NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Flips88

Diamond

Re: NU (NW?) Apps '11-'12 - Congratulations RD Admits! <3

Post by Flips88 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:35 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Speaking of Johann... any word from our favorite tweeter today?
Johann wrote:when you send a fee waiver request, please make sure you are sending it to the right school-- the third time you send it.
Re: your tar

50 cent was shot 9 times in his chest, legs, and face and left for dead. Teddy was shot once and the bullet passed through a steel glasses case and a book before it hit him so it was so slowed down it didn't make it very far into his chest. That poster is dumb.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:41 pm

Flips88 wrote:
JDizzle2015 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote:Speaking of Johann... any word from our favorite tweeter today?
Johann wrote:when you send a fee waiver request, please make sure you are sending it to the right school-- the third time you send it.
Re: your tar

50 cent was shot 9 times in his chest, legs, and face and left for dead. Teddy was shot once and the bullet passed through a steel glasses case and a book before it hit him so it was so slowed down it didn't make it very far into his chest. That poster is dumb.

Also relevant: Teddy Roosevelt mattered.

driver2012

New

Post by driver2012 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:48 pm

JustE wrote:
STLMizzou wrote:
It could be optional for many reasons:
1. Because it is one less thing for them to read for the auto admits/auto rejects.
2. Because it makes people on the fence about NU research it and potentially find something about the school they really love
3. It could be a test to see who wants to go there vs. people just throwing out apps to every school they get a waiver too fishing for acceptances
4. They are intrigued about what students find attractive about their school to better highlight those factors for next year’s recruitment.
5. They are sadistic people who enjoy making students beg for their supper.

No matter the reason, if an adcom says he wants something in an app, you should probably put that thing in the app.
This is pretty obvious... :lol:
Yeah. It just seems like they want their cake and to eat it too (and I'm not picking on NW here, it's every school).

The vast majority of law schools accept their students based on their numbers, regardless of how kick ass their reason is for going to that school.

The vast majority of 0Ls pick a school based on money and rank/prestige, not necessarily on any substantive feature of the school.

I have more confidence than ever (having gone through half a cycle) that no school treats this as a pure numbers game, but I also have more confidence than ever that every school treats this primarily as a numbers game. Obviously I don't have the proof that they don't use these essays, but I would rejoin "Why even have the 'Why X?' essay if it rarely ever helps marginal candidates, and most people get in without or without respect to what the essays contain?"

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Flips88 wrote: Re: your tar

TheMoreYouKnow.jpg
I, and I would wager most of us, wouldn't finish a speech if a bullet even grazed the chest. Just saying.

chill

Bronze

Post by chill » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Let's say hypothetically I didn't submit a separate Why NU essay but did tailor my PS to include a why NU paragraph. Should I hypothetically submit a separate Why NU essay now? I might also be submitting a resume update later this week-- should I wait and submit those together? I'm waiting on a final interview (for a job) that's been pushed back twice now, and I don't want to hold off on submitting a Why NU and miss out on my chance.

So, hivemind, should I:
1) Send off a Why NU essay today, with apologies?
2) Wait until I get the job (reasonably confident I will), submit the resume + Why NU + a box of handwarmers for the poor, cold adcomms cookies all at once?
3) Stop worrying and learn to love the wait?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:04 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
Flips88 wrote: Re: your tar

TheMoreYouKnow.jpg
I, and I would wager most of us, wouldn't finish a speech if a bullet even grazed the chest shots were fired. Just saying.
ftfy

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:06 pm

touche.

Unrelated note... every day I'm closer to committing to M. :( I want NU so badly!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:11 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:touche.

Unrelated note... every day I'm closer to committing to M. :( I want NU so badly!
I know the feeling. I still want NU, but GULC wants me, and is seductive to a politinerd like myself.

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Interview tomorrow!! Excited to finally join the waiting game with the rest of you :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:53 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
80eight wrote:I thought I had a decent shot at Northwestern with my 3.5x/17x/softs and work experience. I did the interview and wrote a Why NU, but I'm still stuck at 10/4 complete. Oh well :( .
I'm in a very similar position. Hopefully we get in soon!!
Jam, if you don't get in, there is NO LOGIC TO THIS WORLD.
ConfidenceMan2 wrote:Flying to Chicago this week for the interview. Nervous excitement.
YOU'RE GOING TO ROCK THIS!! I KNOW IT!
chill wrote:Let's say hypothetically I didn't submit a separate Why NU essay but did tailor my PS to include a why NU paragraph. Should I hypothetically submit a separate Why NU essay now? I might also be submitting a resume update later this week-- should I wait and submit those together? I'm waiting on a final interview (for a job) that's been pushed back twice now, and I don't want to hold off on submitting a Why NU and miss out on my chance.

So, hivemind, should I:
1) Send off a Why NU essay today, with apologies?
2) Wait until I get the job (reasonably confident I will), submit the resume + Why NU + a box of handwarmers for the poor, cold adcomms cookies all at once?
3) Stop worrying and learn to love the wait?
Send the resume and the Why NU together. Don't apologize for not sending the Why NU in earlier, it will just call attention to that fact. GOOD LUCK. I am very confident you'll get in. <3

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:28 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
80eight wrote:I thought I had a decent shot at Northwestern with my 3.5x/17x/softs and work experience. I did the interview and wrote a Why NU, but I'm still stuck at 10/4 complete. Oh well :( .
unless schools are more holistic than we give them credit for.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:40 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
I mean, do you really think you're at that much of a disadvantage if they're more holistic? What softs do you have?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:22 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote: Jam, if you don't get in, there is NO LOGIC TO THIS WORLD.
I mean, do you really think you're at that much of a disadvantage if they're more holistic? What softs do you have?
a little bit of uninteresting WE. Some clubs and a couple internships. Definitely below average compared to other applicants

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:17 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote: Jam, if you don't get in, there is NO LOGIC TO THIS WORLD.
a little bit of uninteresting WE. Some clubs and a couple internships. Definitely below average compared to other applicants
My resume had two summer jobs and three clubs. I think you're fine as far as softs go. Maybe just YP for a few of these schools.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:34 pm

UnamSanctam wrote: My resume had two summer jobs and three clubs. I think you're fine as far as softs go. Maybe just YP for a few of these schools.
yeah, I was talking to redacted and showed him my resume. He thought it looked OK, and with 10 people editing my PS, I'm sure it's at least decent. I'm really not sure what's going on. I know I don't have anything that sets me apart from other applicants, but I don't think there's anything that hurts me either

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:40 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote: My resume had two summer jobs and three clubs. I think you're fine as far as softs go. Maybe just YP for a few of these schools.
yeah, I was talking to redacted and showed him my resume. He thought it looked OK, and with 10 people editing my PS, I'm sure it's at least decent. I'm really not sure what's going on. I know I don't have anything that sets me apart from other applicants, but I don't think there's anything that hurts me either
I honestly don't understand what's going on. All I can think is: they're all trying to figure out how much $$$$ to tempt you with. <3

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:42 pm

1. See new tweet from Johann
2. Get excited for new decisions
3. Find out its about additional on-campus IV spots
4. ???
5. Sadness

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:54 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
I honestly don't understand what's going on. All I can think is: they're all trying to figure out how much $$$$ to tempt you with. <3
that would be totally OK with me!

hellothisisme

Bronze

Post by hellothisisme » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:16 pm

So my work experience is not good enough for Northwestern. I know it is not. I have no full-time WE.

I originally was not planning on applying to NU, but since I got an unsolicited fee waiver from them, I figured I might as well throw them an app and see what happens. I really doubt I'll get in, but you never know.

The thing is, would it be really bad if I decided not to request an interview? Getting to campus would not be an issue for me but I just feel that since my likelihood of getting accepted is so slim (the softs that I DO have are average-to-below-average anyway) what would be the point? I don't know what I would discuss, since they probably spend their interviews talking about work experience/softs a ton.

A NU acceptance would be a pleasant surprise but not getting in would not faze me at all, since it is what I fully expect.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:20 pm

hellothisisme wrote:So my work experience is not good enough for Northwestern. I know it is not. I have no full-time WE.

I originally was not planning on applying to NU, but since I got an unsolicited fee waiver from them, I figured I might as well throw them an app and see what happens. I really doubt I'll get in, but you never know.

The thing is, would it be really bad if I decided not to request an interview? Getting to campus would not be an issue for me but I just feel that since my likelihood of getting accepted is so slim (the softs that I DO have are average-to-below-average anyway) what would be the point? I don't know what I would discuss, since they probably spend their interviews talking about work experience/softs a ton.

A NU acceptance would be a pleasant surprise but not getting in would not faze me at all, since it is what I fully expect.
They've said that without WE, the interview is pretty much essential.

So your small chance of acceptance would drop to virtually zero, since they wouldn't get to talk to you in their favorite format to judge "maturity."
Johann Lee wrote:As to how disadvantaged is someone right from undergrad, yeah, there is a slight disadvantage. However, if you are applying straight from undergrad, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of doing the evaluative interview as part of the application process. When we discuss work experience, what we are looking for are the things that work experience brings: maturity, strong career focus, good interpersonal skills, and the ability to work in groups in a professional setting. The interview process helps us answer those questions from those who are applying straight from undergrad.
I think the general overarching theme is that not all work experiences are created equally. For us at Northwestern, getting to know an applicant is really important — especially if an applicant thinks they do not have strong post-graduate work experience — I strongly suggest that all undergrad applicants do the interview, because that’s a way for the applicant to demonstrate to the admissions committee that they have the types of intangible qualities that we’re looking for out of our students.

bbalcrzy23

Bronze

Post by bbalcrzy23 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:11 am

According to LSN last year, we should see some decisions tomorrow!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:02 pm

From what I can tell there is zero reason to spend the $16 application fee if you have no intention of interviewing. My interviewer was a super nice undergrad, and most the time we talked about my campus leadership experience rather than my work experience. She really let me steer the conversation to the things I wanted to highlight rather than super specific questions. (Why NU/ What leadership experience do you have/ what would you bring to NU/ why law/ etc…)

As far as decisions go, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for myself as well as everybody else in this thread!

nametaken

Bronze

Post by nametaken » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Just had my interview!! I think it went well, so fingers crossed. Hopefully more acceptances for everyone else start soon!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:32 pm

STLMizzou wrote:From what I can tell there is zero reason to spend the $16 application fee if you have no intention of interviewing. My interviewer was a super nice undergrad, and most the time we talked about my campus leadership experience rather than my work experience. She really let me steer the conversation to the things I wanted to highlight rather than super specific questions. (Why NU/ What leadership experience do you have/ what would you bring to NU/ why law/ etc…)

As far as decisions go, I will be keeping my fingers crossed for myself as well as everybody else in this thread!
I didn't interview and didn't write a Why NU. But A)I have 8 years WE, and B)I am still surprised they let me in. :P So don't use me as an example!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:56 pm

bbalcrzy23 wrote:According to LSN last year, we should see some decisions tomorrow the rest of us should get in tomorrow!!

FIXED

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”