University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MidwestJosh

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby MidwestJosh » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Schang1 wrote:Received $27,000 scholarship per year! Didn't expect this! Now I *might* consider this school..

Classy.

Schang1

Postby Schang1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 pm

oaken wrote:
Schang1 wrote:Received $27,000 scholarship per year! Didn't expect this! Now I *might* consider this school..

Can I ask what your numbers are? I see that my scholarship letter is in the mail and am just trying to guess while I wait...

EDIT: Also, congratulations!

Sure! It's 3.4/169.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:21 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:

Classy.

I don't really see anything wrong with his statement tbh.

I know you obviously are happy with Minnesota, but most people have some schools they'd only go to with a big scholly

BKCentral

Postby BKCentral » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:31 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
MidwestJosh wrote:

Classy.

I know you obviously are happy with Minnesota, but most people have some schools they'd only go to with a big scholly

Agreed. For me, $$ is key. Nothing against any school at all, but I'm sorry, I'm just not going to commit myself to a decade worth of paying back a large sum of loans. It's not only risky, it's possibly financial suicide. If it's not your top choice, then sometimes a large scholly is the only thing that will truly convince you to go to the school.

PS ThreeRivers I feel like I see you in almost all of my threads I post in.

croser

Postby croser » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:48 am

msblaw89 wrote:
Smumps wrote:
croser wrote:WL yesterday. :( 3.47 w/ academic honors, 170 first take, URM (female NA).

After looking over the past few pages I saw that perhaps it was because I didn't read the freaking directions and mention U of M in my PS like it says to on their website. Totally freaked out/mad at myself, however after looking back at the LSAC website directions for U of M it only says "It may be helpful to mention ..." which I didn't think necessary after already answering the Why U of M in the app itself with some pretty specific stuff. Not enough apparently??

Will write a Why U of M within the next few days and submit it. My question is did I totally screw myself over for scholarship money? Do they ever get $$ to people off the waitlist or is this a dumb question? Also, do they not touch the waitlist until April or if I send something now will they look at it again before then??

This is confusing to me. 3.47 is above their 25%, and 170 is above their 75%. The number of test takers is down this year, substantially. What the hell is going on? Is the applicant pool so strong that they can WL/Deny someone with these kind of numbers? I'm 3.5/171, and starting to think a WL is coming also. Someone explain this to me.

I honestly think there has to be something more to the story... of possibly a YP... a 170 3.47 URM would be a shoe in at HYS IMO

I got a KB2 today!! So I'm no longer freaking out about the UMN waitlist. Teaches me to be a little bit more humble though ... I definitely should have mentioned the school in my PS.

Good luck to everyone!!

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:00 am

BKCentral wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
MidwestJosh wrote:

Classy.

Agreed. For me, $$ is key. Nothing against any school at all, but I'm sorry, I'm just not going to commit myself to a decade worth of paying back a large sum of loans. It's not only risky, it's possibly financial suicide. If it's not your top choice, then sometimes a large scholly is the only thing that will truly convince you to go to the school.

PS ThreeRivers I feel like I see you in almost all of my threads I post in.

Haha I've noticed this as well (hard to miss the dancing banana lol). I'm guessing we're just applying to a lot of the same schools

MidwestJosh

Postby MidwestJosh » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:14 am

ThreeRivers wrote:I don't really see anything wrong with his statement tbh.

Trust me when I say I completely understand that reasoning. One might consider the the tone of such messages, however. Don't be the guy who walks into law school with self-entitlement and condescension dripping off your every word. And remember that anonymity on these forums is essentially non existent. At any rate - scholarship funds are tight and there are people all over this forum who would die to have a 2/3 scholarship. I'm suggesting some tact.

Best

daniel3.14

Postby daniel3.14 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:49 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
minnbills wrote:
EMZE wrote:I don't think any part of my application included the word Minnesota in it.. don't worry about that too much.

Anyone else totally get bummed out about UMN though after that dan pi guy gave his input? I was pretty pumped about the school until I paged through his thoughts.

Visit the school for yourself and speak to students first. If you're really worried about the building, don't just rely on the tour.

[....]

I mean it'd be nice to go to a cool looking building I guess, but I had this thought while in my UG class. I've taken classes in complete HELL HOLES, and classes in REALLY NICE BUILDINGS... didn't really effect my mood either way lol

Yeah, I'm a little bit sick of hearing people talking like the only thing I've said against the school was that it was physically ugly. Of course it is physically ugly, but I listed about a million other problems with the school. And I never once said that the physical disrepair of the dump was a major reason not come here. And yet time and time again, people act like that's the main thrust of my criticism. I've said from the very beginning that the condition of the building was a pretty minor detail in that list of faults.

Just to remind you what the problems with the school are: huge regional limitation, with miserable placement outside of its geographic niche (a geographic niche which cannot support the number of law students getting pumped out of the dump yearly); inflated jobs numbers and a shockingly small number of graduates getting legal work; the horribly unmotivated/unincentivized PP and LW adjuncts -- bottom feeders in the MN legal market, who are offered no prestige or perks for the job they do, and who are paid less than a pizza delivery boy; the forced purchase of a crappy laptop, for which the school overcharges by nearly double; the poorly thought out curriculum with insulting 1L lectures where they play children's videos for you and talk about what color paper they use in the MN legislature; the poorly thought out curriculum which led to a petition and threats of a walk-out, resulting in a graded course being changed to P/F mid-semester; the aging/broken/obsolete infrastructure, including WiFi that bugs out regularly, and classrooms that were state-of-the-art in the 1980s; and a horribly incompetent and unresponsive administration, which regards the students at the school as an inconvenience rather than the people they're paid to serve.

Come here, don't come here -- you've gotten your warning about the place from a current student (several of us, actually). When you realize you're stuck in the Kafkaesque nightmare, attending law school at pretty much the crappiest, most overrated institution in the country, then don't go saying you weren't warned. It's really lame to say, "Oh, I don't care about the physical condition of the school. It's the 597th most important thing on my list of priorities." I never said it should be any more important than that. The problem is that UMN sucks at the things you do think are important, which I've meticulously documented.

I mean, seriously... I realize that you don't mind that the school chains its furniture down like an inner city ghetto school, but do you really think that the administration--the same people who came up with the idea of chaining down their $15 plastic chairs--is meanwhile doing a great job about making sure its employment stats accurately reflect the success of its alum? Do you think they care about being honest to prospective students about the limitations and inadequacies of the school? Do you think they really want to make this school a better school?

More saliently: Do you think more than a handful of UMN grads manage to escape the region? Do you seriously think that the MN legal market can absorb 800+ law school grads annually? Even if you think that every UMN student gets priority of WM, UST, and HU (which is not the case -- the top 10% of those schools are surely doing better than the bottom 25% of UMN for local jobs, but even if!), that's still 250 lawyers entering a small market that's totally saturated, and who can't really go anywhere else. Even if you don't want to do Big Law -- it's not like there are any job opportunities for prosecutors or public defenders in this state.

Congrats if you got in, but if you have the luxury of choosing between several acceptances, you should strongly consider going elsewhere.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:13 am

daniel3.14 wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
minnbills wrote:
EMZE wrote:I don't think any part of my application included the word Minnesota in it.. don't worry about that too much.

Anyone else totally get bummed out about UMN though after that dan pi guy gave his input? I was pretty pumped about the school until I paged through his thoughts.

Visit the school for yourself and speak to students first. If you're really worried about the building, don't just rely on the tour.

[....]

I mean it'd be nice to go to a cool looking building I guess, but I had this thought while in my UG class. I've taken classes in complete HELL HOLES, and classes in REALLY NICE BUILDINGS... didn't really effect my mood either way lol

Yeah, I'm a little bit sick of hearing people talking like the only thing I've said against the school was that it was physically ugly. Of course it is physically ugly, but I listed about a million other problems with the school. And I never once said that the physical disrepair of the dump was a major reason not come here. And yet time and time again, people act like that's the main thrust of my criticism. I've said from the very beginning that the condition of the building was a pretty minor detail in that list of faults.

Just to remind you what the problems with the school are: huge regional limitation, with miserable placement outside of its geographic niche (a geographic niche which cannot support the number of law students getting pumped out of the dump yearly); inflated jobs numbers and a shockingly small number of graduates getting legal work; the horribly unmotivated/unincentivized PP and LW adjuncts -- bottom feeders in the MN legal market, who are offered no prestige or perks for the job they do, and who are paid less than a pizza delivery boy; the forced purchase of a crappy laptop, for which the school overcharges by nearly double; the poorly thought out curriculum with insulting 1L lectures where they play children's videos for you and talk about what color paper they use in the MN legislature; the poorly thought out curriculum which led to a petition and threats of a walk-out, resulting in a graded course being changed to P/F mid-semester; the aging/broken/obsolete infrastructure, including WiFi that bugs out regularly, and classrooms that were state-of-the-art in the 1980s; and a horribly incompetent and unresponsive administration, which regards the students at the school as an inconvenience rather than the people they're paid to serve.

Come here, don't come here -- you've gotten your warning about the place from a current student (several of us, actually). When you realize you're stuck in the Kafkaesque nightmare, attending law school at pretty much the crappiest, most overrated institution in the country, then don't go saying you weren't warned. It's really lame to say, "Oh, I don't care about the physical condition of the school. It's the 597th most important thing on my list of priorities." I never said it should be any more important than that. The problem is that UMN sucks at the things you do think are important, which I've meticulously documented.

I mean, seriously... I realize that you don't mind that the school chains its furniture down like an inner city ghetto school, but do you really think that the administration--the same people who came up with the idea of chaining down their $15 plastic chairs--is meanwhile doing a great job about making sure its employment stats accurately reflect the success of its alum? Do you think they care about being honest to prospective students about the limitations and inadequacies of the school? Do you think they really want to make this school a better school?

More saliently: Do you think more than a handful of UMN grads manage to escape the region? Do you seriously think that the MN legal market can absorb 800+ law school grads annually? Even if you think that every UMN student gets priority of WM, UST, and HU (which is not the case -- the top 10% of those schools are surely doing better than the bottom 25% of UMN for local jobs, but even if!), that's still 250 lawyers entering a small market that's totally saturated, and who can't really go anywhere else. Even if you don't want to do Big Law -- it's not like there are any job opportunities for prosecutors or public defenders in this state.

Congrats if you got in, but if you have the luxury of choosing between several acceptances, you should strongly consider going elsewhere.

Dude, your arguments are worth noting, but you're in the wrong thread. Read this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146613

"You and them and everyone else are all free to discuss whether or not attending is a good idea in the appropriate forum, not here. Starting or perpetuating arguments here about whether a school is worth attending may be deemed trolling and get you banned."

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:15 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:I don't really see anything wrong with his statement tbh.

Trust me when I say I completely understand that reasoning. One might consider the the tone of such messages, however. Don't be the guy who walks into law school with self-entitlement and condescension dripping off your every word. And remember that anonymity on these forums is essentially non existent. At any rate - scholarship funds are tight and there are people all over this forum who would die to have a 2/3 scholarship. I'm suggesting some tact.

Best

I'll agree with you then, often times its not what you say but how you say it (cliche but true)

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:16 pm

Dan your points have been well noted, but as pointed out this isn't the place for it

I'd imagine almost every active participant in this thread is also well aware of your points (and have considered them)

oaken

Postby oaken » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:24 pm

Schang1 wrote:
oaken wrote:

Can I ask what your numbers are? I see that my scholarship letter is in the mail and am just trying to guess while I wait...

EDIT: Also, congratulations!

Sure! It's 3.4/169.

Thanks! Mine are pretty similar so I'm crossing my fingers...

daniel3.14

Postby daniel3.14 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:23 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Dude, your arguments are worth noting, but you're in the wrong thread. Read this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146613

"You and them and everyone else are all free to discuss whether or not attending is a good idea in the appropriate forum, not here. Starting or perpetuating arguments here about whether a school is worth attending may be deemed trolling and get you banned."

I tend to avoid this thread for that reason. But my posts were mischaracterized here, which is what I was responding to, and anyway there are plenty of people here starting or perpetuating arguments about whether the school is worth attending. It's not like the above post is really any more argumentative than any of those.

That, and I wasn't trying to "start or perpetuate" an argument -- I was clarifying the record on what I wrote, which was being discussed here prior to my posting. Not looking to "perpetuate" any sort of discussion beyond that.
Last edited by daniel3.14 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Got my admit packed today, very pleased! Looking forward to meeting many of you at ASW!

MidwestJosh

Postby MidwestJosh » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:19 pm

minnbills wrote:Got my admit packed today, very pleased! Looking forward to meeting many of you at ASW!

Awesome. Speaking of ASW - I generally take a big group to the bars after the official events end on Friday. Don't forget your ID's - and try to keep up. ;-)

ljbreck

Postby ljbreck » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Just got my acceptance packet! Out of state, got $23,000/year in scholarships (just have to maintain 2.5 GPA). Stats: 3.9 GPA, 166 LSAT. Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to everyone who's in!

Worker and Parasite

Postby Worker and Parasite » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:26 pm

ljbreck wrote:Just got my acceptance packet! Out of state, got $23,000/year in scholarships (just have to maintain 2.5 GPA). Stats: 3.9 GPA, 166 LSAT. Good luck to everyone still waiting and congrats to everyone who's in!

I got the same scholly offer, sub 3.5, 170. Very nice packet of info for ASW too

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:45 pm

minnbills wrote:Got my admit packed today, very pleased! Looking forward to meeting many of you at ASW!

That was fast. Do you live near Minnesota?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:46 pm

msblaw89 wrote:

Haha I live 15 minutes south of campus.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:53 pm

minnbills wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:

Haha I live 15 minutes south of campus.

Alright guess I've got a while

MNbound

Postby MNbound » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:20 am

Still stuck on 11/9 for UMN but I did get a full scholarship to william mitchell. Makes it a lot more difficult to consider minnesota unless I get a scholarship, which is incredibly unlikely (165, 3.6)

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:33 am

MidwestJosh wrote:

Awesome. Speaking of ASW - I generally take a big group to the bars after the official events end on Friday. Don't forget your ID's - and try to keep up. ;-)

<Trying to remember to get in a group with a guy named Josh now 8) lol

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:53 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
MidwestJosh wrote:

<Trying to remember to get in a group with a guy named Josh now 8) lol

+1. Josh, we are having some drinks over ASW for sure

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Received admit packed w scholly in Pittsburgh today (was with most recent admits)

23 k a year, 2.5 stip

167 / 3.44

oaken

Postby oaken » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:19 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Received admit packed w scholly in Pittsburgh today (was with most recent admits)

23 k a year, 2.5 stip

167 / 3.44

Congrats dude.

I keep going out and checking my mailbox today but nothing yet.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”