NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lsatcrazy

Bronze

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Post by lsatcrazy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:08 am

Samara wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:
Samara wrote:
lsatcrazy wrote:Still not sure if it is worth the effort to apply with zero w/e. I have the numbers (3.97/172), but
a) I can't interview until Dec. 23rd, which isn't even available yet...
b) Again, zero w/e...
Any thoughts?
You'll get into a lot of higher-ranked schools than Northwestern with those numbers. Is there a particular reason you want to apply?
Chicago is far and away the best place for me to go to LS...already have apartment/connections...
You're above both medians at UChi, so you should be fine there. I guess if you really want a Chicago backup plan, it's worth it. Not everyonehas WE. You should be able to get a fee waiver too. Can you do off-campus interview?
Possibly, but I seem to remember reading on their website that for applicants with no w/e the interview is super-important (and presumably done on campus...).

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:24 am

lsatcrazy wrote:Chicago is far and away the best place for me to go to LS...already have apartment/connections...
A few things:

1) You have the numbers to be competitive for a Rubenstein (full ride scholly) at UChicago
2) NU allows you to interview off campus if you're not applying ED (which you should not)
3) There is no three, it just feels awkward making lists of two.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:37 am

lsatcrazy wrote: Possibly, but I seem to remember reading on their website that for applicants with no w/e the interview is super-important (and presumably done on campus...).
On-campus is only important for ED candidates. Also, everything Crumps said.

Nulli Secundus

Gold

Post by Nulli Secundus » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:35 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:NU just sent me a fee waiver. Wut?
You're applying this cycle and have high stats...I'd assume that's what they do with most people with those requirements?
I meant, many re-applicants last year complained about not receiving fee waivers for their second cycle, I guess they fixed it.

foxylaxy

Bronze

Post by foxylaxy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:54 am

Dolorous Edd wrote:Any splitters getting waivers. Wondering if I should ask for one or just wait. (2.97/177)
I got a waiver in September. 3.5/171. I think they sent me the e-mail AFTER I added them to my schools list on LSAC. You can also call and solicit a waiver.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mattbarnes123

New

Post by mattbarnes123 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:03 pm

I'm still just completed. Is anyone under review, RD?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:16 pm

Nulli Secundus wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
Nulli Secundus wrote:NU just sent me a fee waiver. Wut?
You're applying this cycle and have high stats...I'd assume that's what they do with most people with those requirements?
I meant, many re-applicants last year complained about not receiving fee waivers for their second cycle, I guess they fixed it.
NU doesn't do solicited waivers, or at least that's what they told me

barneytrouble

Bronze

Post by barneytrouble » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Guys has Johan or anyone else from NU indicated if the ED dates for acceptance/hold/deny notification will be different this year with the new ED thing? Or are we expecting the same as previous cycles?

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:24 pm

barneytrouble wrote:Guys has Johan or anyone else from NU indicated if the ED dates for acceptance/hold/deny notification will be different this year with the new ED thing? Or are we expecting the same as previous cycles?
I don't think they've said anything, but he said he's going to do a mailbag on G+ next week, so you could email the question. That seems like something they'd answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:34 pm

barneytrouble wrote:Guys has Johan or anyone else from NU indicated if the ED dates for acceptance/hold/deny notification will be different this year with the new ED thing? Or are we expecting the same as previous cycles?
He has not addressed this specifically, but said that the process will be basically the same.

Dolorous Edd

New

Post by Dolorous Edd » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:39 pm

This has probably already been answered, but does NU count work experience based on when you apply, or your theoretical experience total when you start?

I assume for actual reported stats they base it on the actual amount, but I'm wondering how admissions might look at it.

sanetruth

Bronze

Post by sanetruth » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Dolorous Edd wrote:This has probably already been answered, but does NU count work experience based on when you apply, or your theoretical experience total when you start?

I assume for actual reported stats they base it on the actual amount, but I'm wondering how admissions might look at it.
I can't think back specifically to NU's app, but most schools ask 'how many years of work experience will you have upon matriculation.' regardless of what NU's app asks, this is definitely what they're basing things on.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:05 pm

Totally srs question for people who live/have lived in Chicago: Can you buy Tillamook cheddar cheese in Chicago?

I can get it online, but it would literally be $28 for less cheese than I pay $8 for at Costco here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

skyblue

New

Post by skyblue » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:41 pm

Haven't lived in Chicago in years, but you can get everything there. It's the third largest city in the country! Hello, I can get Tillamook cheddar in a mid-size Texas town at the regular HEB grocery and at Costco. It's available most places nowadays.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:47 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Totally srs question for people who live/have lived in Chicago: Can you buy Tillamook cheddar cheese in Chicago?

I can get it online, but it would literally be $28 for less cheese than I pay $8 for at Costco here.
I recently moved just enough that I shop at a different grocery store. At either the old one (small, independent fresh market) or the new one (a Dominick's) I always bought Tillamook and it was basically the same price as the other stuff. We're out of cheddar right now, so I'll check next time I'm at the store, I think it was the old one though. Good cheese though :)

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 pm

tmon wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Totally srs question for people who live/have lived in Chicago: Can you buy Tillamook cheddar cheese in Chicago?

I recently moved just enough that I shop at a different grocery store. At either the old one (small, independent fresh market) or the new one (a Dominick's) I always bought Tillamook and it was basically the same price as the other stuff. We're out of cheddar right now, so I'll check next time I'm at the store, I think it was the old one though. Good cheese though :)
Awesome, thanks.

You too, skyblue. :)

hal20

New

Post by hal20 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:24 am

Just got off my phone interview. I'm abroad and my interviewer was an international NU alumna, but in the email I had accidentally addressed her as Mr. because I didn't recognize the gender of her name and it had come up masculine when I googled it. Oops :shock:

Thank goodness the interview was pleasant and laid-back, hopefully that made up for my serious faux pas...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:04 am

Edited: NVM.....I think I was thinking too hard.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:34 am

General outline of my Why Northwestern:

-opening few sentences that basically say aside from the stellar academic reputation and my desired location of chicago, i have other reasons.
-talk about law and social policy concentration, along with law and social policy journal
-talk about children and family justice center
-talk about how excited i am that Northwestern places an emphasis on work experience - would love the opportunity to learn from a class that has so many unique perspectives and years spent doing other substantial things prior to entering law school

does this sound okay? advice would be very much appreciated.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:47 am

emkay625 wrote:General outline of my Why Northwestern:

-opening few sentences that basically say aside from the stellar academic reputation and my desired location of chicago, i have other reasons.
-talk about law and social policy concentration, along with law and social policy journal
-talk about children and family justice center
-talk about how excited i am that Northwestern places an emphasis on work experience - would love the opportunity to learn from a class that has so many unique perspectives and years spent doing other substantial things prior to entering law school

does this sound okay? advice would be very much appreciated.
Sounds spot on to me

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:53 am

Samara wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
emkay625 wrote:So my second recommender mailed his rec letter yesterday. Which means it won't be processed by Nov. 1. Can I still submit before then (I was going to ED) and then once that is processed send it? (by the 15th completion deadline)?
I'm pretty sure (and correct me crumps if I'm wrong here) that the ED deadline is Dec 1 and the INTERVIEW deadline is Nov 15
Correct.
Sweet! Thanks. I don't know why I thought it was November 1.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aes6b

New

Post by aes6b » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:03 pm

SUBMITTED!
Eek! I'm so nervous...I probably reviewed the pdf preview at least 10 times before finally sending it.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:04 pm

I know Johann said that the optional essays weren't really optional. But is it worth it to write a diversity statement if you're not diverse? I'm a white, middle-class protestant female. For other schools I'm going to write one about having work experience, but that doesn't make me diverse at Northwestern. Should I BS one just so it's clear I made the effort or would it be better to go without one?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:07 pm

emkay625 wrote:I know Johann said that the optional essays weren't really optional. But is it worth it to write a diversity statement if you're not diverse? I'm a white, middle-class protestant female. For other schools I'm going to write one about having work experience, but that doesn't make me diverse at Northwestern. Should I BS one just so it's clear I made the effort or would it be better to go without one?
I didn't submit a DS. You're at least a woman, so you could churn out some feminist empowerment thing if you really wanted. :P I wouldn't worry about it. No DS is better than a weak DS.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:23 pm

emkay625 wrote:I know Johann said that the optional essays weren't really optional. But is it worth it to write a diversity statement if you're not diverse? I'm a white, middle-class protestant female. For other schools I'm going to write one about having work experience, but that doesn't make me diverse at Northwestern. Should I BS one just so it's clear I made the effort or would it be better to go without one?
Did you major or work in something male-dominated? That was one DS topic suggestion I saw for women who were engineers or whatever.

(I didn't write one, though I am female and an engineer.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”