NU Apps '11-'12 - Good Luck Hold Candidates!!!! <3 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: NU '11-'12 Apps-Splitter Friends battle evil/rising medians

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:33 am

Opie wrote:
basilseal wrote:
Opie wrote:You guys have me all worried about my suit choice now. I have a black suit, but I very rarely wear it. I had planned to wear a charcoal DKNY suit with a tiny burgundy windowpane that is barely visible. Thoughts?
You're fine. I've always thought that black suits on people under 50 or so was a little dour. Makes you look like a mortician. Of course, admissions staff and hiring pros may disagree.
I agree. Black is for funerals, late weddings, and sometimes court. It's that last one that will get ya though. ;)

Many law firms are business casual most of the time anyway though, so I'm not that worried.
I just got a nice dark gray (charcoal) one. You'll be fine. Most people on here say that the gray suit is the most necessary one

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:35 pm

AFAIK, men should NOT wear black suits to business interviews (and by extension, application interviews)

tmon

Silver

Post by tmon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:46 pm

If we're equating LS interview attire with law job interview attire I feel like you guys might be underestimating how conservative (and maybe fashion inept :lol: ) things can be in this field. I think a black suit paired with a non-drab tie would probably be fine. It's probably not as ideal as navy or charcoal, but I don't think you should be frowned upon if you only have a black suit.

Nobody

Bronze

Post by Nobody » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:47 pm

I always grew up learning that Navy, for men at least, is the default suit color. That being said, I'd imagine that the interview isn't gonna hinge on your suit unless its egregiously bad.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:58 pm

There used to be a REALLY good thread called 'Pufer's Guide to Men's Suits' where an oldie poster went into great detail about the acceptability of various aspects of men's professional wear, but it's gone now ): I guess they archived it.

This might be helpful though: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 23&t=63606

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:03 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:There used to be a REALLY good thread called 'Pufer's Guide to Men's Suits' where an oldie poster went into great detail about the acceptability of various aspects of men's professional wear, but it's gone now ): I guess they archived it.

This might be helpful though: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 23&t=63606
Pufer shows up in that thread a lot too. He's got some solid advice

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:18 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:There used to be a REALLY good thread called 'Pufer's Guide to Men's Suits' where an oldie poster went into great detail about the acceptability of various aspects of men's professional wear, but it's gone now ): I guess they archived it.

Pufer shows up in that thread a lot too. He's got some solid advice
Pufer does have solid advice, but it's a bit over the top at times. If you only have a black suit, don't be afraid to wear it to an interview.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:38 pm

The link to the newest version of Pufer's guide is dead but his older one can be found here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p1696206

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:51 pm

bk187 wrote:

The link to the newest version of Pufer's guide is dead but his older one can be found here:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p1696206
Yesss that is exactly what I was looking for. You rock, BK.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:59 pm

Why hello, my darlings. Who knew you were all hiding from me over here??

I need a splitter friends tar, pls?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:23 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:Why hello, my darlings. Who knew you were all hiding from me over here??

Sure, when I get home tonight I'll make you one. If I survive this GHASTLY MONDAY at work. :x

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:19 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:Why hello, my darlings. Who knew you were all hiding from me over here??

Sure, when I get home tonight I'll make you one. If I survive this GHASTLY MONDAY at work. :x

<3 ty ty!! I hope you survive, and not only for selfish reasons! (ok, mostly for selfish reasons.)

theduffman

Bronze

Post by theduffman » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:21 pm

ooo! Can I have one as well?

Also considering applying ED to NU. I think the logic that we will just get rolled over to regular decision, and our chances will be boosted there makes a lot of sense. And of course, one could always get accepted ED which would be amazing :). Does anyone else feel differently about this?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:49 pm

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question.

I'm definitely applying ED, but have one concern. If you apply ED and then get rolled over into RD/deferred, is it still binding? I am married, and my husband will need to start looking for jobs around April/May. My concern is that I will get waitlisted and end up going someplace else, but then what if NU calls in like, say, July? Am I still obligated to attend?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 pm

emkay625 wrote:If you apply ED and then get rolled over into RD/deferred, is it still binding?
No.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:26 pm

imjustjoking22 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

<3 ty ty!! I hope you survive, and not only for selfish reasons! (ok, mostly for selfish reasons.)
lol thanks. :P Once the Aleve kicked in and the sinus headache faded, the day improved.
Here you go!
Image Image

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Buying a new suit for my interview next week and I'm seeking advice. I look TERRIBLE in black/gray suits because I am very pale and have mousy-colored brown hair. All of my suits are tan, brown, navy and red for this reason. This hasn't been an issue in the past because I've worked in marketing and education, two fields which do not give a flip if I wear a camel colored suit to interview in. Need I buy a black or gray suit? Or would there be another acceptable color? I am fairly certain I need to suck it up and just buy a black or gray suit, but has anyone else done their Northwestern interview in another color?

Sorry if this hijacks this thread a little.

Also, where did you guys stay when you interviewed? I still need to book a hotel and am seeking suggestions.
Hotels in Chicago are pretty expensive. I didn't interview, but when I visited Chicago before, I stayed in this hostel (LinkRemoved), and it was great.

Can you comment more about this hostel? Looking into booking it but I'm kind of a clean freak and I'm concerned about cleanliness.... as well as security since I could be leaving my laptop and tablet there... pm me if you want :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:29 am

Strange wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Buying a new suit for my interview next week and I'm seeking advice. I look TERRIBLE in black/gray suits because I am very pale and have mousy-colored brown hair. All of my suits are tan, brown, navy and red for this reason. This hasn't been an issue in the past because I've worked in marketing and education, two fields which do not give a flip if I wear a camel colored suit to interview in. Need I buy a black or gray suit? Or would there be another acceptable color? I am fairly certain I need to suck it up and just buy a black or gray suit, but has anyone else done their Northwestern interview in another color?

Sorry if this hijacks this thread a little.

Also, where did you guys stay when you interviewed? I still need to book a hotel and am seeking suggestions.
Hotels in Chicago are pretty expensive. I didn't interview, but when I visited Chicago before, I stayed in this hostel (LinkRemoved), and it was great.
It's super clean and safe. A lot of civic groups like Peace Corps have meetings and recruitment fairs there. Also, it's huge and kind of institutional feeling (in a good way). It's definitely not a mom and pop catch as catch can kind of place. If you concerned, you could buy both beds of a double room and be guaranteed to have it to yourself. There's lockers in the rooms, so even if you share, you'd have a safe place for your stuff. When I stayed there, the bathroom was super clean. Hope that helps!

Can you comment more about this hostel? Looking into booking it but I'm kind of a clean freak and I'm concerned about cleanliness.... as well as security since I could be leaving my laptop and tablet there... pm me if you want :)

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:46 am

I used to volunteer at HI. It's actually really nice as far as hostel go. There's a ton of security to get anywhere in the building (definitely more secure than a hotel in that respect) and is always very clean and put together. They also usually arrange pub crawls or cultural excursions into the city if you're at a loss for things to do. (typically very cute foreign ladies and gents attend these in herds as well, if you aren't FA and want to mingle.) There's another hostel in lincoln park (?) but HI is definitely the tops as far as Chicago hostels.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:19 pm

I would really like any sort of notification that NU has received my application. Email, snail mail, phone call, flare....

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:31 pm

elibrarian wrote:I would really like any sort of notification that NU has received my application. Email, snail mail, phone call, flare....
LOL can you imagine if they did flares.

That would be so cool... :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

imjustjoking22

Bronze

Post by imjustjoking22 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
imjustjoking22 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

lol thanks. :P Once the Aleve kicked in and the sinus headache faded, the day improved.
Here you go!
Image Image
<3 :)

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:29 pm

Application complete via status checker. No email though.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:49 pm

Opie wrote:You guys have me all worried about my suit choice now. I have a black suit, but I very rarely wear it. I had planned to wear a charcoal DKNY suit with a tiny burgundy windowpane that is barely visible. Thoughts?
Generally black is not a great option for interviews or work. Charcoal, gray, pinstripe, navy are more appropriate.

Anyone in this thread been sitting in on classes here? We've had several prospective students in our morning classes this week.

elibrarian

Bronze

Post by elibrarian » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:46 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
elibrarian wrote:I would really like any sort of notification that NU has received my application. Email, snail mail, phone call, flare....
LOL can you imagine if they did flares.

That would be so cool... :lol:
Personally, I think a flare acceptance would be best.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”