University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
oaken
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:27 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby oaken » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:48 am

ThreeRivers wrote:someone else asked this, but didn't receive an answer so I'll re-ask since I'm curious as well lol

Financial Aid Information 12/13/2011
Scholarship Letter 12/12/2011
Letter of Admission 12/09/2011

Under mailings ^
Does that mean I'll receive a scholly?


It'd be hilarious if they mailed a letter just say that they're not going to offer you a scholarship

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby ThreeRivers » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:46 am

minnbills wrote:
EMZE wrote:I don't think any part of my application included the word Minnesota in it.. don't worry about that too much.

Anyone else totally get bummed out about UMN though after that dan pi guy gave his input? I was pretty pumped about the school until I paged through his thoughts.


Visit the school for yourself and speak to students first. If you're really worried about the building, don't just rely on the tour.

As someone who spent 3 years of undergrad in the building next door, I can tell you it's not that bad. It's not great, but I don't think it should be a huge deal. It is a public school after all.

Anyways, looking forward to meeting lots of you at asw!

Does anyone else completely not give a shit about how a building looks? I say this as no offense to anyone, I just see this being discussed way too much on TLS in general

My list of what matters to me:

1. Job prospects
2. If I would want to live in the area after graduation / if not what national reach does it have?
3. Price of school
4. Cost of living
5. How the students at the school are
6. Social life there
7. Things around the surrounding area
8. Professors
.....
.....
.....
597. How the building looks

I mean it'd be nice to go to a cool looking building I guess, but I had this thought while in my UG class. I've taken classes in complete HELL HOLES, and classes in REALLY NICE BUILDINGS... didn't really effect my mood either way lol

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby minnbills » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:57 am

Yeah I agree threerivers. It would be nice to go somewhere with an awesome building but it is not even in the same league of importance as some of the other factors you listed.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:23 am

Definitely doesn't really matter, but there are some aspects of a building that can make a difference. An open library with lots of natural light, for me personally, we be much more conducive to studying than a windowless basement with fluorescent lights. Same goes for classrooms.

It would be nice to have a beautiful and nice building (which UMN unfortunately doesn't have). But as has been pointed out, this matters very little compared to many other things.

User avatar
THATSHOWYOUGETANTS
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:43 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby THATSHOWYOUGETANTS » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:16 am

rejected today with a 3.72 and a 166. Disapointed but it's good to know I'm not the only one out there. my first letter back, now i just want an acceptance from somewhere to stop my worrying. oh and i don't know when my dates changed or anything sorry.

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby MidwestJosh » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:22 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:Definitely doesn't really matter, but there are some aspects of a building that can make a difference. An open library with lots of natural light, for me personally, we be much more conducive to studying than a windowless basement with fluorescent lights. Same goes for classrooms.

It would be nice to have a beautiful and nice building (which UMN unfortunately doesn't have). But as has been pointed out, this matters very little compared to many other things.



Have you been to our library? Seriously. and every one of our single section classrooms and almost all of our seminar rooms have a wall of windows. Maybe we need to post some legit pics to slow that roll. I agree that the building shouldn't matter but seriously people, umn law is NOT a bad building. We have the sixth/seventh (it goes back and forth) largest law library in the country, four floors with pretty much all of the seating along large bays of windows. We have three outdoor plazas, a lawn and a terrace, all private to the law school and with ample seating space. We have countless lounge and study areas bathed in light. We have a cafe with the same. It's not a drop dead gorgeous piece of architecture, don't' get me wrong - but holy hell there is far too much moaning and groaning about something that is not only insignificant but also entirely unfounded.

At any rate - visit the law school and I think you'll be incredibly surprised.

ps- not really directing this at you shredrrrr, just in general.

sherman422
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby sherman422 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:15 pm

fltanglab wrote:
sherman422 wrote:waitlisted today with 167/3.69. was not expecting this.


Oh no. When?


i got an e-mail yesterday afternoon. my application was complete 10/17.

User avatar
shredderrrrrr
Posts: 4673
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:36 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby shredderrrrrr » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:33 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:
shredderrrrrr wrote:Definitely doesn't really matter, but there are some aspects of a building that can make a difference. An open library with lots of natural light, for me personally, we be much more conducive to studying than a windowless basement with fluorescent lights. Same goes for classrooms.

It would be nice to have a beautiful and nice building (which UMN unfortunately doesn't have). But as has been pointed out, this matters very little compared to many other things.



Have you been to our library? Seriously. and every one of our single section classrooms and almost all of our seminar rooms have a wall of windows. Maybe we need to post some legit pics to slow that roll. I agree that the building shouldn't matter but seriously people, umn law is NOT a bad building. We have the sixth/seventh (it goes back and forth) largest law library in the country, four floors with pretty much all of the seating along large bays of windows. We have three outdoor plazas, a lawn and a terrace, all private to the law school and with ample seating space. We have countless lounge and study areas bathed in light. We have a cafe with the same. It's not a drop dead gorgeous piece of architecture, don't' get me wrong - but holy hell there is far too much moaning and groaning about something that is not only insignificant but also entirely unfounded.

At any rate - visit the law school and I think you'll be incredibly surprised.

ps- not really directing this at you shredrrrr, just in general.



Didn't mean to make it sound like UMN has a terrible building. I visited it few months ago and it honestly wasn't bad. It just wasn't anything special. Compared to Wisconsin, Marquette, and Georgetown, it simply didn't compete. I will, however, say that it is nicer than lots of other schools I have looked at (I'm looking at you Iowa).

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby MidwestJosh » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:51 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote:Didn't mean to make it sound like UMN has a terrible building. I visited it few months ago and it honestly wasn't bad. It just wasn't anything special. Compared to Wisconsin, Marquette, and Georgetown, it simply didn't compete. I will, however, say that it is nicer than lots of other schools I have looked at (I'm looking at you Iowa).



Agreed. I get you. A couple notes: aside from Wisconsin's library, nothing special there. Marquette is a brand new school - much like University of St. Thomas. Gtown and Mich are nice - absolutely. But let's be clear, gorgeous law buildings are the exception, not the norm. Of the 200+ ABA law schools, I'll say less than 10 are exceptionally nice. I visited 16 law schools and found UMN to be in the middle of the pack.

But you've already said it, as have others... school choice shouldn't be made on the basis of subjective views of aesthetics or one-sided anecdotes. It should come down to a host of factors that are more important - like ThreeRivers laid out above.

croser
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:19 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby croser » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:58 pm

WL yesterday. :( 3.47 w/ academic honors, 170 first take, URM (female NA).

After looking over the past few pages I saw that perhaps it was because I didn't read the freaking directions and mention U of M in my PS like it says to on their website. Totally freaked out/mad at myself, however after looking back at the LSAC website directions for U of M it only says "It may be helpful to mention ..." which I didn't think necessary after already answering the Why U of M in the app itself with some pretty specific stuff. Not enough apparently??

Will write a Why U of M within the next few days and submit it. My question is did I totally screw myself over for scholarship money? Do they ever get $$ to people off the waitlist or is this a dumb question? Also, do they not touch the waitlist until April or if I send something now will they look at it again before then??

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby MidwestJosh » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:11 pm

croser wrote:. My question is did I totally screw myself over for scholarship money? Do they ever get $$ to people off the waitlist or is this a dumb question? Also, do they not touch the waitlist until April or if I send something now will they look at it again before then??



No. It's entirely based on Date of Admit/GPA/LSAT/URM.

Best of luck

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby MormonChristian » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Anyone have ANY insight of the U of M waitlist?

I have a very good friend she is an AA (163 3.04) and wants to know if anyone knows what has historically happened in the past.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby minnbills » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:40 pm

MormonChristian wrote:Anyone have ANY insight of the U of M waitlist?

I have a very good friend she is an AA (163 3.04) and wants to know if anyone knows what has historically happened in the past.


I've heard they draw from the waitlist up until the last minute. I remember hearing about a william mitchell student who was called out of class to go to the U.

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby Gail » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:41 pm

fuck. you. Minnesota.

i know that you're going to reject me. But be kind enough to tell me in a timely manner.


bastards.

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby Unagi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:46 pm

just got an email with my acceptance package attached!!
full tuition scholarship!!! :D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Unagi wrote:just got an email with my acceptance package attached!!
full tuition scholarship!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome!

User avatar
fltanglab
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby fltanglab » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:55 pm

msblaw89 wrote:
Unagi wrote:just got an email with my acceptance package attached!!
full tuition scholarship!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome!


That's amazing! Congratulations!!!

User avatar
Smumps
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby Smumps » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:09 pm

croser wrote:WL yesterday. :( 3.47 w/ academic honors, 170 first take, URM (female NA).

After looking over the past few pages I saw that perhaps it was because I didn't read the freaking directions and mention U of M in my PS like it says to on their website. Totally freaked out/mad at myself, however after looking back at the LSAC website directions for U of M it only says "It may be helpful to mention ..." which I didn't think necessary after already answering the Why U of M in the app itself with some pretty specific stuff. Not enough apparently??

Will write a Why U of M within the next few days and submit it. My question is did I totally screw myself over for scholarship money? Do they ever get $$ to people off the waitlist or is this a dumb question? Also, do they not touch the waitlist until April or if I send something now will they look at it again before then??


This is confusing to me. 3.47 is above their 25%, and 170 is above their 75%. The number of test takers is down this year, substantially. What the hell is going on? Is the applicant pool so strong that they can WL/Deny someone with these kind of numbers? I'm 3.5/171, and starting to think a WL is coming also. Someone explain this to me.

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:11 pm

Smumps wrote:
croser wrote:WL yesterday. :( 3.47 w/ academic honors, 170 first take, URM (female NA).

After looking over the past few pages I saw that perhaps it was because I didn't read the freaking directions and mention U of M in my PS like it says to on their website. Totally freaked out/mad at myself, however after looking back at the LSAC website directions for U of M it only says "It may be helpful to mention ..." which I didn't think necessary after already answering the Why U of M in the app itself with some pretty specific stuff. Not enough apparently??

Will write a Why U of M within the next few days and submit it. My question is did I totally screw myself over for scholarship money? Do they ever get $$ to people off the waitlist or is this a dumb question? Also, do they not touch the waitlist until April or if I send something now will they look at it again before then??


This is confusing to me. 3.47 is above their 25%, and 170 is above their 75%. The number of test takers is down this year, substantially. What the hell is going on? Is the applicant pool so strong that they can WL/Deny someone with these kind of numbers? I'm 3.5/171, and starting to think a WL is coming also. Someone explain this to me.

I honestly think there has to be something more to the story... of possibly a YP... a 170 3.47 URM would be a shoe in at HYS IMO

User avatar
Unagi
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:55 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby Unagi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:14 pm

fltanglab wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Unagi wrote:just got an email with my acceptance package attached!!
full tuition scholarship!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome!


That's amazing! Congratulations!!!


Thanks!!!
I forgot to say: 2.5 GPA stipulation

ljbreck
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby ljbreck » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Admitted Monday by phone call. GPA: 3.9, LSAT 166. Current status online says admit letter, financial aid information, and scholarship letter are in the mail. Congrats to everyone and admitted and good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

User avatar
msblaw89
Posts: 2669
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby msblaw89 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Unagi wrote:
fltanglab wrote:
msblaw89 wrote:
Unagi wrote:just got an email with my acceptance package attached!!
full tuition scholarship!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Awesome!


That's amazing! Congratulations!!!


Thanks!!!
I forgot to say: 2.5 GPA stipulation

Shouldn't be too difficult I would imagine

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby minnbills » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:17 pm

msblaw89 wrote:Shouldn't be too difficult I would imagine


I think it's equivalent to good standing.

Schang1
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 pm

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby Schang1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:12 pm

Received $27,000 scholarship per year! Didn't expect this! Now I *might* consider this school..

User avatar
oaken
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:27 am

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Postby oaken » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Schang1 wrote:Received $27,000 scholarship per year! Didn't expect this! Now I *might* consider this school..


Can I ask what your numbers are? I see that my scholarship letter is in the mail and am just trying to guess while I wait...

EDIT: Also, congratulations!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”