NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Samara

Gold

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Post by Samara » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:24 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just fyi, NU 1L's have three or four mornings a week at 8:45. :-)
Eh, considering I've had to go to work at 8/8:30 for the past four years, I don't think this will be a problem. I'm sure I'll still bitch about it though.

ETA: Heh, this is a good pagetopper for me. If I've been outed to you Johann, please disregard this post. I would be more than pleased to get up for class at 8:45a.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:31 am

8:45 would be like paradise.....

cactuarX3

Silver

Post by cactuarX3 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:02 am

fingerscrossedxx wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:
fingerscrossedxx wrote:So I definitely get that there's an advantage, but I was just wondering how big this advantage was especially for getting jobs in the summer of 1L or 2L and if my one year office experience will do anything to help me :p
probably helps a little just due to learning how to work and act professionally in an office setting, but i imagine real professional experience (i.e. banking/consulting/research/etc.) probably helps more, especially if you worked on something that is related to the kind of law you want to do

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:15 am

I may be the only morning person ever? I was done with nearly all my UG classes, aside from senior year, at 12:45....

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 am

elibrarian wrote:I may be the only morning person ever? I was done with nearly all my UG classes, aside from senior year, at 12:45....
There's a reason the rest of us are splitters...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:02 am

Samara wrote:
elibrarian wrote:I may be the only morning person ever? I was done with nearly all my UG classes, aside from senior year, at 12:45....
There's a reason the rest of us are splitters...
Right, right. Keep forgetting.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:38 am

Johann decided to tweet just now... On a Friday in December...

Soiled my pants a bit... Not too noticeable...

A bit uncomfy... But I think I can manage...

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:55 am

His tweet sounds like it's describing this thread :)

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:42 am

franklyscarlet wrote:His tweet sounds like it's describing this thread :)
:lol: "Vortex of nutiness" is both an awesome phrase and an apt description for this site.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:48 am

What'd his tweet say? (Can't access Twitter....)

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:26 pm

emkay625 wrote:What'd his tweet say? (Can't access Twitter....)
tweetsbyjohann wrote: best line today (so far)- "vortex of nuttiness"
:]

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:29 pm

I had the early classes and am basically never late to work, but I am the least morning person EVER.

There's something very suspect about morning people... :wink:

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:38 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
I had the early classes and am basically never late to work, but I am the least morning person EVER.

If by something very suspect you mean something very awesome, then yes, yes indeed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:56 pm

elibrarian wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

If by something very suspect you mean something very awesome, then yes, yes indeed.
^This.

I love these convos:
Other person: "Gosh, thanks for meeting me so early."
Me: "...it's 9:30."

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:04 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote: I love these convos:
What comes before the three dots in that convo?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote: I love these convos:
What comes before the three dots in that convo?
They represent a pause that signifies my incredulity that 9:30 is sufficiently early to warrant an apologetic statement.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:22 pm

I still have trouble getting to my 9 AM work in the mornings, Genie, so don't make fun of us :lol:

But since 9 AM work for me = 7:40 wakeup time (just to shower, dress, and commute...not even enough time for breakfast unless i eat while driving :cry: ), I think I'll be okay as long as I live relatively close to the school :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:30 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I still have trouble getting to my 9 AM work in the mornings, Genie, so don't make fun of us :lol:

But since 9 AM work for me = 7:40 wakeup time (just to shower, dress, and commute...not even enough time for breakfast unless i eat while driving :cry: ), I think I'll be okay as long as I live relatively close to the school :D
I'm dreaming blissfully of a 5-10 minute walk to campus, instead of my current 35-minute drive to work at 8am. (Which isn't bad, but it does take a chunk out of my morning.)

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I still have trouble getting to my 9 AM work in the mornings, Genie, so don't make fun of us :lol:

I'm dreaming blissfully of a 5-10 minute walk to campus, instead of my current 35-minute drive to work at 8am. (Which isn't bad, but it does take a chunk out of my morning.)
You'll pay a lot for a small space if you go this route, just fyi.

I have an easy 20 min bus ride to school, and I get 2x the space for two-thirds or even half what people pay in streeterville.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

I have an easy 20 min bus ride to school, and I get 2x the space for two-thirds or even half what people pay in streeterville.
Oh, I know. But I really, really don't want to have to ride the bus (I get carsick really easily, especially when the motion of the vehicle is accompanied by the smell of cigarette smoke and/or vomit). I could do a train/subway, but definitely not a bus every day.
When I go out to apartment shop, I'll likely be looking right around campus and around the first couple of stops to the north on the red line. Possibly the brown line too, although it's a longer walk to campus from the nearest stop.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Oh, I know. But I really, really don't want to have to ride the bus (I get carsick really easily, especially when the motion of the vehicle is accompanied by the smell of cigarette smoke and/or vomit). I could do a train/subway, but definitely not a bus every day.
When I go out to apartment shop, I'll likely be looking right around campus and around the first couple of stops to the north on the red line. Possibly the brown line too, although it's a longer walk to campus from the nearest stop.
You've visited, I think, but for others ITT, the brown line is a tidy walk to the campus- about 20 minutes, and it's a windy cold 20 minutes. 10 minutes from the red line has been icky this week.

Also, in Chicago, trains are more smelly and weird than buses, generally.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:39 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:
emkay625 wrote:What'd his tweet say? (Can't access Twitter....)
tweetsbyjohann wrote: best line today (so far)- "vortex of nuttiness"
:]
Wait.. I just realized what this was... :shock: He's reading personal statements...

foxylaxy

Bronze

Post by foxylaxy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Oh, I know. But I really, really don't want to have to ride the bus (I get carsick really easily, especially when the motion of the vehicle is accompanied by the smell of cigarette smoke and/or vomit). I could do a train/subway, but definitely not a bus every day.
It's actually quite a long walk from the brown line. Over 10 blocks if you get off at the Chicago stop. Maybe I have short strides but it takes me more than 20 minutes. Alternatively, you could live off the brown line and head toward Belmont/Fullerton to transfer to the red line and get off at Chicago (which would cut your walk in half). Actually, if you don't mind a train commute, the red line is the only line that reaches all other lines all times of the day (well, unless the other line is closed), so you could live off any line. Just an idea. Those law books are no joke and I don't know how far you actually want to walk carrying them (especially in snow/wind).

Also, NU does have a private shuttle going to and from its Evanston campus. I know it has some stops between, like Loyola's Lake Shore campus (some NU students live there because it's cheaper than Evanston). Can't speak for the quality of the bus, but since it's private you'll be freer from strange smells. Unfortunately, they aren't smoother coach buses-they look like the CTA buses, but shorter and different colored, so you may still get carsick.

Other than that, I guess your best bet is to make friends at ASW. You can definitely get an apt at Streeterville and pay under $1000/month if you get a 3 or more bedroom apt and split the rent.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:54 pm

I love that Johann tweets about the PS' he reads. I wonder if the person who used that line follows his twitter.

splbagel

Bronze

Post by splbagel » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:57 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I love that Johann tweets about the PS' he reads. I wonder if the person who used that line follows his twitter.
On the other hand, what a slap in the face if s/he is later rejected.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”