NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Samara

Gold

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Post by Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:51 am

soj wrote:Anyone's guess is good as mine, but NU is one of the most numbers-oriented schools in the T14, up there with UVA. I don't think they're concerned with losing moderate splitters to CCNMVP. More likely, they want to be as secure in their target medians as possible by locking in enough people at or above both their target medians through ED. When you consider that every school needs to have some people below both medians (e.g. URMs), the buffer of people at or above both medians needs to be pretty sizable. I'm actually pretty pessimistic about a moderate splitter's chances at NU ED. A 3.8/170 might have a better shot than 3.7/180.
I agree, 3.8/170 has a better shot than 3.7/180, but that's exactly my argument. The 3.7/180 is more CCN-secure than the 3.8/170. But either way, neither of those applicants are likely to apply NU ED because they will want to keep CCN open. NU Is not promoting the ED scholly hardly at all, so I think it will be a lot of people who are borderline at best at CCN.

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:54 am

Yeah, it confuses me that NU isn't promoting the shit out of its ED program. From what I've heard, many interviewees don't even know NU changed its ED program. :shock:

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:01 am

soj wrote:Yeah, it confuses me that NU isn't promoting the shit out of its ED program. From what I've heard, many interviewees don't even know NU changed its ED program. :shock:
lol inorite? It's confusing and kind of infuriating. I think it was basilseal or elibrarian who interviewed a week or two after it was announced and apparently they were only the second person to ask about it. I'm not mentioning it to them because I interviewed before the announcement and wasn't set on ED at the time, so I don't want it to look like I'm changing my mind just for a shot at the money.

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:38 am

At my interview I was told that about half the people she interviewed knew about it. Who knows how that sample applies to the whole pool.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:12 pm

Samara wrote:
soj wrote:Yeah, it confuses me that NU isn't promoting the shit out of its ED program. From what I've heard, many interviewees don't even know NU changed its ED program. :shock:
lol inorite? It's confusing and kind of infuriating. I think it was basilseal or elibrarian who interviewed a week or two after it was announced and apparently they were only the second person to ask about it. I'm not mentioning it to them because I interviewed before the announcement and wasn't set on ED at the time, so I don't want it to look like I'm changing my mind just for a shot at the money.
Yeah that was me. I think someone mentioned earlier how NU seemed as if they would prefer people who already had them at the top of their list rather than those who are only EDing for the monies. I mentioned in my interview how I was still trying to decide whether or not to ED and was encouraged to think about it, which I did, clearly. From the beginning of when I was considering to apply to law school I knew it would be a struggle between Chicago and NU so I'm actually glad that the new scholly made up my mind (at least for school preference, who knows if I'll get accepted to either).

I hope everyone is right about taking people at medians or just above it. NU can have my first born. For serious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:31 pm

soj wrote:Anyone's guess is good as mine, but NU is one of the most numbers-oriented schools in the T14, up there with UVA. I don't think they're concerned with losing moderate splitters to CCNMVP. More likely, they want to be as secure in their target medians as possible by locking in enough people at or above both their target medians through ED. When you consider that every school needs to have some people below both medians (e.g. URMs), the buffer of people at or above both medians needs to be pretty sizable. I'm actually pretty pessimistic about a moderate splitter's chances at NU ED. A 3.8/170 might have a better shot than 3.7/180.
I tend to agree with this. NU has thrown huge scholarships at median protectors (3.8+, 170+) in the past and too often been turned down. I think the goal of the new program is just to lock those people in.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:39 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
I tend to agree with this. NU has thrown huge scholarships at median protectors (3.8+, 170+) in the past and too often been turned down. I think the goal of the new program is just to lock those people in.
What are you doing ED-wise, Tiago?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:41 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
At this point I feel like I won't ED anywhere. But ask me again in an hour the answer might be different.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:42 pm

Jam, I think I'm going to join the Chi side too. Certainty is always good, it will be awesome having your cycle locked in, and it will put you in a prime position to get a good jerb after graduation. As much as I think it would be AWESOME to maybe be classmates, I think Chi is the better choice for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
At this point I feel like I won't ED anywhere. But ask me again in an hour the answer might be different.
I feel very similar (flip-flop wise).
crumpetsandtea wrote:Jam, I think I'm going to join the Chi side too. Certainty is always good, it will be awesome having your cycle locked in, and it will put you in a prime position to get a good jerb after graduation. As much as I think it would be AWESOME to maybe be classmates, I think Chi is the better choice for you.
Another thing that really sucks is I prefer the north side and really like NU when I visited (I should've visited Chi) and I'd really like to be at NU if you and Samara are there.

ETA: It def helps that you're endorsing the Chi side though

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:49 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Another thing that really sucks is I prefer the north side and really like NU when I visited (I should've visited Chi) and I'd really like to be at NU if you and Samara are there.

You don't HAVE to live in HP, I think Sentry and his wife are living outside of HP and just kinda commuting to school. Chi really is GORGEOUS though, and despite the fact that it's not downtown I think you'd still enjoy going there. They even have an ice-skating rink across from the LS!! :D

You should talk to Dany or Xifeng if you want to get pitched on the wonders of UChi ;) They <3 it a lot.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:51 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Another thing that really sucks is I prefer the north side and really like NU when I visited (I should've visited Chi) and I'd really like to be at NU if you and Samara are there.

You don't HAVE to live in HP, I think Sentry and his wife are living outside of HP and just kinda commuting to school. Chi really is GORGEOUS though, and despite the fact that it's not downtown I think you'd still enjoy going there. They even have an ice-skating rink across from the LS!! :D

You should talk to Dany or Xifeng if you want to get pitched on the wonders of UChi ;) They <3 it a lot.
Or just see a picture of their apartment :shock: :arrow: convinced.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:52 pm

JamMasterJ wrote: Another thing that really sucks is I prefer the north side and really like NU when I visited (I should've visited Chi) and I'd really like to be at NU if you and Samara are there.
:D It would be really great for the three of us to be there together, but I certainly understand the appeal of Chicago. FWIW, I stayed at UChi for three weeks as part of a high school summer program and I loved it there. The campus is really nice and you're still pretty close to the lake, the train and all that. Downtown is definitely better, but I liked Hyde Park a lot too.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:53 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

The skating rink is cool as is the whole Plaisance area.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:53 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:You should talk to Dany or Xifeng if you want to get pitched on the wonders of UChi ;) They <3 it a lot.
Or just see a picture of their apartment :shock: :arrow: convinced.
I stayed in their apartment when I visited...they are the best hosts ever. :mrgreen:
Samara wrote: :D It would be really great for the three of us to be there together, but I certainly understand the appeal of Chicago. FWIW, I stayed at UChi for three weeks as part of a high school summer program and I loved it there. The campus is really nice and you're still pretty close to the lake, the train and all that. Downtown is definitely better, but I liked Hyde Park a lot too.
Also, getting from HP to downtown is really really easy. There's a bus that goes straight from HP to Mich Avenue. It takes 40-ish minutes, but still...not bad at all. Even easier if you have a car, and I'd imagine keeping a car would be cheaper in HP than downtown (but that's just speculation).

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:54 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

I've heard about safety issues with HP. How legitimate of a concern is that type of thing?

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:55 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

I've heard about safety issues with HP. How legitimate of a concern is that type of thing?
Both d/x's apartment and muni's apartment building had excellent security.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:56 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

Yeah, I would seriously suggest not letting the location of the two schools become a primary consideration. Honestly, I'd rather commute to or live in a place outside of downtown. HP should be relatively cheaper and have less traffic. Public trans is good enough that you can get wherever you want without much more than a 30 or so minute ride. Safety around the school isn't that bad. At the end of the day Chicago is a city and all cities have crime. Once you're there you learn which blocks to not walk on at 3AM by yourself. And those blocks are completely spread out, north side, south side, doesn't matter.

For NU/UChi the location shouldn't be a determining factor.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:58 pm

tmon wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

Yeah, I would seriously suggest not letting the location of the two schools become a primary consideration. Honestly, I'd rather commute to or live in a place outside of downtown. HP should be relatively cheaper and have less traffic. Public trans is good enough that you can get wherever you want without much more than a 30 or so minute ride. Safety around the school isn't that bad. At the end of the day Chicago is a city and all cities have crime. Once you're there you learn which blocks to not walk on at 3AM by yourself. And those blocks are completely spread out, north side, south side, doesn't matter.

For NU/UChi the location shouldn't be a determining factor.
thanks T

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:58 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:

UChi patrols their own police around the surrounding neighborhood. It's much safer there than the rest of the southside. When I was there, we never had any safety issues. Just the normal city stuff like don't walk around strange places at night by yourself and stuff. If you have a little bit of street smarts, you'll be fine.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:58 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Both d/x's apartment and muni's apartment building had excellent security.
^ this. Also during the day the area seemed fine...I did go out once at like 9 or 10 on my own and it was a little sketch (drunk people cat-calling, that sort of thing) but I think it's just a matter of finding a good apt complex.

Also keep in mind you can move into the city after you graduate, so this is only for a few years.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:17 pm

J, what is drawing you toward Chi over NU?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:30 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:J, what is drawing you toward Chi over NU?
Better placement from lower in the class. Wider range of opportunities (i.e. clerkships and academia)

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:31 pm

Is academia something you want, or do you just want that opening and are neutral toward it?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:35 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:Is academia something you want, or do you just want that opening and are neutral toward it?
Something I've considered for the past few years. I am doing an academic-related internship and think that it would be something I'd enjoy. I know it's a bit of a pipe dream from anywhere except Yale, but I would really like to have the option.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”