!

dakure

Bronze

Post by dakure » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Can anyone call to confirm? Not that I don't trust Samara, I do, but I just want to make sure the herp derp at the front desk didn't mess up.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:49 pm

dakure wrote:Can anyone call to confirm? Not that I don't trust Samara, I do, but I just want to make sure the herp derp at the front desk didn't mess up.
Haha, I understand. I'm inclined to believe him though since on the website there is a link for CPEs under "Accelerated JD" but not under "Regular JD." http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/applying/

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”