NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fingerscrossedxx

Silver

Re: Northwestern Applicants '11-'12 (NOW WITH AWESOME POLL)

Post by fingerscrossedxx » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:34 pm

Yes indeed, this place is amazing for that price!

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:40 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Mmm bacon.

Ok, this is what I get half of for $725 a month 15-20 min from school. :-)
Where is this? I think your kitchen is the size of my entire apartment...
Ukrainian Village/West Town (just far enough south of the hipsters in Wicker Park to still be affordable). It's a great location because the 66 runs right by my block, and it's just a 9 minute walk to the blue line trains.
Errrr... I'm not really familiar with the area (or Chicago), but I guess being near the 66 is a good thing? :lol:

I love the place. How much extra a month do you imagine someone would spend on parking? Wondering if the extra expense of having a car (parking, gas, insurance) would erase the savings of living further away... Thoughts?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:06 pm

egirarde wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
elibrarian wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Mmm bacon.

Ok, this is what I get half of for $725 a month 15-20 min from school. :-)
Where is this? I think your kitchen is the size of my entire apartment...
Ukrainian Village/West Town (just far enough south of the hipsters in Wicker Park to still be affordable). It's a great location because the 66 runs right by my block, and it's just a 9 minute walk to the blue line trains.
Errrr... I'm not really familiar with the area (or Chicago), but I guess being near the 66 is a good thing? :lol:

I love the place. How much extra a month do you imagine someone would spend on parking? Wondering if the extra expense of having a car (parking, gas, insurance) would erase the savings of living further away... Thoughts?
Sorry- the 66 is the bus that runs E/W on Chicago (ie directly to NU Law). So yes, it's a good thing. My rent includes a single parking space off street behind our building. My roommate parks his car there. (The deal is I get the bigger room and he gets the parking space and the rent splits down the middle. And he sometimes drives me places ;-) )

You can save substantial money by living "farther out" but still on public transit. Chicago traffic is, by all accounts, awful. if you have a car and want to keep it, go for it, but I wouldn't count on driving to school. We get a "free" transit pass (comes with tuition), but you have to pay for parking at school. I dunno how much- a guy in my section said it was $400, but I'm not sure if that was per month/semester/year/decade or whatever.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote: Sorry- the 66 is the bus that runs E/W on Chicago (ie directly to NU Law). So yes, it's a good thing. My rent includes a single parking space off street behind our building. My roommate parks his car there. (The deal is I get the bigger room and he gets the parking space and the rent splits down the middle. And he sometimes drives me places ;-) )

You can save substantial money by living "farther out" but still on public transit. Chicago traffic is, by all accounts, awful. if you have a car and want to keep it, go for it, but I wouldn't count on driving to school. We get a "free" transit pass (comes with tuition), but you have to pay for parking at school. I dunno how much- a guy in my section said it was $400, but I'm not sure if that was per month/semester/year/decade or whatever.
Ah. Cool. Thanks! How did you find your place? CL?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:38 pm

egirarde wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote: Sorry- the 66 is the bus that runs E/W on Chicago (ie directly to NU Law). So yes, it's a good thing. My rent includes a single parking space off street behind our building. My roommate parks his car there. (The deal is I get the bigger room and he gets the parking space and the rent splits down the middle. And he sometimes drives me places ;-) )

Ah. Cool. Thanks! How did you find your place? CL?
Yes indeed. We looked at maybe three places and loved this so much that we snapped it right up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tdicks

Bronze

Post by tdicks » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:08 am

have my interview tomorrow, so i thought i'd check in with this thread. prepping for the interview/researching more about NU definitely made me more excited about this application! good luck to everyone (esp those waiting to hear back about ED)!

catmo

Bronze

Post by catmo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:40 pm

splbagel wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I love that Johann tweets about the PS' he reads. I wonder if the person who used that line follows his twitter.
On the other hand, what a slap in the face if s/he is later rejected.
What is Johann's twitter name?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:41 pm

catmo wrote:
splbagel wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:I love that Johann tweets about the PS' he reads. I wonder if the person who used that line follows his twitter.
tweetsbyjohann

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:53 pm

catmo wrote:
splbagel wrote:
Is that a PS line?

I wonder if the person who's it is has seen the tweet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Ok, this is what I get half of for $725 a month 15-20 min from school. :-)
Jesus that is a lucky find. My place is about the size of your living room and I am paying 875 after utilities/internet/cable. Granted, I am living in Gold Coast, around the 1000's dearborn, but still. Lucky find.

Also, I submitted my app yesterday so keeping my fingers crossed. My GPA is slightly below the 25th percentile, but I have a solid LSAT and a year of legal clerking experience, so I am hopeful but realistic with my expectations.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:01 pm

STLMizzou wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:Ok, this is what I get half of for $725 a month 15-20 min from school. :-)
Jesus that is a lucky find. My place is about the size of your living room and I am paying 875 after utilities/internet/cable. Granted, I am living in Gold Coast, around the 1000's dearborn, but still. Lucky find.

Also, I submitted my app yesterday so keeping my fingers crossed. My GPA is slightly below the 25th percentile, but I have a solid LSAT and a year of legal clerking experience, so I am hopeful but realistic with my expectations.
Good luck!

Also, it's not quite so lucky- there were quite a few comparable apts listed on CL when we were hunting, and we were constrained by the need to be close to two specific train/bus lines (one for me, one for the roomie). If you're only looking to be convenient to NU, it's not too bad.

It also helps if you can relocate a little early- our lease started in July, and there were a lot more available for Jul than for Aug/Sept apparently.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:49 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:It also helps if you can relocate a little early- our lease started in July, and there were a lot more available for Jul than for Aug/Sept apparently.
Food for thought. I'm tentatively aiming for moving around Aug 1 to have a couple of weeks to settle in (but to be able to work through June at least), but it may be worth starting a lease a little early.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:40 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:It also helps if you can relocate a little early- our lease started in July, and there were a lot more available for Jul than for Aug/Sept apparently.
Food for thought. I'm tentatively aiming for moving around Aug 1 to have a couple of weeks to settle in (but to be able to work through June at least), but it may be worth starting a lease a little early.
Hmmmm.... Good to know.... Might be hard to find a rommie that want's to move in July...

Then again, I still need to get in...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
If I get in (lolno) I would be raring to get there in July, so this is good to know!

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:04 pm

After apartment searching twice, Eugenie is definitely right. June/July leases are more plentiful than than others. That said, I found it a little harder to find a good deal in July than June....but that could be less of a trend and more just the selection that was available this year.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:10 pm

tmon wrote:After apartment searching twice, Eugenie is definitely right. June/July leases are more plentiful than than others. That said, I found it a little harder to find a good deal in July than June....but that could be less of a trend and more just the selection that was available this year.
hell, even better. If I get NU I'll be GTFO of Texas as quick as possible.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:19 pm

tmon wrote:After apartment searching twice, Eugenie is definitely right. June/July leases are more plentiful than than others. That said, I found it a little harder to find a good deal in July than June....but that could be less of a trend and more just the selection that was available this year.
If you are looking way (6 months) in advance, is it possible to get a place for as cheap?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:25 pm

And when I said our lease was for Jul, I totally meant June. My bad.
JamMasterJ wrote:
If you are looking way (6 months) in advance, is it possible to get a place for as cheap?
I don't know for sure, but I think the less desperate you are/the more time flex you have, the better.

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:29 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
I've only done July this year and June before that, so no personal experience there. However, I'm told that Summer is the peak time for people looking for places, and when it's not a peak time you're more likely to find good deals. However, I think it could also depend on the kinds of places you're looking at. A lot of the really big apartment buildings that are run by management groups who also have a bunch of other buildings seem to have have rates that are pretty inflexible.

But yeah, on the whole I'd think you could find a better deal earlier. I've been told that you should be finding and visiting your options about a month before move-in for best result, and earlier than that can be helpful to some extent too.

And definitely what Eugenie said. If you can start looking earlier than you need to, worst case scenario you just get to make sure you've found your best option...assuming you don't wait too long on places that become taken.

JustE

Silver

Post by JustE » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:35 pm

Awesome. Let the hunt begin. Please let me in!...

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:37 pm

egirarde wrote:Awesome. Let the hunt begin. Please let me in!...
I mean, if you already have a place, they have to let you in, right? ;-) (I wish it worked that way)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:08 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
The Chicago rental market is in flux so much that looking 6 months in advance is not very helpful. The best is 30 to 45 days away.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:10 pm

Flips88 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
The Chicago rental market is in flux so much that looking 6 months in advance is not very helpful. The best is 30 to 45 days away.
I know. I hate it because I've already been randomly looking around and found stuff I really like.

STLMizzou

Bronze

Post by STLMizzou » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:35 pm

Living here now, I would suggest you come up for a little bit and really look at the various neighborhoods and see what you like. I lived with family for a month before I found my place and it is small/expensive but in one of the best neighborhoods. I found it just by walking around the neighborhood and checking out the places with for rents signs out. It is perfect because it was a sublease, so I am only leased until July, so if i get in/ go to NW I can renew my lease and if not I am not stuck trying to find a sub.

If you don't know Chicago neighborhoods, start with gold coast/ Lincoln park if you want to be super close to campus. West burbs are cheaper and still nice. Wrigleyville will be loud all the time so if you are cool with that it is a great area. Don't go south city/hyde park. You will hate it

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:43 pm

STLMizzou wrote:Living here now, I would suggest you come up for a little bit and really look at the various neighborhoods and see what you like. I lived with family for a month before I found my place and it is small/expensive but in one of the best neighborhoods. I found it just by walking around the neighborhood and checking out the places with for rents signs out. It is perfect because it was a sublease, so I am only leased until July, so if i get in/ go to NW I can renew my lease and if not I am not stuck trying to find a sub.

If you don't know Chicago neighborhoods, start with gold coast/ Lincoln park if you want to be super close to campus. West burbs are cheaper and still nice. Wrigleyville will be loud all the time so if you are cool with that it is a great area. Don't go south city/hyde park. You will hate it
Also, the school is in Streeterville, so that's the closest of options. :-) Other places my classmates live include South Loop, Wicker Park, and Uptown. Some live in Andersonville (lesbian mecca) or Boystown (you get three guesses).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”