University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby Nova » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:45 pm

So are you choosing UMN or ASU??

PolySuyGuy
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby PolySuyGuy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:32 am

Nova wrote:So are you choosing UMN or ASU??



I don't have an acceptance from ASU. It looks like UMN is choosing me over ASU choosing me.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby Nova » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:25 am

PolySuyGuy wrote:
Nova wrote:So are you choosing UMN or ASU??



I don't have an acceptance from ASU. It looks like UMN is choosing me over ASU choosing me.


Great. See you in the fall! viewtopic.php?f=32&t=180738&start=225

otaibi26
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:40 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby otaibi26 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:22 pm

I just want to see if anyone else got an email like this and if I'm understanding it right (I don't think I am) before I contact UM. I'd been on the wait list for a very long time and yesterday I got an email saying:

"Thank you for your application and participation in the waitlist process at the University of Minnesota Law School. We have now concluded our admissions and I regret that we are unable to offer you a seat in the entering Fall 2012 class.

Our Admissions Committee was impressed with your application. If you are attending another law school this fall, I invite you to consider Minnesota Law as a transfer student after your first year. Due to the strength of your application, the Admissions Committee would grant you conditional transfer acceptance provided that you are in the top half of your current law school class, as indicated by your transcript or letter of good standing from your law school registrar. This conditional acceptance would also require submission of a transfer application and a review of your updated application materials, including a character and fitness statement, if applicable.

...Your first semester law school grades will be sufficient to begin the review of your complete application... All transfer admissions, including conditional acceptance is dependent on available space, so we encourage all transfer applicants to apply early when the application is available."

So does that mean that all I have to do is score in the top 50% and I'll be accepted (seems too easy) or is this just some email that they send out to everyone that gets rejected from the waitlist?

The email also stated that if I sent it in with my transfer application the fee would be waived.

User avatar
diegoforlan10
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby diegoforlan10 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:59 pm

otaibi26 wrote:I just want to see if anyone else got an email like this and if I'm understanding it right (I don't think I am) before I contact UM. I'd been on the wait list for a very long time and yesterday I got an email saying:

"Thank you for your application and participation in the waitlist process at the University of Minnesota Law School. We have now concluded our admissions and I regret that we are unable to offer you a seat in the entering Fall 2012 class.

Our Admissions Committee was impressed with your application. If you are attending another law school this fall, I invite you to consider Minnesota Law as a transfer student after your first year. Due to the strength of your application, the Admissions Committee would grant you conditional transfer acceptance provided that you are in the top half of your current law school class, as indicated by your transcript or letter of good standing from your law school registrar. This conditional acceptance would also require submission of a transfer application and a review of your updated application materials, including a character and fitness statement, if applicable.

...Your first semester law school grades will be sufficient to begin the review of your complete application... All transfer admissions, including conditional acceptance is dependent on available space, so we encourage all transfer applicants to apply early when the application is available."

So does that mean that all I have to do is score in the top 50% and I'll be accepted (seems too easy) or is this just some email that they send out to everyone that gets rejected from the waitlist?

The email also stated that if I sent it in with my transfer application the fee would be waived.


I received the same exact e-mail, and understood it to mean the same exact thing as you.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby Nova » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:28 am

otaibi26 wrote:So does that mean that all I have to do is score in the top 50% and I'll be accepted (seems too easy) or is this just some email that they send out to everyone that gets rejected from the waitlist?

The email also stated that if I sent it in with my transfer application the fee would be waived.


IDK. Does sound too easy. I wonder how many they sent. You should definitely contact them and report back.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby minnbills » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:07 am

If you don't mind me asking, what were your numbers? (to the people who got the email)

User avatar
maggielizer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby maggielizer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:26 am

I received the email with a 3.9/166. I'm not attending law school this fall (taking a year off to work and retake the LSAT), so I won't be taking advantage of the transfer offer, for what it's worth.

otaibi26
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:40 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby otaibi26 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:01 pm

What's throwing me off is that the email seems to contradict itself. On one hand they're saying that the only condition to my acceptance is that I am in the top 50% of my class but then a few lines down they're saying that the conditional acceptance depends on available space. That seems to defeat the whole purpose of a conditional acceptance because it was a lack of space in the first place that put me on the waitlist & got me denied.

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby TheThriller » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:11 pm

maggielizer wrote:I received the email with a 3.9/166. I'm not attending law school this fall (taking a year off to work and retake the LSAT), so I won't be taking advantage of the transfer offer, for what it's worth.


With those numbers?! When did you apply?

User avatar
maggielizer
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby maggielizer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:52 pm

TheThriller wrote:
maggielizer wrote:I received the email with a 3.9/166. I'm not attending law school this fall (taking a year off to work and retake the LSAT), so I won't be taking advantage of the transfer offer, for what it's worth.


With those numbers?! When did you apply?


Oh man, like...February? I decided on law school very late in the last cycle, haha.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”