NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
freestallion

Silver

Re: NU Applicants '11-'12 (ITT: We post pictures of Chi food)

Post by freestallion » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:18 pm

Samara wrote:
No13baby wrote:
freestallion wrote:Question for you all: I have my interview coming up soon, but I was wondering-- if we submit our application prior to the interview, does the interviewer see it or get a copy of it??
I called the admissions office and they told me the interviewer doesn't see your app. Presumably this only applies to the off-campus alumni interviews though.

(I just got a fee waiver so now I guess I'm checking in on this thread as well.)
It may apply to on-campus as well. Based on my interview, (I have not submitted my app yet) the questions were focused on my resume. We barely talked about my UG classes or stuff like that at all, so I think they just go off the resume and the little form you fill out.
Thanks! I might still wait to submit my application though, because for some reason I am nervous about them seeing the application and then asking more difficult questions based on what they read... haha

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:28 pm

freestallion wrote:
Samara wrote:
No13baby wrote:
freestallion wrote:Question for you all: I have my interview coming up soon, but I was wondering-- if we submit our application prior to the interview, does the interviewer see it or get a copy of it??
I called the admissions office and they told me the interviewer doesn't see your app. Presumably this only applies to the off-campus alumni interviews though.

(I just got a fee waiver so now I guess I'm checking in on this thread as well.)
It may apply to on-campus as well. Based on my interview, (I have not submitted my app yet) the questions were focused on my resume. We barely talked about my UG classes or stuff like that at all, so I think they just go off the resume and the little form you fill out.
Thanks! I might still wait to submit my application though, because for some reason I am nervous about them seeing the application and then asking more difficult questions based on what they read... haha
Yeah, I don't think you would be at any disadvantage by waiting. Good luck with the interview! Feel free to PM if you have any questions. Just remember, according to tweetsbyjohann, don't completely miss your interview, don't cancel one hour beforehand and don't use the work frickin'.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Samara wrote: Yeah, I don't think you would be at any disadvantage by waiting. Good luck with the interview! Feel free to PM if you have any questions. Just remember, according to tweetsbyjohann, don't completely miss your interview, don't cancel one hour beforehand and don't use the work frickin'.
:shock: facepalm

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:19 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Samara wrote: Yeah, I don't think you would be at any disadvantage by waiting. Good luck with the interview! Feel free to PM if you have any questions. Just remember, according to tweetsbyjohann, don't completely miss your interview, don't cancel one hour beforehand and don't use the work frickin'.
You'd be surprised. Also, please note that the "large water body" is Lake Michigan. Just so you don't have to ask a current student as one interviewee asked me today :/

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:20 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
You'd be surprised. Also, please note that the "large water body" is Lake Michigan. Just so you don't have to ask a current student as one interviewee asked me today :/
Oh dear.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:20 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
That is amazing. I hope they get in lololol

sea15

Bronze

Post by sea15 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:22 pm

So I need some advice. The absolute earliest I can interview is the first weekend of November. I hope to submit my app in the next couple of weeks, but, because of my job, can't interview until later. I have looked at the data and it seems like they don't start making a lot of offers until January anyway, so would this matter? Am I freaking out over nothing?

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:22 pm

sea15 wrote:So I need some advice. The absolute earliest I can interview is the first weekend of November. I hope to submit my app in the next couple of weeks, but, because of my job, can't interview until later. I have looked at the data and it seems like they don't start making a lot of offers until January anyway, so would this matter? Am I freaking out over nothing?
Can't you do an off campus interview?

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:23 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
That is amazing. I hope they get in lololol
To be fair, I think it was a "oh gosh I better make small talk and look socially competent" from an extremely nervous person. But still... Oh well. It made a happy in my day!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eichörnchen

Silver

Post by Eichörnchen » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:33 pm

:shock: I'd hate to see them when they are incompetent because that is rough hahaha.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:52 pm

Are they considering applying to a certain school on the south side? Because their social skills might be more on-par there.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Just so y'all know, Interview Qs section updated with some more questions! Take a look, remember to prepare well <3

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Thanks crumpts! This thread did wonders for my Why Northwestern (and will do wonders, I'm sure, for my interview). You're pretty rad for organizing all this information in one place.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sea15

Bronze

Post by sea15 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:25 pm

freestallion wrote:
sea15 wrote:So I need some advice. The absolute earliest I can interview is the first weekend of November. I hope to submit my app in the next couple of weeks, but, because of my job, can't interview until later. I have looked at the data and it seems like they don't start making a lot of offers until January anyway, so would this matter? Am I freaking out over nothing?
Can't you do an off campus interview?
I live in a very rural area, several hours away from the nearest city and Chicago is only a couple of hours past that, so I figured I would just make it all the way to Chicago. Though, is it possible to check where the closest interviewer is before I commit to an off-campus interview?

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:29 pm

Is not doing an interview a major disadvantage? I'm a tad below one median and a tad above the other, but I'm in a European country for this whole cycle and really would prefer not to have to travel a long distance (no idea if there are alumni anywhere nearby) to do one. I will have one year of work experience by the time I matriculate.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:35 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Is not doing an interview a major disadvantage? I'm a tad below one median and a tad above the other, but I'm in a European country for this whole cycle and really would prefer not to have to travel a long distance (no idea if there are alumni anywhere nearby) to do one. I will have one year of work experience by the time I matriculate.
They mention that if you're applying ED, the interview is very strongly suggested. I think if you're applying RD and you're out of the country, it wouldn't really affect your cycle. I think a lot of it is about demonstrating interest. If you called or emailed and asked about the possibility of doing an interview in Europe and followed up with it, who knows, it may fulfill that same goal of demonstrating interest, even if the interview never happens. Also, which median are you above? If you're above the LSAT median, I would worry a LOT less.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:41 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Is not doing an interview a major disadvantage? I'm a tad below one median and a tad above the other, but I'm in a European country for this whole cycle and really would prefer not to have to travel a long distance (no idea if there are alumni anywhere nearby) to do one. I will have one year of work experience by the time I matriculate.
Most applicants (~75%) do interview. It's one of Northwestern's "things," like WE. (I don't know if the percentage of accepted students who interview is higher or lower than that 75%.)

I would contact NU and see about interviewing with an alumnus somewhere in Europe. There have to be a few over there, right? :P Like someone else said, even if it doesn't work out, it would at least demonstrate your interest.

All that said, I didn't interview or write any supplemental essays. Slightly below median GPA, 75% LSAT, 8yrs WE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Samara wrote:They mention that if you're applying ED, the interview is very strongly suggested. I think if you're applying RD and you're out of the country, it wouldn't really affect your cycle. I think a lot of it is about demonstrating interest. If you called or emailed and asked about the possibility of doing an interview in Europe and followed up with it, who knows, it may fulfill that same goal of demonstrating interest, even if the interview never happens. Also, which median are you above? If you're above the LSAT median, I would worry a LOT less.
I don't think Real Madrid is applying ED, but just to clarify, an interview is not strongly suggested for ED, it is required. From their 'Request An Interview' page:
Early Decision JD Applicants
JD applicants who are applying through the binding Early Decision program are required to interview on campus before November 15. Telephone and Skype interviews are not available for applicants to these programs.
On-campus interviews should be scheduled through the On-Campus Interview Request site. Early Decision candidates may not interview off campus. Deadline: November 15
ETA: AJDs also are required to interview. JD-MBAs interview through Kellogg, not the LS.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:05 pm

A quick look through their off-campus interview page shows locations in Brussels, London, Madrid, Milan, and Paris, so there are a handful of European locations. (Not sure if you're in Madrid or you just like their soccer team.) Since you're applying internationally they'll probably be more forgiving if you don't interview, though.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:29 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Most applicants (~75%) do interview. It's one of Northwestern's "things," like WE. (I don't know if the percentage of accepted students who interview is higher or lower than that 75%.)

I would contact NU and see about interviewing with an alumnus somewhere in Europe. There have to be a few over there, right? :P Like someone else said, even if it doesn't work out, it would at least demonstrate your interest.

All that said, I didn't interview or write any supplemental essays. Slightly below median GPA, 75% LSAT, 8yrs WE.
IIRC the amount of people that are accepted who interviewed is very high (>75%), but I can't find out where I've saw that

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:49 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
Samara wrote:They mention that if you're applying ED, the interview is very strongly suggested. I think if you're applying RD and you're out of the country, it wouldn't really affect your cycle. I think a lot of it is about demonstrating interest. If you called or emailed and asked about the possibility of doing an interview in Europe and followed up with it, who knows, it may fulfill that same goal of demonstrating interest, even if the interview never happens. Also, which median are you above? If you're above the LSAT median, I would worry a LOT less.
I don't think Real Madrid is applying ED, but just to clarify, an interview is not strongly suggested for ED, it is required. From their 'Request An Interview' page:
Early Decision JD Applicants
JD applicants who are applying through the binding Early Decision program are required to interview on campus before November 15. Telephone and Skype interviews are not available for applicants to these programs.
On-campus interviews should be scheduled through the On-Campus Interview Request site. Early Decision candidates may not interview off campus. Deadline: November 15
ETA: AJDs also are required to interview. JD-MBAs interview through Kellogg, not the LS.
Ooh, thanks for the fix!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:42 pm

For those who've interviewed, how long was it?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:54 pm

RonnyDworkin wrote:For those who've interviewed, how long was it?
Just over a half hour.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:56 pm

Samara wrote:
Just over a half hour.
Do they ask those awkward "why do you wanna be a lawyer" questions?

RonnyDworkin

Bronze

Post by RonnyDworkin » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:10 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Samara wrote:
Just over a half hour.
Do they ask those awkward "why do you wanna be a lawyer" questions?

you bet ya! And of course... "Why NU?"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”