NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:54 pm

Samara wrote:Maybe if we get together as a team, they'll let us all in under the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" principle. We can be like these guys:

If I had any photoshop skills, I'd change super to splitter. Also, I call Aquaman.
Ooooh yes. I'm unsure as to whether I'd prefer Batman or Wonder Woman.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:55 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:Maybe if we get together as a team, they'll let us all in under the "whole is greater than the sum of its parts" principle. We can be like these guys:

If I had any photoshop skills, I'd change super to splitter. Also, I call Aquaman.
Ooooh yes. I'm unsure as to whether I'd prefer Batman or Wonder Woman.
Can I be lady robin? All the crime fighting of batman, half the angst.

edit: but no pants, unfortunately.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:06 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:IDK, I think I'm pretty fucked with a sub-3.
Sub-3 here, NU class of 2014, non ED. I really really think the concerns in this thread are overblown. I don't think you can conclude by looking at the available data, and by the statements of people like Johann, that your only chance of getting in is ED if you're below a 3.0. I didn't come to that conclusion last year when I was considering an early decision application, mostly by looking at LSN over the years. Northwestern is not UVA.

I think the only way this would really cause problems for you guys is if it significantly increases the volume of qualified applicants to Northwestern, because otherwise there's no reason to make admissions standards stricter. I doubt it will. For one thing, the people who are in the running for scholarships are probably already going to apply anyway, if only for negotiation purposes, and in particular I doubt someone who wasn't planning to apply to Northwestern at all is suddenly going to be fine with an ED contract. For another thing, we all think applications are going to keep declining across the board, so any boost from this would have to counteract the overall expected decline. Maybe it will, but I doubt it.

Lastly, pm me if you're in Chicago for an interview and want to talk to a 1L. Which won't do you much good at this point, given that I don't know my elbow from a hole in the ground yet, but I am pretty happy so far. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:15 pm

Bumi wrote:Sub-3 here, NU class of 2014, non ED. I really really think the concerns in this thread are overblown. I don't think you can conclude by looking at the available data, and by the statements of people like Johann, that your only chance of getting in is ED if you're below a 3.0. I didn't come to that conclusion last year when I was considering an early decision application, mostly by looking at LSN over the years. Northwestern is not UVA.

I think the only way this would really cause problems for you guys is if it significantly increases the volume of qualified applicants to Northwestern, because otherwise there's no reason to make admissions standards stricter. I doubt it will. For one thing, the people who are in the running for scholarships are probably already going to apply anyway, if only for negotiation purposes, and in particular I doubt someone who wasn't planning to apply to Northwestern at all is suddenly going to be fine with an ED contract. For another thing, we all think applications are going to keep declining across the board, so any boost from this would have to counteract the overall expected decline. Maybe it will, but I doubt it.

Lastly, pm me if you're in Chicago for an interview and want to talk to a 1L. Which won't do you much good at this point, given that I don't know my elbow from a hole in the ground yet, but I am pretty happy so far. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.
Did you get in RD or off the WL? Just curious because it might give me an idea of how long they'd make me wait, if they don't auto-ding. Also what was your LSAT score? It's incredibly reassuring to hear that you got in with RD, so thanks for sharing.

I do think that it would increase the volume of candidates, though perhaps not enough to make tooooo much of a difference compared to their typical acceptance standards (that's what I'm hoping for, anyway). But what you're saying makes a lot of sense, so thanks for trying to calm us down. It's just hard to not jump to the worst conclusions when I was really banking on NU being the school I got into.

Annnd...PMing nao ^_^ (also I think you sent me a PM about renovations going on in the school that I never responded to because I suck at responding to PMs, so thanks for that info too <3 <3 )

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:18 pm

I think we need to calm the fuck down here, really. Those of us freaking out the most don't have a shot at NU unless we lock down the LSAT in 10 days (and I don't even then, since I have no WE. Why am I even ITT?)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:20 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Eugenie. Are you in the atrium now?
QFGenie has a new stalker :lol:
Haha too funny. I actually was not in the atrium at that moment. Alas! I don't check TLS at school very much, actually.

And bj, I think I might have guessed who you are... :oops:

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:53 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote: Did you get in RD or off the WL? Just curious because it might give me an idea of how long they'd make me wait, if they don't auto-ding. Also what was your LSAT score? It's incredibly reassuring to hear that you got in with RD, so thanks for sharing.

I do think that it would increase the volume of candidates, though perhaps not enough to make tooooo much of a difference compared to their typical acceptance standards (that's what I'm hoping for, anyway).
No waitlist, just 100% regular. I had the sort of LSAT and work experience you'd expect I would need with a GPA well under 3. I'm not a huge outlier vs. what you'll see on LSN over the years.

There might be more hail mary applications. But will there be lots of people above both NU medians who weren't planning on applying but who are now going to add an ED at NU? And who happen to have work experience? I dunno, maybe. I predict that the biggest impact is that instead of all the people who couldn't decide between MVPD and Northwestern at varying scholarships who were at my ASW (many of whom chose correctly, by the way), for 2015's ASW there will be more happy ED admits who are just there to drink and make friends.
Eugenie Danglars wrote:And bj, I think I might have guessed who you are... :oops:
I have no idea who any of the TLS 2Ls and 3Ls are. Then again, I barely know any 2Ls or 3Ls at all, unless they live with one of my 1L friends. I need to take bar review more seriously.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Bumi wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:And bj, I think I might have guessed who you are... :oops:
I have no idea who any of the TLS 2Ls and 3Ls are. Then again, I barely know any 2Ls or 3Ls at all, unless they live with one of my 1L friends. I need to take bar review more seriously.
Bar review is nutso. :0/

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Bumi wrote:I have no idea who any of the TLS 2Ls and 3Ls are. Then again, I barely know any 2Ls or 3Ls at all, unless they live with one of my 1L friends. I need to take bar review more seriously.
Have you 1L TLSers figured out who each other are? Anyone in the same sections? (How many sections are there, btw, three?)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:56 pm

The plot fucking thickens.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:58 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Bumi wrote:I have no idea who any of the TLS 2Ls and 3Ls are. Then again, I barely know any 2Ls or 3Ls at all, unless they live with one of my 1L friends. I need to take bar review more seriously.
Have you 1L TLSers figured out who each other are? Anyone in the same sections? (How many sections are there, btw, three?)
No, I don't have guesses about any of the other 1L's. And there's four sections :-)

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
I mean, some of the NU 1Ls posted their real identities in the Class of 2014 thread. The class is not making a big effort at anonymity. :wink:

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:55 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Bk and I sit next to each other in pretty much every class and Homestyle is in my section. I've met a handful of other 1L TLSers that aren't in my section.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:56 pm

I think FB has suggested half the TLS loungers to me at some point or another. It's particularly easy to figure out who's who if someone has picwhored before (surprisingly enough, people do actually picwhore on TLS with their fb profile picture... :lol: )

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:58 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:I think FB has suggested half the TLS loungers to me at some point or another. It's particularly easy to figure out who's who if someone has picwhored before (surprisingly enough, people do actually picwhore on TLS with their fb profile picture... :lol: )
+1, school info and profile pictures for suggested friends has ID'd about a dozen or so of the regular posters here.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:34 am

I can't believe i just took the time to do this, but...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:36 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

Oh my god. I don't even know how you did that. I considered shopping it but if I had it would've just been like...flat letters typed on top of the super like some ghetto POS. o_o You totes get Superman for that one :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:53 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

QFAwesome
lolNUlogo

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:58 am

Changed title. It's very long. Taking suggestions for wittier/shorter alternatives. :lol:

ETA: just realized 'splitter friends' has the acronym of 'SF'

my life, wtf...

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:08 am

Ok dudes. Hopefully you can help me stop panicking. leaving tomorrow for Chi.

For my interview I have: clothes and heels, resume, confirmation email with time and address on it... do I need other things for my interview?

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:24 am

franklyscarlet wrote:Ok dudes. Hopefully you can help me stop panicking. leaving tomorrow for Chi.

For my interview I have: clothes and heels, resume, confirmation email with time and address on it... do I need other things for my interview?
Bring extra copies of the resume, and a pair of shoes to change into afterwards? Also, plan out your 'how to get there' now so you don't have to worry. Also, have a beer afterwards and relax <3 (:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:22 am

franklyscarlet wrote:Ok dudes. Hopefully you can help me stop panicking. leaving tomorrow for Chi.

Notepad and pen, maybe? Also, plans to meet your favorite lurking 1L? :D

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:30 am

rinkrat19 wrote: Image
:lol: Awesome.

Ernert

Bronze

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Post by Ernert » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:03 am

Been creeping this thread a while... but checking in. Semi-splitter (lower gpa, higher lsat) but not like some of you sub 3, 174+. Just had my interview and I'm becoming more and more infatuated with this school. The interviewier (off-campus) was young, super chill, gave me lots of life advice and told me how to sell my WE, and was really sincere. Think it went about as well as it could have.

Chicago is an incredible city (I was there for HS and the food pics in this thread made me wanna cry), and the environment of the school/personalities of the students sound perfect. Only one year of WE (by the end of this year) so it's a heck of a reach for me, but here's to hoping.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:27 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

Notepad and pen, maybe? Also, plans to meet your favorite lurking 1L? :D
Carry/wear something conspicuous. Like maybe your Super Splitter friends costume :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”