University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Smumps

Bronze

Re: University of Minnesota applicants 2011-12 cycle (c/o 2015)

Post by Smumps » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:16 pm

mushybrain wrote:WL with 3.7/174/no weird or bad softs. How rude.
Guess it's TTTTT for you then. On a serious note, Minnesota does some hardcore YP'ing. More than anyone else I've seen, by far.

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Rude indeed.

ricsllscir

Bronze

Post by ricsllscir » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Hrmmmm, just updated again...1/12 IR -> 1/13 IR...anybody else? does it just update daily?

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:06 pm

Smumps wrote:
Guess it's TTTTT for you then. On a serious note, Minnesota does some hardcore YP'ing. More than anyone else I've seen, by far.
Putting your subjective interpretation aside, and to be fair, Minnesota and its immediate peer schools (WUSTL, BU, USC, Notre Dame) attract more applicants that have T14 numbers than the likes of Iowa down... so it makes sense that they would have to pay more attention to their yield. Furthermore, Minnesota does request that applicants write on, "Why Minnesota?" and allows up to 5 pages in the personal statement to accommodate that request. An applicant with T14 numbers, no ties to Minnesota and no attempt at answering, "Why Minnesota?" should rightfully be WL or denied in my book - not because of yield protection, but b/c of the incredibly low likelihood that they'll attend and the plethora of applicants who are dying to attend that would love their seat.

I've made my views regarding yield protection known to the UMN admissions staff and every other LSAC member school. I spoke a year and ago in Fort Lauderdale about the negative effect such practices have on admissions. I strongly dislike it. With that said, until a stronger lobby is made to US News to change its ranking methodology or until rankings become less significant, schools are going to do what they can to maintain their competitive advantage. Welcome to the legal community - where change happens at a glacial pace.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:23 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:
Smumps wrote:
Putting your subjective interpretation aside, and to be fair, Minnesota and its immediate peer schools (WUSTL, BU, USC, Notre Dame) attract more applicants that have T14 numbers than the likes of Iowa down... so it makes sense that they would have to pay more attention to their yield. Furthermore, Minnesota does request that applicants write on, "Why Minnesota?" and allows up to 5 pages in the personal statement to accommodate that request. An applicant with T14 numbers, no ties to Minnesota and no attempt at answering, "Why Minnesota?" should rightfully be WL or denied in my book - not because of yield protection, but b/c of the incredibly low likelihood that they'll attend and the plethora of applicants who are dying to attend that would love their seat.

I've made my views regarding yield protection known to the UMN admissions staff and every other LSAC member school. I spoke a year and ago in Fort Lauderdale about the negative effect such practices have on admissions. I strongly dislike it. With that said, until a stronger lobby is made to US News to change its ranking methodology or until rankings become less significant, schools are going to do what they can to maintain their competitive advantage. Welcome to the legal community - where change happens at a glacial pace.
I don't think anyone is saying UMN is a bad school because of YP, just that it happens a lot. I know you love the school, but you can't deny that they YP, what appears to be, a lot.

And isn't the reason you gave for why they deny good applicants the very definition of YP? They are denying students, despite superior numbers, because they don't think they'll end up at UMN. My definition might be wrong, but isn't that exactly what YP is?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fltanglab

Silver

Post by fltanglab » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:17 pm

FINALLY updated to 1/13 IR from 10/13.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:29 pm

fltanglab wrote:FINALLY updated to 1/13 IR from 10/13.
I might be all alone in the distant past now. Stuck at 11/9

PizzaShrapnel

Bronze

Post by PizzaShrapnel » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:42 pm

+1... think mine was from 11/30 or something like that.

BKCentral

Bronze

Post by BKCentral » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:24 am

+1, was stuck at 10/12. Good to know they must have found my application again :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MNbound

New

Post by MNbound » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:44 pm

neeko wrote:
No, I'm still stuck at 11/9 with you.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:34 pm

shredderrrrrr wrote: I don't think anyone is saying UMN is a bad school because of YP, just that it happens a lot. I know you love the school, but you can't deny that they YP, what appears to be, a lot.

And isn't the reason you gave for why they deny good applicants the very definition of YP? They are denying students, despite superior numbers, because they don't think they'll end up at UMN. My definition might be wrong, but isn't that exactly what YP is?
I agree. I'm not denying that they do it. At all. I just said they did. And I completely disagree with the practice and am not proud of it, in the slightest.

My point about the students I referenced is students who fail to follow directions to write about, "Why Minnesota" (regardless of whether they have higher numbers or not - I should have been more clear about that) should be WL or denied in order to make room for people who really do want to go. Generally speaking, YP is purely based straight off of the numbers - with little substantive inquiry into the applicants file - and I think that's ridiculous.

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:10 am

removed for irrelevance thanks to midwestjosh's clarification.
Last edited by EMZE on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:03 am

EMZE wrote:Changing directions, I received a phone call from a graduate of UMN class of (about 5 years ago) and he describd all this awesome stuff he was doing. Well I requested to maintain contact with him, and as a consequence found out more about the stuff he mentioned he did post graduation - all of it was with the university. After doing that for 3 years, he started up his own one man lawfirm....

Isn't the aforementioned an example of how schools doctor their numbers for employment. And then, to end up starting your own law firm in a completed unrelated field from the academic work you were doing at the university... isn't this the exact path that we are all warned against? Outwardly he spoke really highly about his experiences, but as soon as I put any pressure on him about why he stayed at te university or why he chose to start his own firm, he gave me the honest answer that "there were no jobs in the field I spent law school studyng, nor anywhere else, so to try and keep my career going, I started my own firm."

Hearing this from an alum really turned me off to the school. Hearing this from an alum that the school put in touch with me will probaby lead me to withdraw in the next few days. I am really disappointed.
You're talking about Kyle Lewis. I know Kyle personally (and have for several years) and can confidently say that you're leaving out part of the story; and no, it is certainly not an example of UMN doctoring employment numbers. Kyle had a very rare opportunity to be part of some really great things. UMN (like most public schools) is not in the business of creating jobs for alums in order to pad their numbers. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but public education funding has been slashed around the country. Anyways, If you'd like to have a more substantive conversation with him and provide context for quotes you choose to use, I think that would be fairer. Either way - I'm not understanding the problem here. On one hand you're complaining about schools not providing truthful reporting data and then on the other you're complaining because you don't like his truthful answers to your questions. Would you prefer the school provided you with someone who had everything go perfectly smooth for them, or someone who just flatly lied to you? I'm seriously not following you here. At any rate - the legal market tanked nation-wide, Kyle's experience isn't relegated to UMN. UMN faired better than a substantial number of schools, but of course there were graduates who've had difficulty. I agree that the employment reporting numbers need to be overhauled - but that isn't a UMN specific problem. That is across all law schools b/c of USNWR.

By the way - "completely unrelated academic field" isn't an accurate depiction of how law school curriculum works. There is no law practice that is completely unrelated to a juris doctorate program.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

EMZE

Silver

Post by EMZE » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:02 am

Wasn't my intention to bash the school. We hear, as applicants, time and again how schools will hire students to boost their stats. If this isn't the case, then I apologize and will edit my post now. Did not want to create some unneccessary consternation against the school. In fact, I am glad that you are well informed on this and it makes me feel a lot better about the situation.

mooseman2216

New

Post by mooseman2216 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:35 am

MNbound wrote:
neeko wrote:
No, I'm still stuck at 11/9 with you.
+1

Zelda

Bronze

Post by Zelda » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:43 am

Withdrew last week. Good luck everyone!

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Under review 1/17....finally!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clairech

New

Post by clairech » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:08 pm

Hey everyone! I'm complete and waiting for review on Jan 17th.
I'm an international student, does anyone have idea how long it will take for international studens to get decision? Thanks!

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:50 am

My date finally changed from 11/9

ThatGuyWithTheFace

New

Post by ThatGuyWithTheFace » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:30 pm

neeko wrote:My date finally changed from 11/9
I've been in review for a while, too, and my date just updated to 1/23, any one care to fill me in on what this means, if anything?

ashley12

Bronze

Post by ashley12 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:35 pm

ThatGuyWithTheFace wrote:
I've been in review for a while, too, and my date just updated to 1/23, any one care to fill me in on what this means, if anything?
On the status change, it says it means nothing if your status updates periodically. Mine has updated twice since I went UR.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MNbound

New

Post by MNbound » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:03 pm

AHHH you're leaving me behind Neeko, still stuck at 11/9, no date change...

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:13 pm

MNbound wrote:
AHHH you're leaving me behind Neeko, still stuck at 11/9, no date change...
Haha I'm sorry! Hopefully you'll catch up soon

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:03 am

Sooo... I think Minnesota has slowy become my number 1 choice as of now (Still not secured in that decision), but I was looking at different things about life as law student there..

This obviously doesn't have much impact at all in if I'll attend Minnesota, but something I'm curious about lol

How good do you have to be to play of the Fighting Mondales hockey team? lol

I was never a superstar hockey player, but I was semi-decent (probably 3rd or 4th best on my HS / travelling teams). Sadly in the last 5 years, I've only played about twice and my skills have rapidly diminished so much so that I'm pretty bad. I loved hockey and it'd be kind of fun to get back into it...wondering how good of players the team generally attracts. Obviously I know I won't be amazing, but it wouldn't be that much fun embarrassing myself either lol

MidwestJosh

Bronze

Post by MidwestJosh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:05 am

If you want on, you're on. Done.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”