University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
der_saeufer

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby der_saeufer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:10 pm

Jaeger wrote:Sounds like they called your bluff.

Hey, I had no decisions when I applied to UMN, and it's not as if I wasn't interested in going there (otherwise I wouldn't have spent the $16 and the time).... but in the meantime I'd already gotten a better offer, so I'm not going to cry over getting YP'd.

landla

Postby landla » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:46 pm

Not to be a jerk to those that this is referencing, but I wanted to put this information out there for anyone still nervously waiting.

I don't know if it is an odd YP or something, but I have numbers around what the people prior to this posted (saying they were WL for YP) and was admitted without writing a Why Minn essay. (Also no LOCI or such.) I also applied rather late (about a month ago - didn't decide I might be interested in the school until just before that, unfortunately).

If you have high numbers and are interested, don't lose hope!

Congrats to everyone else who was accepted today!!

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:02 am

Hope to see some of you at the March ASW!

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:05 am

ThreeRivers wrote:Hope to see some of you at the March ASW!

I'm planning on it.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:07 am

Jaeger wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Hope to see some of you at the March ASW!

I'm planning on it.

Just started looking at hotel / airport info about 30 minutes ago lol

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:10 am

I live in MN now so if you have any questions about the area/state, I'll try to answer them.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:16 am

Jaeger wrote:I live in MN now so if you have any questions about the area/state, I'll try to answer them.

The problem is, I know so little I don't even know where to start to ask lol

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:30 am

Well, the Twin Cities really are a fantastic place to live. As long as you're not averse to winter. You're from PA, so I'm assuming you can handle it. Cost of living really isn't too bad. You can probably easily find a nice, close 1 bedroom for under 1000 which is impossible in Chicago or DC, for example. If you're outdoorsy, southern and central Minnesota are a bore (unless you like fishing) but only a couple hours north is Duluth and Lake Superior (where I live now) and it has lots of awesome sights/things to do.

LuckyinLaw?

Postby LuckyinLaw? » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:55 am

Jaeger wrote:Well, the Twin Cities really are a fantastic place to live. As long as you're not averse to winter. You're from PA, so I'm assuming you can handle it. Cost of living really isn't too bad. You can probably easily find a nice, close 1 bedroom for under 1000 which is impossible in Chicago or DC, for example. If you're outdoorsy, southern and central Minnesota are a bore (unless you like fishing) but only a couple hours north is Duluth and Lake Superior (where I live now) and it has lots of awesome sights/things to do.

Is there decent public transportation? Would I be totally crazy to consider moving to the Twin Cities without a car?

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:21 am

LuckyinLaw? wrote:
Jaeger wrote:Well, the Twin Cities really are a fantastic place to live. As long as you're not averse to winter. You're from PA, so I'm assuming you can handle it. Cost of living really isn't too bad. You can probably easily find a nice, close 1 bedroom for under 1000 which is impossible in Chicago or DC, for example. If you're outdoorsy, southern and central Minnesota are a bore (unless you like fishing) but only a couple hours north is Duluth and Lake Superior (where I live now) and it has lots of awesome sights/things to do.

Is there decent public transportation? Would I be totally crazy to consider moving to the Twin Cities without a car?

It's definitely doable, depending on how close you are. Light rail is good, but limited. The buses are decent. The bike paths are excellent. So overall, good, but not great public transpo.

aten2080

Postby aten2080 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:11 am

Hey everyone,

Congrats on all the acceptances. Anyone planning on going to the April ASW? I just registered for it. Coming from Southern California. How's the weather there during April? I've lived in Cali my whole life so it's going to be quite an experience. Pretty excited about the change though.

wlee1220

Postby wlee1220 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:16 am

For any students at U of Minn out there, how are the career prospects looking for those interested in labor/employment law? My interest in labor law is one of the main reasons why I started looking into U of Minn in the first place. But I just got off the phone with one of my mentors who said it would be better to avoid U of Minn if I wanted any chance in the DC market in labor law.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:59 am

aten2080 wrote:Hey everyone,

Congrats on all the acceptances. Anyone planning on going to the April ASW? I just registered for it. Coming from Southern California. How's the weather there during April? I've lived in Cali my whole life so it's going to be quite an experience. Pretty excited about the change though.

The average highs for April are like high 50s and lows of high 30s. That said, it's been a weird and really warm winter so...

For any students at U of Minn out there, how are the career prospects looking for those interested in labor/employment law? My interest in labor law is one of the main reasons why I started looking into U of Minn in the first place. But I just got off the phone with one of my mentors who said it would be better to avoid U of Minn if I wanted any chance in the DC market in labor law.

What was your mentor's reasoning? I know the DC market is tough to crack for anyone outside of the T14, but...

MidwestJosh

Postby MidwestJosh » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:55 pm

wlee1220 wrote:For any students at U of Minn out there, how are the career prospects looking for those interested in labor/employment law? My interest in labor law is one of the main reasons why I started looking into U of Minn in the first place. But I just got off the phone with one of my mentors who said it would be better to avoid U of Minn if I wanted any chance in the DC market in labor law.

I'm a labor and employment concentration. I have a L&E job.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:59 pm

wlee1220 wrote:For any students at U of Minn out there, how are the career prospects looking for those interested in labor/employment law? My interest in labor law is one of the main reasons why I started looking into U of Minn in the first place. But I just got off the phone with one of my mentors who said it would be better to avoid U of Minn if I wanted any chance in the DC market in labor law.

He's right.. but DC is hard to crack at pretty much any school. Really need to go to the couple elite schools at very top for that

omninode

Postby omninode » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:02 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:

He's right.. but DC is hard to crack at pretty much any school. Really need to go to the couple elite schools at very top for that

It probably helps to go to a school in or near DC, I would think.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:03 pm

What about places to live? I'm definitely going to go on that little tour of areas around U of M during ASW, but does anyone here have any advice?

Looking for:
Lower cost (but not a crackhouse / infested rats or something)... decent but cheaper
Easy access / distance / time to school

Also the only other school I'm really considering has a place on admitted students site to create mini-profiles / look for other potential 0L roommates, I don't see anything like that for Minn. Does it exist? I'd rather do something alone those lines then do the whole craigs list thing. I'd prefer a roommate to help on costs

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:06 pm

omninode wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:

I'd imagine if one is dead-set on DC and can't make t14... schools like GW W&M and W&L would be better. I'm a 0L so a lot of this is guess work so TIFWIW, but on all the research I've done idk if I'd be that dead-set on DC for schools outside of very elite

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:What about places to live? I'm definitely going to go on that little tour of areas around U of M during ASW, but does anyone here have any advice?

Looking for:
Lower cost (but not a crackhouse / infested rats or something)... decent but cheaper
Easy access / distance / time to school

Also the only other school I'm really considering has a place on admitted students site to create mini-profiles / look for other potential 0L roommates, I don't see anything like that for Minn. Does it exist? I'd rather do something alone those lines then do the whole craigs list thing. I'd prefer a roommate to help on costs

I'd try this:

http://www.housing.umn.edu/index.html

I'd think the Prospect Park/Riverfront neighborhoods wouldn't be too bad. If you want to be where all the students are, try Dinkytown.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Jaeger wrote:Well, the Twin Cities really are a fantastic place to live. As long as you're not averse to winter. You're from PA, so I'm assuming you can handle it. .

Haha being from Pittsburgh I feel like I might be more afraid of the weather than others from warm climates (because Pittsburgh gets 2-3 days a year were it gets down to around 0 so unlike others in warmer climates I can imagine how much it consistently being there would suck lol

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:09 pm

Haha. I know your pain. I went from having maybe one day at or below 0, to a solid month of subzero (in Duluth)...I still haven't gotten used to it and don't know if I ever will.

wlee1220

Postby wlee1220 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:51 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
omninode wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:

I'd imagine if one is dead-set on DC and can't make t14... schools like GW W&M and W&L would be better. I'm a 0L so a lot of this is guess work so TIFWIW, but on all the research I've done idk if I'd be that dead-set on DC for schools outside of very elite

I'm not exactly dead set on DC. I really want to work for Ford and Harrison or Jackson Lewis and both of them have offices in Minneapolis. How does Minnesota fair in placing students with summer associate positions with these two firms?

dex8425

Postby dex8425 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:50 am

I just got waitlisted with a 3.62 and a 154. I just applied because I'm from the Twin Cities, and acceptance at the U would mean (hopefully) I could garner more scholarship money from William Mitchell and St. Thomas. I was quite shocked I didn't get rejected outright, obviously, especially this late in the cycle, but they got back to me in less than a month. Should I wait to get an actual decision from UMN before I try to negotiate scholarship offers with my tier 2/3 schools?

ashley12

Postby ashley12 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:25 pm

dex8425 wrote:I just got waitlisted with a 3.62 and a 154. I just applied because I'm from the Twin Cities, and acceptance at the U would mean (hopefully) I could garner more scholarship money from William Mitchell and St. Thomas. I was quite shocked I didn't get rejected outright, obviously, especially this late in the cycle, but they got back to me in less than a month. Should I wait to get an actual decision from UMN before I try to negotiate scholarship offers with my tier 2/3 schools?

I wouldn't wait. I would say you won't hear back from UMN for quite a few months, definitely after the seat deposit deadlines for your other schools. Negotiate away.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 pm

wlee1220 wrote:I'm not exactly dead set on DC. I really want to work for Ford and Harrison or Jackson Lewis and both of them have offices in Minneapolis. How does Minnesota fair in placing students with summer associate positions with these two firms?

I'm probably not the best person to talk about specifics (OL who's not from MN), I'd probably talk to MidWestJosh or some other UM student (or maybe even resident). Idk about specific companies, but imo some of the positives would be the 21 fortune 500 companies in MN

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”